Too Much Creatine?

MadeInCanada

Awards
Is too much Creatine bad for your liver or kidneys? And should it be cycled to avoid any problems?

Also... I just purchased Xpand Xtreme Pump which has 5g of different types of Creatine. Would it be beneficial to run a serving of this pre-workout. And then to intake 5-10g of Creatine Mono postworkout?

Thanks guys :)

UNCnate

UNCnate

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Is too much Creatine bad for your liver or kidneys? And should it be cycled to avoid any problems?

Also... I just purchased Xpand Xtreme Pump which has 5g of different types of Creatine. Would it be beneficial to run a serving of this pre-workout. And then to intake 5-10g of Creatine Mono postworkout?

Thanks guys :)
Stick to 3-5 grams daily. Anything over that is wasted.

Cycling isnt really necessary, but I generally recommend to people that after they have used 3-5 grams for 30 consecutive days, that they can switch to dosing 4-5 days a week (generally workout days) to maintain saturation.

HawaiianPride

HawaiianPride

Awards
Stick to 3-5 grams daily. Anything over that is wasted.

Cycling isnt really necessary, but I generally recommend to people that after they have used 3-5 grams for 30 consecutive days, that they can switch to dosing 4-5 days a week (generally workout days) to maintain saturation.
I prefer 5g pre and post. Works best for me. Can you site studies on why 3grams of creatine per day while keeping hydrated is a waste?

UNCnate

UNCnate

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I prefer 5g pre and post. Works best for me. Can you site studies on why 3grams of creatine per day while keeping hydrated is a waste?
Hydration isnt the problem,its the creatine transporter that is key.

You can only transport so much creatine, so anything over what your transporters can carry isnt going to be used.

Clearly this is dependent on how much transporter you have, etc.

Also, its possible that daily creatine supplementation could result in downregulation of the creatine transporter.

Ill play devils advocate and ask if you can find a study proving that 10 grams daily is better than 3-5 grams on workout days [after you reach saturation, which takes about 28 days of consecutive dosing].

HawaiianPride

HawaiianPride

Awards
Personally, I've done 5grams per day and noticed no increased workout put, muscular power, better recovery and muscle hydration. So then I decided to double the dosages and it worked great. But to each his own one's body chemistry may react differently to anothers.

Psychabinol

Awards
  • Established
yeah its depends on your body weight and several factors

like if your taking your creatine after workout, more will be absorbed because your body is hunting for nutrients.

Also if you combine creatine with lots of good carbs and protein, it it will increase uptake of the creatine.(even more if you take some insulin mimickers)

I have also read studies that creatin plus why plus glucose, beat creatine alone.

So theres several factors to consider.

ax1

ax1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
maybe you were using a lower quality creatine,

have you tried "Creapure?"

UNCnate

UNCnate

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Personally, I've done 5grams per day and noticed no increased workout put, muscular power, better recovery and muscle hydration. So then I decided to double the dosages and it worked great. But to each his own one's body chemistry may react differently to anothers.
maybe you were using a lower quality creatine,

have you tried "Creapure?"
This is my guess.

5-10 grams will be fine.
Fine yes. Necessary no.

HawaiianPride

HawaiianPride

Awards
This is my guess.

Fine yes. Necessary no.
It clearly states on most creatine products that if your over 200lbs take 2 servings (10g's) PD in addition to increasing fluid intake. Under 200lbs 1 serving (5g's) would suffice.

Show me studies on why it's not necessary to even go above 3grams of creatine PD, even for a man above 200lbs.

marco wolf

marco wolf

Awards
  • Established
You can reach saturation levels in about 5 days if you take 20-30 grams a day. It takes about a month to reach saturation levels at 3-5 grams a day.

HawaiianPride

HawaiianPride

Awards
Interesting. I've been following my methods for over 5 years and have had great results. I'll just stick with what I have and leave it at that.

ax1

ax1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Interesting. I've been following my methods for over 5 years and have had great results. I'll just stick with what I have and leave it at that.
what kind of creatine do you use?

HawaiianPride

HawaiianPride

Awards
Honestly dude I can't name all of them. But by far my favorite was On's without a doubt.

UNCnate

UNCnate

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
It clearly states on most creatine products that if your over 200lbs take 2 servings (10g's) PD in addition to increasing fluid intake. Under 200lbs 1 serving (5g's) would suffice.

Show me studies on why it's not necessary to even go above 3grams of creatine PD, even for a man above 200lbs.
And supplement companies wouldnt advise that you take more than what you need, so that you buy more, so that they turn a profit. Doesnt sound like things that happen all the time. :)

UNCnate

UNCnate

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/anssi1.htm - with references.

After the loading phase, creatine can be taken once daily at a dosage of 0.029 g/kg bodyweight to maintain muscle levels. This regimen should cause rapid increases in muscle creatine without overuse of the supplement.

Average size man = 200 lbs = roughly 90 kg. 90 x 0.029 = roughly 2.7 grams

:)

HawaiianPride

HawaiianPride

Awards
Thanks for the extensive research there, but like I said; 5-10g's works great for me so why bother change what I've been doing for years. If it ain't broken then don't fix.

Blutarski

Blutarski

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Would it make sense that individuals that are getting smaller amounts of protein daily (say .5g of lbw or less) would benefit more from higher creatine supplementation? I've noticed when my work schedule or travel makes it impossible for me to eat much protein that creatine intake really seems to help with workouts, more so than when I'm eating a more traditional diet higher in protein. Anyone else have this experience?

UNCnate

UNCnate

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Thanks for the extensive research there, but like I said; 5-10g's works great for me so why bother change what I've been doing for years. If it ain't broken then don't fix.
Did you ever try a lower dose, or did you start at that dose?

Reason I ask is because of CreaT downregulation.

HawaiianPride

HawaiianPride

Awards
Started at 5grams per day for a year. 2.5 pre and post. Then tapered up after that.

HawaiianPride

HawaiianPride

Awards
Started becoming a non-responder, so yes to your question. Upped the dosage and results became apparent again.

wedlund6

Awards
  • Established
i get better results at 10g a day. at 5g i do not get much fullness from it. i go between 250 and 270 ibs and i only eat red meat 2 to 3 times a week. for me there is a big diference between 5 and 10 g a day.(5 in the morning 5 post)