Post-Workout Carb source

1. New Member
    Stats
    6'5"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    71.88%

Post-Workout Carb source

There has been much debate about whether or not a post workout carb source such as waxy maize or vitargo is necessary. Are you currently using one of these products or one like them? If so, what is your opinion of it?

2. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    17.17%

I have used both in the past. I prefer oat starch over both is a shake pwo is my only option.

Tbh, I'd rather go home and chew some real food. Cheerios and skim milk ftw
  3. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  195 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    41.44%
    Achievements Reputation ProReputation AuthorityPosting Pro

I just go with Quaker oats (the instant kind mixes better in a shake). People will argue whether you need a carb at all and if so, what the "perfect" one is, but this one works for me.
    •   

4. The Female Terminator
    Stats
    5'1"  120 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    37.78%
    Achievements Reputation ProReputation AuthorityPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by jadrummond21 View Post
    There has been much debate about whether or not a post workout carb source such as waxy maize or vitargo is necessary. Are you currently using one of these products or one like them? If so, what is your opinion of it?
    Consumption of carbohydrates post-training (some people do not do believe it is necessary), and if so, what kind is" best" (i.e. simple or complex or a mix of both) is going to be relative to the individual.

~Rosie~
    Contact Me for INDIVIDUALIZED TRAINING AND NUTRITION

"Think like a Champion. Train like a Warrior. Live with a Purpose." - Rosie Chee
  5. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'7"  250 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    36.73%
    Achievements Reputation ProReputation AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

Im slowly working away from supplement base post workout carbs and going towards killin food carbs. That said I do love Muscle Replenisher and will probably continue to use it post workout lol.
  6. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'0"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    65.06%
    Achievements Reputation ProReputation AuthorityReputation VeteranPosting Pro

I've been using Labrada Power Carb afterwards and have liked it.
    Serious Nutrition Solutions rep
  7. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    56.45%
    Achievements Reputation ProReputation Authority

I was looking into trying Power Carb by Labrada but it is kind of pricey is it worth the price. I have been useing Glyco- Maize by Optinum for the past year and a half and I really don't feel that so call muscle swelling affect that is suppose to occur when you mix it into my recovery post shake. I find that it does help with energy when you mix it with a preworkout stim supplement first thing in the morning. It is good to have something in your stomach when you train in the early A.M. with the preworkout powder.
    But I don't know how good the Glyco-maize works post workout.
  8. Idiot Savant
    Stats
    5'9"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    91.89%
    Achievements Reputation ProReputation AuthorityPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

Sweet potato.... the choice of champions
  9. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'0"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    65.06%
    Achievements Reputation ProReputation AuthorityReputation VeteranPosting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by totalpackage View Post
    I was looking into trying Power Carb by Labrada but it is kind of pricey is it worth the price. I have been useing Glyco- Maize by Optinum for the past year and a half and I really don't feel that so call muscle swelling affect that is suppose to occur when you mix it into my recovery post shake. I find that it does help with energy when you mix it with a preworkout stim supplement first thing in the morning. It is good to have something in your stomach when you train in the early A.M. with the preworkout powder.
    But I don't know how good the Glyco-maize works post workout.
    I got a couple tubs of the Power Carb for free so that wasn't really an issue for me. I'm not sure since I haven't looked but GlycoMaize sounds like a version of waxy maize and there are a lot of conflicting thoughts on that.
    Serious Nutrition Solutions rep
  10. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  0 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    75.44%
    Achievements Reputation ProReputation AuthorityReputation VeteranPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

other than protein shakes post workout, IMO, the best thing for you post workout is real food. if u are looking for a carb source, pasta or oats.
    Hardcore Supps for the Hardcore Trainer
    Use Discount Code AM20 To Save 20% At www.ironflexsupps.com

11. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  0 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    57.48%
    Achievements Reputation Pro

Well it's been proven that a high GI carb combined with protein post workout increases protein synthesis. Waxi maize is not a high GI carb as once though.

I usually just slam ~50g dextrose and a scoop or two of protein immediately post workout. About 30 minutes later just eat a good meal high in protein and carbs. That combo has always worked the best for me. I want to buy some bulk leucine and bcaa's to incorporate as well.
  12. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    13.35%
    Achievements Reputation ProReputation AuthorityPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting VeteranPosting Royalty

Quote Originally Posted by TxHomeGrown View Post
    Well it's been proven that a high GI carb combined with protein post workout increases protein synthesis. Waxi maize is not a high GI carb as once though.

I usually just slam ~50g dextrose and a scoop or two of protein immediately post workout. About 30 minutes later just eat a good meal high in protein and carbs. That combo has always worked the best for me. I want to buy some bulk leucine and bcaa's to incorporate as well.
    Carbs are no the only macronutrient that cause insulin to be released. For example, 3g of Leucine will solicit an insulin response in addition to triggering protein synthesis.

What I use after training is 25g MAP and then go home and eat. I'll only have complex carbs 2-3x/week depending on how I feel and my relative strength numbers.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  13. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  160 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    52.8%

Oatmeal with apples!
  14. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'3"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    90.41%
    Achievements Reputation ProPosting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by prld2gr8ns View Post
    Sweet potato.... the choice of champions
    Yep.
  15. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    34.29%
    Achievements Reputation Pro

I usually hit me EAA/BCAA or my Whey, depending on the mood. It's just during bulks I'm using a carb source such as Malto before and after the workout...
  16. sizematters10

Quote Originally Posted by TxHomeGrown View Post

so waxy isn't a high GI carb source interesting...i was thinking it was, might have to switch to dex than.
  17. sizematters10

Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    Carbs are no the only macronutrient that cause insulin to be released. For example, 3g of Leucine will solicit an insulin response in addition to triggering protein synthesis.

What I use after training is 25g MAP and then go home and eat. I'll only have complex carbs 2-3x/week depending on how I feel and my relative strength numbers.
    What else will solicit an insulin response than besides leucine, and sorry whats MAP. but yeah good point rodja, i didnt know other things besides carbs could incite an insulin response.
  18. Idiot Savant
    Stats
    5'9"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    91.89%

Quote Originally Posted by sizematters10 View Post
    sorry whats MAP.
  19. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    13.35%
    Achievements Reputation ProReputation AuthorityPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting VeteranPosting Royalty

Quote Originally Posted by sizematters10 View Post
    What else will solicit an insulin response than besides leucine, and sorry whats MAP. but yeah good point rodja, i didnt know other things besides carbs could incite an insulin response.
    Protein itself will solicit an insulin response.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  20. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    15.4%
    Achievements Reputation ProPosting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by AnimalInside View Post
    Oatmeal with apples!
    oatmeal and bananna or berries for me

Similar Forum Threads

1. post workout carb
    By ecupirate in forum Supplements
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 08-27-2010, 04:23 PM
  2. favorite post workout carb
    By mkretz in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 01-04-2010, 03:34 PM
  3. Best carb source post workout
    By tshaw024 in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 09-28-2009, 11:00 AM
  4. WHAT IS THE BEST CARB FOR A POST WORKOUT SHAKE?
    By dizdabiz in forum Supplements
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 02-07-2009, 01:42 AM
  5. Post workout, low-GI carb sources?
    By Alt+F4 in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 07-09-2004, 12:41 PM