What's a supplement that lowers cholesterol?

Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  1. Registered User
    DGA3's Avatar
    Stats
    5'6"  175 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    419
    Answers
    0

    What's a supplement that lowers cholesterol?


    Is there anything out there?

    I know that fish oil helps, especially by lowering triglycerides, and proper nutrition and exercise help increase HDL (good) cholesterol.

    What helps lower LDL (bad) cholesterol?

  2. On my grind
    Board Sponsor
    3clipseGT's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  182 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    9,944
    Answers
    1


    Quote Originally Posted by DGA3 View Post
    Is there anything out there?

    I know that fish oil helps, especially by lowering triglycerides, and proper nutrition and exercise help increase HDL (good) cholesterol.

    What helps lower LDL (bad) cholesterol?
    Check out heart health by iForce.
    E-Pharm Rep... PM me with any questions or concerns
  3. Registered User
    stankyleg's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  225 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    1,491
    Answers
    0


    Niacin
    Everything I say is fictional and for entertainment purposes only. Do not ask me for sources. I dont have any.
    •   
       

  4. Registered User
    Ev52's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Age
    31
    Posts
    2,334
    Answers
    0


    Pistachio's
  5. Registered User
    ryansm's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  305 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    8,142
    Answers
    0


    Look into Toco-8 as well, Complete Vitamin E - Natural source of Tocotrienols for hair loss, cardiovascular health, and testosterone production. Can give you 25% off

    Proven to help reduce cholesterol while improving the HDL : LDL ratio

  6. Registered User
    Loudy Rowdy's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    477
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by 3clipseGT View Post
    Check out heart health by iForce.
    Thank you sir... Heart Health is very new and I cant wait to make it a staple of mine. My father had his first heart attack when he was 35 (Im 37) so lowering triglycerides and increase HDL is very f*cking important to me...

    From iForceNutrition.com website:

    The Active Ingredient In Heart Help (Bergamonte) was found to provide the following Clinically Proven results:
    26.53% Reduction in Cholesterol
    40.1% Increase in HDL(Good Cholesterol)
    36% Reduction in LDL(Bad Cholesterol)
    38.8% Reduction in Triglycerides
    22.3% Reduction in Blood Sugar


    Hope this helps DGA3!!!
    IForce Nutrition online forum/message board rep
  7. Registered User
    baldwanus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,230
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by 3clipseGT View Post
    Check out heart health by iForce.
    Quote Originally Posted by Loudy Rowdy View Post
    Thank you sir... Heart Health is very new and I cant wait to make it a staple of mine. My father had his first heart attack when he was 35 (Im 37) so lowering triglycerides and increase HDL is very f*cking important to me...

    From iForceNutrition.com website:

    The Active Ingredient In Heart Help (Bergamonte) was found to provide the following Clinically Proven results:
    26.53% Reduction in Cholesterol
    40.1% Increase in HDL(Good Cholesterol)
    36% Reduction in LDL(Bad Cholesterol)
    38.8% Reduction in Triglycerides
    22.3% Reduction in Blood Sugar


    Hope this helps DGA3!!!
    what these guys said.....however, the products name is Heart HELP, not Heart Health

    Hopefully we'll be able to see some Heart Help combo's from NP in teh future
    iForce Nutrition Online Representative Manager
    iTrain. iCompete. iDominate…iForce!
    www.iforcenutrition.com
  8. On my grind
    Board Sponsor
    3clipseGT's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  182 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    9,944
    Answers
    1


    Quote Originally Posted by baldwanus View Post
    what these guys said.....however, the products name is Heart HELP, not Heart Health

    Hopefully we'll be able to see some Heart Help combo's from NP in teh future
    Crap, my bad lol.
    E-Pharm Rep... PM me with any questions or concerns
  9. Registered User
    criticalbench's Avatar
    Stats
    5'1"  0 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    7,829
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by stankyleg View Post
    Niacin
    Niacin causes me to ITCH like nuts to the point i have to burn my legs in the shower to stop it.. lol i tried several times.

    Heart Help is def a solid option; it will be replacing my zocor in my next pct.
    iForce Nutrition Representative
    iTrain. iCompete. iDominate…iForce!
    www.iforcenutrition.com
  10. Registered User
    DGA3's Avatar
    Stats
    5'6"  175 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    419
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by Loudy Rowdy View Post
    Thank you sir... Heart Health is very new and I cant wait to make it a staple of mine. My father had his first heart attack when he was 35 (Im 37) so lowering triglycerides and increase HDL is very f*cking important to me...

    From iForceNutrition.com website:

    The Active Ingredient In Heart Help (Bergamonte) was found to provide the following Clinically Proven results:
    26.53% Reduction in Cholesterol
    40.1% Increase in HDL(Good Cholesterol)
    36% Reduction in LDL(Bad Cholesterol)
    38.8% Reduction in Triglycerides
    22.3% Reduction in Blood Sugar


    Hope this helps DGA3!!!
    Wow. That looks great.

    Thanks!
  11. Registered User
    DGA3's Avatar
    Stats
    5'6"  175 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    419
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by ryansm View Post
    Look into Toco-8 as well, Complete Vitamin E - Natural source of Tocotrienols for hair loss, cardiovascular health, and testosterone production. Can give you 25% off

    Proven to help reduce cholesterol while improving the HDL : LDL ratio
    I had already considered this - for possible hair growth, too!

    PM on the way.
  12. Registered User
    OrganicShadow's Avatar
    Stats
    5'7"  162 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    2,973
    Answers
    0


    CLA, conjugated lineolic acid, is a tranfatty acid that could help. Its a bit of a double edge sword as it lowers all levels of a lipid profile. So you could reduce cholesterol and LDL but potentially loose some HDL as well
    By believing passionately in something that still does not exist, we create it. The nonexistent is whatever we have not sufficiently desired.
    Franz Kafka
  13. Registered User
    tnubs's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    3,248
    Answers
    0


    red yeast rice & policosanol. they are also cheap. like a months worth for like $4
    CELTIC LABS REP
  14. Registered User
    JN230's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  195 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    2,071
    Answers
    0


    Seems Im the last one to get in here from the team, but you MUST check out Heart Help

    http://www.nutraplanet.com/product/i...-capsules.html
    Name:  hearthelp_medium.jpg
Views: 191
Size:  5.0 KB
    New-Man Nutrition Services
    http://www.facebook.com/newmannutrition.newman?ref=ts
    Live Free, Train Hard
  15. Registered User
    stankyleg's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  225 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    1,491
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by criticalbench View Post
    Niacin causes me to ITCH like nuts to the point i have to burn my legs in the shower to stop it.. lol i tried several times.

    Heart Help is def a solid option; it will be replacing my zocor in my next pct.
    I get the same thing over 125mg. I always take it before bed now. I might be going nuts in my sleep and dont even know it.
  16. PESCIENCE.com
    Board Sponsor
    nattydisaster's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  0 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    10,106
    Answers
    2


    Time released niacin from walmart
    Amino-IV - Not Your Average Amino
    SELECT Protein
    - Ultra-Premium Blend
    ALPHAMINE - Thermogenics...Redefined
  17. Registered User
    VaughnTrue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    3,912
    Answers
    0


    Heart Help = best heart/cholesterol supplement available.


    It also helps lower blood sugar which means less fat!
    iForce Nutrition Representative - iTrain. iCompete. iDominate.
    iForce Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/iForceNutrition
    iForce website: www.iforcenutrition.com
  18. Recovering AXoholic
    Board Sponsor
    thesinner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Age
    28
    Posts
    10,063
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by criticalbench View Post
    Niacin causes me to ITCH like nuts to the point i have to burn my legs in the shower to stop it.. lol i tried several times.

    Heart Help is def a solid option; it will be replacing my zocor in my next pct.
    Take with food and/or use a flush-free version (Inositol Hexanicotinate). Oftentimes, unless you are megadosing it (which is horrible for your liver!), a tall glass of water is all it takes to be a few minutes away from mitigating the niacin flush.

    To the OP, do you consume alcohol on a regular basis, frequently use tylenol, or are on and off with 17-α-alkylated steroids/prohormones? If you have health problems or concerns regarding cholestrol, it's best to discuss this with your doctor, if you haven't done so already. Your doc has your medical records (oh yeah, and a doctorate of medicine degree) and can probably provide you with a more specific solution to your problem better than the barrage of small supplement company reps dancing with shameless product plugs (guilty). If you've done this, and you can't take certain meds because for undisclosed reasons, it's tough to say the safety of a supplement (which hasn't been under the same deal of scrutiny by the FDA as a prescription). For example, if you can't take statins (e.g. Lipitor), it's probably not a good idea to be taking red yeast rice, whose activity is derived from naturally occuring statins that incur the same side effects which prevent you from taking the prescribed statins.
    Athletic Xtreme Rep
    Bob@athleticxtreme.com
    IFFI
    Ask me about the Athletic Xtreme Product Line
  19. Registered User
    hyperCat's Avatar
    Stats
    5'5"  172 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Age
    43
    Posts
    387
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by thesinner View Post
    Take with food and/or use a flush-free version (Inositol Hexanicotinate).
    I read where the flush-free niacin doesn't help with cholesterol - but I'm not sure.

    I usually take 500mg of regular niacin every morning with my protein shake - I like the "skin burn" I get from it. My neck and face turn red and gets real hot feeling... actually, I'm not sure why I like that feeling, but I do
  20. Recovering AXoholic
    Board Sponsor
    thesinner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Age
    28
    Posts
    10,063
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by hyperCat View Post
    I read where the flush-free niacin doesn't help with cholesterol - but I'm not sure.

    I usually take 500mg of regular niacin every morning with my protein shake - I like the "skin burn" I get from it. My neck and face turn red and gets real hot feeling... actually, I'm not sure why I like that feeling, but I do
    To be honest, I kinda like it too. It also helps sleep aid medications kick in faster, making it ideal for night time, when you go to bed. Just be careful, taking large amounts of niacin and getting that nasty flush can put a lot of stress on the liver.

    The flush free version is inconclusive, but I don't believe it is something heavily studied since there's not a lot of money in a supplement you can buy for $5 at Wal-Mart. Drug companies do most of this funding for this sort of research, and there's not much point in giving away millions to university researchers only to shoot yourself in the foot with the findings. The science behind it is that the niacin is bound to inositol via esterification, which allows for a gradual release into the bloodstream. Regular niacin is free nicotinic acid, which when it spikes in your bloodstream, triggers a histamine release... thus creating the flush/rash. The flush is arbitrary to the cholesterol affects; however, you still need a certain blood level to get it to happen. If it's not breaking off the inositol molecule before it gets removed by the kidney and you piss it away, then you are probably not taking enough.
    Athletic Xtreme Rep
    Bob@athleticxtreme.com
    IFFI
    Ask me about the Athletic Xtreme Product Line
  21. On my grind
    Board Sponsor
    3clipseGT's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  182 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    9,944
    Answers
    1


    I was under the impression red yeast rice no longer contains the natural statins.
    E-Pharm Rep... PM me with any questions or concerns
  22. Registered User
    VaughnTrue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    3,912
    Answers
    0


    ^^^ correct. RYR will do nothing to lower cholesterol at this point unfortunately
    iForce Nutrition Representative - iTrain. iCompete. iDominate.
    iForce Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/iForceNutrition
    iForce website: www.iforcenutrition.com
  23. Recovering AXoholic
    Board Sponsor
    thesinner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Age
    28
    Posts
    10,063
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by 3clipseGT View Post
    I was under the impression red yeast rice no longer contains the natural statins.

    .... where did they go?

    I've never seen a YRY label that was actually standardized for statin content, although it's never been a product that's interested me.

    I'm merely wondering if the popularity has lead to rapid cultivation, leading to an inferior product over the years or if the FDA stepped in and mandated that the statins be removed from the supplement.
    Athletic Xtreme Rep
    Bob@athleticxtreme.com
    IFFI
    Ask me about the Athletic Xtreme Product Line
  24. Registered User
    DGA3's Avatar
    Stats
    5'6"  175 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    419
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by thesinner View Post
    To the OP, do you consume alcohol on a regular basis, frequently use tylenol, or are on and off with 17-α-alkylated steroids/prohormones? If you have health problems or concerns regarding cholestrol, it's best to discuss this with your doctor, if you haven't done so already. Your doc has your medical records (oh yeah, and a doctorate of medicine degree) and can probably provide you with a more specific solution to your problem better than the barrage of small supplement company reps dancing with shameless product plugs (guilty). If you've done this, and you can't take certain meds because for undisclosed reasons, it's tough to say the safety of a supplement (which hasn't been under the same deal of scrutiny by the FDA as a prescription). For example, if you can't take statins (e.g. Lipitor), it's probably not a good idea to be taking red yeast rice, whose activity is derived from naturally occuring statins that incur the same side effects which prevent you from taking the prescribed statins.
    Alcohol = Bud Light on the weekends
    Tylenol (or any painkiller) = rarely
    Steroids/PHs = nope

    Last fall my doc ran some bloodwork, and it was good news/bad news:

    LDL = 169/high (bad news)
    HDL = 71/very high (good news)
    Triglycerides = 39/very low (good news)

    Because I am in great physical condition, exercise a lot, eat healthy, and have no family history of heart/stroke problems, my doc said there was no need to rush to drugs (statins) to lower my LDL. We're going to check my cholesterol again in the spring and see where it's at.

    In the meantime, I've done some research, and one new way to look at cholesterol is not to worry so much about the overall (total) number, but more importantly, the ratio of good to bad. If that's true, I am in great shape because of my very high HDL levels.

    Great advice in your post, though. I appreciate the information and concern for my health!

    Thanks!
  25. Pro Virili Parte
    Board Sponsor
    JudoJosh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Age
    29
    Posts
    8,793
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by DGA3 View Post
    Is there anything out there?

    I know that fish oil helps, especially by lowering triglycerides, and proper nutrition and exercise help increase HDL (good) cholesterol.

    What helps lower LDL (bad) cholesterol?
    You have bloodwork that shows you have elevated LDL already?
    "The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance." - Socrates
  26. Registered User
    DGA3's Avatar
    Stats
    5'6"  175 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    419
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by JudoJosh View Post
    You have bloodwork that shows you have elevated LDL already?
    By "already," you probably assume that I'm in my 20's or 30's, like most of the members around here.

    Nope!

    I'm 54 and have working out for over 30 years. I've been in three bodybuilding competition in the early 90's, and still love hitting the gym 3 times a week (legs, chest/back, arms/shoulders), especially through the winter, when I can't play golf.

    My father is 80, very active (golf, yard work), and has no health problems. Normal cholesterol even though he eats eggs, meat, refined carbs, etc.

    My mom is 79 and also in good health. She does take a statin for cholesterol, but is also very active - especially with friends/social life.

    So yes - I have elevated LDL - at least when we checked last fall. As I also noted, my good cholesterol is very high, and my triglycerides are very low, so overall, my doc does not want to mess with any drugs/statins right now. We're going to check it again later this year and see where we're at.
  27. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    R1balla's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  0 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    11,537
    Answers
    0


    Sure supplements will help, but main point is diet.
  28. Pro Virili Parte
    Board Sponsor
    JudoJosh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Age
    29
    Posts
    8,793
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by DGA3 View Post
    By "already," you probably assume that I'm in my 20's or 30's, like most of the members around here.

    Nope!
    no by already I meant already. I was asking how do you know your LDL is elevated. Sometimes with a OTC product (such as niacin and others) people might just assume their cholesterol is high (usually because they have a diet of meat and are under the belief dietary cholesterol impacts serum cholesterol) and want to take something as a preemptive measure and think, "hey this is over the counter so should be fine to take." This is why I asked.

    Quote Originally Posted by DGA3 View Post
    So yes - I have elevated LDL - at least when we checked last fall. As I also noted, my good cholesterol is very high, and my triglycerides are very low, so overall, my doc does not want to mess with any drugs/statins right now. We're going to check it again later this year and see where we're at.
    So I assume your doctor had the typical bloodwork done and the way he gets the number for LDL is based on a formula and it is not a actual measurement. If you are concerned than ask your doctor for a VAP and NMR Lipoprofile test. They will give you an actual measurement of LDL and their particle size.

    Typically if you have high LDL combined with low trig than usually the majority of your LDL are the larger particles which are harmless. So if your LDL is dominated by the larger particles (which is probably your case considering your trig count) than I wouldnt worry too much about the LDLs.
    "The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance." - Socrates
  29. Registered User
    criticalbench's Avatar
    Stats
    5'1"  0 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    7,829
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by JudoJosh

    no by already I meant already. I was asking how do you know your LDL is elevated. Sometimes with a OTC product (such as niacin and others) people might just assume their cholesterol is high (usually because they have a diet of meat and are under the belief dietary cholesterol impacts serum cholesterol) and want to take something as a preemptive measure and think, "hey this is over the counter so should be fine to take." This is why I asked.

    So I assume your doctor had the typical bloodwork done and the way he gets the number for LDL is based on a formula and it is not a actual measurement. If you are concerned than ask your doctor for a VAP and NMR Lipoprofile test. They will give you an actual measurement of LDL and their particle size.

    Typically if you have high LDL combined with low trig than usually the majority of your LDL are the larger particles which are harmless. So if your LDL is dominated by the larger particles (which is probably your case considering your trig count) than I wouldnt worry too much about the LDLs.
    Def good advice bro!
    iForce Nutrition Representative
    iTrain. iCompete. iDominate…iForce!
    www.iforcenutrition.com
  30. Recovering AXoholic
    Board Sponsor
    thesinner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Age
    28
    Posts
    10,063
    Answers
    0


    Thanks for the reply back.

    This changes the tone (from my perspective) from "I have a sudden urge to fix my cholesterol levels through pills I can get without a doctor's prescription" to "A trip to the doctor opened up my eyes to cholesterol levels, and I want to take preventative measures".

    My initial thoughts were seeking alternatives to Lipitor (or other meds) due either ability to afford the medication or stress on the liver. Daily consumption of alcohol or tylenol (i.e. acetaminophen) or (of course) steroids would be inidcators of the latter. Now it's clear you are just trying to take better care of yourself.

    My mother has a similar scenario. Her LDL is low, triglycerides are low, but HDL and total cholesterol are high. Her doctor recommended 3500mg to 4000mg of fish oil per day. It might be possible to improve your lipids through dietary measures. I don't know what you are eating right now. One little tidbit is that there is a well-known correlation between cholesterosl and insulin. While they were still trendy and new in the early 2000's, there were a few studies which found low-carb diets provided lower cholesterol than conventional (low-fat) diets. I don't have any data regarding the rate, but perhaps that's not really important since studies were done on people with a little weight to lose and may not carry over to an adult at a healthy weight.

    I'd also like to point out that Honey Nut Cheerios recieved a cease and desist order from the FDA a few years back regarding their claims for how it reduces cholesterol. One of those stories that pop up on the home page news feed that you just can't help but remember!


    Quote Originally Posted by DGA3 View Post
    Alcohol = Bud Light on the weekends
    Tylenol (or any painkiller) = rarely
    Steroids/PHs = nope

    Last fall my doc ran some bloodwork, and it was good news/bad news:

    LDL = 169/high (bad news)
    HDL = 71/very high (good news)
    Triglycerides = 39/very low (good news)

    Because I am in great physical condition, exercise a lot, eat healthy, and have no family history of heart/stroke problems, my doc said there was no need to rush to drugs (statins) to lower my LDL. We're going to check my cholesterol again in the spring and see where it's at.

    In the meantime, I've done some research, and one new way to look at cholesterol is not to worry so much about the overall (total) number, but more importantly, the ratio of good to bad. If that's true, I am in great shape because of my very high HDL levels.

    Great advice in your post, though. I appreciate the information and concern for my health!

    Thanks!
    Athletic Xtreme Rep
    Bob@athleticxtreme.com
    IFFI
    Ask me about the Athletic Xtreme Product Line
  31. Registered User
    DGA3's Avatar
    Stats
    5'6"  175 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    419
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by thesinner View Post
    Thanks for the reply back.

    This changes the tone (from my perspective) from "I have a sudden urge to fix my cholesterol levels through pills I can get without a doctor's prescription" to "A trip to the doctor opened up my eyes to cholesterol levels, and I want to take preventative measures".

    My initial thoughts were seeking alternatives to Lipitor (or other meds) due either ability to afford the medication or stress on the liver. Daily consumption of alcohol or tylenol (i.e. acetaminophen) or (of course) steroids would be inidcators of the latter. Now it's clear you are just trying to take better care of yourself.
    You are very perceptive - well done!

    I am only trying to take preventative measures in a mild way to try and lower my LDL levels before the next time my cholesterol is checked. Nothing drastic or no serious reason to suddenly fix everything.

    I'm just - as you said - trying to take better care of myself.
  32. Registered User
    DGA3's Avatar
    Stats
    5'6"  175 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    419
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by JudoJosh View Post

    So I assume your doctor had the typical bloodwork done and the way he gets the number for LDL is based on a formula and it is not a actual measurement. If you are concerned than ask your doctor for a VAP and NMR Lipoprofile test. They will give you an actual measurement of LDL and their particle size.

    Typically if you have high LDL combined with low trig than usually the majority of your LDL are the larger particles which are harmless. So if your LDL is dominated by the larger particles (which is probably your case considering your trig count) than I wouldnt worry too much about the LDLs.
    I think I should print this out and take it with me next time so I'll know what to ask for.

    Thanks for the expert advice!
  33. Registered User
    SuppJunkie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    970
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by tnubs View Post
    red yeast rice & policosanol. they are also cheap. like a months worth for like $4
    This is what I was going to say. Just be careful with the Red Yeast Rice, I took it for a really long time and it slightly raised my liver enzyme levels. It works like a mild statin..

    But it def brought the numbers down for me a lot, esp the first time I used them..SJ
  34. Registered User
    fightbackhxc's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    7,385
    Answers
    1


    Cocoa helps I believe
    Serious Nutrition Solutions | Online Representative
    Growth Factor XT-GROW! Need Cycle Support? Check out Liver XT.
    Follow SNS on Facebook for more promos!
  35. Never enough
    Board Moderator
    EasyEJL's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Age
    46
    Posts
    31,867
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by DGA3 View Post
    Last fall my doc ran some bloodwork, and it was good news/bad news:

    LDL = 169/high (bad news)
    HDL = 71/very high (good news)
    Triglycerides = 39/very low (good news)

    Because I am in great physical condition, exercise a lot, eat healthy, and have no family history of heart/stroke problems, my doc said there was no need to rush to drugs (statins) to lower my LDL. We're going to check my cholesterol again in the spring and see where it's at.

    In the meantime, I've done some research, and one new way to look at cholesterol is not to worry so much about the overall (total) number, but more importantly, the ratio of good to bad. If that's true, I am in great shape because of my very high HDL levels.
    yep, that is true, so you are in good shape. You have to also look at whether LDL was measured or just caclulated as there are some potential issues with whether it really is high or not given it being calculated. In all the research studies once you read the whole way through them, high cholesterol alone without high triglycerides hasn't been shown to be a factor in heart disease/strokes. With high triglycerides, sure
    This space for rent

    Phenadrol Log http://anabolicminds.com/forum/suppl...-hell-did.html - AMAZING fat loss results so far
  36. Registered User
    DGA3's Avatar
    Stats
    5'6"  175 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    419
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by EasyEJL View Post
    . . . high cholesterol alone without high triglycerides hasn't been shown to be a factor in heart disease/strokes.
    Yahoo!

    Thanks for the update.
  37. Registered User
    srblan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Age
    35
    Posts
    428
    Answers
    0


    My doctor said to take an aspirin with niacin to reduce flushing. It feels like an allergic reaction to me, so I have taken a Benadryl with it and had good luck preventing flushing.
  38. Registered User
    Whacked's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  210 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    5,420
    Answers
    0


    Good stuff Judo

    To add to that, low carb diets seems to help all facets of problematic lipid level issues.

    Here:
    http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/faq...holesterol.htm


    Quote Originally Posted by JudoJosh View Post
    no by already I meant already. I was asking how do you know your LDL is elevated. Sometimes with a OTC product (such as niacin and others) people might just assume their cholesterol is high (usually because they have a diet of meat and are under the belief dietary cholesterol impacts serum cholesterol) and want to take something as a preemptive measure and think, "hey this is over the counter so should be fine to take." This is why I asked.



    So I assume your doctor had the typical bloodwork done and the way he gets the number for LDL is based on a formula and it is not a actual measurement. If you are concerned than ask your doctor for a VAP and NMR Lipoprofile test. They will give you an actual measurement of LDL and their particle size.

    Typically if you have high LDL combined with low trig than usually the majority of your LDL are the larger particles which are harmless. So if your LDL is dominated by the larger particles (which is probably your case considering your trig count) than I wouldnt worry too much about the LDLs.
    A-Minds HYPE-SLAYER! All posts & feedback are guaranteed to be unsolicited and legit
    "The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge. Fools despise wisdom & instruction"
    Proverbs 1:7
  39. Registered User
    OrganicShadow's Avatar
    Stats
    5'7"  162 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    2,973
    Answers
    0


    Those levels may alter based on the last thing you ate. Obviously a fasted blood draw is going to be a bit more accurate. That LDL isnt so bad considering your HDL is good. Individual numbers are one way to look at it but comprehensively lipid panels are ratios. Another example is thyroid panels; T3 Uptake doesnt mean much without TSH and TT4.

    In your case:
    Cholesterol = HDL+LDL+VLDL = 71+169+39 = 279 = Very high cholesterol
    CHOL/HDL = 279/71 = 3.93 <---<4.5 is acceptable, shoot for 2-3 range
    LDL/HDL = 169/71 = 2.38 <--- Thats pretty good, but not perfect

    My initial though it something about diet. Im sure age is starting to play a role and I dont know how your work/family life are. Sometimes its genetic. These results arent alarming but adjustments could be made.
    By believing passionately in something that still does not exist, we create it. The nonexistent is whatever we have not sufficiently desired.
    Franz Kafka
  40. Registered User
    criticalbench's Avatar
    Stats
    5'1"  0 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    7,829
    Answers
    0


    Quote Originally Posted by R1balla
    Sure supplements will help, but main point is diet.
    Diet is always first try.. but that doesn't work for everyone.
    iForce Nutrition Representative
    iTrain. iCompete. iDominate…iForce!
    www.iforcenutrition.com
  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Dim Lowers DHT ?????
    By theoh in forum Male Anti-Aging Medicine
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 03-02-2012, 03:06 PM
  2. Cholesterol in foods not affecting blood cholesterol?
    By Jayhawkk in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-19-2009, 12:03 PM
  3. Replies: 15
    Last Post: 06-01-2006, 12:30 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in