Supps for Triathlon Training

p5sky

p5sky

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I have been wt training for about 7 yrs now and have built up a nice muscle base. I am 5-7 about 170lbs and lean. I am going to compete in a triathlon in a couple of months and I want to retain as much muscle as possible during training, but I know I will lose some muscle.

recommend any supps that would help in:
-maintaining muscle mass
-endurance training

Thanks

zwa004

zwa004

Awards
I've been lifting and supplementing for at least 7 years too. I'm 5-11, 185lbs. Just did my first triathlon ever. Took standard pre-workout (ASGT, Jacked sometimes combined), EFA's, NutraPro (2 shakes a day), and Xtend (sip 2 servings in the morning, drink during and post-workout), and finished my AnabolicPump/Waxy Maize cycle about 3 weeks into tri training. Supps I wish I did: cordyceps for optimum O2 usage and creatine mono for max power output. Also trained about 2x a day 6 days on 1 off combining swimming, spin, running, or lifting (10-20 reps).

I also ate plenty of carbs including oatmeal, whole wheat sandwiches, etc. I hardly lost any muscle or strength, got rid of about 5lbs body fat. Hope this helps

Side note: look into getting Vibram barefoot shoes for your run, your legs and feet will thank you.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
adding Drive would be a nice choice as well, it also has cordyceps in it, as well as the forslean and other ingredients to help with muscle retention

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I have been wt training for about 7 yrs now and have built up a nice muscle base. I am 5-7 about 170lbs and lean. I am going to compete in a triathlon in a couple of months and I want to retain as much muscle as possible during training, but I know I will lose some muscle.

recommend any supps that would help in:
-maintaining muscle mass
-endurance training

Thanks
Drive's key features and effects are improving endurance - I can personally attest to this. It will also help in maintaining your muscle mass - but bear in mind that your NUTRITION is going to play the key role in that (and if it's right, you shouldn't lose any muscle at all, honestly), since you definitely need to be eating enough for energy and to cover your energy requirements, and if you're going to be doing a long triathlon and doing hours and hours of training, then you'll be eating close to (if not more) than ~10,000 calories a day (that was what I was eating on average daily when I was cycling)!

You may also want to look into using Cre-02, as if you're resistance training, creatine is essential, and Cre-02 also has some endurance boosting effects.

BCAAs will be good for consumption during training - as opposed to just drinking water - and in aiding in recovery post-training.

~Team APPNUT

p5sky

p5sky

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Drive's key features and effects are improving endurance - I can personally attest to this. It will also help in maintaining your muscle mass - but bear in mind that your NUTRITION is going to play the key role in that (and if it's right, you shouldn't lose any muscle at all, honestly), since you definitely need to be eating enough for energy and to cover your energy requirements, and if you're going to be doing a long triathlon and doing hours and hours of training, then you'll be eating close to (if not more) than ~10,000 calories a day (that was what I was eating on average daily when I was cycling)!

You may also want to look into using Cre-02, as if you're resistance training, creatine is essential, and Cre-02 also has some endurance boosting effects.

BCAAs will be good for consumption during training - as opposed to just drinking water - and in aiding in recovery post-training.

~Team APPNUT
Thanks Rosie. I have used Drive but not in a while. I am def looking at my nutrition so that I can retain my muscle mass. It is a tri sprint so nothing extremely demanding, but I do not usually do that much cardio training outside of my soccer training and coaching ( I am not a spectator coach, I am very involved with fitness and technique training along with the players). I probably wont need 10k cal but I will def increase.

I have not used CRE02 and have heard good things, this may be my new creatine once I finish Neovar.

MrDeadlift

Awards
Cytomax from Cytosport has been very popular, as well as Endurox R4. Instead of pre-workout supplements and stimulants, I know many that use Post Workout supplements for before and after training due to the carb/protein/BCAA ratio. The goal is to get energy from Carbs/nutrients and not from stimulants ..etc. Adding Creatine would help as well in endurance.

Good luck.

stopstalking

stopstalking

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
If I was in your shoes I think my supss would be like this

Cre02
Xtend
Pp's beta alanine
A good carb supp
And even no I haven't ran it I would throw in drive

Of course butrition is key but I'm sure you already know this so I'm not gonna even go there

islandmagic

islandmagic

Awards
  • Established
CordYgen 5.. for training

If you want you can take this for you race Cordygen VO2 ULTRA...

Also drink some PRe-max or Assault or mix them togather!

I Have run 5k races using these products. ( boston)

ekdevil

Awards
1.creatine and protein for maintaning mass
2.caffeine for endurance

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
You might want to PM Crowler from AI, if I recall he does Ironman competitions.

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
^^^Stole my thunder! I was going to say the same thing.

I've talked to him about this in the past and said that Nimbus Poseidon was great!

crazyfool405

crazyfool405

Banned
Awards
  • Established
You might want to PM Crowler from AI, if I recall he does Ironman competitions.
yea he does.

he would be a great person to ask.

Caffenine helps with glycogen resynthesis. not sure id wanna take it though before doing anything like that.

Cordyceps and PLCAR are great.

JN230

JN230

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
staples for you buddy are creatine beta alanine, ibcaa or peptopro(maximum absorbed protein) citrulline malate, and a good energy source, maybe oxy elite pro or maximize v2 is my fav

emiliozapata

emiliozapata

Awards
  • Established
i know this won't go over well since this forum is basically a big advertisement for the companies who participate, but besides the many great options given, look into Hammer Nutrition's products if endurance is your game.

p5sky

p5sky

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
i know this won't go over well since this forum is basically a big advertisement for the companies who participate, but besides the many great options given, look into Hammer Nutrition's products if endurance is your game.
Thanks, good looking products for endurance athletes. I will be looking at a couple of products to add to the staples.

scherbs

scherbs

Awards
  • Established
Hammer is definitely the way to go for race/training fueling. Their gels provide a quick boost for shorter events and their Perpetuem is a must for longer ones (olympic distance and beyond).
As far as supplements, I second cit. mal, BA, creatine, and BCAA's (pre. during and post).

p5sky

p5sky

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Hammer is definitely the way to go for race/training fueling. Their gels provide a quick boost for shorter events and their Perpetuem is a must for longer ones (olympic distance and beyond).
As far as supplements, I second cit. mal, BA, creatine, and BCAA's (pre. during and post).
Yeah, I am looking at Recoverite, Endurolytes, and Heed. Also thinking of using LG Postal as a pre-workout with the carbs, creatine, BA, protein.

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
Aminos!!!!
BCAA, EAA, Beta Alanine

I would be loading up on those

p5sky

p5sky

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Some good suggestions coming in all the time . . . Thanks!!!

Any recommendations on training styles? I started DC training about 3 weeks ago and Im noticing some results quickly. But this was before I decided to do the triathlon. Should I do hi-rep range, 12-15 for more endurance?

emiliozapata

emiliozapata

Awards
  • Established
I like to do some muscle confusion type of stuff, if you are doing some of your swimming at a pool, work some 100's and then do wall dips and pushups to near failure (you'll find "failure" more as cardio limited rather than muscularly) and then jump back in for a 100 , repeat until you basically can't swim the 100, it's a gut check but really gets the blood pumping.

One more thing, the single greatest endurance boost I have ever experienced is from consuming at least 1/2 of a raw red beet per day. I blend it into my shakes , even throwing the greens in with it, actually a noticeable difference after 3-4 days of this.

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Some good suggestions coming in all the time . . . Thanks!!!

Any recommendations on training styles? I started DC training about 3 weeks ago and Im noticing some results quickly. But this was before I decided to do the triathlon. Should I do hi-rep range, 12-15 for more endurance?
If you want to be good at the triathlon, then the bulk of your training should be endurance work - SWIMMING, CYCLING, RUNNING - because that's the way to get the base/endurance for it. Weights should go through the same phases re base/strength, load/specific strength, strength endurance/speed, low-speed, high-speed/anaerobic threshold, sprints/power/speed as your cardio-specific training. Maybe lifting only 1-2 times a week, 3 times tops in the earlier phases.

I highly recommend reading Jon Ackland's The Power to Perform - it has triathlon specific training programmes, from a sprint/Olympic to Ironman re distance.

~Team APPNUT

poison

poison

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Side note: look into getting Vibram barefoot shoes for your run, your legs and feet will thank you.

No, they'll hate you. :D THe rest of your body will thank you, but not your feet or calves.

I am training for a sprint triathlon and I plan on incorporating this:

http://www.nutraplanet.com/product/millennium-sport-technologies/ultra-cordygen-v02-120-v02-caps.html

I hear great things.
Great stuff, but I honestly prefer Cordygen5. It's the ****.

~Team APPNUT
Agreed.

One more thing, the single greatest endurance boost I have ever experienced is from consuming at least 1/2 of a raw red beet per day. I blend it into my shakes , even throwing the greens in with it, actually a noticeable difference after 3-4 days of this.
WTF? Puke. But hey, tell me more. Sounds like I need to go on a ginger/onion juice/white button mushroon/beet diet.

jrmuscle11

jrmuscle11

Awards
for endurance i would say take a plasma enhancer for oxygen supply to the muscles and lungs go with plasmatic ep its nice

jrmuscle11

jrmuscle11

Awards
and of course lots of aminos man you need lots of them for recovery

p5sky

p5sky

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
If you want to be good at the triathlon, then the bulk of your training should be endurance work - SWIMMING, CYCLING, RUNNING - because that's the way to get the base/endurance for it. Weights should go through the same phases re base/strength, load/specific strength, strength endurance/speed, low-speed, high-speed/anaerobic threshold, sprints/power/speed as your cardio-specific training. Maybe lifting only 1-2 times a week, 3 times tops in the earlier phases.

I highly recommend reading Jon Ackland's The Power to Perform - it has triathlon specific training programmes, from a sprint/Olympic to Ironman re distance.

~Team APPNUT
Thanks Rosie! I am competing in my first sprint triathlon so I do want to be prepared and finish respectably. I am not trying to win or place, this is purely recreational comp just attaining a goal and challenge.

I was slim throughout my first 35 yrs of life, 5-7 and 135lbs. I played soccer in hs and college, ran x-country in school but I have never been muscular. Now that I have put on a solid base I DO NOT want to drop back down in size. My buddies that do tri regularly are built like I used to be.

I am focusing on endurance work for the tri sports, but I do want to continue to wt train. I was looking at designing a sched just as you have mentioned. I do wt training 3x/week, over the next few weeks I will cut that to 2x.

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Thanks Rosie! I am competing in my first sprint triathlon so I do want to be prepared and finish respectably. I am not trying to win or place, this is purely recreational comp just attaining a goal and challenge.

I was slim throughout my first 35 yrs of life, 5-7 and 135lbs. I played soccer in hs and college, ran x-country in school but I have never been muscular. Now that I have put on a solid base I DO NOT want to drop back down in size. My buddies that do tri regularly are built like I used to be.

I am focusing on endurance work for the tri sports, but I do want to continue to wt train. I was looking at designing a sched just as you have mentioned. I do wt training 3x/week, over the next few weeks I will cut that to 2x.
No worries :)

As a former endurance AND power athlete, I understand the importance of achieving that balance. For the shorter triathlons, the extra muscle mass should be useful for you. And even though triathletes and other such endurance athletes have muscles and are often ripped to shreds, their muscular mass is not really very high, and what they DO have is very well conditioned.

Just make sure that you get your resistance training in line with your specific training - and if it's just this one triathlon, then 16 weeks of training specifically for it is not going to do you any harm. Just remember to EAT for the energy expenditure being done.

~Team APPNUT

p5sky

p5sky

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
p5sky

p5sky

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Renegade Rows!!!! Your pm's are full . . . hit me up!

p5sky

p5sky

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
So far so good. I have increased tri training yet I have maintained weight while def slimming down. Ive got bulk creatine, beta alanine, citr mal, Xtend, add that to Drive and increased calories.

I'm also gonna pick up some Heed and Endurolytes when I go to the bike shop tomorrow.

I did find a Creatine/ATP/Ribose blend, wondering about trying this out.