How important is Casein to you ?

Markusrulezzz

Markusrulezzz

Banned
Awards
  • Established
How many of you take casein before bed ?

this thing is expensive and I hear lots of mixed reviews like you don't really need

StackedCop

StackedCop

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Before I go to sleep I eat a 4 egg omelet with 2 slices of fat free cheese and about 2 cups of cottage cheese (not in the omlete lol) for the casein. The only time i drink a casein shake is if I don't have enough time to eat before bed.

When I eat cottage cheese it seems I am able to sleep the whole night thru without waking up hungry. Same goes for when i drink a shake made with 60 grams of protein from casein and WPI.

Curious to see what others have to say.

Markusrulezzz

Markusrulezzz

Banned
Awards
  • Established
everyone seemed to llove this

"Slow digestion means it is digesting all night. A stomach that is digesting food all through the night is using some of the bodies energy to digest food. That means it is using energy rather than resting and recovering. May be minor but it is indeed true. This can interfere with your sleep patern. A sleep patern that is interupted in this way can prevent your body from getting into a deep sleep (REM?) required to be rested. Additionally this food interferes with your bodies ability to produce its own natural GH which can also reduce recovery.

I am not a scientist or biologist. But unless you are eating so poorly and lightly throughout the day this nightime intake is not going to amount to much other than to compensate for the poor food intake while you are awake.

For those people who claim that when they started taking Casein at night they finally began to grow would have grown just as well had they added that much more protein during their waking hours. Additionally had they just ate a piece of chicken or fish or eggs they would have still gotten the same additional protein without the cost of a premium protein.

I have just recently used up a 4lb bottle of Casien (I bought it for my mom but she didn't need it) and it has produce nothing more than gas, bloating and frequent nightime urination.

Unless you are malnurished or sick I see no real benefit and therefore not worth the cost IMHO."

kanakafarian

kanakafarian

Awards
I drink 2 scoops of Syntha 6 with 2 cups skim milk right before bed. I just try to pack in extra cals before bed.

StackedCop

StackedCop

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I don't think casein is the answer to getting huge by any means and it crazy for someone to think they would really notice a HUGE deference from casein. As bodybuilder it's not just one thing that's makes us gain muscle mass. It's all the little things we do that create a cumulative effect and put us in a more anabolic state.

I like to eat the cottage cheese and eggs before bed because I'm getting a few deferent sources of protein before I fast for 8 hours. I think casein was proven to digest slower and cottage cheese has a good amount of casein per serving but not sure off hand. Cottage cheese would good a great choice if you want to get some casein and can stomach the taste. That's if you think you need it. I also think I read some where cottage cheese is also high in BCAA.

Hope this helps, but hey what do i know I'm just a security guard ;)

Markusrulezzz

Markusrulezzz

Banned
Awards
  • Established
but didn't you read ? your body burns energy when it tries to digest that casein and doesn't let you get the REM kinda sleep, messes with your GH

StackedCop

StackedCop

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
but didn't you read ? your body burns energy when it tries to digest that casein and doesn't let you get the REM kinda sleep, messes with your GH

I really don't think it's that significant. I'm not pounding down 60 grams of protein from a casein shake. I'm getting approximately 25 grams of protein from the cottage cheese and not all of it's casein... Was the whole sleep and GH issue someones opinion or was it quoted from a study?

I just googled casein and it looks like there're some other negative side effect to it...

kanakafarian

kanakafarian

Awards
Don't believe everything you read. Most things online are blown out of proportion or way over-exaggerated. And most things are just read and repeated verbatim without a person even having personal experience.

Markusrulezzz

Markusrulezzz

Banned
Awards
  • Established
The GH issue is due to when you take Casein, your body will not go into deep sleep because your body is burning energy to digest the casein, no deep sleep = less GH in your body = bad recovery

however I have heard cottage cheese is way better than these Casein powders because the powders are like glue and they are too harsh for kidneys and intestines... It made sense because everytime I mix casein with milk, I see gluish bubbles in my shake and it's hard to wash

StackedCop

StackedCop

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Don't believe everything you read. Most things online are blown out of proportion or way over-exaggerated. And most things are just read and repeated verbatim without a person even having personal experience.
I agree with you 100%

How much energy could your body possible use to digest the casein? Has there ever been a sleep study done on a bodybuilder while supplementing with casein and another study comparing his sleep without the casein?

StackedCop

StackedCop

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
http://www.howtowakeupearly.com/do-not-eat-before-going-to-bed.aspx

but it also says a glass of milk is okay ! I don't know man, **** is confusing !!!!!!

I have heard if you want a better sleep do not eat anything 2 hours prior to bed
WE ARE NOT NORMAL PEOPLE WE ARE ELITE SUPER HUMANS. WE CAN EAT BEFORE BED!!

Sorry for yelling lol

I didn't read the link man I've heard the whole "don't eat before bed" my mom told me that... She also told me don't eat before I swim or I'll vomit. Guess what, I've ate right before swimming and I never threw up.

kanakafarian

kanakafarian

Awards
WE ARE NOT NORMAL PEOPLE WE ARE ELITE SUPER HUMANS. WE CAN EAT BEFORE BED!!

Sorry for yelling lol

I didn't read the link man I've heard the whole "don't eat before bed" my mom told me that... She also told me don't eat before I swim or I'll vomit. Guess what, I've ate right before swimming and I never threw up.
LOL

LAGear

LAGear

Awards
  • Established
The GH issue is due to when you take Casein, your body will not go into deep sleep because your body is burning energy to digest the casein, no deep sleep = less GH in your body = bad recovery

however I have heard cottage cheese is way better than these Casein powders because the powders are like glue and they are too harsh for kidneys and intestines... It made sense because everytime I mix casein with milk, I see gluish bubbles in my shake and it's hard to wash
According to what?

This is a load of BS IMO.

Suuure, if you eat before going to bed it's going to override your body's ability to produce GH. And it will prevent you from going into REM. REALLY??? Do you really buy this?

We're talking about a ~10oz beverage here not a side of beef.

Sounds like the epitome of bro science to me. I would be absolutely shocked to find a study that proved any of this. Not a study that shows a slight reduction of REM/GH but a study that shows it interferes so much that it overrides the advantages of taking casein at night.

As for casein being hard on your kidneys & intestines I also find that very hard to believe. Do you have any idea what kind of harsh environment exists in your stomach. Casein powder is no match for that. Your stomach will take care of those clumps and even if the clumps make it through they are nothing compared to what your digestive tract is able to handle that is produced by your stomach.

When you read something online the first thing it has to do is pass the sniff test. It might sound logical but is it probable? And is it supported by any kind of scientific study? No to the former and probably no to the latter.

james122

james122

Awards
  • Established
my personal experience is this:

I have used 2 scoops of casien pre bed for 2 years for the "all night nutrient" aspect, to avoid any possible catabolism, I was forced to stop about 6 months ago due to a job loss and no $$, I switched to eggs and megadosed bcaas pre bed and have put on muscle so for me.. the myth is busted.. . FOR ME. not saying casien is worthless, not saying that YOU should not take it pre bed, but when I stopped taking it pred bed the gains kept comming. I will glady buy some if the price of protien ever gets reasonable again, but right now I would rather spend my $$ on a months worth of bcaas. thats my .02

rankbull

rankbull

Awards
  • Established

Wheyfocused

Awards
  • Established
I wouldnt spend money on a casein only supplement.

You wont go catabolic overnight. Hit your macros during the day and you will be fine.

If you are that concerned, do what was mentioned earlier...get some cottage cheese

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
How many of you take casein before bed ?

this thing is expensive and I hear lots of mixed reviews like you don't really need
I don't use it - I don't use ANY protein powder now, period. I usually have either have BC+EAA or food before bed.

...WE CAN EAT BEFORE BED!!
:goodpost:

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
Indeed, care to share why?
So many reasons. Catabolism isn't going to happen overnight for one. Number two, high doses of casein are poorly metabolized due to the formation of paracasein. Number 3 I'd rather eat whole food. And number 4, I don't want to drink a shake before bed and have to wake up to pee.

sking6464

sking6464

Awards
  • Established
i dont care for casein either....greek yogurt or isolate, doesnt matter to me.....as it was said if you get all your macros in, doesnt matter....altho ultra peptide is great

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
i dont care for casein either....greek yogurt or isolate, doesnt matter to me.....as it was said if you get all your macros in, doesnt matter....altho ultra peptide is great
UP2.0 LCP in greek yogurt with kashi go lean mix-ins is a pre-bed staple of mine

sking6464

sking6464

Awards
  • Established
im feeling you, gotta try that

freezito

freezito

Awards
  • Established
oh my i didnt know they made a lcp flavor! i luv the choc pb

rochabp

rochabp

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
yes plus i have heard that your body naturally slows down digestion during sleep hours despite the fact weather its casein or whey.

CHAPS

Awards
  • Established
Micellar casein is great stuff, on the pricier side but definitely worth it by it's self or with some whey. I barely even touch whey anymore, i'd definetly lean towards micellar casein for slow digesting and peptopro for faster digesting. Quality over quantity is definitely my attidude with protein now more then ever.

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
Micellar casein is great stuff, on the pricier side but definitely worth it by it's self or with some whey. I barely even touch whey anymore, i'd definetly lean towards micellar casein for slow digesting and peptopro for faster digesting. Quality over quantity is definitely my attidude with protein now more then ever.
Why? Fringe differences in protein digestion rates have essentially no effect on body composition in the face of overall macronutrient consumption.

CHAPS

Awards
  • Established
Why? Fringe differences in protein digestion rates have essentially no effect on body composition in the face of overall macronutrient consumption.
I found myself getting bigger and leaner when i replaced whey with micellar casein gram for gram and at times less overal protein when i included pepto pro pre and post workout. Dante Trudel mentioned a while back that whey isn't the be all end all of proteins, this came up because the price of whey was going up. This got me thinking about trying different proteins, I also really like True Protein's liquid beef aminos.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Not very. I may take some cottege cheese last meal when I am not that worried about losing body fat; other than that no, not a big fan.

whey shakes and bcaa's

spicyer

Awards
I take 30 grams of calcium caseinate before bed, mixed with extra bcaa's and glutamine, but then I also take 40 grams of bcaa's and glutamine during the day. My theory is if 10% of it's working thats 10% more than I had. I sleep great!

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
I found myself getting bigger and leaner when i replaced whey with micellar casein gram for gram and at times less overal protein when i included pepto pro pre and post workout. Dante Trudel mentioned a while back that whey isn't the be all end all of proteins, this came up because the price of whey was going up. This got me thinking about trying different proteins, I also really like True Protein's liquid beef aminos.
Interesting. I personally haven't noticed a difference between casein and whey, but I'll have to try peptopro and decide for myself. Ever use BCAAs? How does peptopro compare?

CHAPS

Awards
  • Established
Interesting. I personally haven't noticed a difference between casein and whey, but I'll have to try peptopro and decide for myself. Ever use BCAAs? How does peptopro compare?
Peptopro is extremely potent you only need 10g's a serving, yes i've used BCAA's only during a workout, Xtend I used to sip on 40g's before during and after my workout i found better recovery and endurance. Honestly i would have to do the BCAA's just before and after to give a fair answer. Recovery was definitely way up with Peptopro though.

ntornado

Awards
mmmmm.........i abuse them, i think they are essential
I agree, I love BCAA's especially in capsule form as you can pop some anywhere in between meals.

A quarter of a way through a tub of Casein however and taking it pre-bed - wish this thread was around before I bought it.

sking6464

sking6464

Awards
  • Established
Peptopro is extremely potent you only need 10g's a serving, yes i've used BCAA's only during a workout, Xtend I used to sip on 40g's before during and after my workout i found better recovery and endurance. Honestly i would have to do the BCAA's just before and after to give a fair answer. Recovery was definitely way up with Peptopro though.
i like the peptopro too, 20g of the map, another 10g of ibcaa, and it works doms wise....im not small either, so half that map dose works too

ill do that pre/post.....i know guys like intra, but i prefer water, and like my breath fresh just in case