Post-Workout Carb source

jadrummond21

jadrummond21

Awards
There has been much debate about whether or not a post workout carb source such as waxy maize or vitargo is necessary. Are you currently using one of these products or one like them? If so, what is your opinion of it?

SouthernLord

SouthernLord

Awards
I have used both in the past. I prefer oat starch over both is a shake pwo is my only option.

Tbh, I'd rather go home and chew some real food. Cheerios and skim milk ftw :D

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I just go with Quaker oats (the instant kind mixes better in a shake). People will argue whether you need a carb at all and if so, what the "perfect" one is, but this one works for me.

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
There has been much debate about whether or not a post workout carb source such as waxy maize or vitargo is necessary. Are you currently using one of these products or one like them? If so, what is your opinion of it?
Consumption of carbohydrates post-training (some people do not do believe it is necessary), and if so, what kind is" best" (i.e. simple or complex or a mix of both) is going to be relative to the individual.

~Rosie~

Tomahawk88

Tomahawk88

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Im slowly working away from supplement base post workout carbs and going towards killin food carbs. That said I do love Muscle Replenisher and will probably continue to use it post workout lol.

kingjameskjf

kingjameskjf

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I've been using Labrada Power Carb afterwards and have liked it.

totalpackage

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I was looking into trying Power Carb by Labrada but it is kind of pricey is it worth the price. I have been useing Glyco- Maize by Optinum for the past year and a half and I really don't feel that so call muscle swelling affect that is suppose to occur when you mix it into my recovery post shake. I find that it does help with energy when you mix it with a preworkout stim supplement first thing in the morning. It is good to have something in your stomach when you train in the early A.M. with the preworkout powder.
But I don't know how good the Glyco-maize works post workout.

prld2gr8ns

prld2gr8ns

Idiot Savant
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Sweet potato.... the choice of champions :D

kingjameskjf

kingjameskjf

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I was looking into trying Power Carb by Labrada but it is kind of pricey is it worth the price. I have been useing Glyco- Maize by Optinum for the past year and a half and I really don't feel that so call muscle swelling affect that is suppose to occur when you mix it into my recovery post shake. I find that it does help with energy when you mix it with a preworkout stim supplement first thing in the morning. It is good to have something in your stomach when you train in the early A.M. with the preworkout powder.
But I don't know how good the Glyco-maize works post workout.
I got a couple tubs of the Power Carb for free so that wasn't really an issue for me. I'm not sure since I haven't looked but GlycoMaize sounds like a version of waxy maize and there are a lot of conflicting thoughts on that.

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
other than protein shakes post workout, IMO, the best thing for you post workout is real food. if u are looking for a carb source, pasta or oats.

TxHomeGrown

Awards
Well it's been proven that a high GI carb combined with protein post workout increases protein synthesis. Waxi maize is not a high GI carb as once though.

I usually just slam ~50g dextrose and a scoop or two of protein immediately post workout. About 30 minutes later just eat a good meal high in protein and carbs. That combo has always worked the best for me. I want to buy some bulk leucine and bcaa's to incorporate as well.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Well it's been proven that a high GI carb combined with protein post workout increases protein synthesis. Waxi maize is not a high GI carb as once though.

I usually just slam ~50g dextrose and a scoop or two of protein immediately post workout. About 30 minutes later just eat a good meal high in protein and carbs. That combo has always worked the best for me. I want to buy some bulk leucine and bcaa's to incorporate as well.
Carbs are no the only macronutrient that cause insulin to be released. For example, 3g of Leucine will solicit an insulin response in addition to triggering protein synthesis.

What I use after training is 25g MAP and then go home and eat. I'll only have complex carbs 2-3x/week depending on how I feel and my relative strength numbers.

Eizbear

Eizbear

Awards
  • Established
I usually hit me EAA/BCAA or my Whey, depending on the mood. It's just during bulks I'm using a carb source such as Malto before and after the workout...

sizematters10

so waxy isn't a high GI carb source interesting...i was thinking it was, might have to switch to dex than.

sizematters10

Carbs are no the only macronutrient that cause insulin to be released. For example, 3g of Leucine will solicit an insulin response in addition to triggering protein synthesis.

What I use after training is 25g MAP and then go home and eat. I'll only have complex carbs 2-3x/week depending on how I feel and my relative strength numbers.
What else will solicit an insulin response than besides leucine, and sorry whats MAP. but yeah good point rodja, i didnt know other things besides carbs could incite an insulin response.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
What else will solicit an insulin response than besides leucine, and sorry whats MAP. but yeah good point rodja, i didnt know other things besides carbs could incite an insulin response.
Protein itself will solicit an insulin response.

ambulldog

ambulldog

Awards
  • Established