Dextrose?

tbarrows

tbarrows

Awards
  • Established
What's up AM fam!

I was reading over Layne Norton's Ultimate Cutting Diet and he suggests that you 'consume a shake composed of 30-40g of whey protein along with dextrose or maltodextrin during their workout'.

I can't seem to find a date on this article so I can't tell how dated it is. The only reason I suspect it being dated is because on other forums when I search dextrose related threads pretty much everything is from 2003 and before.

What's the deal with dextrose? Do people still use this? It's so cheap at nutraplanet that I was figuring on picking up some to give it a try but wanted to see what you guys had to say about it first.

Link to article for those who haven't read it: http://w w w.simplyshredded.com/layne-norton-the-most-effective-cutting-diet.html

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
What's the deal with dextrose? Do people still use this? It's so cheap at nutraplanet that I was figuring on picking up some to give it a try but wanted to see what you guys had to say about it first.
Dextrose is pretty much straight sugar, so it is going to go straight to your bloodstream. I don't know about here, but I know plenty of people still use this.

~Rosie~
The Primordial Woman

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
Dextrose is pretty inexpensive but there is another alternative to consider, it's Halloween! Pick up some bags of Smarties (American version) Each little roll is 5g of dextrose and a huge bag is very cost effective...especially if you wait until November first for all that Halloween candy to go on clearance.

Nothing better than being that big or strong guy in the gym and people seeing you eating candy between sets. :lol:

krebz

Awards
I use Dextrose(instead of maltodextrin) with whey.
I´m not sure if it does some big difference (dextrose x malto), but from what i have read, dextrose should go faster to blood (faster insulin spike).

If i am wrong, please tell me.

morry

morry

Awards
  • Established
I wish I kept a log of all the articles I've read so I could link them, but I don't so I'll just put what I remember.

I used to take gatorade and was talked out of it for a few reasons. It is dextrose but it causes bloating. Not a big deal, but my gains are just as good with a moderate carb/protein mix rather than a radical 3:1 (I'm just not that big). The 3:1 may be why I was bloating, but at 8.50 a tub, there are a lot of other sources of cheaper dextrose.

Maltodextrin metabolizes slower than dextrose and keeps insulin levels steady after the initial spike. This is why it is a sought after 50/50 mix. One gets the insulin up there, the other keeps it steady so protein can be shuttled into the cells longer (along with many other nutrients). Additionally, because these compounds signal an actual insulin response and doesn't "mimic" insulin, you get a biphasic result. Insulin is secreted and spikes levels initially, but then (this only happen with compounds that cause a REAL insulin response rather than just mimic them), the pancreas begins to sythesize more insulin and a second rush (albeit it less, but existent) happens shortly after the first. The ZERO Carb post workout drink that promises to spike insulin, is not off base entirely, they just omit that you are missing the second phase. Any insulin mimicing compound will only produce a single phase insulin response effectively limiting your anabolic time post workout.

You can lower the ratio to 1:1 (for example, 5 grams BCAA's, 25 grams whey, 15 grams dextrose, 15 grams maltodextrin) and still make great gains if you add BCAA's (L-Leucine, L-Isoleucine and L-Valine [2:1:1] ) appropriately.
Crystal light has malto in it and is pretty cheap. It also adds a lot of flavor and will help cover up the bitterness of BCAA (although tossing the powder in your mouth and swallowing with water will result in greater absorption).

This is my take on dextrose. Overall good, but with thier is a bit more to it.....

Hope this helps....

tbarrows

tbarrows

Awards
  • Established
is a sugar like dextrose something that we really want intra workout? If so, what would the proper dose be?

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
is a sugar like dextrose something that we really want intra workout? If so, what would the proper dose be?
You can if you like - it all depends on your preference, the type of training session you are doing, and how long you are training for.

Harry Manback

Harry Manback

Awards
  • Established
70g WPI, 40g Dextrose post-workout. I'm soon going to add 1/2 cup oats to the mix as well.

elgenyo

elgenyo

Awards
  • Established
for me its...

Orange gatorade powder with creatine mono

15 min drive home

then 2 scoops of nutrapro

30min-1hr later dinner