D Aspartic Acid & Negative side effects

StackedCop

StackedCop

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I've ran a few cycles of DAA some for 12 days some for 3 or 4 weeks. I've noted no noticeable negative side effect.

HOWEVER, I keep seeing random posts in DAA topics about DAA causing harm to the nmda receptor? What's up with this I'm? I don't want to use anything That's gonna **** me up.

Discussion please!!

greekgeorge

Awards
  • Established
I saw a thread of DR. D claiming it was healthy for that receptor as long as you did not stimulate for long periods of time and that taking a break at no less than half the time on would help. Also something about this receptor helping animals survival modes. Search Dr d on DAA itl come up

JudgementDay

JudgementDay

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I saw a thread of DR. D claiming it was healthy for that receptor as long as you did not stimulate for long periods of time and that taking a break at no less than half the time on would help. Also something about this receptor helping animals survival modes. Search Dr d on DAA itl come up
It's a very interesting read and DR.D is a genius, so I tend to feel pretty safe when taking daa.

kingdong

kingdong

Awards
  • Established
I had a really bad breakout when my DAA ran out. Whats up with that?

droyal

Awards
I've ran a few cycles of DAA some for 12 days some for 3 or 4 weeks. I've noted no noticeable negative side effect.

HOWEVER, I keep seeing random posts in DAA topics about DAA causing harm to the nmda receptor? What's up with this I'm? I don't want to use anything That's gonna **** me up.

Discussion please!!
Dude, can't deal with DAA at all, took it for two weeks, had the worst psychological affects on me big time, I'm always happy, took this stuff, and was alwasy depressed, major mood swings, wil never use again

StackedCop

StackedCop

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Dude, can't deal with DAA at all, took it for two weeks, had the worst psychological affects on me big time, I'm always happy, took this stuff, and was alwasy depressed, major mood swings, wil never use again
I get no BB'ing gains from DAA but I keep taking it because I love how I feel on it.. And my balls get freaking massive lol

kanakafarian

kanakafarian

Awards
I get no BB'ing gains from DAA but I keep taking it because I love how I feel on it.. And my balls get freaking massive lol
Massive balls are always good except when you're running sprints in boxers!

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
dr.d knows his daa!!!

i also found a thread where dinoii says he read a study saying that aspartame at 5-6 grams daily for 24 weeks showed no signs of brain disorder. probably the closest to a clinical daa study you will find, imo.

my advice, run it for short cycles of a month or less just to be cautious, with the same amount of off time before running again-this is for us guys who don't have bad reactions to it. if you have bad reactions to it you would be a fool to continue using.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
my libido tanked, but i got great bb gains-just goes to show.......

bdcc

bdcc

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I read a lot on DAA and excitotoxicity. As DAA is new in the bodybuilding world everything I read was subjective.

Quotes like this from some of the 'experts' in formula creation for a couple of the companies/company owners/scientists etc.

"I don't think it will be a problem in high doses"
"Take appropriate time off between cycles"

I wasn't convinced because it was a hypothesis at best. What is a "high dose"? Some people reported serious psychological effects from taking it at recommended doses but others didn't.

So, a high dose for one may not be a high dose for another. It makes sense that time on:time off ratios would be different for people as well when considering safety.

This isn't like a PCT or hormonal cycle where you get a hormonal profile, liver, lipid etc to see if they are ready to run again. How are you going to assess any damage caused?

People have been on DAA for much longer periods of time than the initial 12 day and reported "no ill effects" but again, this was based on how they felt.

Just my thoughts on it.

bubsnt3

Awards
  • Established
Don't have any comments on the science side of it.. But I took it for 12 days and had to stop.. Seriously affected my psyche. I will probably take it on my next PCT but only for 7-10 days.. At first the effects were tollerable but it got to be too much..

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Stuff is amazing. Only side effect is the runs for a few days after starting it. I get a huge boost in libido and also strength gains and fat loss.

bigbumpkin

Awards
  • Established
i am on it 4 first tme and freakin lovin it. I am going to add to future pct

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Those that are prone to anxiety or stress tend to experience the negative emotional effects when using DAA.

rickrad

Awards
same here...gave me a really uneasy feeling...just didn't feel right.

specmike

specmike

Awards
  • Established
Those of you that had bad experiences, did you alter the time of day you took it? Space out the doses? Try it with and without food, etc?

mikeshark00

mikeshark00

Awards
What helps your libido? Maybe that's what I need for bb gains lol :friday:
I also noticed testical swelling which was good, but my libido seemed unchanged. recovery from workouts seemed faster. no psyce issues for me.

i was suprised my semen vol. didn't increase, anyone else have simular effect??

bigwhiteguy29

Awards
  • Established
ive heard it can raise prolactin levels, is this true?

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
ive heard it can raise prolactin levels, is this true?
To a point, but the cycle your running would be short - all you'd need to do is run some type of GH product to counteract that.

monstermash

monstermash

Awards
  • Established
Sounds like how I felt on 6-OXO (higher end of the dose range).

I also noticed testical swelling which was good, but my libido seemed unchanged. recovery from workouts seemed faster. no psyce issues for me.

i was suprised my semen vol. didn't increase, anyone else have simular effect??
Used TCF-1 during PCT and got some balls swelling and high libido but no increase in semen vol.

I dosed it first thing in the morning before breakfast and i felt great! Better than a cup of coffee I'd say. :dance:

Bought the SNS bulk caps for my upcoming cycle. We'll see how it compares

antknee02

antknee02

Awards
really didnt get alot out of it..i was ok for about 5 days then my libido tanked as well..

Patrick Arnold

Patrick Arnold

Featured Author
Awards
  • Established
Those that are prone to anxiety or stress tend to experience the negative emotional effects when using DAA.

I am not entirely convinced that is true. Well what i mean is that i am not saying these people dont feel that way but i think it could be that they worry that the stuff might make them feel that way and then its a self fullfiling prophecy (because they read all that scary stuff people post about it)

i am subject to stress and anxiety and i never had any such problem with the stuff. i actually felt better. I know other similar folk with same result

StackedCop

StackedCop

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I am not entirely convinced that is true. Well what i mean is that i am not saying these people dont feel that way but i think it could be that they worry that the stuff might make them feel that way and then its a self fullfiling prophecy (because they read all that scary stuff people post about it)

i am subject to stress and anxiety and i never had any such problem with the stuff. i actually felt better. I know other similar folk with same result
What about the worries on the Nmda receptor?

Patrick Arnold

Patrick Arnold

Featured Author
Awards
  • Established
What about the worries on the Nmda receptor?

I havent seen evidence suggesting that such toxicity will happen with the oral daa. I have seen evidence suggesting it will not, such as a rat study and the aspartame study mentioned earlier in this thread

monstermash

monstermash

Awards
  • Established

FWIW with my line of work and night school I am too and DAA makes me feel nice and alpha, positive mood all day.

DAdams91982

DAdams91982

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Here is the fact, We are dealing with a known excitotoxin. The acute studies that information is being pulled from is a bit ominous in my opinion. We are dosing a known excitotoxin at supra physiological levels with no long term real research. There is a resounding crowd that provides the same response of increased anxiety, mood swings, and depression.

There are things I will try that have known or theoretical side effects because the juice is worth the squeeze. My brain is not one of em.

JJC

Awards
  • Established
Here is the fact, We are dealing with a known excitotoxin. The acute studies that information is being pulled from is a bit ominous in my opinion. We are dosing a known excitotoxin at supra physiological levels with no long term real research. There is a resounding crowd that provides the same response of increased anxiety, mood swings, and depression.

There are things I will try that have known or theoretical side effects because the juice is worth the squeeze. My brain is not one of em.
To piggy back this, we know that it is an NMDA receptor agonist. We know that everyone's body is different. Put those together and we know that everyone will respond differently to this when it acts as a neurotransmitter.

It is USELESS to surmise whose mood will benefit from this positively and whose will not. Your level of stress from your day to day activities is of no consequence when you are introducing an excitotoxin into your brain. At a chemical level, your brain doesn't care what you just did today (when introducing unnatural amounts of chemicals to promote a response).

This isn't to say that I'm against using DAA, just know that you cannot project other people's experiences onto yourself. You have to be comfortable with the fact that you won't know how you will respond.

monstermash

monstermash

Awards
  • Established
To piggy back this, we know that it is an NMDA receptor agonist. We know that everyone's body is different. Put those together and we know that everyone will respond differently to this when it acts as a neurotransmitter.

It is USELESS to surmise whose mood will benefit from this positively and whose will not. Your level of stress from your day to day activities is of no consequence when you are introducing an excitotoxin into your brain. At a chemical level, your brain doesn't care what you just did today (when introducing unnatural amounts of chemicals to promote a response).

This isn't to say that I'm against using DAA, just know that you cannot project other people's experiences onto yourself. You have to be comfortable with the fact that you won't know how you will respond.
:goodpost:

bubsnt3

Awards
  • Established

I never read anything about problems prior to experiencing them.. I actually felt pretty good for a week but then the good turned into bad.. It definately has affects outside of simple test production.. Like the guy above said "it is better than my morning cup of coffee."

I will use it in my next PCT but only for 7-10 days..

HondaV65

HondaV65

Awards
  • Established
No problemos here with this boy and DAA!

Love pump is working awesomely ... and I'm always thinking about my wife! LOL.

No perceived problems with my mental / emotional state either - though I'm not a good subject for that kind of stuff. I have two brain cells and one thinks about sex and the other about lifting ... they're both occupied pretty much all the time! No real "complexity" to my very 2-dimensional tiny brain!

bdcc

bdcc

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

This echoes my thoughts perfectly. With this type of substance I would prefer to consider it guilty until proven innocent.

SeaHawk22

Awards
This echoes my thoughts perfectly. With this type of substance I would prefer to consider it guilty until proven innocent.
My thoughts exactly, I ordered some, but I dont think I am going to use it now.

buck6196

Awards
I did some research before I bought a tub from NP and thought I would give it a run to see if it lived up to the hype.

I got a wierd headache the seemed to be in the center of my brain, it was constant - not overpowering but strong enough to know something was not right. That was from day one.

The DAA is now on the shelf until further notice.

rms80

rms80

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I did some research before I bought a tub from NP and thought I would give it a run to see if it lived up to the hype.

I got a wierd headache the seemed to be in the center of my brain, it was constant - not overpowering but strong enough to know something was not right. That was from day one.

The DAA is now on the shelf until further notice.
Something I posted for our reps- I will put it up here as well:

Couple quick reads on methylation- this is the key to how the Lit-Up formula minimizes any type of potential side effects from D-Aspartic Acid:

http://ceu-usa.com/courses/WC001/test_drive/methylation_cycle.htm
http://hopes.stanford.edu/n3619/drugs-supplements-treatments/disease-mechanisms-and-drugs-target-them/inflammation/folic-acid

This is why some people get depressed or anxious on regular DAA products- DAA activates the NMDA receptor, and NMDA activation, while ok in itself, is not good in excess. When homocysteine begins to build up (it is a by-product in the SAM-e cycle), it can actually cause additional excess activation in the NMDA receptor. This can lead to a lot of the sides you are hearing about from DAA, such as anxiety, depression, and night sweats. However, homocysteine has two routes of disposal- and this is the beauty of the formulation:
1. It can accumulate and be disposed of in the urine
2. It can be transformed (re-methylated) into methionine by folic acid, where it can re-enter the SAM-e cycle and be used again.

As you can see in the articles, Folate, TMG, and B-12, are all substrates that help to increase step 2- and this is why you will see few, if any DAA-related sides from Lit-Up- the product contains agents that re-methylate homocysteine, thus preventing any type of build-up in the tissues and keeping it from overloading the NMDA receptor....

DAdams91982

DAdams91982

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Something I posted for our reps- I will put it up here as well:

Couple quick reads on how the Lit-Up formula minimizes any type of potential side effects from D-Aspartic Acid:

http://ceu-usa.com/courses/WC001/test_drive/methylation_cycle.htm
http://hopes.stanford.edu/n3619/drugs-supplements-treatments/disease-mechanisms-and-drugs-target-them/inflammation/folic-acid
http://www.chronicfatiguetreatments.com/wordpress/treatments/methylation-cycle-block-theory-chronic-fatigue-syndrome/

This is why some people get depressed or anxious on regular DAA products- DAA activates the NMDA receptor, and NMDA activation, while ok in itself, is not good in excess. When homocysteine begins to build up (it is a by-product in the SAM-e cycle), it can actually cause additional excess activation in the NMDA receptor. This can lead to a lot of the sides you are hearing about from DAA, such as anxiety, depression, and night sweats. However, homocysteine has two routes of disposal- and this is the beauty of the formulation:
1. It can accumulate and be disposed of in the urine
2. It can be transformed (re-methylated) into methionine by folic acid, where it can re-enter the SAM-e cycle and be used again.

As you can see in the articles, Folate, TMG, and B-12, are all substrates that help to increase step 2- and this is why you will see few, if any DAA-related sides from Lit-Up- the product contains agents that re-methylate homocysteine, thus preventing any type of build-up in the tissues and keeping it from overloading the NMDA receptor....
How would you tout that your product negates all Myelin damage from the NMDA agonist? Considering that currently neural diseases are already on the rise in the previous generations without contributions from such products as DAA.

rms80

rms80

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
How would you tout that your product negates all Myelin damage from the NMDA agonist? Considering that currently neural diseases are already on the rise in the previous generations without contributions from such products as DAA.
I didn't say that- only that it may help minimize some of the DAA-related sides....

rms80

rms80

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
There are quite a few people taking DAA products, my point is to try to advise them on how to do it in a fashion that may help to minimize some of the sides that some individuals enounter

DAdams91982

DAdams91982

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I didn't say that- only that it may help minimize some of the DAA-related sides....
Ah, sorry.. I misread it as negating instead of minimizing. My fault. :nana:

StackedCop

StackedCop

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
There are quite a few people taking DAA products, my point is to try to advise them on how to do it in a fashion that may help to minimize some of the sides that some individuals enounter
The very small gains don't seem to be worth the possible awful side effects. At least to me.... That's just me tho.

rms80

rms80

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
The very small gains don't seem to be worth the possible awful side effects. At least to me.... That's just me tho.
I think it is like anything else- moderation is the key...along with breaks

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
ive taken it for 30 days straight twice and while I did notice a slight libido boost, something like Sustain Alpha definitely blew it out of the water. plus considering the possible prolactin issues etc its not worth it IMO

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
To add to this discussion on DAA

NOTE: The below copied text is from another thread where the subject of DAA came up and I was given this link (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Excitotoxicity) and that is where I am getting the information (along with a quick google search). NOTE: I am in NO way a research scientist or anything along those lines.. this is just my interpurtation from what I have read. I am not posting this to say I am right or anything as I know I very well may be wrong with my interpetition. I am just adding to the discussion and seeing if someone can help clarify it some more and further elaborate

Okay so I looked over the article very quickly but this is what I am taking away from it so far..

The toxicity is coming from N-Methyl-D-Aspartate..

N-Methyl-D-Aspartate has a pretty great potential to overstimulate the NMDA receptor but it isn't exactly toxic because it is currently present within your body already. The problem seems to be when you have TOO much.. but how much is too much? I dunno :dunno:

What the problem is seems to be the influx of calcium ions that are allowed into the cells which produce enzymes that may damage the cells

Now how is this revelant to DAA?

Well first DAA breaks down n-Methyl-D-Aspartate via NMDA Synthetase. Also to note the test boost isnt directly a result from DAA but from the n-Methyl-D-Aspartate. So in order for DAA to be effective it needs to convert to the n-Methyl-D-Aspartate which is what is considered to be dangerous in high amounts

I think the key words here are high amounts.. The questions I would like to ask supplement companies would be

•First are there any amounts of n-Methyl-D-Aspartate mixed in with your DAA?
•How much n-Methyl-D-Aspartate can be expected to be produced after taking "X" amount of DAA?

I would like to see some studies that would show..
•How much was the calcium influx after taxing "X" amount of DAA?
•How much calcium influx can occur safely without damaging the cells?

So the take away is DAA converts to n-Methyl-D-Aspartate which in turn stimulates the test production but too much n-Methyl-D-Aspartate can be toxic.

Again key word I think is too much because honestly too much of ANYTHING can be toxic. I dont think the focus should be on the fact that DAA is toxic it should be to establish some kind of threshold for it, a level that may be safe. But again EVERYTHING pretty much has the potential to be toxic to the body

This is what I got from it so far but since I have DAA I think ima hold off and do some more research on the subject and see what turns up. I will post up whatever I find as I find it and let me say this is just MY thoughts based off what I read. I am not a scientist and can be totally wrong and someone more versed in the field can probably answer and explain waaaay more better than me. I would email companies and ask for them to provide the studies they are baseing their products performance off of and then go though them studies for yourself.
I dont really feel I am a voice of authority and there are some people who will quickly try and challenge and pick apart something I say for the sake of arguing and I really dont like to be involved in a debate unless I know sufficently enough information to base my opinion and back that opinion up. That is just what I came up with.. dont know if it is correct or not even and I dont really have a strong opinion on pro or anti DAA so definetely wont be able to debate it with someone.

The questions I would like to see answered would be:

•What is the ratio of NMDA to DAA that will be produced. Like if I ingest 3g worth of DAA orally how much NMDA could I expect to be converted from that DAA?

•What is the minimum amount of NMDA needed to stimulate the hypothalamus-pituitary and testis to produce hormones?

•What is the maximum amount of NMDA that can be present safely?

•What is the influx of calcium after x amount of DAA orally?

•And if exercise would effect that calcium ion influx?

Until I see or figure out those answers I may be a little hesitant with DAA also now.

Thanks for bringing this all up guys by the way :thumbsup:
Again I am no expert and have a neutral feeling about DAA. I have taken it before for 2 months and was fine with it (to my knowing at least). If anyone can help clarify anything, add to, correct, or give any input it will be greatly appreaciated.

StackedCop

StackedCop

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Thanks judo, for wording it for us high school educated guys lol

Hawk

Hawk

Awards
  • Established
^

For real. I've been lurking in this thread for a few days........

Then I read the breakdown from JudoJosh earlier and it started to make sense.

These are great questions that I would love to see answered (IMO)