Does supplementing l-arginine have a negative effect on athletes?

1. Does supplementing l-arginine have a negative effect on athletes?

I was wondering if taking l arginine as a supp has an effect on athletes? I have recently began taking it and noticed my legs (calves mainly) cramp alot easier and feel more stiff. and yes i stretch. I was just wondering if taking it has any negative effects? thanks

2. i would tend to think it has a positive effect. i am a baseball player and drink no-shotgun before every game. i have never noticed cramping or any other negative side effect. i have also taken arginine caps and/or drank no-shotgun before playing pickup basketball and again have noticed no negative effects. if you are cramping i would make sure to drink at least a gallon of water a day and drink plenty during your athletic activity.
    •   

3. Cramping? It should not affect cramping in any way, though you might mistake a thick pump for a cramp. You'd have to be working the muscle pretty hard to get that, though.

There are other issues with arginine, like its effect on creatine in the body, and free-radical formation, that I'm more interested in. Arginine, as a whole, is pretty benign stuff.

4. Quote Originally Posted by poison View Post
    Cramping? It should not affect cramping in any way, though you might mistake a thick pump for a cramp. You'd have to be working the muscle pretty hard to get that, though.

There are other issues with arginine, like its effect on creatine in the body, and free-radical formation, that I'm more interested in. Arginine, as a whole, is pretty benign stuff.
    I have not read about it affecting ceatine. Is it a possitive or negative effect?

5. Possibly negative.
    •   

6. You aren't drinking enough water, maybe you need more electrolytes...
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Arginine's Effect on GH
    By iForce Dave in forum Supplements
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 08-06-2010, 11:04 PM
  2. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-08-2007, 12:31 PM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-06-2007, 02:39 PM
  4. Stimulants Negative effect on Endurance?
    By rocckky in forum Supplements
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 12-14-2005, 09:30 AM
  5. Any negative effects of high dose L-arginine?
    By BigVrunga in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-19-2003, 12:40 AM