CREATINE-do not use more than 12 weeks?

phL8Tme

phL8Tme

Awards
Thats what it says on the tub. Any thoughts on this? Can't find any research on it.

phL8Tme

phL8Tme

Awards
creatine journal (bing search) says one can deflate due to muscles losing H2O after a 12 week cycle. Heck, I've noticed this after a day without. I havn't heard of any other bad effects, has anyone else?

poison

poison

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I'm assuming it's a creatine '****tail', not pure creatine powder or pills. Creatine is fine for longer periods than 12 weeks; usually if it's a NO/pump pre-workout ****tail, it'll recommend laying off for a while every so often.

there's controversy over whether the initial weight gain from creatine is solely water weight, or actual muscle. Creatine does increase nitrogen retention. I'd bet it's a combination of water weight and new muscle. Either way, don't worry about it.

If you see a difference in one day off creatine, I'd bet your diet is not in order. It takes a full month to restore your creatine stores to their normal levels after supplementation. One day makes zero difference. If it's an NO/pump product, it could make a difference, but that's most likely because you didn't workout the day you didn't take the stuff. No workout = less pump, less hard.

vpower

vpower

Awards
  • Established
Iv heard of people avoiding taking caffeine while using creatine because it might negate the performance enhancing effects of creatine. I think it really depends on the quality of the creatine though.

searl12

searl12

Banned
Awards
  • Established
creatine journal (bing search) says one can deflate due to muscles losing H2O after a 12 week cycle. Heck, I've noticed this after a day without. I havn't heard of any other bad effects, has anyone else?
yes, it can convert to creatinine a waste product that can have detremental effects on kidney function, I would get bloodwork to see of your Kidneys are working well before using it.

most BROS here will probably disagree and say you can be on it all the time.

According to my doctor (whos big into weightlifting) its not as safe as we all believe, especially if you already have a preexisting condition.

searl12

searl12

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Iv heard of people avoiding taking caffeine while using creatine because it might negate the performance enhancing effects of creatine. I think it really depends on the quality of the creatine though.
a small amount wont affect it at all, 1-2 cups, its going over board that will negate the effects somewhat.

poison

poison

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
yes, it can convert to creatinine a waste product that can have detremental effects on kidney function, I would get bloodwork to see of your Kidneys are working well before using it.

most BROS here will probably disagree and say you can be on it all the time.

According to my doctor (whos big into weightlifting) its not as safe as we all believe, especially if you already have a preexisting condition.

My understanding is that creatinine itself is not harmful. It IS a marker for potentially harmful conditions, and ALSO a marker for someone supplementing creatine. Doctors are used to using it as a telltale sign of kidney failure, but don't take into account someone who is supplementing creatine, in which case elevated creatinine is perfectly normal, and not dangerous at all.

Ask your dr about that.

searl12

searl12

Banned
Awards
  • Established
My understanding is that creatinine itself is not harmful. It IS a marker for potentially harmful conditions, and ALSO a marker for someone supplementing creatine. Doctors are used to using it as a telltale sign of kidney failure, but don't take into account someone who is supplementing creatine, in which case elevated creatinine is perfectly normal, and not dangerous at all.

Ask your dr about that.
interesting post , I certainly hope I wasnt sounding as if this was giving the concrete anser, just food for thought,

on my follow up I will look into this, he had me cycle off the creatine to see if my levels would return to acceptable ranges.

Clickster

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
If you have no preexisting factors and your diet and water intake is great you have nothing to worry about.

Diet always comes first.

searl12

searl12

Banned
Awards
  • Established
If you have no preexisting factors and your diet and water intake is great you have nothing to worry about.

Diet always comes first.
that avi rocks, lovin that hemodraulix!

plus the bottle looks damn kool, plz never change it,lol

phL8Tme

phL8Tme

Awards
Im not a newb, been lifting for years. Just at age 40 I have to be a little cautious. I started my first stack a couple weeks ago, nothing to strong. Tweeked the diet some, I've always eaten clean, healthy food and never had to worry about extra weight. I was shocked to find that I needed to be putting in almost 3900 cals a day to reach my goal. It's been tough, but I'm seeing results already!
Personally I feel creatine is safe, been using almost daily for 10 mo. with no sides. But on days I skip it, I'm pissin alot. Guessing I'm losing H20 thats stored in muscles.

Only real reason I posted this question was because I bought a different brand and that "warning" was on the label.

Interesting info from all of you!

5-6
170lbs
17" arms
46.5" chest
28 waist.

Now PB on bench last week 315#x2 I was so stoked!
I'm trying to hit 175 lbs body weight with my first stack! 2 weeks, 4 days left! and I've put on 3.5 lbs so far!

ax1

ax1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
i took creatine for 4 years straight.

phL8Tme

phL8Tme

Awards
I should add a quick note to this. I am able to lift 5 days a week, take a three day break every other to heal up right. I also started my first PH stack about 2 weeks ago and upped my calories to about 3900 a day. It has always been rather easy to bulk up, I just finally hit a wall (thus the PH).

Hugo Danner

Awards
I've read that creatine should be cycled not due to harmful effetcs, but because the body's receptors - over time - become numb to it, thereby reducing or eliminating the benefits of taking creatine. On a separate note - many articles I've read (inlcuding those stating the reasons to cycle), talk about creatine as though it were a wonder drug.

searl12

searl12

Banned
Awards
  • Established
its one phenominal supplement, noone canargue that, but tis no drug.

poison

poison

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I've read that creatine should be cycled not due to harmful effetcs, but because the body's receptors - over time - become numb to it, thereby reducing or eliminating the benefits of taking creatine.
There is zero truth to that.

poison

poison

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Also no. It's like carbs: your muscles can only store so much, and when they're full, they're full. Your body taps in as needed, but won't benefit from excess carbs, other than having fully full stores. Not the greatest analogy, but...

It takes a month of daily supplementation to saturate creatine stores. After that you're just keeping the tank full, so to speak. The only hitch may be that there might be a benefit to taking creatine immediately pre-workout, above and beyond 'filling the tank'. But it hasn't been proven.

bludevil

bludevil

Awards
  • Established
I've got before and after bloodwork done while supplementing with only creatine mono, and before creatinine levels were normal, after my levels were above the High range. After 4 to 5 days of non-use my creatinine levels were back to normal.

searl12

searl12

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I've got before and after bloodwork done while supplementing with only creatine mono, and before creatinine levels were normal, after my levels were above the High range. After 4 to 5 days of non-use my creatinine levels were back to normal.
I as well my friend, thats why I say cycle it...mine were real high actually and the first thing the doc asked....was...you guessed it , do you use creatine?

phL8Tme

phL8Tme

Awards
Very interesting replies indeed! I'm learning more here then I did searching the web articles. AM rocks.

bludevil

bludevil

Awards
  • Established
samething here, the dr. asked me to drop the creatine for a few days because he wasn't sure if I was having kidney issues or not because the creatine had my bloodwork out of whack. After a few days of non-use, went back, had blood work done and everything checked out ok. So yes I agree to cycle.
But the older I get (35) the more I believe that if you've got your diet and training dialed in, the supp's are not needed at all. Currently I just use a vitamin, protein pwder, and fish oil.

It's really easy from all the ads and such to get sucked into all the hype concerning supps, when someone just needs to adjust their diet slightly to see results.

poison

poison

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
My question is:

What does high creatinine levels mean, when you're supplementing creatine? Is the creatinine itself harmful, or is it a potential marker of a harmful condition?

Can one of you two ask your dr's?

searl12

searl12

Banned
Awards
  • Established
My question is:

What does high creatinine levels mean, when you're supplementing creatine? Is the creatinine itself harmful, or is it a potential marker of a harmful condition?

Can one of you two ask your dr's?
creatinine is a waste product of creatine phosphate, when it accumulates in the kidneys it can somewhat hinder their ability to filter blood.

High creatinine levles can also be a sign of kidney dysfunction, and inevitably Kidney disease.

One should make sure their kidneys are in good order before using it.

bludevil

bludevil

Awards
  • Established
Copied from webmd

Creatinine and creatinine clearance tests measure the level of the waste product creatinine in your blood and urine. These tests tell how well your kidneys are working. The substance creatine is formed when food is changed into energy through a process called metabolism. Creatine is broken down into another substance called creatinine, which is taken out of your blood by the kidneys and then passed out of your body in urine. See a picture of the kidneys.

Creatinine is made at a steady rate and is not affected by diet or by normal physical activities. If your kidneys are damaged and cannot work normally, the amount of creatinine in your urine goes down while its level in your blood goes up.

Three types of tests on creatinine can be done:

Blood creatinine level
The blood creatinine level shows how well your kidneys are working. A high creatinine level may mean your kidneys are not working properly. The amount of creatinine in the blood depends partly on the amount of muscle tissue you have; men generally have higher creatinine levels than women.

Creatinine clearance test
A creatinine clearance test measures how well creatinine is removed from your blood by your kidneys. A creatinine clearance test gives better information than a blood creatinine test on how well your kidneys are working. A creatinine clearance test is done on both a blood sample and on a sample of urine collected over 24 hours (24-hour urine sample).

Blood urea nitrogen-to-creatinine ratio (BUN:creatinine)
The levels of blood creatinine and blood urea nitrogen (BUN) can be used to find the BUN-to-creatinine ratio. A BUN-to-creatinine ratio can help your doctor check for problems, such as dehydration, that may cause abnormal BUN and creatinine levels.

Urea is a waste product made when protein is broken down in your body. Urea is made in the liver and passed out of your body in the urine. A blood urea nitrogen (BUN) test measures the amount of urea in your blood. Like creatinine, it can help your doctor see how well your kidneys are working.

Why It Is Done
A blood creatinine level or a creatinine clearance test is done to:

See if your kidneys are working normally.
See if your kidney disease is changing.
See how well the kidneys work in people who take medicines that can cause kidney damage.
See if severe dehydration is present. Dehydration generally causes BUN levels to rise more than creatinine levels. This causes a high BUN-to-creatinine ratio. Kidney disease or blockage of the flow of urine from your kidney causes both BUN and creatinine levels to rise.

poison

poison

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
That info says nothing about the danger of creatinine itself, and everything about creatinine as a signal of other possibly harmful conditions.

EDIT: there are over 200 studies of varying lengths showing no negative effects from creatine supplementation. There are 5 year, 10 year, and 18 year long studies.