Supplement use to fight or neutralize "Swine Flu"

gmc4180

Awards
  • Established
Hey guys, with this outbreak dominating the headlines, I wanted to get feedback on possible compounds or herbals to prevent or fight "Swine Flu" or other flu strains for that matter. It seems these strains of flu can turn deadly by causing hypercytokinemia or "cytokine storms".

I'll start. I found an interesting bit about Curcumin. It appears Curcumin is a potent inhibitor of NF-KappaB (which can raise TNF), as well as the MAPK (mitogen activated protein kinase) system,(particularly the MAPK p38 system) which plays a large role in creating a cytokine storm.

N-Acetyl-Cysteine (NAC) has been shown to reduce the severity of the flu by neutralizing ROS (Reactive Oxygen Species) created by these cytokine storms.

Please chime in with suggestions and/or studies!

poison

poison

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
oregano extract is proven to kill the flu virus, iirc, and i recall that olive leaf extract may do the same. i am on my phone, so i can't look it up easily right now.

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Gut Health, NAC, and a good quality full spectrum Anti-oxidant will all help.

Also keep your vitamin intake high.

Dath

Awards
For the immune system: AHCC and/or Stemenhance

Anti-Virals: Garlic, Colloidal Silver, Grapefruit Seed Extract (I think)

You can try taking 16 cloves of Garlic, 1 tablespoon of 20ppm Colloidal Silver and 3 capsules (or 45 drops) of Grapefruit Seed Extract each day. If that doesn't kill it then I don't know what will.

joebo

joebo

Awards
  • Established
The whole thing is so over-hyped. The flu is actually stated to be "mild" compared to other known strains. They make a big deal out of the deaths, but over 40k people die each year from "normal" influenza. The media is all about scare tactics. its actually quite sickening. Anyways, everything people have mentioned so far are in general good things to take.

poison

poison

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
For the immune system: AHCC and/or Stemenhance

Anti-Virals: Garlic, Colloidal Silver, Grapefruit Seed Extract (I think)

You can try taking 16 cloves of Garlic, 1 tablespoon of 20ppm Colloidal Silver and 3 capsules (or 45 drops) of Grapefruit Seed Extract each day. If that doesn't kill it then I don't know what will.
YOU take 16 cloves of garlic, friend. this is the flu, not a vampire invasion. lol

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
YOU take 16 cloves of garlic, friend. this is the flu, not a vampire invasion. lol
If YOU were a flu virus, would YOU get anywhere near him?

Swine flu? Perhaps not. Smell like a swine? Umm...yep

Dath

Awards
Well, it's cheaper than buying garlic supplements. Plus you'll stink so bad of garlic that you'll have the added benefit of keeping away vampires. I'm not sure about zombies though.

Chub

Chub

Awards
  • Established
swine flu eh! I'm good, i got my oinkment! :bigok:

IvyLeaguePump

IvyLeaguePump

Awards
They make a big deal out of the deaths, but over 40k people die each year from "normal" influenza.

The media is all about scare tactics.
Yes, the first point is always missed in the hysteria.

Also, yes, it is about scare tactics. The flu isn't even really swine related, since you don't get it by eating pork. While the virus has some similarities to the influenza strain carried by pigs, it's actually a new mutation of avian, swine and human influenzas. It is transmitted from human-to-human - not pig-to-human. Yet careless public relations last week let the 'swine flu' moniker stick.

Sinon

Sinon

Awards
Dude, anyone hear they think it is engineered to kill hispanics? Crazy stuff

AK32408

AK32408

IBE/PHF Rep
Awards
  • Established
Just keep taking immune boosters and anti oxidants, Reverse by IBE and GUT Health by RPN, and you should be good to go. The media does hype things way out of proportion, it's sickening.

AnonyMoose

AnonyMoose

Awards
  • Established
vitamin c is very good at protecting cells from being infected.

Chub

Chub

Awards
  • Established
and there was me thinking my oinkment joke was funny :(

SamBoz19

SamBoz19

Awards
  • Established

gmc4180

Awards
  • Established
Great replies here guys! I do agree, the media has blown this up causing way too many unfounded fears. The majority of people (in the US) are recovering absolutely fine. But that's the media, what do you expect? ;)

What does concern me is another mutation of the H5N1 Varient (Avian Flu). If this sucker evolves to be as communicable as the current "Swine Flu" or other common varients we could be in for some serious problems.. I think that this is the scenario, albeit worst case, that makes some of the info in this thread extremely useful!

Marcinator

Marcinator

Awards
To all the people here who are completely relaxing about the swine flu due to media "scare tactics" I will say to you: Influenza is a very real, and a very dangerous virus. Go research the "Spanish Flu" pandemic of 1918 (worldwide death toll between 20 - 100 million people). Many flu viruses are mutated descendants of this original and horrifying disease. Anytime a new strain is out there, it is a major cause for concern. TS is smart in wanting to know ways to protect himself.

On the other hand, people who are thinking this is the end of the world are probably being too extreme. There have been many flu outbreaks in the past century and in some cases (1976 swine flu for example) the "vaccine" has been found to be more harmful than the virus itself!

Bottom line: wash your hands :)

hardknock

Awards
  • Established
Dude, anyone hear they think it is engineered to kill hispanics? Crazy stuff
Now that would be propaganda gone wild!

One of the reasons why so many people are getting over hyped about this is due to the fact that very few have seen the flu strain running this late in the season, so that is contributing to the "hysteria", as some would call it.

hardknock

Awards
  • Established
oregano extract is proven to kill the flu virus, iirc, and i recall that olive leaf extract may do the same. i am on my phone, so i can't look it up easily right now.
I heard that any shots that were taken this fall were not effective against this strain...of course, this is probably due to circumstances being some of the people who have gotten it also took flu shots this fall.

jdg487

jdg487

Awards
  • Established
Yep but you got to make sure it is the high quality Oregano Oil Extract...

Another thing is collodial silver, I've heard it kills it in the gut

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Now that would be propaganda gone wild!

One of the reasons why so many people are getting over hyped about this is due to the fact that very few have seen the flu strain running this late in the season, so that is contributing to the "hysteria", as some would call it.
No, the reason why so many people are getting hyped over it is the media is blowing it out of proportion to help keep peoples minds off how the US will need to declare bankruptcy soon given our governments spending policies.

joebo

joebo

Awards
  • Established
No, the reason why so many people are getting hyped over it is the media is blowing it out of proportion to help keep peoples minds off how the US will need to declare bankruptcy soon given our governments spending policies.
Government just passed an emergency 1.5B to fund this swine flu....

FlawedGrunt

FlawedGrunt

Awards
  • Established
vitamin c is very good at protecting cells from being infected.
You know I used to be an avid Vitamin C guy... like getting sick and slamming orange juice and taking like 1g of C a day... well For the last 2 weeks ive been taking about 4g of Vitamin C a day for cortisol reasons but low and behold I still got sick this week... thats on top of the 2 multivitamins i take a day and 9-10 NP Omega 3's plus all the ingredients in my controlled labs blue up and blue gene stack which has things like grape seed extract in it.... I just don't know about the C anymore... i think im gonna buy some gut health when i get the money too

IvyLeaguePump

IvyLeaguePump

Awards
To all the people here who are completely relaxing about the swine flu due to media "scare tactics" I will say to you: Influenza is a very real, and a very dangerous virus. Go research the "Spanish Flu" pandemic of 1918 (worldwide death toll between 20 - 100 million people). Many flu viruses are mutated descendants of this original and horrifying disease. Anytime a new strain is out there, it is a major cause for concern. TS is smart in wanting to know ways to protect himself.

On the other hand, people who are thinking this is the end of the world are probably being too extreme. There have been many flu outbreaks in the past century and in some cases (1976 swine flu for example) the "vaccine" has been found to be more harmful than the virus itself!

Bottom line: wash your hands :)
You're kind of breezing over what happened in the 1970's -- a "swine flu" was causing havoc, so they created a swine flu vaccine that ended up killing more people than the original disease.

Flu scares are nothing knew. I'm not saying everyone should sit back and ignore it, but there aren't piles of dead bodies lying everywhere. In fact, most who caught this flu subsequently got released from the hospital.

Is it good public policy to scare the **** out of the world to the point that international economic activity shuts down?

Remember bird flu?
Remember SARS?
Remember the attack of the killer tomatoes last summer?
(to those who don't remember the tomato scare -- everyone was afraid to eat tomatoes because someone got sick, the media freaked out, the industry lost millions, acres and acres of tomatoes were destroyed in the US, then the government found out that the culprit was actual a jalapeno from a single distributor in Mexico.)

To me, the bottom line is these scares have real effects and the type of hyperbole used by the media can be very damaging.

IvyLeaguePump

IvyLeaguePump

Awards
Just in case you aren't joking, I thought I'd respond to this.

US Treasury bills actually do well during these types of crises because they are the safest investment in the world.

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
Yeah I don't let this run my life. When your numbers up your numbers up, can't change nothin about that.

But a flu outbreak is nothing to sneeze at (pun intended.) It has the potential to get serious, but it's not right now, so I haven't asked Iron Lungz for any masks yet

p00ndawg

p00ndawg

Banned
Awards
  • Established
You're kind of breezing over what happened in the 1970's -- a "swine flu" was causing havoc, so they created a swine flu vaccine that ended up killing more people than the original disease.

Flu scares are nothing knew. I'm not saying everyone should sit back and ignore it, but there aren't piles of dead bodies lying everywhere. In fact, most who caught this flu subsequently got released from the hospital.

Is it good public policy to scare the **** out of the world to the point that international economic activity shuts down?

Remember bird flu?
Remember SARS?
Remember the attack of the killer tomatoes last summer?
(to those who don't remember the tomato scare -- everyone was afraid to eat tomatoes because someone got sick, the media freaked out, the industry lost millions, acres and acres of tomatoes were destroyed in the US, then the government found out that the culprit was actual a jalapeno from a single distributor in Mexico.)

To me, the bottom line is these scares have real effects and the type of hyperbole used by the media can be very damaging.

they actually werent from mexico, they were from south texas, or their distribution warehouse was in south texas. Their product was from mexico. I know because I worked next to their warehouse, have done business with them, and have been inside their warehouse.

Kind of weird you would mention this, I dont remember anything about tomatoes tho, I just remember all the cnn news vans at the terminal.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Just in case you aren't joking, I thought I'd respond to this.

US Treasury bills actually do well during these types of crises because they are the safest investment in the world.
I'm not joking. The annual repayment on JUST obama's first year deficit will be over 100 billion dollars. Which means next years budget has to go up by 100 billion to just keep the same deficit, with no additional spending. We've reached the point (according to the Comptroller General of the US Government, head of the General Accounting Office) where our spending and debt levels are unmaintainable and we have to significantly reduce spending and RAISE taxes at the same time to avoid bankruptcy in the next 30 years. The 1.7 trillion deficit is a lie BTW, its actually well over 2.1 trillion as they are stealing the surplus of what gets paid into social security and counting that as tax income. The problem is that its supposed to be increasing the net assets of social security so as more and more baby boomers are drawing the net assets will slowly go back down. As it is now if we maintain anywhere near the current levels of spending by the 2030s the average tax rate will need to be around 45% just to cover social security + medicare + interest on the national debt, and NO other services.

http://www.iousathemovie.com/

jdg487

jdg487

Awards
  • Established
I don't think there will be social sercurity or medicare in 2030...

I heard on the radio this morning that Elderberry is a good immune booster that helps protect against the flu

FlawedGrunt

FlawedGrunt

Awards
  • Established
It was once said that a black man would be president "when pigs fly" indeed 100 days into Obama's presidency "swine flu"

Lol i just got that as a text message, kinda funny

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I don't think there will be social sercurity or medicare in 2030...

I heard on the radio this morning that Elderberry is a good immune booster that helps protect against the flu
there won't be any money to pay for it, but there will be general revolution if it gets cancelled suddenly too. the reason there wont be money is because congress is spending the money that is supposed to be going into that account on anti-suicide fences on bridges, and protecting endangered field mice, and all sorts of other stupidity.

BiG in NYC 82

BiG in NYC 82

Awards
It was once said that a black man would be president "when pigs fly" indeed 100 days into Obama's presidency "swine flu"

Lol i just got that as a text message, kinda funny
that is kinda funny...o boi!

You think spreading swine flu is CHEAP?
:eek:

funny b/c I mentioned it just last night...the pharmaceutical companies' stocks are rising and rising with it... :eek:

dg806

dg806

Enologist/Brewmaster/Damn good guy
Awards
  • Established
Just keep taking immune boosters and anti oxidants, Reverse by IBE and GUT Health by RPN, and you should be good to go. The media does hype things way out of proportion, it's sickening.
Something I heard that was strange is this......they say this strain actually hits the healthy people hardest(age 21-35). It illicits a response from the immune system that attacks the throat and lungs. The stronger the immune system, the stronger the attack. If anyone has heard this or anything different, please post it.

MentalTwitch

MentalTwitch

Awards
  • Established
Swine Flu gets its DNA/RNA from 3 different sources. The reason we got so wound up is because severity of spreading so fast, a matter of 3-4 days we had it surrounding us. N.Y. , S.C. , Chicago(my city), California, Texas, Ohio, and i think somewhere else in the mid-west.
IT IS TREATABLE! DO NOT TRY TO FIGHT IT YOURSELF. THERE IS A REASON IT IS BEING ACTIVE!
You will NOT fight ANY virus i have heard of with OTC supps, you can strengthen the immune system but it WILL NOT be able to provide rapid enough memory cells and destroy a virus....you know why?
A virus most often integrates itself into a "host cell"(one of our common cells. It then releases its DNA/RNA for multiplication. There are select drugs for virus'
Tamiflu is one. It was pulled off the shelves and put on reserve for THIS EXACT REASON(not swine but a general emergency)
The Tamiflu would have been causing a stronger strain had we been popping them left and right. Virus' adapt and evolve at astounding rates.

So far transmission is only through droplets. i.e. coughing, sneezing, possible breathing if moist enough and infection would be close quarters, spit, mucus, etc....

IF you think you have ANY Flu, you need to go to the Dr.

It nothing to turn the other cheek to, but its something you need to acknowledge.

There were 2 confirmed cases in Chicago in a hospital. They said the owrkers had limited contact and were quarantined ASAP.

Im NOT a professional in the field oif Immunology but am a Microbiology Major. So take my word and suggestions knowing that.

MentalTwitch

MentalTwitch

Awards
  • Established
Something I heard that was strange is this......they say this strain actually hits the healthy people hardest(age 21-35). It illicits a response from the immune system that attacks the throat and lungs. The stronger the immune system, the stronger the attack. If anyone has heard this or anything different, please post it.
We(healthy people) will feel the symptoms quicker. Not really "infected" or "damaged" more quickly. Our immune systems move at astounding rates, pushing all out anitgenc cells, T-cells and B-cells through the lymph system constantly through the day and especially on workout days.

hardknock

Awards
  • Established
The media doesn't have to blow a sickness out of proportion. When you are 60+ years old, you are always hysterical over anything pertaining to sickness. It's not imaginary that people die from the flu, especially infants and elderly. Elderly individuals are scared to death of getting the flu or pneumonia, they don't need the media's help to get hysterical.

I have started seeing a trend, over the past 10 years. Our sayings that the media is blowing things out of proportion has gotten almost as bad as the media actually blowing things out of proportion.

hardknock

Awards
  • Established
Swine Flu gets its DNA/RNA from 3 different sources. The reason we got so wound up is because severity of spreading so fast, a matter of 3-4 days we had it surrounding us. N.Y. , S.C. , Chicago(my city), California, Texas, Ohio, and i think somewhere else in the mid-west.
IT IS TREATABLE! DO NOT TRY TO FIGHT IT YOURSELF. THERE IS A REASON IT IS BEING ACTIVE!
You will NOT fight ANY virus i have heard of with OTC supps, you can strengthen the immune system but it WILL NOT be able to provide rapid enough memory cells and destroy a virus....you know why?
A virus most often integrates itself into a "host cell"(one of our common cells. It then releases its DNA/RNA for multiplication. There are select drugs for virus'
Tamiflu is one. It was pulled off the shelves and put on reserve for THIS EXACT REASON(not swine but a general emergency)
The Tamiflu would have been causing a stronger strain had we been popping them left and right. Virus' adapt and evolve at astounding rates.

So far transmission is only through droplets. i.e. coughing, sneezing, possible breathing if moist enough and infection would be close quarters, spit, mucus, etc....

IF you think you have ANY Flu, you need to go to the Dr.

It nothing to turn the other cheek to, but its something you need to acknowledge.

There were 2 confirmed cases in Chicago in a hospital. They said the owrkers had limited contact and were quarantined ASAP.

Im NOT a professional in the field oif Immunology but am a Microbiology Major. So take my word and suggestions knowing that.
You're just wasting your finger strength typing that brother, the bro science consensus is that it's just "media hype" :dunno:

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
The media doesn't have to blow a sickness out of proportion. When you are 60+ years old, you are always hysterical over anything pertaining to sickness. It's not imaginary that people die from the flu, especially infants and elderly. Elderly individuals are scared to death of getting the flu or pneumonia, they don't need the media's help to get hysterical.

I have started seeing a trend, over the past 10 years. Our sayings that the media is blowing things out of proportion has gotten almost as bad as the media actually blowing things out of proportion.
35000-60000 people die in the US from a flu every year. So far 1 person from this variant, and under 200 cases of illness from it. It is being blown up out of proportion.

p00ndawg

p00ndawg

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Just make sure if you find out you have swine flu or you think you have it you go to your city center,It's the only way you can let people know to stay away from you to prevent them from getting sick to. You have to let as many people know as possible to prevent a pandemic.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I heard that Tamiflu is effective against this virus

Flaw

Flaw

Awards
  • Established
35000-60000 people die in the US from a flu every year. So far 1 person from this variant, and under 200 cases of illness from it. It is being blown up out of proportion.
Great point! :thumbsup:

This just gives people something to talk about...