D Aspartic Acid & Negative side effects

Page 3 of 17 First 123458 ... Last
  1. Senior Member
    Aleksandar37's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  195 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,822
    Rep Power
    1241204
    Level
    50
    Lv. Percent
    93.51%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by CobbledPath View Post
    I started getting really bad anxiety on DAA and I've never had it before.. I've since stopped but am still getting it, but noticeably less often.. I don't suggest DAA is solely to blame for this, however it is interesting that it's declined since I stopped taking it.
    Anxiety can indeed be caused by activation of the NMDA receptor, which is why supplementing with Magnesium (which blocks the channel) can help aleviate anxiety symptoms. Of course, using DAA and Mg together would defeat the purpose of each, so if you're having anxiety issues, I wouldn't use DAA.

  2. New Member
    bubsnt3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    282
    Rep Power
    257
    Level
    14
    Lv. Percent
    7.96%

    Quote Originally Posted by Aleksandar37 View Post
    So to sum up what I've read thus far. DAA has been shown to increase test in in vivo studies, but nobody can produce a single study showing this excitotoxicity that some are stating as "fact." Please, if you have a study, post it, otherwise that is worse than bro science...it's bad science.
    It is actually good science. No studies have been performed for the safety in humans.. DAA is a PROVEN EXITOTOXIN with agonist activity at the NMDA receptor.. And NMDA toxicity is not someones theory but proven science.. You are saying to ignore both anecdotal reports and available scientific literature because it is not "fact." That is rediculous when this substance has never been tested for it's toxicity in humans.. That is like saying taking the proline analog that was in Slim Xtreme is safe because noone has proof that the specific proline analog is neorotoxic.. Although 2DPMP is and they are as close as two sides of the same coin.. If you are basing your faith in the studies or information that supplement companies produce you are a retard.

    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11738498
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Excitotoxicity

    The amino acid, D-aspartate, exists in the mammalian brain and is an agonist at the N-methyl-D-aspartate (NMDA) subtype of ionotropic glutamate receptors.

    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15806114
  3. Board Sponsor
    DAdams91982's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Age
    32
    Posts
    7,483
    Rep Power
    1057411
    Level
    64
    Lv. Percent
    58.05%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by bubsnt3 View Post
    It is actually good science. No studies have been performed for the safety in humans.. DAA is a PROVEN EXITOTOXIN with agonist activity at the NMDA receptor.. And NMDA toxicity is not someones theory but proven science.. You are saying to ignore both anecdotal reports and available scientific literature because it is not "fact." That is rediculous when this substance has never been tested for it's toxicity in humans.. That is like saying taking the proline analog that was in Slim Xtreme is safe because noone has proof that the specific proline analog is neorotoxic.. Although 2DPMP is and they are as close as two sides of the same coin.. If you are basing your faith in the studies or information that supplement companies produce you are a retard.

    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11738498
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Excitotoxicity

    The amino acid, D-aspartate, exists in the mammalian brain and is an agonist at the N-methyl-D-aspartate (NMDA) subtype of ionotropic glutamate receptors.

    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15806114
    Beat me to it. DAA also converts to N-Methyl-D-Asparate through SAMe methyl-transferese.
    The Historic PES Legend
    •   
       

  4. Elite Member
    Young Gotti's Avatar
    Stats
    5'5"  100 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    5,454
    Rep Power
    1369329
    Level
    62
    Lv. Percent
    28.53%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by thesinner View Post
    Yeah, aspartic acids have a sweet taste.

    Studies are showing that it increases testosterone by about a third. What sort of gains were you expecting from daa?
    just expected to see some of the stuff i was reading in reviews.....alpha male feeling, overall well being increased, leaning and hardening, possibly some strength gains
  5. Advanced Member
    edvanp's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  238 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Age
    49
    Posts
    646
    Rep Power
    465
    Level
    20
    Lv. Percent
    29.67%

    I've run DAA on 3 seperate occasions. I've used bulk from NP & TCF-1. Minimum run was 2 weeks, max was a month. Each time I've noticed the following:

    Positives:
    -Better workouts & recovery
    -More of an "alpha male" mentality when working out

    Negatives
    -dull headache
    -sleep wasn't as sound or as good as it normally is
    -bloating. I seem to hold water when taking it
    -mood is off just a bit

    Does it work? I think it does raise "T" levels for me. I do get some acne on my back but I didn't experience any crazy rise in libido though.
  6. Senior Member
    Aleksandar37's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  195 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,822
    Rep Power
    1241204
    Level
    50
    Lv. Percent
    93.51%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by bubsnt3 View Post
    It is actually good science. No studies have been performed for the safety in humans.. DAA is a PROVEN EXITOTOXIN with agonist activity at the NMDA receptor.. And NMDA toxicity is not someones theory but proven science.. You are saying to ignore both anecdotal reports and available scientific literature because it is not "fact." That is rediculous when this substance has never been tested for it's toxicity in humans.. That is like saying taking the proline analog that was in Slim Xtreme is safe because noone has proof that the specific proline analog is neorotoxic.. Although 2DPMP is and they are as close as two sides of the same coin.. If you are basing your faith in the studies or information that supplement companies produce you are a retard.

    The amino acid, D-aspartate, exists in the mammalian brain and is an agonist at the N-methyl-D-aspartate (NMDA) subtype of ionotropic glutamate receptors.
    Your first citation is a study in the slice which they intentionally use a large amount of NMDA, NOT DAA to lesion the cells in their study. This is common practice and is not proof in any way, shape or form. The second citation is wikipedia...shooting that one down is too easy.

    Your third citation shows that DAA is an agonist of NMDA, BUT never once shows it to be excitotoxic. Just because something is an agonist, does not make it excitotoxic! DAA is a precursor to the biosynthesis of NMDA, but even that does not mean it will lead to excitoxicity. If any compound in use today has been shown to have excitotoxic properties, it is nitric oxide, but even that is not always the case and the mass amounts of arginine you would need to ingest to actually make this possible across the blood brain barrier make it a moot point.

    You're talking about endogenous neurotransmitters in relation to an event like excitotoxicty which requires a unique set of circumstances to occur. The simple act of increasing neurotransmission will not cause excitotoxicity.

    I'm not trying to be a jerk, just trying to keep you honest because I keep seeing this said with no evidence. So I will repeat my challenge. Can anybody show a single in vivo study where DAA causes excitotoxicity?
  7. Senior Member
    Aleksandar37's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  195 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,822
    Rep Power
    1241204
    Level
    50
    Lv. Percent
    93.51%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by bubsnt3 View Post
    If you are basing your faith in the studies or information that supplement companies produce you are a retard.
    And just to address this direct attack on me. I'm asking an honest question as somebody that has a PhD in neuroscience. I do not work for or rep any company nor do I believe anything that anybody says without seeing studies that back it up. So I find your accusation of me being a "retard" to be quite funny and await you actually addressing my question.
  8. Board Sponsor
    DAdams91982's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Age
    32
    Posts
    7,483
    Rep Power
    1057411
    Level
    64
    Lv. Percent
    58.05%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by Aleksandar37 View Post
    And just to address this direct attack on me. I'm asking an honest question as somebody that has a PhD in neuroscience. I do not work for or rep any company nor do I believe anything that anybody says without seeing studies that back it up. So I find your accusation of me being a "retard" to be quite funny and await you actually addressing my question.
    I do not personally care for attacks as such, but please spare us your E-Resume.

    All the science leads to what has been stated, being a neuroscientist I would assume you would provide a word of caution given the facts presented. As I have yet to see you provide in vivo studies proving to the contrary I can only assume you have some vested interest, even after the aforementioned statement. In our PM you even agreed with me about DAA converting to N-Methyl-D-Aspartate, but then gave a "Yes, but" that something that is a known excitotoxin is no long an excitotoxin in this instance?!

    As a neuroscientiest I would expect you to err on the side of caution. Seems incongruous to your self proclaimed profession.
    The Historic PES Legend
  9. Senior Member
    Aleksandar37's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  195 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,822
    Rep Power
    1241204
    Level
    50
    Lv. Percent
    93.51%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by DAdams91982 View Post
    I do not personally care for attacks as such, but please spare us your E-Resume.

    All the science leads to what has been stated, being a neuroscientist I would assume you would provide a word of caution given the facts presented. As I have yet to see you provide in vivo studies proving to the contrary I can only assume you have some vested interest, even after the aforementioned statement. In our PM you even agreed with me about DAA converting to N-Methyl-D-Aspartate, but then gave a "Yes, but" that something that is a known excitotoxin is no long an excitotoxin in this instance?!

    As a neuroscientiest I would expect you to err on the side of caution. Seems incongruous to your self proclaimed profession.
    I have no vested interest and will not be pulled into a name calling match as you have now jumped on board with that one. I have NOT said that DAA is completely safe and everybody should use it.

    This is real easy and let me talk slow so even my "retard" brain can keep up. Can anybody show one single study where DAA causes excitotoxicity?

    I'm asking for my own personal knowledge and don't care if the study was performed in humans, rats or trees. Just one!
  10. Banned
    dragevo's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  191 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    80
    Rep Power
    0
    Level
    8
    Lv. Percent
    24.85%

    Ive bben taking 4.5 g a day for 9 days with no sides except some diarhea 2 days. Not noticing strength increases yet. I have anxiety and havent felt different.
  11. New Member
    bubsnt3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    282
    Rep Power
    257
    Level
    14
    Lv. Percent
    7.96%

    Quote Originally Posted by Aleksandar37 View Post
    And just to address this direct attack on me. I'm asking an honest question as somebody that has a PhD in neuroscience. I do not work for or rep any company nor do I believe anything that anybody says without seeing studies that back it up. So I find your accusation of me being a "retard" to be quite funny and await you actually addressing my question.
    Sorry, I don't mean to sound rude.. But having a PhD means no more than you went to school.. Unfortunatly that doesn't mean you have a brain.. That is why companies like Google do IQ tests before hiring people.. Sorry if I am not impressed.. I am an engineer and have a masters degree, does that somehow validate my points more??

    The above studies I posted show that DAA is an NMDA agonist itself, is converted to NMDA, and that excesive NMDA stimulation is excitotoxic.. Until some studies are done on humans I will draw my own conclusions based on the available scientific literature..
  12. New Member
    bubsnt3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    282
    Rep Power
    257
    Level
    14
    Lv. Percent
    7.96%

    Quote Originally Posted by Aleksandar37 View Post
    I have no vested interest and will not be pulled into a name calling match as you have now jumped on board with that one. I have NOT said that DAA is completely safe and everybody should use it.

    This is real easy and let me talk slow so even my "retard" brain can keep up. Can anybody show one single study where DAA causes excitotoxicity?

    I'm asking for my own personal knowledge and don't care if the study was performed in humans, rats or trees. Just one!
    That is like saying "can you show me one study that shows neorotoxicity using Methylenedioxypyrovalerone." No studies have been completed; however, beings it is a norepinephrine-dopamine reuptake inhibitor we can gather that excesive use is going to produce effects similar to Ritalin, Adderall, etc..

    You have not posted any studies to the contrary and all scientific literature points in the opposite direction so until you produce some safety studies you really have no point.
  13. Board Sponsor
    DAdams91982's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Age
    32
    Posts
    7,483
    Rep Power
    1057411
    Level
    64
    Lv. Percent
    58.05%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by Aleksandar37 View Post
    I have no vested interest and will not be pulled into a name calling match as you have now jumped on board with that one. I have NOT said that DAA is completely safe and everybody should use it.

    This is real easy and let me talk slow so even my "retard" brain can keep up. Can anybody show one single study where DAA causes excitotoxicity?

    I'm asking for my own personal knowledge and don't care if the study was performed in humans, rats or trees. Just one!
    Actually if you reread my post I did not call you a name. Every PM, and now every post you keep stating you have a Ph.D in neuroscience and just so happen to be a researcher in that field. Which is quite convenient in this circumstance. All due respect but I do not see to many Ph.D visiting a site named AnabolicMinds, nor have the respectful time to do so at 9:30am (CST) on a Friday. Do we really need to post the numerous studies showing N-Methyl-D-A is an excitotoxin? Which DAA converts to, but somehow it is not an excitotoxin any longer?

    If I was so far off base you wouldn't get so defensive and begin providing studies to the contrary.
    The Historic PES Legend
  14. Banned
    dragevo's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  191 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    80
    Rep Power
    0
    Level
    8
    Lv. Percent
    24.85%

    All these long term sides are scaring me.
  15. New Member
    bubsnt3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    282
    Rep Power
    257
    Level
    14
    Lv. Percent
    7.96%

    Quote Originally Posted by dragevo View Post
    All these long term sides are scaring me.
    Honesly noone is saying not to use DAA. I think we are just trying to educate people so that they can make an informed decision on use and possible risks.. Methamphetamine is neorotoxic but some people use it for years and have no long term side effects.. Others do.

    I believe that this thread is about exposing potential effects so that users can make their own decision on the benefits/risk.. Honestly, the test boost that has been shown is hardly enough to produce effects beyond what an AI would. AI tests showed test was raised far beyond what DAA does and there are not the same exitotoxic risks involved.
  16. Senior Member
    Aleksandar37's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  195 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,822
    Rep Power
    1241204
    Level
    50
    Lv. Percent
    93.51%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by DAdams91982 View Post
    Actually if you reread my post I did not call you a name. Every PM, and now every post you keep stating you have a Ph.D in neuroscience and just so happen to be a researcher in that field. Which is quite convenient in this circumstance. All due respect but I do not see to many Ph.D visiting a site named AnabolicMinds, nor have the respectful time to do so at 9:30am (CST) on a Friday. Do we really need to post the numerous studies showing N-Methyl-D-A is an excitotoxin? Which DAA converts to, but somehow it is not an excitotoxin any longer?

    If I was so far off base you wouldn't get so defensive and begin providing studies to the contrary.
    The fact that I study glutamatergic neurotransmission every single day is exactly why I am taking the time to address this issue. Just because I do have a PhD does not make my opinions any more valid than yours and I did not state that ever for that intention. Opinions are opinions and your opinion is that I'm a liar and that a straw man debate will somehow prove your point rather than answering my question. So, let me leave on this.

    1) I never once said DAA is safe or should be used by anybody

    2) I never once said DAA does increase test levels and in fact I have yet to see convincing evdidence that it does (those boar testicle studies do little to convince me)

    3) I simply asked if DAA has been shown to cause excitotoxicity because I looked and could not find a single study and thought perhaps you all could point me in the direction of one

    4) When answered with studies that did not actually answer my question, I said why they did not and asked again

    So everybody have a wonderful day. I need to get back to my imaginary job with my imaginary degree.
  17. Elite Member
    StackedCop's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    5,721
    Rep Power
    135807
    Level
    51
    Lv. Percent
    40.18%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by bubsnt3 View Post
    Honesly noone is saying not to use DAA. I think we are just trying to educate people so that they can make an informed decision on use and possible risks.. Methamphetamine is neorotoxic but some people use it for years and have no long term side effects.. Others do.

    I believe that this thread is about exposing potential effects so that users can make their own decision on the benefits/risk.. Honestly, the test boost that has been shown is hardly enough to produce effects beyond what an AI would. AI tests showed test was raised far beyond what DAA does and there are not the same exitotoxic risks involved.
    I agree

    I started this thread after the whole NMDA issue was brought up several times in random DAA threads, but were quickly ignored. I myself ignored them till I was set to run a long cycle of DAA and a certain member took the time to explain to possible side effects.

    I'm very glad I was made aware of what I could do to myself and that's why I started this thread, so other could be aware. I could care less if some kills their body with supplements, steroids or drugs. It's their body go for it. I just don't want to see anyone use something while they're unaware of the sides....

  18. Recovering AXoholic
    thesinner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Age
    29
    Posts
    10,063
    Rep Power
    11893
    Level
    62
    Lv. Percent
    27.17%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

    Quote Originally Posted by Young Gotti View Post
    just expected to see some of the stuff i was reading in reviews.....alpha male feeling, overall well being increased, leaning and hardening, possibly some strength gains
    What I'm simply getting at is that if your total test is say, 500 ng/dL. That's about middle of the road in terms of healthy test levels. If it increases by a third, you're total test going up by a third leads to 667 ng/dL, which is still about middle of the road in terms of healthy test levels.

    In the end, it's only going to help increase test levels a bit. I think Bubsnt hit the nail on the head. It's an excitotoxin, which may raise test levels a little bit. I have a feeling that in a few years this substance will be like creatine monohydrate to a lesser degree. Some people love it, some people only get side effects, and some people are 'non-responders'.
    Athletic Xtreme Rep
    Bob@athleticxtreme.com
    IFFI
    Ask me about the Athletic Xtreme Product Line
  19. Advanced Member
    bluehealer's Avatar
    Stats
    5'7"  171 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    997
    Rep Power
    3532
    Level
    24
    Lv. Percent
    65.26%

    Quote Originally Posted by thesinner View Post
    What I'm simply getting at is that if your total test is say, 500 ng/dL. That's about middle of the road in terms of healthy test levels. If it increases by a third, you're total test going up by a third leads to 667 ng/dL, which is still about middle of the road in terms of healthy test levels.

    In the end, it's only going to help increase test levels a bit. I think Bubsnt hit the nail on the head. It's an excitotoxin, which may raise test levels a little bit. I have a feeling that in a few years this substance will be like creatine monohydrate to a lesser degree. Some people love it, some people only get side effects, and some people are 'non-responders'.
    What about this?

    MORE Testosterone? †
    You bet. The key ingredient in ----, D-Aspartic Acid, has been clinically demonstrated to increase mens' natural testosterone production by up to 84% in less than 2 weeks. †
  20. Recovering AXoholic
    thesinner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Age
    29
    Posts
    10,063
    Rep Power
    11893
    Level
    62
    Lv. Percent
    27.17%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

    I'm looking at a different study, a different dosage, and a different sampling time.
    Athletic Xtreme Rep
    Bob@athleticxtreme.com
    IFFI
    Ask me about the Athletic Xtreme Product Line
  21. Advanced Member
    bluehealer's Avatar
    Stats
    5'7"  171 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    997
    Rep Power
    3532
    Level
    24
    Lv. Percent
    65.26%

    Quote Originally Posted by thesinner View Post
    I'm looking at a different study, a different dosage, and a different sampling time.
    Cool
  22. Advanced Member
    HondaV65's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  230 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Age
    52
    Posts
    828
    Rep Power
    2269
    Level
    22
    Lv. Percent
    75.14%

    Well I'm not a PhD and I don't have a Masters - don't even have a batchelors.

    I'm just a dumb old Visigoth who likes to dead lift and squat - I'm very horny but not too smart. I might have three brain cells that always occupied with either sex, food, or motorcycles.

    Soooo ...

    Here's the deal ...

    Can someone explain this stuff in simple idiot's terms?

    I looked up "NMDA RECEPTOR" on Wikipedia and the definition there made my head hurt.

    So what are the possibilities here? Is it possible that DAA ...

    A. Will make me stupider? (I know - prolly impossible but I have to ask)
    B. Will make me an angry person ... or an excessively happy one ... or will it make me give my grandkids the "stink eye" and talk about how their generation sucks?
    C. Will it turn me homo?
    D. Will it make me fantasize about Rosanne Barr?

    Basically - what's being alleged here as potential sides?

    Anyone out there who can explain this in layman's terms?
  23. Recovering AXoholic
    thesinner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Age
    29
    Posts
    10,063
    Rep Power
    11893
    Level
    62
    Lv. Percent
    27.17%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

    I beleive the argument in this thread is geared primarily towards bulk DAA.

    You start stacking with other things, and the numbers in the claim start to lose their meaning. You know what I mean.
    Athletic Xtreme Rep
    Bob@athleticxtreme.com
    IFFI
    Ask me about the Athletic Xtreme Product Line
  24. New Member
    bubsnt3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    282
    Rep Power
    257
    Level
    14
    Lv. Percent
    7.96%

    Quote Originally Posted by HondaV65 View Post
    Well I'm not a PhD and I don't have a Masters - don't even have a batchelors.

    I'm just a dumb old Visigoth who likes to dead lift and squat - I'm very horny but not too smart. I might have three brain cells that always occupied with either sex, food, or motorcycles.

    Soooo ...

    Here's the deal ...

    Can someone explain this stuff in simple idiot's terms?

    I looked up "NMDA RECEPTOR" on Wikipedia and the definition there made my head hurt.

    So what are the possibilities here? Is it possible that DAA ...

    A. Will make me stupider? (I know - prolly impossible but I have to ask)
    B. Will make me an angry person ... or an excessively happy one ... or will it make me give my grandkids the "stink eye" and talk about how their generation sucks?
    C. Will it turn me homo?
    D. Will it make me fantasize about Rosanne Barr?

    Basically - what's being alleged here as potential sides?

    Anyone out there who can explain this in layman's terms?
    Aspartic Acid Aspartate is a neurotransmitter in the brain, facilitating information from one neuron to another. Too much aspartate allows an influx of calcium into the brain cells, triggering an excessive amount of free radicals which kill the cells. Aspartate is referred to as an "excitotoxin" because of the nerve cell damage that it causes. Many chronic illnesses have been attributed to long term excitotoxin exposure, including multiple sclerosis, ALS, memory loss, hormonal problems, hearing loss, epilepsy, Alzheimer's disease, Parkinson's disease, hypoglycemia, dementia, brain lesions and neuroendocrine disorders. In 1971, Dr. John Olney, neuroscientist and one of the world's foremost experts on excitotoxins, informed G.D. Searle that his research had revealed that aspartic acid caused holes in the brains of mice.

    And a little more complicated but still easy to follow explaination...

    Glutamate receptors are excitatory - they literally excite the neurons containing them into electrical and cellular activity. There are 4 main classes of glutamate receptors: the NMDA (N-methyl-D-aspartate) receptor, the quisqualate/AMPA receptor, the kainite receptor, and the AMPA metabotropic receptor. Each of these receptors has a different structure, and has somewhat different effects on the neurons they excite. The NMDA is the most common glutamate receptor in the brain (13). The NMDA, kainite and quisqualate receptors all serve to open ion channels. The NMDA receptor is the most complex, and has more diverse and potentially devastating effects on receiving neurons than the others. When glutamate or aspartate attaches to the NMDA receptor, it triggers a flow of sodium (Na) and calcium (Ca) ions into the neuron, and an outflow of potassium (K). It is this ion exchange that triggers the neuron to "fire" an electric current across its membrane surface, in turn triggering a neurotransmitter release to whatever other neurons the just-fired neuron synaptically contacts. The kainite and AMPA ion channels primarily permit the exchange of Na and K ions, and generally cause briefer and weaker electric currents than NMDA receptors. Thus, when glutamate/aspartate acts through kainite/AMPA receptors, it is weakly excitatory, but when glutamate/aspartate act through NMDA receptors, they are strongly excitatory. (14) NMDA receptor activation is the basis of long-term potentiation, which in turn is the basis for memory consolidation and long-term memory formation. (14) After the neuron has fired, membrane pumps then pump the excess sodium and calcium back outside the neuron. (15) This is necessary to return the neuron to its resting, non-firing state. Neurons in a resting state prefer to keep calcium inside the cell at a level only 1/10,000 of that outside, with sodium levels 1/10 as high as outside the neuron (15) These pumps require ATP energy to function, and if they cannot keep up or if neuronal energy production is low for any reason the pumps may, gradually fail, allowing excessive calcium/sodium build up inside the cell which is disasterous (exitotoxic) (1-3)
  25. Elite Member
    Young Gotti's Avatar
    Stats
    5'5"  100 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    5,454
    Rep Power
    1369329
    Level
    62
    Lv. Percent
    28.53%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by thesinner View Post
    What I'm simply getting at is that if your total test is say, 500 ng/dL. That's about middle of the road in terms of healthy test levels. If it increases by a third, you're total test going up by a third leads to 667 ng/dL, which is still about middle of the road in terms of healthy test levels.

    In the end, it's only going to help increase test levels a bit. I think Bubsnt hit the nail on the head. It's an excitotoxin, which may raise test levels a little bit. I have a feeling that in a few years this substance will be like creatine monohydrate to a lesser degree. Some people love it, some people only get side effects, and some people are 'non-responders'.
    i agree, it almost can be said with anything in the supplement world, some stuff works for ppl some people it doesn't, and it could have increased test, without bloodwork i'm not sure, all the tests show it does and a lot of people love the stuff, so i'm not doubting that, just didn't see any noticeable differences and in most cases, people see something
  26. Recovering AXoholic
    thesinner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Age
    29
    Posts
    10,063
    Rep Power
    11893
    Level
    62
    Lv. Percent
    27.17%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

    Quote Originally Posted by Young Gotti View Post
    i agree, it almost can be said with anything in the supplement world, some stuff works for ppl some people it doesn't, and it could have increased test, without bloodwork i'm not sure, all the tests show it does and a lot of people love the stuff, so i'm not doubting that, just didn't see any noticeable differences and in most cases, people see something
    Yeah, that's the catch 22.

    As a consumer, you don't actually care about increasing your test levels. It's whether or not they carry over to muscle/strength gains in the gym.
    Athletic Xtreme Rep
    Bob@athleticxtreme.com
    IFFI
    Ask me about the Athletic Xtreme Product Line
  27. New Member
    obvious's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  201 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Age
    34
    Posts
    238
    Rep Power
    303
    Level
    13
    Lv. Percent
    15.17%

    This really is a dose-dependency topic and until we have peer-reviewed proof of what an excitotoxic dose is... it's just a crap shoot.

    Also, duration makes all the difference. If it's recommended to take DAA at 3g a day for 14 days but it takes 90 days for excitotoxicity to occur at this dose... you get my drift.

    ****, how much DAA is even bioavailable/excreted after oral ingestion of a 3g dose?

    The studies just aren't there for anyone to feel 100% safe taking DAA - but as someone else mentioned a good deal of people take all sorts of narcotics that are known to be harmful.

    What if DAA turns out to prevent all forms of brain cancer? No one has any clue at this point.
  28. Diamond Member
    thebigt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    29,260
    Rep Power
    10752155
    Level
    120
    Lv. Percent
    60.05%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProActivity VeteranActivity RoyaltyActivity God

    Quote Originally Posted by thesinner View Post
    What I'm simply getting at is that if your total test is say, 500 ng/dL. That's about middle of the road in terms of healthy test levels. If it increases by a third, you're total test going up by a third leads to 667 ng/dL, which is still about middle of the road in terms of healthy test levels.

    In the end, it's only going to help increase test levels a bit. I think Bubsnt hit the nail on the head. It's an excitotoxin, which may raise test levels a little bit. I have a feeling that in a few years this substance will be like creatine monohydrate to a lesser degree. Some people love it, some people only get side effects, and some people are 'non-responders'.
    ok, bob-i have a question for you. will it effect someone like me, who has been on trt for a considerable amount of time, differently than someone who starts out with normal range test level.
  29. New Member
    bubsnt3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    282
    Rep Power
    257
    Level
    14
    Lv. Percent
    7.96%

    Quote Originally Posted by obvious View Post
    This really is a dose-dependency topic and until we have peer-reviewed proof of what an excitotoxic dose is... it's just a crap shoot.

    Also, duration makes all the difference. If it's recommended to take DAA at 3g a day for 14 days but it takes 90 days for excitotoxicity to occur at this dose... you get my drift.

    ****, how much DAA is even bioavailable/excreted after oral ingestion of a 3g dose?

    The studies just aren't there for anyone to feel 100% safe taking DAA - but as someone else mentioned a good deal of people take all sorts of narcotics that are known to be harmful.

    What if DAA turns out to prevent all forms of brain cancer? No one has any clue at this point.
    unfortunatly that is where the whole problem lies.. No one know the safety of the product because it hasn't been tested.. One way or the other. Companies just picked it up because it increased gnrh, lh, fsh, and test.. And they expect me to test it for safety.. At least if I take meth it has years of studies and user feedback I can refer to...
  30. New Member
    mikeshark00's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    124
    Rep Power
    125
    Level
    10
    Lv. Percent
    2.89%

    Where is Pat Arnold?

    Furthermore, i think Dr. Dana Houser is doing a self study on DAA at 3gms a day over a 12 month period. Maybe he could chime in??

    I've taken DAA with Clomid during pct. worked outwell, but i was also incorporating AI as a down stroke im my pct, so there was overlap. therefore, i can only speculate on DAA effects.

    i need to run DAA solo for 14 days, and will post.
  31. Board Sponsor
    DAdams91982's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Age
    32
    Posts
    7,483
    Rep Power
    1057411
    Level
    64
    Lv. Percent
    58.05%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by mikeshark00 View Post
    Where is Pat Arnold?

    Furthermore, i think Dr. Dana Houser is doing a self study on DAA at 3gms a day over a 12 month period. Maybe he could chime in??

    I've taken DAA with Clomid during pct. worked outwell, but i was also incorporating AI as a down stroke im my pct, so there was overlap. therefore, i can only speculate on DAA effects.

    i need to run DAA solo for 14 days, and will post.
    Pat has already chimed in. Provided us what he could.

    I doubt Dinoii is taking brain biopsies looking for damage, but I could be wrong.
    The Historic PES Legend
  32. Senior Member
    BurghHardcore's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  190 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Age
    32
    Posts
    1,113
    Rep Power
    43309
    Level
    27
    Lv. Percent
    2.28%
    Achievements Posting Pro

    This is without a doubt one of the best/informative threads to show up on this site in a long time. Simply awesome...
  33. Recovering AXoholic
    thesinner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Age
    29
    Posts
    10,063
    Rep Power
    11893
    Level
    62
    Lv. Percent
    27.17%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

    Quote Originally Posted by thebigt View Post
    ok, bob-i have a question for you. will it effect someone like me, who has been on trt for a considerable amount of time, differently than someone who starts out with normal range test level.
    It might.

    DAA occurs naturally within the body. If low amounts of the necessary enzyme for natural production exist, this might be a possible outlet for increasing test levels.

    The purpose of any supplement is to obtain sufficient amounts of a desired substrate, which cannot be obtained by normal diet.

    Look at ZMA. Unless you have a zinc or magnesium deficiency, the results are quite hampered.
    Athletic Xtreme Rep
    Bob@athleticxtreme.com
    IFFI
    Ask me about the Athletic Xtreme Product Line
  34. Recovering AXoholic
    thesinner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Age
    29
    Posts
    10,063
    Rep Power
    11893
    Level
    62
    Lv. Percent
    27.17%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

    Quote Originally Posted by DAdams91982 View Post
    Pat has already chimed in. Provided us what he could.

    I doubt Dinoii is taking brain biopsies looking for damage, but I could be wrong.
    Dana's pretty hardcore, so it's tough to say.
    Athletic Xtreme Rep
    Bob@athleticxtreme.com
    IFFI
    Ask me about the Athletic Xtreme Product Line
  35. Diamond Member
    thebigt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    29,260
    Rep Power
    10752155
    Level
    120
    Lv. Percent
    60.05%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProActivity VeteranActivity RoyaltyActivity God

    Quote Originally Posted by thesinner View Post
    It might.

    DAA occurs naturally within the body. If low amounts of the necessary enzyme for natural production exist, this might be a possible outlet for increasing test levels.

    The purpose of any supplement is to obtain sufficient amounts of a desired substrate, which cannot be obtained by normal diet.

    Look at ZMA. Unless you have a zinc or magnesium deficiency, the results are quite hampered.
    so becuase my natural test has and is shutdown, the benefits of daa could possibly be more beneficial? possibly act like hcg? the difference between someone on pct, and someone on trt taking daa, is that i am continuing to inject test while taking the daa. even though in both cases shutdown has occured, and a 1/3rd increase in natural test would be very beneficial, it seems to me that it would be even more advantageous on top of the injected test, no facts involved, just my thoughts.
  36. Board Sponsor
    DAdams91982's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Age
    32
    Posts
    7,483
    Rep Power
    1057411
    Level
    64
    Lv. Percent
    58.05%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by thesinner View Post
    Dana's pretty hardcore, so it's tough to say.
    Ha... that's why i put in the disclaimer!
    The Historic PES Legend
  37. Recovering AXoholic
    thesinner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Age
    29
    Posts
    10,063
    Rep Power
    11893
    Level
    62
    Lv. Percent
    27.17%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

    Quote Originally Posted by thebigt View Post
    so becuase my natural test has and is shutdown, the benefits of daa could possibly be more beneficial? possibly act like hcg? the difference between someone on pct, and someone on trt taking daa, is that i am continuing to inject test while taking the daa. even though in both cases shutdown has occured, and a 1/3rd increase in natural test would be very beneficial, it seems to me that it would be even more advantageous on top of the injected test, no facts involved, just my thoughts.
    It really depends on what metabolic mechanisms are limiting your natural test production. Throwing in injected test complexes things a bit, as well.

    If you are injecting test, steroidogenesis (making pregnenolone from cholesterol) starts to shut down. That's why LDL levels tend to go up.
    Athletic Xtreme Rep
    Bob@athleticxtreme.com
    IFFI
    Ask me about the Athletic Xtreme Product Line
  38. Advanced Member
    TheLastRonin's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  228 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    959
    Rep Power
    594
    Level
    24
    Lv. Percent
    9.56%

    http://www . lean bulk . com/forum/

    ask-dr-houser/13065-daa-toxicity-hpta.html


    Won't link so copy paste and put the spaces together.
  39. New Member
    bubsnt3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    282
    Rep Power
    257
    Level
    14
    Lv. Percent
    7.96%

    Quote Originally Posted by TheLastRonin View Post
    http://www . lean bulk . com/forum/

    ask-dr-houser/13065-daa-toxicity-hpta.html


    Won't link so copy paste and put the spaces together.
    yeah, those people don't have a vested interest in any DAA products

    I would go give my input there but don't have time or attention for multiple forums.. There are some obvious problems with their input, as well as, the aspartame studies quoted..
    1. Aspartame is %40 L-DAA, given a 165lb person at 75mg/kg that is still only 2/3 of the dose of DAA that people are taking.
    2. Aspartame requires metabolism which is a rate limiting step for DAA production. This means that taking equal amounts of DAA and % wise of Aspartame are going to cause far different blood concentrations of DAA. Aspartame will not reach the same blood plasma level that straight DAA does even if you take the equivilant same amount
    3. DAA is an NMDA agonist itself
    4. Because of the higher blood concentrations of DAA, more is free to convert to NMDA at any given time. Addionally, given the secretion rate of DAA it is possible that you would never reach the blood acumulation level of DAA with Aspartame that you would with DAA supplementation

    Comparing Aspartame to DAA is like comparing L-lysine-D-amphetamine to D-amphetamine. It is far easier to reach nerotoxicity with an equivilant dose of D-amphet than with L-lysine-D-amphetamine
  40. Elite Member
    Young Gotti's Avatar
    Stats
    5'5"  100 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    5,454
    Rep Power
    1369329
    Level
    62
    Lv. Percent
    28.53%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by thesinner View Post
    Yeah, that's the catch 22.

    As a consumer, you don't actually care about increasing your test levels. It's whether or not they carry over to muscle/strength gains in the gym.
    or the bedroom
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. USPLabs D-aspartic acid Side Kick!
    By Guest in forum Company Promotions
    Replies: 48
    Last Post: 06-06-2012, 12:51 PM
  2. D-Aspartic Acid and estrogen effects
    By packers6211 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 12-19-2010, 08:36 AM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-08-2010, 12:32 PM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-04-2010, 01:45 PM
  5. CEE an beta alanine AAKG negative side effects
    By Graham in forum Supplements
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-30-2008, 03:43 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in