From Runner Sprinter?

blackguy

blackguy

Awards
From Runner to Sprinter?

Hello fellow weight lifters and athletes. I am 17 years and will be a senior in little over a month now. I ran track last and wanted to do sprinting but was chosen to be the lucky son of a gun to be the teams only two miler mainly because the coach saw my skinny appearance.(I only weigh 115). This year I am making it my mission to avoid the hell that is distance running and build explosive power so my coach will make me a sprinter. All I want to know is what supplements and workouts I should do to accomplish this goal. Please refrain from telling me to stick with distance or and discouraging info unless its constructive. I am dead set on this goal. As far as supplements go I was thinking whey protein, Beta alanine, and creatine mono, as a base, and am thinking of doing compound lower and upper body lifts.Aditional info: I also have been lifting weights for 2 years now but never perfected the ideal bulking diet, so I plan on doing the GOMAD diet. Please give me any advice you might have.

CJ_Xfit89

CJ_Xfit89

Board Sponsor
Awards
Hello fellow weight lifters and athletes. I am 17 years and will be a senior in little over a month now. I ran track last and wanted to do sprinting but was chosen to be the lucky son of a gun to be the teams only two miler mainly because the coach saw my skinny appearance.(I only weigh 115). This year I am making it my mission to avoid the hell that is distance running and build explosive power so my coach will make me a sprinter. All I want to know is what supplements and workouts I should do to accomplish this goal. Please refrain from telling me to stick with distance or and discouraging info unless its constructive. I am dead set on this goal. As far as supplements go I was thinking whey protein, Beta alanine, and creatine mono, as a base, and am thinking of doing compound lower and upper body lifts.Aditional info: I also have been lifting weights for 2 years now but never perfected the ideal bulking diet, so I plan on doing the GOMAD diet. Please give me any advice you might have.
Zir red will chime in. Pm him

Jim2542

Jim2542

Banned
Awards
GOMAD would be good for putting on weight fast but be sure to keep track of your weight, performance, and physical appearance as too much fat gain will hinder your goals. As far as workout programs go I really liked Joe DeFrancos West Side for Skinny Bastards program when I played football and ran the 200/100 in high school. Its a good program for building some good solid mass and improving athleticism. Add 2 days of direct sport specific training ie. Sprints.
And you should see some good progress by the time track season comes around. :)

CJ_Xfit89

CJ_Xfit89

Board Sponsor
Awards
GOMAD would be good for putting on weight fast but be sure to keep track of your weight, performance, and physical appearance as too much fat gain will hinder your goals. As far as workout programs go I really liked Joe DeFrancos West Side for Skinny Bastards program when I played football and ran the 200/100 in high school. Its a good program for building some good solid mass and improving athleticism. Add 2 days of direct sport specific training ie. Sprints.
And you should see some good progress by the time track season comes around. :)
Woukd you recommend ws4sb for cutting? Ie deficit state

Jim2542

Jim2542

Banned
Awards
Woukd you recommend ws4sb for cutting? Ie deficit state
Well as the name implies it is geared more towards muscular hypertrophy and athleticism. But it is a very well thought out program and should be very effective for a cut. Especially considering the 4x a week which leaves a good deal of time for recovery and extra days for that added cardio. If (out have the energy to attack the program as written in a caloric deficit then I say why not do it. He leaves a lot of room for one to modify it on their own as it can be a 3 day or 4 day split (I think the original was 3 but the newer revised is 4) and provides a refreshing change of pace after you've been doing the same program for awhile. I normally would do it during my strength focused training cycle (which I'm on now) but decided to go with Wendlers 5/3/1 triumvirate this time.

CJ_Xfit89

CJ_Xfit89

Board Sponsor
Awards
Well as the name implies it is geared more towards muscular hypertrophy and athleticism. But it is a very well thought out program and should be very effective for a cut. Especially considering the 4x a week which leaves a good deal of time for recovery and extra days for that added cardio. If (out have the energy to attack the program as written in a caloric deficit then I say why not do it. He leaves a lot of room for one to modify it on their own as it can be a 3 day or 4 day split (I think the original was 3 but the newer revised is 4) and provides a refreshing change of pace after you've been doing the same program for awhile. I normally would do it during my strength focused training cycle (which I'm on now) but decided to go with Wendlers 5/3/1 triumvirate this time.
531 is great while on keto. Looking for fat loss mainly after I finish my advanced GBC program.
I respond best to glycolytic workout schedules.

Jim2542

Jim2542

Banned
Awards
531 is great while on keto. Looking for fat loss mainly after I finish my advanced GBC program.
I respond best to glycolytic workout schedules.
I'm not entirely sure of how you will respond to it but the link for the article is:

http://defrancostraining.com/articles/38-articles/65-westside-for-skinny-bastards-part3.html

Based on your current training experience this may not be as high intensity as you're used to but cutting the rest periods and throwing in some sled/car pushes and pulls could really be the kind of boost you're looking for.

My last hypertrophy cycle was based on Layne Norton's PHAT training with lower Rep ranges and more sets to keep the volume similar but in Rep ranges that I respond to better. But after this 8-12 weeks I will probably go back to this program mixed in with some of the old drills I did when I played football. Hope that helps you but with your training experience I doubt I told you anything you don't already know :)

blackguy

blackguy

Awards
Thanks for the info guys I really appreciate. I will look into Joe DeFranco's west side for skinny bastards program Jim.

Jim2542

Jim2542

Banned
Awards
Thanks for the info guys I really appreciate. I will look into Joe DeFranco's west side for skinny bastards program Jim.
He has a YouTube channel where he puts together video footage of some of the stuff that goes on in his gym and he's got some incredible results from the guys that can afford to be trained by him.

CJ_Xfit89

CJ_Xfit89

Board Sponsor
Awards
blackguy

blackguy

Awards
I see, so I take it didn't work out too good for you then at the time?

CJ_Xfit89

CJ_Xfit89

Board Sponsor
Awards
I see, so I take it didn't work out too good for you then at the time?
No. But now I understand the movements and correct techniques, aka experience with the iron, I have moved up to power cleans and power and.explosive movements.big bang for ya buck for all facets to build muscle and.burn fat, increase power and strength etc

GeovanniG

GeovanniG

Awards
If you want to be a sprinter, start sprinting.

Also, include Olympic movements like the power clean into your program in order to get a fast acceleration.

Stick to compound movements especially the DL (and it's variations). The glutes and hamstrings are responsible for your speed. So train them hard if you want to get fast.