Max amount of protien that can be effectively asorbed in one hit?

dubplate6

Awards
  • Established
Hey guys,

Im wondering what the maximum amount of protein I can absorb in one go effectively - either protein shake or food.

I would think its different for whey, a blend, casein, etc

I am 102kgs.

I wonder if its different PWO, first thing in morning, before bed?

Any ideas?

thanks

A

coalsojr

Awards
I thought I had read somewhere awhile back that your body can only absorb around 50g per hour and that was part of the reasoning behind eating 6 or 7 small meals a day instead of 3 big meals. If I can remember where I saw that I'll let you know.

I found this earlier post: anabolicminds.com/forum/nutrition-health/68687-how-much-protein-2.html

(I can't post links yet so just copy and paste)

It's a "pick your study" thread. Just seems to confuse the question more

Last edited:
djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
3 grams of leucine per hour is max but not sure about the other amino acids. Such as arginine I have seen 9 grams in one hour.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
There will never be a solid answer to this, but most sources of protein (outside of whey) are not absorbed within one of hour.

dubplate6

Awards
  • Established
thanks guys, lets kill this thread off and i'll use the search button on AM...

tnubs

tnubs

Awards
  • Established
just to make sure you all know, most stuff takes SEVERAL hours to break down in the body. like steak, the high fat content slows gastric emptying dramatically and it will supply your body with amino acids for a good while. lots of other things influence digestion too, tho.

so just because u take in a certain amount of some type of high protein food, it doesnt mean its all instantly sent into the bloodstream. this stuff happens relatively slowly.

Royd The Noyd

Royd The Noyd

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
The best discussion on this topic I've heard in a while was on the bodyrx podcast with Vince Andrich, Dr. Connelly, Dr. Layne Norton, PA, and others. It was like podcast #17 or 18 I think...

Btw it was fairly close to what Aragon says in the link above.