dextrose use

bi0hazurd

Awards
  • Established
I recently bought a two pound bag of dextrose after reading that dextrose should be mixed with maltodextrin post workout into the protein shake aand u should have double the grams of carbs then u do protein half from malto the other dextrose. I've been taking my 30g protein shake scoop and adding about one scoop (30g dextrose to my shake) and then one serving of malto from NOW labs the carbogainer is this the right ammount? Cuz there is A LOT of sugar in the serving and I kno post workout doesn't matter but I just wanted to be sure

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I wonder who said you "should" do that. Its ok, but you run the risk of adding fat on too.

bi0hazurd

Awards
  • Established
I'm drinking it down right before my HIIT that I recently added. I just really don't wanna lose my hard earned mass. I just wanna recomp. If possible staying at the same weight. I realize how unlikely that will be but I wanna try my best.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Well, i'd personally think that the sugar slam post workout is only valuable during a full on bulk when you aren't concerned about how much fat you add, but thats just me.

bi0hazurd

Awards
  • Established
So what do u suggest? I thought that the sugar was useful because it triggered an insulin spike?

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
So what do u suggest? I thought that the sugar was useful because it triggered an insulin spike?
Sure, thats its value, but insulin will add fat as well as muscle. Its nonselective. So its ok during a full out bulk, but for a recomp I'd have to believe it makes it even harder to lose fat

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I don't really see the point of either maltodextrin or dextrose. The only studies that showed any value to combining carbs + protein post workout over just protein were done with fasted morning workouts.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I don't really see the point of either maltodextrin or dextrose. The only studies that showed any value to combining carbs + protein post workout over just protein were done with fasted morning workouts.
This.

Throw in the fact that recomping is all about your caloric intake throughout the day and it further denounces the use of any high GI carbs.

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Also i believe there is some research that shows if your eating during the day, your glycogen stores will replenish in a 24 hr period, unless you are training 2 times a day i dont see the point in refilling it so fast.

purebred

grind up some oats for yourself if you're going to include a PWO shake in your diet. oats > maltodextrin or dextrose

Blergs

Blergs

Awards
  • Established
i just throw in 20-30g of dextrose in my protien drink when not using Postal from LG which is a blend.
works fine.

EArch

Awards
  • Established
If you workout hard shouldnt your glycogen stores be depleted post work out? That way if you take the dextrose with your protein there is little room for fat storage as the dextrose is used up almost right away?

Thats how I understood it but by no means am an expert. Very relevant because the recomp diet I just posted in the nutrition section includes dextrose. 2:1 ratio of carbs to protein.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Your glycogen stores hold over 2000 calories, so you don't totally deplete them. And even if you did, the insulin spike pushes nutrients non-discriminatorily to muscle and fat cells.

tnubs

tnubs

Awards
  • Established
if u dont use any carbs intra/post workout, u will break down the protein for fuel to restore glycogen instead of anabolism

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
if u dont use any carbs intra/post workout, u will break down the protein for fuel to restore glycogen instead of anabolism
Not true. Your body has over 2000 calories worth of glycogen reserves, and unless you train fasted first thing in the morning you still have floating amino acids and glucose from your prior meal. Your body is not in any rush to refill the glycogen reserves, so unless you do a heavy 90+ minute workout and then plan to immediately after compete in some multi hour endurance event, replenishing glycogen in a hurry isn't necessary.

criticalbench

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I always use dextrose post workout. I use 80g post workout. I have never in my life heard it has to be mixed with malto. i've been doing it for years and it works for me, who knows!

Mike