Protein During Endurance Events

ccnAbolic

ccnAbolic

Awards
  • Established
So, a friends of mine asked if there's a protein he can drink while endurance training without puking. He is in his 40's now, his diet is good, but feels like it is getting harder to keep the endurance up and is losing muscle. He does Iron Man kind of stuff. He is a life-long endurance athlete so he does know his stuff but thought he would ask me since I do a lot of experimenting. :)

He does the carb gels and all that already but would like to do some experimenting himself. I think part of it is the AminoVital folks were at his last event marketing and it got him thinking about it.

My thoughts were:

1. MAP/PeptoPro

If that doesn't work:

2. LG BCAA+EAA or Purple Wraath - more complete profiles than below
3. RecoverPro or IBCAA - cuz maybe just BCAA is better?
4. Perhaps Modern BCAA

I did advise on beta alanine and citrulline Malate but he has too many things to remember already...Maybe I should push those more. Thoughts?

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I like BCAAs for this sort of stuff. Crowler does Triathalon events too. I'll see if I can pick his brain for you. It's the weekend and Crowler is a big family guy. I might not be able to get back to you til early next week :D

CROWLER

CROWLER

Anabolic Innovations Owner
Awards
  • Established
For sure BCAAs in bulk or any of the BCAA products. Also a HUGE asset would be Poseidon. I lived on the stuff training for and doing half ironman races.

As for protein powder don't use it during training save it for after the training and racing.

wastedwhiteboy2

wastedwhiteboy2

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Some sort of cortisol control. Vitamin C. Those endurance sports can be catabolic. BCAA is a good idea.

ccnAbolic

ccnAbolic

Awards
  • Established
For sure BCAAs in bulk or any of the BCAA products. Also a HUGE asset would be Poseidon. I lived on the stuff training for and doing half ironman races.

As for protein powder don't use it during training save it for after the training and racing.
Thanks to both of you. May pick your brains some more later on this. Three questions:

Is ReoverPro no more? If so, is something replacing it?

Would the BCAA's be ok during race?

Thanks for the tip on poseidon. Looks like it, with BCAA's would be nice.

ccnAbolic

ccnAbolic

Awards
  • Established
Some sort of cortisol control. Vitamin C. Those endurance sports can be catabolic. BCAA is a good idea.
Another good one. Any suggestions? I would imagine he may do that as a second phase or last resort.

wastedwhiteboy2

wastedwhiteboy2

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
1000mgs of Vitamin C helps with cortisol. I like lean extreme also. Might see what others prefer for cortisol.

CROWLER

CROWLER

Awards
  • Established
Thanks to both of you. May pick your brains some more later on this. Three questions:

Is ReoverPro no more? If so, is something replacing it?

Would the BCAA's be ok during race?

Thanks for the tip on poseidon. Looks like it, with BCAA's would be nice.
Best only to use what has been tried at least 2 or 3 times during high stress training. No real need for the BCAAs during the race unless he trains with it and is 100% positive it will be fine during the race. RecoverPRO is no more.

Racing long dist like this is about racing on your stomach. If you have not done the workouts you can still gut it out endurance wise, muscle wise etc.

But even if you are in PERFECT shape endurance wise and muscle wise if you have not practiced your nutrition you can end up DNFing or at least on the side of the race course heaving your guts up.

Please give your friend advice from people who have actually trained for and competed in the long distance tris. Supplementation is completely diff for this sort of activity and many things which are useful for everyday working out is counterproductive/useless for this type of training/racing.

ccnAbolic

ccnAbolic

Awards
  • Established
Please give your friend advice from people who have actually trained for and competed in the long distance tris. Supplementation is completely diff for this sort of activity and many things which are useful for everyday working out is counterproductive/useless for this type of training/racing.
I appreciate it. He has been doing this awhile and trains with pro-level guys. He is also a personal-coach and entrepeneureal type and likes to think outside of his box. He is very much in touch with his limitations and dietary needs. Just looking for an arrow in the quiver. As it turns out, he already uses the Aminos from AminoVital but thought maybe there was a super-fast protein that could do better. He also takes Vitamin C.

More or less, he said he is doing what he is supposed to do but was interested in what bodybuilders do to tackle similar issues he is having. Also, much like the bodybuilding world, there's a lot of broscience that goes on in that scene as well. Just go into your local running store and you'll see a bunch of expensive supps with crappy ingredients...

Don't worry, I will not be advising him to take 10 grams of creatine and 10 grams of GMS before the race :biglaugh: and he will research before trying anything. Just how he rolls. Thanks for everything.

CROWLER

CROWLER

Awards
  • Established
Sounds good!

I would recommend again he try the Poseidon for me it was a game changer in my training and recovery.

poison

poison

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
You're asking the wrong forum, crowler's the only one with experience. There are drinks specifically for this kind of thing, like cytomax, or hammer nutrition stuff.

sharperunner

Awards
I used BCAA's and Citrulline Malate while training for multiple marathons last year. I preferred xtendmainly for taste and mixability) with a little extra C.M mixed in gatorade for any runs over an hour long. My long runs maxed out a little over 20 miles, so for these, I usually stuck with around 3 to 4 scoops of BCAA's with around 40 oz of gatorade.

My goal was to keep muscle mass while averaging 40 to 50 miles a week. Personally, I think the BCAA's did a pretty good job.

onlyone

Awards
I do Gatorade+BCAA+CM+BA for my "do or die" workouts. Feels like I have more power&strenght and endurance when I sip it during or before.