Are you ready for the Dietary Supplement Holocaust?

VaughnTrue

VaughnTrue

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Many in the industry have been waiting on word from the FDA in regards to new NDI/DSHEA regulations. Although this is not in stone yet, the draft guidance written by the fda is now able to be viewed(Draft Guidance for Industry: Dietary Supplements: New Dietary Ingredient Notifications and Related Issues), and will most likely be 100% permanent within the next 2 weeks.

Here are a few exerts everyone should be aware of:

1. Is a NDI Notification required for a dietary supplement containing a NDI if the supplement contains only dietary ingredients that have been present in the food supply as articles used for food in a form in which the food has not been chemically altered?

No. Even though an ingredient that was used to make a conventional food before October 15, 1994 is a NDI (unless it was also marketed as a dietary ingredient before that date), a NDI notification is not required for a dietary supplement containing the NDI as long as the supplement contains only dietary ingredients that have been present in the food supply as articles used for food in a form in which the food has not been chemically altered (21 U.S.C. 350b(a)(1)).
An NDI = New Dietary Ingredient. So with the above in mind, we all can rest assured that companies won't have to file NDI's for every single ingredient as long as each ingredient in the product is proven to be DSHEA compliant and thus supplied within the food supply.

If I change the manufacturing process for a dietary ingredient that was marketed in the U.S. prior to October 15, 1994, and the changes alter the chemical composition or structure of the ingredient, does that make the ingredient a NDI?

Most likely. If the changes in your manufacturing process alter the chemical composition or structure of the ingredient, the resulting compound is probably a NDI and a notification to FDA would be required. For example, using a solvent to prepare an extract from a pre-DSHEA dietary ingredient creates a NDI because the final extract contains only a fractionated subset of the constituent substances in the original dietary ingredient. In addition, changes that alter the composition of materials used to make the ingredient, such as using a different part of a plant (e.g., using an extract of plant leaves where the root extract from the same plant is a pre-DSHEA dietary ingredient), would create a NDI.
In short, this means that any extracts are gone unless they are pure food material. This would mean pure botanical ingredients(1:1 extracts) are still fine, but things that differ from the original plant source(10:1 extracts etc) would not be considered OK anymore.

So for everyone that enjoys using 100:1 LongJack, or 10:1 maca...say bye bye.

1. What processes for manufacturing a dietary ingredient from an article of food present in the food supply do not result in chemical alteration?

Minor loss of volatile components, dehydration, lyophilization, milling, and formation of a tincture or a solution in water, a slurry, a powder, or a solid in suspension do not chemically alter an ingredient.[10] Examples:
* Leaves or roots of a plant consumed as conventional food (e.g., broccoli or carrots) are dried and ground for sale in powder form.
* A tincture is made by soaking pears in aqueous ethanol. The mixture is then milled and dried into a powder that is placed in a capsule.
So we're left with pure plant material and /ethanol water extracts(that do not change the chemical integrity of the original ingredient/plant).

Say goodbye to any ingredients that use weird/rare extraction methods.

1. If another manufacturer or distributor has already submitted a notification for a particular NDI, and I intend to market a dietary supplement containing the same NDI, should I also submit a NDI notification?

Yes. Section 413(a)(2) of the FD&C Act (21 U.S.C. 350b(a)(2)) makes clear that any dietary supplement that contains a NDI is deemed adulterated unless the manufacturer or distributor of the dietary ingredient or the dietary supplement submits a NDI notification at least 75 days before introducing it into interstate commerce. The statute places the obligation for submitting the notification on each manufacturer or distributor. The original notifier conducted its safety evaluation based on the characteristics and intended use of the specific product under review, including the composition and labeling of the dietary supplement that the notifier was proposing to market. Any other manufacturer or distributor who wishes to market its own dietary supplement containing the same NDI should submit a NDI notification to FDA explaining its own basis for concluding that this new product containing the NDI will "reasonably expected to be safe" under the conditions recommended or suggested in the new product's labeling. Manufacturing processes and specifications needed to establish the identity of a NDI are usually trade secrets that are not available in the NDI docket. It should be noted that the original notifier is under no obligation to share with other manufacturers and distributors any trade secrets or confidential commercial information that were part of the basis for a safety conclusion for the original notifier's product.
This gem states that even if "company A" received a NDI acceptance "for ingredient 1", "company b" must also put in an NDI for the same ingredient.

Bye bye small companies.

andddddd the true game changer...

1. Is a synthetic copy of a constituent or extract of an herb or other botanical a dietary ingredient?

No. A synthetic copy of a constituent of a botanical was never part of the botanical and thus cannot be a "constituent" of the botanical that qualifies as a dietary ingredient under section 201(ff)(1)(F) of the FD&C Act (21 U.S.C. 321(ff)(1)(F)).[13] Similarly, a synthetic version of a botanical extract is not an "extract" of a botanical under section 201(ff)(1)(F) because it was not actually extracted from the botanical.

This is where things get interesting. According to this, synthetic variations of any dietary ingredient are non-dshea due to the fact that they never originated in the food supply. This is what had me worried last week.

Everyone should know what this means. This means ANY synthetic ingredients are gone due to the fact that they were never in the food supply(the chemical itself may be found in food, but the ingredients used to make the synthetic chemical never were...thus need an NDI.

This means no more stimulants of any kind for the most part, no more thyroid metabolites, no more anything really.

In before every product on the market is creatine monohydrate, caffeine, and vitamin c.

note: I could have mis-read/misinterpreted these. If you find that I made a mistake, please show me where I messed up :)

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
OP: you are citing somebody who is citing the fda. Who are you citing? Gotta love the telephone game and these chicken little posts:p

DAdams91982

DAdams91982

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I am not going to sit here and fret. You know the backlash that will be felt from herbalists, hippies and the anti aging community? (I am mostly referencing the extract excerpt), same for extraction methods.

VaughnTrue

VaughnTrue

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
OP: you are citing somebody who is citing the fda. Who are you citing? Gotta love the telephone game and these chicken little posts:p
I am citing the FDA themselves. The link is in the OP...

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
"1. Is a synthetic copy of a constituent or extract of an herb or other botanical a dietary ingredient?

No. A synthetic copy of a constituent of a botanical was never part of the botanical and thus cannot be a "constituent" of the botanical that qualifies as a dietary ingredient under section 201(ff)(1)(F) of the FD&C Act (21 U.S.C. 321(ff)(1)(F)).[13] Similarly, a synthetic version of a botanical extract is not an "extract" of a botanical under section 201(ff)(1)(F) because it was not actually extracted from the botanical.

This is where things get interesting. According to this, synthetic variations of any dietary ingredient are non-dshea due to the fact that they never originated in the food supply. This is what had me worried last week. "

So the FDA has the part about "This is where things get interesting"? I didn't find that in the original document.

The Cold

Awards
Thanks for posting this Vaughn, things are getting ugly.

VaughnTrue

VaughnTrue

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
"1. Is a synthetic copy of a constituent or extract of an herb or other botanical a dietary ingredient?

This is where things get interesting. According to this, synthetic variations of any dietary ingredient are non-dshea due to the fact that they never originated in the food supply. This is what had me worried last week. "

So the FDA has the part about "This is where things get interesting"? I didn't find that in the original document.
It's about halfway down on the site I linked. Every quote/word in quotes is directly from fda.gov

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

I am faster than 80% of all snakes
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Lovely.

JeremyT

Awards
Wow. Should start to stock up on everything that I would want for the next several years then. Fack.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
now i know why they can't reach a compromise on the budget crisis......they are to worried about what suppliment ingredients they will allow. good thing the government has their priorities right???????

mattrag

mattrag

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Yea, I can't remember what the bill # was but on Superhuman Radio on an episode last week they talked about this. Best thing to do is to stock up... If not buying your favorite pre workout/fatburner/test booster will be at the same level as ordering some "legal" steroid.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Yea, I can't remember what the bill # was but on Superhuman Radio on an episode last week they talked about this. Best thing to do is to stock up... If not buying your favorite pre workout/fatburner/test booster will be at the same level as ordering some "legal" steroid.

they are releasing prisoners because of overcrowding due to drug offences......now they want to make criminals out of otherwise law abiding citizens. i am sorry, but this makes no sense!!!

mattrag

mattrag

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
they are releasing prisoners because of overcrowding due to drug offences......now they want to make criminals out of otherwise law abiding citizens. i am sorry, but this makes no sense!!!
They probably want more ppl buying into the big pharma and less ppl trying to take health into their own hands. I'm sure the fine revenue generated from the violators of these new rules would assist the govt in building more prisons. haha

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
They probably want more ppl buying into the big pharma and less ppl trying to take health into their own hands. I'm sure the fine revenue generated from the violators of these new rules would assist the govt in building more prisons. haha

they may get a fine out of me but then they have to pay for locking me up, not to mention all of those taxes they won't be getting from me. i am as law abiding as i can be, don't know why they would force me to break the law?

AtomicFox

AtomicFox

Awards
  • Established
This is so retarded.

mattrag

mattrag

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I honestly think it's more because the Pharmacy companies are scared that their new drugs won't be doing much better than some of the supplements consumers can buy OTC. But who really knows? Maybe too many ppl have been bringing up stupid law suits against OTC herbals...? I for one stand on the Pharmacy industry is trying to milk more money out of us.

kingdong

kingdong

Awards
  • Established
Wait, from what I saw it looked like will be fine(for the ost part) if companies get their NDI's. Am I wrong?

swollen87

swollen87

Awards
  • Established
so what are some of the types of things to be gone?

geranium?

ALL ph/ds ?

bulbine?

ecdy?

sorry if these are dumb ??s i just need to know what i need to stock up on....

seccsi

seccsi

Awards
  • Established
I wouldn't hit the panic button yet people. I've seen these types of posts/ideas ever since I got into weights over 11 years ago. Tons of threads on tons of different forums saying the supplement industry is about to completely die. It hasn't happened yet. Some things have changed, some things have been banned. Is this time different? It very well could be...maybe all the things Vaughn claim will happen. But no use in panicking until we know for sure...and if it is going to happen we will have plenty of real warning and places will have some amazing sales to push product. I wouldn't worry until you see a bunch of places like Nutra, Lockout, Netrition, Orbit putting a massive sale on everything.

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
All it will do is push more people into actual steroids lol.

"Well, I was just gonna use a natural test booster and a nitric oxide product, but since those are illegal I'm just gonna hop on test, deca and dbol."

We'll all turn into some Gerard Butlers if this thing happens.

And I'm surprised Obama would let this thing go anywhere anyway as much as he loves the limelight when it comes to sports. I'd imagine he'd have some pretty upset athletes.

mattrag

mattrag

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
All it will do is push more people into actual steroids lol.

"Well, I was just gonna use a natural test booster and a nitric oxide product, but since those are illegal I'm just gonna hop on test, deca and dbol."

We'll all turn into some Gerard Butlers if this thing happens.

And I'm surprised Obama would let this thing go anywhere anyway as much as he loves the limelight when it comes to sports. I'd imagine he'd have some pretty upset athletes.

haha, yea. I was just thinking this.

Also, about the post prior to this. When you see all your favorite supplement companies running mean sales on stuff....Then just buy up all you can and hope it goes through USPS "customs". (Read a thread about someone who ordered trenzolone and got a customs letter even though he ordered it within the USA).

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
It's about halfway down on the site I linked. Every quote/word in quotes is directly from fda.gov
Actually no. This part right here: "This is where things get interesting. According to this, synthetic variations of any dietary ingredient are non-dshea due to the fact that they never originated in the food supply. This is what had me worried last week."

That is no where to be found in the document and is obviously somebody's opinion on the document. I'm asking who's since it is cited as the actual document.

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
If any part, I find the very beginning to be the most important for these boards.

"Contains Nonbinding Recommendations
Draft-Not for Implementation

July 2011
This guidance is being distributed for comment purposes only.

Although you can comment on any guidance at any time (see 21 CFR 10.115(g)(5)), to ensure that the agency considers your comment on this draft guidance before it begins work on the final version of the guidance, submit either electronic or written comments on the draft guidance within 90 days of publication in the Federal Register of the notice announcing the availability of the draft guidance. Submit electronic comments to http://www.regulations.gov[SUP]2[/SUP]. Submit written comments to the Division of Dockets Management (HFA-305), Food and Drug Administration, 5630 Fishers Lane, rm. 1061, Rockville, MD 20852. All comments should be identified with the docket number listed in the notice of availability that publishes in the Federal Register.
For questions regarding this draft document contact the Center for Food Safety and Applied Nutrition (CFSAN) at 240-402-2375."

In other words, let's not waste time complaining on boards about how the big bad government is always trying to screw us and take away our rights. Here is an opportunity for the companies that are represented on these boards to speak up and tell the fda what they have right and what they have wrong. You can be as cynical as you want about whether they will actually listen or not, but you won't really know until you try.

jbryand101b

jbryand101b

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
probably his when he typed his opinion not realizing the cursor was in the quotes.

im not too worried about this though.

purebred

I would love for FDA to actually do something sensible for once. I can understand removing artificial ingredients like artificial dyes, flavoring systems, and sweeteners but then again, the FDA is the goverment and everyone knows the government is corrupt. Go figure. I also love how the government makes decisions on its own. The distance b/w the gov't and the people is so far gone, it's almost non-existent. I'm gonna go off on a tangent/rant so I'll stop myself now until someone else picks it back up :)

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Thanks. Both links work for me and I read the proposal, but this isn't the first time and won't be the last that we see something similar. I just see it as an opportunity though for people and companies to get active. Most times our elected officials don't have a personal opinion on a topic like this, but they have to vote yes or no. They don't have time to fully research each and every topic that comes across their desk, so help them out and write them.

fightbackhxc

fightbackhxc

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Vaughn thanks for the article. We need to be aware of this and willing to stand up for our rights.

whitesox23

Awards
good to see your not getting pooped on for use of the H word like over on bb :p

BTW hey y'all. Just remebered my login info here :D

lartinos

lartinos

Awards
And it would take a longtime for this to go through as well. All the PH's are still being sold, and those unlike the ones mentioned above actually have bad side effects. I am sure they are trying to slowly destroy the supp companies, but they have a ton of work to do to get there. Supps would then just become underground and be sold anyway.

lartinos

lartinos

Awards
The supp companies need a politician who backs them. They would be able to use all the boards to promote their campaigns.

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
The supp companies need a politician who backs them. They would be able to use all the boards to promote their campaigns.
Take a look at the hate and ignorance in the General Chat area and tell me you would use this board while running for anything higher than junior high student government lol. Supp companies are not going to have lobbyists, but the elected officials have email addresses and so do their aides. See a bill? Make yourself heard.

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I would like to take this time to declare my intent to run for 6th grade class treasurer. If I'm elected, you'll all get 45 extra seconds between each class to roam the hallways leisurely, and not have to run to class so you start to sweat and make the girl you think is cute not like you. I also vow to throw a pizza party in celebration of my inauguration*

*cheese only, 'cause like more is expensive and like some people might not like meat and stuff

purebred

good to see your not getting pooped on for use of the H word like over on bb :p

BTW hey y'all. Just remebered my login info here :D
bb.com is such a joke. That has to be one of the most illiterate, immature and unhelpful community of meatheads existing lol

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Thanks. Both links work for me and I read the proposal, but this isn't the first time and won't be the last that we see something similar. I just see it as an opportunity though for people and companies to get active. Most times our elected officials don't have a personal opinion on a topic like this, but they have to vote yes or no. They don't have time to fully research each and every topic that comes across their desk, so help them out and write them.
i had this conversation on another forum with some real players in the world of supplements....their opinion is that the supplement company owners are so cuthroat that they couldn't get together on anything-even if it is in their best interests.

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
i had this conversation on another forum with some real players in the world of supplements....their opinion is that the supplement company owners are so cuthroat that they couldn't get together on anything-even if it is in their best interests.
Clearly we need them to form a fellowship...

purebred

'That Guy'... always and forever <3

Haha by meatheads you mean skinny teens asking for PH help right? :p
That too. The ones who actually have admirable physiques tend to be arrogant and abusive so it's pointless. That site is all sorts of retarded but I have come across the few good folks who lurk on that board.

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I can't really say that surprises me as you see it on the boards, just on a smaller scale. Too often, reps have to resort to attacking the products of other companies when their own product should be strong enough to stand on its own without having to drop down to that level. I won't speak for others, but there are some companies that won't ever see my money or that of who I refer products to purely based on how they are represented on the boards. Don't worry bigt, Taurus is one of the good ones;)

rochabp

rochabp

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
yah i cant wait to get my vitamin c and DAA from the black market :p

purebred

I can't really say that surprises me as you see it on the boards, just on a smaller scale. Too often, reps have to resort to attacking the products of other companies when their own product should be strong enough to stand on its own without having to drop down to that level. I won't speak for others, but there are some companies that won't ever see my money or that of who I refer products to purely based on how they are represented on the boards. Don't worry bigt, Taurus is one of the good ones;)
I think it's also understandable how it can be a little too unoriginal and annoying when someone is asking for suggestions regarding supplemenation for a particular goal/purpose and the reps chime in promoting their own products. Sure, their job is to promote their own products but in other threads containing write-ups which lead to logs, etc. That's the way I feel they should market. It's kind of "wow, didn't see THAT coming :squint:".

If a certain product is that good, members who have used the product(s) will naturally chime in. That's just the way things work. People can't help but tell everyone and anyone they know about something good when they found it and it has helped them.