How Much Arginine Pre Workout?

Page 2 of 2 First 12
  1. Registered User
    Stats
    5'7"  162 lbs.

Im gonna give you the standard response as it fits: try the low number and taper up to talerance.

Try NO Xplode + 3g arginine as see how it goes. I'm gonna guess its gonna total to 5-6g.
    As for OEP, take 1 cap then 1 after. Do you lift in the AM or PM?
    By believing passionately in something that still does not exist, we create it. The nonexistent is whatever we have not sufficiently desired.
    Franz Kafka

2. Registered User

I lift in Am. Wake up at 8 lift at 1030. Would 2g arginine and 1 oep pill be ok?
  3. Registered User
    Stats
    5'7"  162 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Aleksandar37 View Post
    Do you mean arginine or agmatine?
    Woops, typo. The initial conversation was about Agmatine yes but the post was direct towards arganine. Ive tried HUGE doses of l-arganine and found nothing. The byproduct, agmatine, is more promising.
    By believing passionately in something that still does not exist, we create it. The nonexistent is whatever we have not sufficiently desired.
    Franz Kafka
    •   

4. Pro Virili Parte
    Board Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Aleksandar37 View Post
    Nah. You didn't even have to say anything. I saw you pop up and knew you would want world peace
    Oh damn, what kind of rep do I have round here? I need to go off and start some trouble somewhere..
    "The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance." - Socrates
  5. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  210 lbs.

I know Arginine has been largely rendered are useless these days but what do you think of its application here?

BCAAs prevents cardio-induced muscle breakdown
    Small amount of BCAAs and L-arginine prevents cardio-induced muscle breakdown

A cardio session especially when done after strength training has lots of positive health effects, but even low-intensity cardio exercise breaks down muscle tissue. For strength athletes cardio is a double-edged sword. Researchers at Otsuka Pharmaceutical in Japan think you can make one side of the sword less sharp by taking 2 g BCAAs and 0.5 g arginine.

High doses of BCAAs reduce muscle breakdown during physical exercise and boost the body's anabolic response. The researchers wanted to know whether lower doses of BCAAs supplemented with a small amount of L-arginine might do the trick as well.
    The Japanese did an experiment with 4 men and 4 women, all of whom were healthy, in their mid-twenties and untrained. The subjects were given breakfast, after which they had to cycle three times for 20 minutes at 50 percent of their maximal intensity. They rested for 5 minutes between each session.
    Ten minutes after starting this anything but intensive workout, the subjects took their amino acids, dissolved in a sports drink. The method of administration gives an indication of the researchers' intentions. Then the researchers repeated the experiment, but gave the subjects a placebo.

The researchers measured the amount of amino acids that the subjects absorbed and excreted during the workout via a catheter inserted into the leg. The more amino acids released from a leg, the greater the muscle breakdown, the researchers reasoned.
    The tables below show the net effect: the uptake in the leg minus the release. As you can see, the supplement reduced the release of glutamine and alanine.

The effect was greatest at the end of the workout during the third session. The figures are for phenylalanine. If you look at this amino acid, the mix of BCAAs and L-arginine blocks muscle breakdown almost completely during the third workout.

The anticatabolic effect of the amino acid-laced sports drink would probably have been greater if the test subjects hadn't drunk it during the workout but beforehand. Higher doses would undoubtedly have had a greater anticatabolic effect.
    The research results suggest a strategy that could well give strength athletes more benefit from doing cardio after their weight training: take a dose of BCAAs and L-arginine before getting on the treadmill.

Source:

Int J Sports Med. 2007 Jun;28(6):531-8.

Quote Originally Posted by mr.cooper69 View Post
    Ditch the arginine. Acquire Hemavol, SNS Agmatine, or Thermolife C-bol
    A-Minds HYPE-SLAYER! All posts & feedback are guaranteed to be unsolicited and legit
    "The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge. Fools despise wisdom & instruction"
    Proverbs 1:7
  6. Registered User

Could you link me to the study? I can tell this is ergolog simply by the solid methods synopsis but unreasonable extrapolations.
    http://pescience.com/
    http://selectprotein.com/
    The above is my own opinion and does not reflect the opinion of PES
  7. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  210 lbs.

I saw the info on MindandMuscle

From google - this is the best i could come up with:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17497593
    A-Minds HYPE-SLAYER! All posts & feedback are guaranteed to be unsolicited and legit
    "The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge. Fools despise wisdom & instruction"
  8. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Whacked View Post
    I saw the info on MindandMuscle

From google - this is the best i could come up with:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17497593
    I'll delve into this a bit later, but rest assured that the results had nothing to do with 0.5g of arginine. In fact, the authors did not even cite arginine in the results section of the abstract, and all analyzed markers were done on BCAA-dependent factors.

Now, I am surprised that a mere 2g of BCAA inhibited muscle proteolysis, but the fact that significant proteolysis was even occurring leads me to believe that the subjects were fasted (no full text access yet so I can't check the methods). If the subjects were indeed fasted, this is nothing new as BCAAs are definitely valuable preworkout for those who train in a "fasted" state.

Thanks for the link!
  9. Pro Virili Parte
    Board Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by mr.cooper69 View Post

Now, I am surprised that a mere 2g of BCAA inhibited muscle proteolysis, but the fact that significant proteolysis was even occurring leads me to believe that the subjects were fasted (no full text access yet so I can't check the methods). If the subjects were indeed fasted, this is nothing new as BCAAs are definitely valuable preworkout for those who train in a "fasted" state.

Thanks for the link!
    This is also what I initially thought when I read seen it as all aminos (yes even NE-AA) have this capability but from the ergo-log write up they specifically mention the subjects had breakfast.
    "The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance." - Socrates
  10. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by JudoJosh View Post
    This is also what I initially thought when I read seen it as all aminos (yes even NE-AA) have this capability but from the ergo-log write up they specifically mention the subjects had breakfast.
    Then I will indeed have to read this full text. Logic dictates that ingestion of any carbohydrate/protein will obviously blunt proteolysis (I need to see the intensity of these 20 min cycling bouts because you'd think they'd be aerobic...), but the extremely low dose is what piques my interest. If you have the full text, I will PM you my email address.
  11. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  210 lbs.

Thanks. Loking forward to the forthcoming posts.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Arginine, Agmatine and L-Arginine AKG
    By Hawk in forum Supplements
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 01-07-2012, 01:24 AM
  2. Arginine akg
    By zombiemuscle in forum Supplements
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-02-2010, 09:06 AM
  3. Arginine Alpha Ketoglutarate or Arginine ethyl ester