Runner Needs Direction

oakmont

Awards
Friends,

I am a 37, 5'10', 185lb runner who wants to decrease his body fat and improve strength without increasing body weight. I ultimately want to lose 20-25 pounds to improve my 10k times. I need something to give me a kick in the ass.

At 37 I am interested in whether a pro-hormone like Halo Test 25 or Epistane would help me and if so what would be a recommend cycle with PCT.

oakmont

Clickster

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Friends,

I am a 37, 5'10', 185lb runner who wants to decrease his body fat and improve strength without increasing body weight. I ultimately want to lose 20-25 pounds to improve my 10k times. I need something to give me a kick in the ass.

At 37 I am interested in whether a pro-hormone like Halo Test 25 or Epistane would help me and if so what would be a recommend cycle with PCT.

oakmont
I am not going to recommend a PH due to my feelings on them.

I will say a good preworkout product like Axis Labs SMASH Fully Loaded stacked with a good Test booster like Axis Labs HyperTEST would do you well.

Adding in something for cortisol control may also be beneficial.

ktatro1

ktatro1

Awards
  • Established
Friends,

oakmont
Both Halo and Epi definitely have the ability to increase strength....whether or not you loose weight is dictated by your diet/excercise regimine. Do you do strength training as well or just stick to cardio for your workouts? Losing 20-25 lbs while retaining muscle mass would ultimately be pretty difficult at your weight. Don't know that I would recommend a PH though.

I would probably say start with ECA and maybe a good test booster (arimatest was great for me at improving strength and leaning out). The synergy (for your purposes) would seem great. Ephedrine is a bronchiodialator and has the ability to spare muscle mass while "burning fat". Increasing natural test levels could increase strength, mobilize fat, and increase your red blood cell count, ultimitaley making endurance cardio more efficient and tolerable.

scherbs

scherbs

Awards
  • Established
I second the opinions above. If you are having trouble losing weight as you desire while running, I would suggest that you add in (more) strength training. The fastest way to both lose fat and improve running performance is to gain muscle mass.
As to Halo and Epi, they certainly will help gain strength and could help you lose weight if the rest of the picture were in place (diet and training). However, I would caution that both can lead to some pretty nasty back and calf pumps that can be damn near debilitating while running.
I suggest that you stick to a good test booster and perhaps a fat burner if you desire. I have no recommendations on the latter (sorry, but burning fat is not an issue for me), but for the test booster, you might wish to look into AppNut's Drive. Drive does a good job of giving you a boost in the weightroom while aiding your endurance in cardio activities.

Army Guy

Army Guy

Awards
  • Established
Scherbs gives a good point. However, it is difficult for any of us to throw you much advise without knowing what your running, lifting, and diet are. If running is your main concern, are you doing intervals? Hills? weekend long runs? For bettering your 10k, you should be trying to hit at least 6-8 good miles on our long run. Throw us a few more details so we can help you out, and then we can help you build the supps to better meet the need.

oakmont

Awards
Army Guy and others,

Thanks for the replies. My current regimen is strictly running with interval training, tempo runs, and a long run (usually 7 miles) weekly. I'm currently not lifting, but will begin now. I have been apprehensive to lift because I did not want to gain weight or bulk. As for dieting I simply try to watch what I eat and keep my caloric intake to under 3000. I recently purchased a Thermolean to help with weight loss, any thoughts?

Oakmont

poison

poison

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Friends,

oakmont
At 5'10", 185, do you have 25lbs of fat to lose? I'd like to see a picture of you without a shirt, because something isn't adding up here.

Look, a 10k isn't going to benefit from ANY more upper body mass. Period. Sprinters do, distance runners don't, the weight is your enemy. So, again, I understand your desire to lose weight, I just wonder what you are currently built like and what your bodyfat percentage is.

You could be 185 and solid muscle at 4% bodyfat, and you'd be justified in wanting to lose mass, for the goal of competing in the 10k.

To improve your 10k times, I'd do 2 5-7k runs for time a week, a 12-15k medium pace run, and a sprint (or hill) day. Add in some regular squats, tabata squats, and/or lunges, and whatever light-ish upper body stuff you like (bench and rows to keep it simple, or dips and pullups, and forget arm-specific stuff), and call it a day.

For supplements, I'd take 400mg EGCG twice a day, 2gr fish oil, Cordygen 5 and 2gr creatine monohydrate OR Cre02, 25gr whey a couple times a day, and Xtend before and after, if you drink during runs. Revenge Pro is OUTSTANDING before and during, as well:

http://www.discountanabolics.com/p/CN12

CTDeuce

CTDeuce

MST Reppin Hard!
Awards
  • Established
Cordygen is going to make you smile. A lot.

jim623

Friends,

oakmont
Hyperdrol X2 is very good for cutting and maintaining strength. Also, it's an aromatase inhibitor not a ph so no pct is necessary.