jbryand101b

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
For magnesium supplement needs.

Which would be best?

What I guess I'm asking is well creatine magnesium chelate provide enough magnesium for my needs?

Out should I just sick with magnesium chelate?

domore

Awards
This is Dr. Houser on magnesium:

"This is one which will depend upon the salt used. In other words – magnesium orotate has wonderful bioavailability but the orotic acid molecule is very large limiting the amount of elemental magnesium you get. If using something more common like magnesium oxide, you are talking about 2 oxygen molecules limiting the amount of elemental magensium to a much lighter degree. Magnesium oxide is our standardizing molecule where we would use about 400 mg per day to ensure adequate amounts, whereas magnesium orotate is about double this. Most other magnesium salts fall somewhere between the two.
Keep in mind this general rule of thumb when shopping for magnesium, the lower the amount of elemental magnesium, the higher the level of bioavailability (there are a few exceptions to this BUT that generally holds true)."

I personally take 400mg of magnesium glycinate. SNS MCC has 180mg of Magnesium?

jbryand101b

jbryand101b

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'm looking for info on chelated magnesium, but thanks though.

domore

Awards
I'm looking for info on chelated magnesium, but thanks though.
The information I presented was to place bounds on magnesium intake. In terms of bio-availability, he says that most other salts (e.g. chelated magnesium) will fall in between magnesium orotate and magnesium oxide. The general population is deficient in magnesium, so extra magnesium on top of your MCC won't hurt.

To clarify my experience with magnesium glycinate (chelated magnesium = magnesium molecules molecularly bonded to amino acids), I supplement with 400mg each night on top of my diet and MCC.

If your diet is rich in magnesium, MCC will probably suffice. But, I have no problems my extra magnesium intake and MCC.

domore

Awards
Just trying to help. If you want some more detailed info, you know who to go to---the man, the myth, the legend: Coop

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I have some ancient strength trans-dermal magnesium. Makes my skin itch and it leaves a chalk like substance when it dries. It does seem to help with relaxation though once you take a shower and wash it off.

domore

Awards
I have some ancient strength trans-dermal magnesium. Makes my skin itch and it leaves a chalk like substance when it dries. It does seem to help with relaxation though once you take a shower and wash it off.
I have used it, too. I would like to see more studies trying to duplicate the study that says transdermal magnesium increases DHEA. If it does actually increases DHEA (above normal levels), then I will give it another shot. If not, I'll stick magnesium glycinate/taurate or orotate.

fightbackhxc

fightbackhxc

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
For magnesium supplement needs.

Which would be best?

What I guess I'm asking is well creatine magnesium chelate provide enough magnesium for my needs?

Out should I just sick with magnesium chelate?
It depends on how deficient you might be with magnesium. I opt for magnesium oil for my needs and also use cmc. Topical magnesium will only absorb if your body needs it. I I tend to opt for the magnesium creatine chelate

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
I prefer chelated magnesium to other salts. Bioavailability studies didn't account for concurrent mineral uptake. Bry, 6 caps of SNS MCC a day will actually give you as much bioavailable magnesium as a full-dosed mag supplement.

jbryand101b

jbryand101b

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I prefer chelated magnesium to other salts. Bioavailability studies didn't account for concurrent mineral uptake. Bry, 6 caps of SNS MCC a day will actually give you as much bioavailable magnesium as a full-dosed mag supplement.
That's what I was wondering, thanks coop

jbryand101b

jbryand101b

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I went with magnesium chelate until I can get a bottle of sns creatine mag chelate.

chedapalooza

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
So when I start using this in Jan, should I stop using my calcium/magnesium supp? I believe u told me to only dose 4 caps MCC tho..

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
So when I start using this in Jan, should I stop using my calcium/magnesium supp? I believe u told me to only dose 4 caps MCC tho..
First, if the doses are high enough, you really shouldn't be taking calcium and magnesium together. Second, I'd need to know the doses to make such a judgment. I wouldn't take over 600mg of bioavailable Mg daily

chedapalooza

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
First, if the doses are high enough, you really shouldn't be taking calcium and magnesium together. Second, I'd need to know the doses to make such a judgment. I wouldn't take over 600mg of bioavailable Mg daily

image-3797475664.jpg

I take one cap at thistime each night with 1000iu d3 and protein shake

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
That product is beyond awful. You're getting next to zero bioavailable magnesium and too high a dose of calcium for concomitant uptake. I'd just return the product.

chedapalooza

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
That product is beyond awful. You're getting next to zero bioavailable magnesium and too high a dose of calcium for concomitant uptake. I'd just return the product.
:( it's almost empty hah

For the future can u suggest a good product?

domore

Awards
:( it's almost empty hah

For the future can u suggest a good product?
For a magnesium supplement?

I like magnesium in the form of orotate, taurate, or glycinate.

I stay away from oxide, citrate, and aspartate forms.

Also, I'm curious about magnesium threonate. Coop, what do you think about the (funded) studies on MgT?

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
For a magnesium supplement?

I like magnesium in the form of orotate, taurate, or glycinate.

I stay away from oxide, citrate, and aspartate forms.

Also, I'm curious about magnesium threonate. Coop, what do you think about the (funded) studies on MgT?
I like a chelated​ magnesium glycinate supplement. Haven't looked much into threonate frankly, but I recall my friend who suffers from anxiety disorder saying he uses it along with St. John's Wort for relaxation.

CJ_Xfit89

CJ_Xfit89

Board Sponsor
Awards
Just trying to help. If you want some more detailed info, you know who to go to---the man, the myth, the legend: Coop
The chuck Norris of pharma lol...coop IS science.
Mr knowledge is fukin awesome bloke

-Chris
EBF Rep
Mobile App

domore

Awards
I like a chelated​ magnesium glycinate supplement. Haven't looked much into threonate frankly, but I recall my friend who suffers from anxiety disorder saying he uses it along with St. John's Wort for relaxation.
In a rat study, researchers found that it was better at crossing the BBB (they say the threonate acts as a carrier), and after two weeks of treatment, the rats had significant increases in synaptic density, improvement in synaptic functioning, etc.

I was unaware of the level of importance of magnesium in brain functioning.

There are limited studies on this compound, but it would be neat to see more.

Here are two:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20152124
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22016520

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
In a rat study, researchers found that it was better at crossing the BBB (they say the threonate acts as a carrier), and after two weeks of treatment, the rats had significant increases in synaptic density, improvement in synaptic functioning, etc.

I was unaware of the level of importance of magnesium in brain functioning.

There are limited studies on this compound, but it would be neat to see more.

Here are two:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20152124
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22016520
The rat studies with respect to BBB penetration can be fickle since rats have notably increased BBB permeability versus higher mammals like humans.

domore

Awards
Are you using the transdermal magnesium as a means to get your magnesium, or are you going after the so-called DHEA increase?

I remember Dr. Houser talking about it in his subforum.

The rat studies with respect to BBB penetration can be fickle since rats have notably increased BBB permeability versus higher mammals like humans.
LEF is jumping on MgT like a pogo stick. I'll try to find some human studies.