Awards
  • Established
27 year old male
300 pounds
6'
low testosterone
had long list of labs done you can see them here:

http://anabolicminds.com/forum/male-anti-aging/135929-results.html

I had two consecutive readings of 140/90 followed by a reading of 120/80 and then another which was 146/90 (or something close to that). The doctor said we will check in a month and a half. I really don't want to go on bp meds here is my plan:

-30 minutes cardio 5 days a week (before I did 3 times a week and lifted 3 times a week)

-fish oil cap after every meal (used to take one cap a day)

-1/2 cup oatmeal breakfast everyday

-supplement with metamucil

-10,000ius a day vitamin d (tested low normal and have sedentary job)

-celery seed extract (Not sure yet on dose. Suggestions?)

-Hawthorne berry extract maybe. Thoughts?

-Lose at least 8 pounds in a month and a half (fell off of diet, gonna get back on)

-Cut out red meat (it has been about a week already)

-I would say lower sodium, but I think it is not that much of an issue if you see my blood work it is within range

Also gonna buy a bp monitor for at home. I think I may have white coat hypertension, but I don't know. We'll see.

I am going to keep a journal type thing to show doc bp levels. Suggestions on when to take readings?

bludevil

bludevil

Awards
  • Established
I had bp issues in the past. I went on the dash diet for a few months (basically a clean diet with more fruits and veggies), and lost a few lbs. After this my bp dropped to normal readings. The main thing, is just dropping the lbs. Cardio will help as well, but diet is key.

youngandfree

Awards
  • Established
If you drop at least 50 lbs your BP will come down.

tnubs

tnubs

Awards
  • Established
i would agree, drop some weight and lower sodium. hawthorne berry is good for a lot of people. 2 grams a day is a good number but it does take two weeks to kick in. on the bright side. its only $3.50 a bottle at nutraplanet. celery seed extract is also a strong herb for BP at 150mg/day. anything u take i would break up into a morning and night time dose.

droyal

Awards
i would agree, drop some weight and lower sodium. hawthorne berry is good for a lot of people. 2 grams a day is a good number but it does take two weeks to kick in. on the bright side. its only $3.50 a bottle at nutraplanet. celery seed extract is also a strong herb for BP at 150mg/day. anything u take i would break up into a morning and night time dose.
I agree with Tnubs, Hawthorne Berry is the bomb, and I use to have very bad high blood pressure (174/90,) i've been on hawthorn berry for six months, and my blood pressure has been between 117/80 or 124/83, so not bad in my opinion

tnubs

tnubs

Awards
  • Established
I agree with Tnubs, Hawthorne Berry is the bomb, and I use to have very bad high blood pressure (174/90,) i've been on hawthorn berry for six months, and my blood pressure has been between 117/80 or 124/83, so not bad in my opinion
wow, thats super high. mine is in the 130-140's naturally but i can usually cut it to the lower 120's with just a gram of hawthorne.

scoooter

scoooter

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
celery seed extract, Natural Factors, has high 3nB, at 75mg ea so one in am one in pm gives the recommended 150mg/day.

JoHNnyNuTZ

JoHNnyNuTZ

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I agree with the weight loss. I was 320 about 2 years ago, my bp was something like 180/120. Doc thought I might stroke out. Anywho. went on a diet(though not too extreme)I ended up losing almost 100 pounds in like a year and a half and no longer need bp meds.

jon671

jon671

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for the replies guys. Yeah the weight is the main issue. I plan on losing at least eight pounds before next visit in about a month.

I am going to start monitoring my blood pressure and keeping track to make sure it isn't caused by health anxiety I have. I think it gets worse when i go to the doc. Any suggestions on when I should check bp? I was thinking morning, before cardio, after cardio and before bed. Suggestions?

Weight is the main culprit right? My sodium is within range, however I am making an effort to lower it. No red meat. I don't want to have to take bp meds.

A_I_Sports_Nutrition

A_I_Sports_Nutrition

AI Sports Nutrition
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Thanks for the replies guys. Yeah the weight is the main issue. I plan on losing at least eight pounds before next visit in about a month.

I am going to start monitoring my blood pressure and keeping track to make sure it isn't caused by health anxiety I have. I think it gets worse when i go to the doc. Any suggestions on when I should check bp? I was thinking morning, before cardio, after cardio and before bed. Suggestions?

Weight is the main culprit right? My sodium is within range, however I am making an effort to lower it. No red meat. I don't want to have to take bp meds.
Take it slow bro. Do not starve yourself. Some cardio and eating clean will help a lot.:)

tnubs

tnubs

Awards
  • Established
"I had two consecutive readings of 140/90 followed by a reading of 120/80 and then another which was 146/90 (or something close to that)."

when were these numbers taken? like how far apart?

i think the best course of action is to start with some hawthorn and celery seed while u try to lose weight. i would honestly just keep trying to lose weight till you get around 20% bf. that should be in the average range. after you've lost a significant amount you can drop the celery seed to save money and then stay with hawthorn and cut back from there until you are comfortable with your BP.

personally, from what ive figured out, the best way to shed some fat is to jog a mile every morning when i wake up on an empty stomach. as well to cut carbs at 6pm so when i hit the sack, i only have protein and fats in my system. good luck, man

scoooter

scoooter

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Blood pressure is a difficult read from a single measurement. There are many "other" factors which can contribute to a measurement. During a visit to the doctors office some people get nervous, this can increase the reading. A stressful day at work or bumper to bumper traffic for hours can also effect the reading. I would suggest having it taken at the same time of day during a non stressful time (upon waking in am or before sleep in pm). Understand that BP will fluctuate during the day. The average of multiple measurements is going to tell the whole story.

youngandfree

Awards
  • Established
Also I would up your goal of how much weight to lose in a month. At 300lbs, you could get away with 15-20lbs a month. You have to remember your health is more important than keeping a few extra pounds of muscle. Get down to 200-220 and then put back on some lean muscle much easier. Get some cardio going. Don't starve yourself but be disciplined. You should be able to drop 40 in 2-3 months before you start to hit a wall. Just get some proper eating habits down and a consistent workout regimen and you will be good to go.

matthias7

matthias7

Awards
  • Established
Resting heart rate of 90?

Avoid fat-burners 'cause they could cause a jump in bp. Look at cholesterol as well, oats are a good way to reduce this. It was rumoured that milk thistle did this too... not sure.

I'd do a full blood check - partic. to watch for cholesterol.

Ask for propanolol if things get worse.

Low test.. switch to mono-fats try Divanil based test-boosters, DTHC ... hmm..... what you need is a strong appetite suppressant but like ... can't do it here. ... no you can't do it 'cause however you try and 'get in there' you risk triggering a norephinephrine response.

Anyway I'd look at a complete health approach. Look at how some of the guys here use diet to build muscle and look at the diet they use. You'll also find this gives you the drive to do high intensity cardio.

Good luck.

matthias7

matthias7

Awards
  • Established
Oh... ask for an ECG, might be something more to the inconsistent values.

Its just a thought.

Grambo

Grambo

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Is your vitamin D prescribed? Your doctor say to use 10,000? That is really high...... Recommendations for leaders or guys in the know are 2,000-4,000ius a day.

It won't kill you to do that high short term and is usually what physicians do to get numbers up quick. For fun fact it takes a few months of IV vitamin D at 100,000 before it becomes really dangerous.

Agreed with all the above. Losing weight and excerising consistently will do more than anything with some supps mentioned giving extra kick.

Grambo

Grambo

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Also if you eat lean red meat is not a health concern. Don't get sucked into what is said about it. Once or twice a week of lean beef is ok IMO.

Lastly sodium in blood work (prob done fasting) is not an indicator of salt in your diet unless extremely high. Increasing potassium via DASH diet which emphasizes vegetables and fruits is top notch.

poison

poison

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Green tea, add in 400mg egcg twice a day.

jon671

jon671

Awards
  • Established
Oh... ask for an ECG, might be something more to the inconsistent values.

Its just a thought.
I suffer from anxiety and I have been to the er twice. Both times checked bp, heart rate, ecg and had chest xrays all ok. I also had a long list of labs done like I said in my first post you can check them out if you want. I pushed the heart thing with doctors, but after so many tests it seems to be mostly anxiety. I think the changes I am making should be sufficient. Two years ago I had labs run and everything was fine minus low normal test. Cholesterol is up and so is bp. I don't think I trust the readings 100%. I am going to buy a home monitor and keep track of blood pressure.

jon671

jon671

Awards
  • Established
Also if you eat lean red meat is not a health concern. Don't get sucked into what is said about it. Once or twice a week of lean beef is ok IMO.

Lastly sodium in blood work (prob done fasting) is not an indicator of salt in your diet unless extremely high. Increasing potassium via DASH diet which emphasizes vegetables and fruits is top notch.
True it was

Sodium..................139 134-145

and that was fasting. Maybe could stand to lower a little, but I know it's the weight. Well I started dieting again yesterday and I try to stay away from fruits, because of the sugar. I eat broccoli like a mofo though.