Kicking lifes ass with natural beta blockers?

kingdong

kingdong

Awards
  • Established
If youve ever seen Bigger, Stronger, Faster, you should know what beta blockers can do for people. For those who dont know what they are, they basically reduce nervousness. They don't really have a place in the fitness world, but they can be useful before nervous situations, like performing in front of people, or maby helping you not panic when you see some girl checking you out at the grocery store, and you know you only have 20 seconds to think of something to say.

Are there any natural beta blockers out there?

tnubs

tnubs

Awards
  • Established
subbed, phenibut works well for the ladies, tho.

kingdong

kingdong

Awards
  • Established
subbed, phenibut works well for the ladies, tho.
to bad my research on Phenibut has scared me away:(. From wht Ive read, it doesnt really exist in nature, by the way. Im hopeing someone will prove me wrong.

tnubs

tnubs

Awards
  • Established
Who cares, the stuff is awesome

LJ57

LJ57

Awards
  • Established
Not sure about natural beta blockers, but I have been taking Propranolol for years, and it has been the best anti-anxiety treatment I have used. It succeeded where Xanax and Valium failed. It's no wonder it's banned in some sports like archery and shooting; I can hold my hand completely steady after taking it. By eliminating the physical symptoms of anxiety like hands shaking and sweating, I was able to practically eliminate anxiety. Talking to your doctor about an Rx might be the best option here.

rms80

rms80

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
If youve ever seen Bigger, Stronger, Faster, you should know what beta blockers can do for people. For those who dont know what they are, they basically reduce nervousness. They don't really have a place in the fitness world, but they can be useful before nervous situations, like performing in front of people, or maby helping you not panic when you see some girl checking you out at the grocery store, and you know you only have 20 seconds to think of something to say.

Are there any natural beta blockers out there?
They are better than benzos for calming you down, but unless you have a medical condition (like chronotropic issues with the heart), I would stay away from natural or prescription beta blockers. They have a very profound effect on the fight or flight response, and I guess that is good in some of the aforementioned situations, but not so good in others (like when you have to train). I worked with a lot of cardiac rehab patients in grad school, and when they took a beta blocker (most of the rehab patients were on them), they had a really hard time doing much of anything physical. When you block beta receptors, you block one of the main physiological repsonses to exercise...

That being said- andrographis paniculata has some effects similar to beta blockers, as will salvia miltiorrhizae- I would experiment with the doses, cuz I don't think they are normally used for this purpose. If you are looking for an herbal that will help you relax- try a gram of bacopa monnieri (45% extract)- works great, and will really chill you out without making you drowsy. Don't go overboard, though, too much will make you feel like you are stoned (seriously) :)