Protein shakes before bed? - AnabolicMinds.com

Protein shakes before bed?

Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  1. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  153 lbs.

Protein shakes before bed?

A lot of protein shakes, such as Muscle Milk, suggest having a shake before you go to bed, but they do not seem to give much evidence as to why this would be beneficial.

In general, I try not to eat anything before bed since you dont digest it well and its easier to gain fat this way, but Im curious as to what benefits there might be to taking protein shakes before bed.

Has anyone tried this, and if so, have they gotten good results? I guess im bulking, but I'd rather see slow progress and avoid gaining fat.

2. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'3"  215 lbs.

use caisen protein or however you spell it it like cottage cheese it realeases over like 8 hours or so slow realease protein im spelling bad tonight lol but thats the best thing to do a good example is cottage cheese.
  3. Senior Member

I take dymatize elite 12h because I sleep at least 8 hours and that's a lot of time without feeding the muscles, I don't get thinner but I don't think it makes me fat also.
    if growth its an objective I think that feed before bed its a must , to get cut like a model(gay body IMO), skip it
    •   

4. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by nunes View Post
    I take dymatize elite 12h because I sleep at least 8 hours and that's a lot of time without feeding the muscles, I don't get thinner but I don't think it makes me fat also.
    if growth its an objective I think that feed before bed its a must , to get cut like a model(gay body IMO), skip it
    i use the same. its my very last meal before bed (9pm). two scoops, 8 oz skim milk, 6 oz water. after i have two tbsp of peanut butter (separate from shake).
  5. New Member
    Stats
    6'2"  208 lbs.

yea i use the dymatize 12 hour protein to and its awesome, just not sure if it really does stay in your system for 12 hours but it does the job. I usually have it about an hour before i go to bed, gotta let it digest a little. Ive done this for a long time now and i havent gained much fat. Doesnt really matter when u eat, just remember calories in vs. calories out.
  6. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  195 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by wbted23 View Post
    I guess im bulking, but I'd rather see slow progress and avoid gaining fat.
    At 5'11 - 152 lbs, I'd say you should definently imbibe a casein shake, some FF cottage cheese and a couple scoops natty PB before bed. Gain some mass, worry about getting fat later.
  7. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  173 lbs.

ON Casein is the way to go.. I take 1 scoop before bed and I wake up without the fatigue and soreness I used to have... I did this while on my bulk and even now when I am cutting..

I have to agree with the above post.. Calories in vs Calories out..
  8. New Member

Quote Originally Posted by wbted23 View Post
    In general, I try not to eat anything before bed since you dont digest it well and its easier to gain fat this way
    That's a common misconception.
  9. New Member

I personally drink a whey/cassein blend before bed.
    I use 25 grams whey protein isolate, 25 grams cassein, and 16 ounces 1% milk.
    I like optimum nutrition's chocolate cassein protein.
    It tastes good and is reasonably priced.
    Additionally adding whey makes the shake taste better because cassein by itself is not very palatable.
  10. New Member
    Stats
    6'2"  180 lbs.

you want evidence??? think about if during the day you just stopped eating for eight hours...you need no evidence its really just common sense...i use elite 12 hour which has egg whey caisen soy milk everything...you need to feed those mucsles while you sleep to prevent catabolism...cutting or bulking will just depend on what type of shake it is
  11. Banned
    Stats
    5'11"  191 lbs.

I am cutting. I am losing fat and maintaining muscle. I do not drink a shake before bed. I just drink 5-10 g of BCAAs instead.

I would drink a shake before bed when bulking - if cutting, do so at your own risk. May hurt you, may not...but my formula is working, so I'm not gonna change it.
  12. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  195 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by captainbicept View Post
    Additionally adding whey makes the shake taste better because cassein by itself is not very palatable.
    I beg to differ. ON cookies n creme casein on its own is quite pleasing. It is a rare day however I get to experience this as it is typically coupled with a scoop of BCAAs and this in turn creates a lesser than desired taste, yet still consumable. An aquired taste if you will.
  13. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'11"  240 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

SAN Infusion before bed is the best option IMO
    Molecular Nutrition - Unlevel The Field
    X-Factor: THE Most Scientifically Valid Muscle Builder, Ever!
  14. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  182 lbs.

ya i heard cucumbers are good right before bedtime cause they keep your metabolisim cranking through the night.
  15. Diamond Member
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.

yeah listen to these guys. you need protein whenever your awake pretty much if you want to grow. every 2-3 hours..if you do wake up during sleep this is the perfect opportunity to slam down a protein shake.
    Follow me on facebook, twitter and youtube, where I share information and videos to help you achieve your physique goals, John Smeton Ftness
  16. New Member
    Stats
    6'2"  185 lbs.

lol well at 5'11 152 i wouldn't worry about the fat man cause that's kinda what you want. the reason why and it said this on my muscle milk when i had before i stopped,you take it before bead because when you sleep your body goes into a catalytic state. You need to gain all the nutrients before you go to bed so your body can use that while you are asleep. Also, if your doing sports, get off muscle milk cause ncaa deems it illegal because it uses breast milk which according to them is a source of a steroid so thats why i stopped.
    later
  17. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'7"  169 lbs.

fat doesnt make you fat, too many calories makes you fat.

If you dont have enough good fat in your diet, your testosterone levels will suffer!
  18. Diamond Member
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by buster0371 View Post
    fat doesnt make you fat, too many calories makes you fat.

If you dont have enough good fat in your diet, your testosterone levels will suffer!
    twenty percent in fact. (its really 18 % I say 20 to be always on the safe side)
    Follow me on facebook, twitter and youtube, where I share information and videos to help you achieve your physique goals, John Smeton Ftness
  19. UKStrength

Quote Originally Posted by smeton_yea View Post
    twenty percent in fact. (its really 18 % I say 20 to be always on the safe side)
    Also the type of fat matters.

I'd say eat the majority from monounsaturated, omega-3 fats and (quality) saturated fat sources (e.g. organic eggs, coconut oil, grass fed beef, wild meats).

Polyunsaturated fats are given too much credit IMO.
  20. New Member
    Stats
    5'7"  142 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by sportsfan4110 View Post
    Doesnt really matter when u eat, just remember calories in vs. calories out.
    You are right.
  21. NutraPlanet Rep
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by getbigbyjune View Post
    lol well at 5'11 152 i wouldn't worry about the fat man cause that's kinda what you want. the reason why and it said this on my muscle milk when i had before i stopped,you take it before bead because when you sleep your body goes into a catalytic state. You need to gain all the nutrients before you go to bed so your body can use that while you are asleep. Also, if your doing sports, get off muscle milk cause ncaa deems it illegal because it uses breast milk which according to them is a source of a steroid so thats why i stopped.
    later
    so they line up bunches of lactating women to produce muscle milk instead of feed their babies? Thats wrong info.

They "may" contain some IGF-1, and even so you would have to take 15 shakes or more a day for even the most minute trace to be detectable. Get your facts straight. If breast milk was that bad, why do newborns take it?
  22. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  195 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by UKStrength View Post
    Also the type of fat matters.

I'd say eat the majority from monounsaturated, omega-3 fats and (quality) saturated fat sources (e.g. organic eggs, coconut oil, grass fed beef, wild meats).

Polyunsaturated fats are given too much credit IMO.
    Where does ground bison stand in the face of health?
  23. UKStrength

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Manback View Post
    Where does ground bison stand in the face of health?
    If it's wild bison, it'll already be pretty lean anyway (depending on the cut) so high in protein and low in fat.

However, the grass-based diet means the fat on the meat will have a higher DHA content (omega-3) than it's farm-reared, corn-fed brethren, making it an exceptionally healthy choice for bolognese!
  24. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  225 lbs.

Probalic SR is good taste awesome. Cassien is also what you need or maybe something like Syntha-6. Good luck.
  25. UKStrength

Quote Originally Posted by Broodstar View Post
    Probalic SR is good taste awesome. Cassien is also what you need or maybe something like Syntha-6. Good luck.
    I used to enjoy Optimum Nutrition 100% Casein protein years ago (the chocolate flavour was pretty amazing), but these days cottage cheese does the trick and is much cheaper.
  26. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  225 lbs.

I used to enjoy Optimum Nutrition 100% Casein protein years ago (the chocolate flavour was pretty amazing), but these days cottage cheese does the trick and is much cheaper.
    Yup if you dont want to buy the shakes I agree food is the most anabolic as it gets so yeah if you like cottage cheese I would buy it. I got 2 tubs in my fridge I eat at night.
  27. UKStrength

Yup if you dont want to buy the shakes I agree food is the most anabolic as it gets so yeah if you like cottage cheese I would buy it. I got 2 tubs in my fridge I eat at night.
    Yeah it was back when I first started training (8 years ago, crikey!), more supps than proper nutrition!
  28. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  195 lbs.

My new name for you is Tubs
  29. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  195 lbs.

If it's wild bison, it'll already be pretty lean anyway (depending on the cut) so high in protein and low in fat.

However, the grass-based diet means the fat on the meat will have a higher DHA content (omega-3) than it's farm-reared, corn-fed brethren, making it an exceptionally healthy choice for bolognese!
    Hmm. I feel as if I should be supplementing on grass myself.
  30. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  225 lbs.

My new name for you is Tubs
    Hahaha lol yeah I got tubs of almost everything lol shock theraphy protein casseine, hateraid you name it I got it lol
  31. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  195 lbs.

Hahaha lol yeah I got tubs of almost everything lol shock theraphy protein casseine, hateraid you name it I got it lol
    I just think it's funny because I have a fat friend that I also call Tubs.

You are Bizzaro Tubs.
  32. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  220 lbs.

So harry manback I found this in your high school senior pics is has to be you bud

33. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'10"  185 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by MrBigPR View Post
    so they line up bunches of lactating women to produce muscle milk instead of feed their babies? Thats wrong info.

They "may" contain some IGF-1, and even so you would have to take 15 shakes or more a day for even the most minute trace to be detectable. Get your facts straight. If breast milk was that bad, why do newborns take it?
    I think he's saying that the NCAA has deemed it a viable source of illegal consumption. I do not know this to be true as I have worked with quite a few collegiate athletes and have NEVER heard of this. Although I am not in the "official loop" so it may be true or just horse sh!t
    ---The internet is the father of the electronic lynch-mob---
  34. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  195 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Stallion83 View Post
    So harry manback I found this in your high school senior pics is has to be you bud

No that's one of my spread shot photos when I was selling my body for sex. You have the cut off photo. I'll send ya the full body spread if ya want.
  35. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  225 lbs.

No that's one of my spread shot photos when I was selling my body for sex. You have the cut off photo. I'll send ya the full body spread if ya want.
    Ahahaha im good u can give it to the guy who started this thread lol. Maybe that will be his nighttime protein lol.
  36. New Member
    Stats
    6'2"  185 lbs.

look, i don't care what u think. when bgsu,ohio state, and michigan state, invited me to their camp they had a list of illegal substances that they gave us. And on it was muscle milk. they told us because it had a form of breast milk it was deemed illegal and if you were found using it u would be kicked off the team.
    (so they line up bunches of lactating women to produce muscle milk instead of feed their babies?)
    yah thats exactly what they ****ing do.
  37. Banned
    Stats
    5'11"  191 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by getbigbyjune View Post
    look, i don't care what u think. when bgsu,ohio state, and michigan state, invited me to their camp they had a list of illegal substances that they gave us. And on it was muscle milk. they told us because it had a form of breast milk it was deemed illegal and if you were found using it u would be kicked off the team.
    (so they line up bunches of lactating women to produce muscle milk instead of feed their babies?)
    yah thats exactly what they ****ing do.
    You are retarded.

PLEASE EVERYONE KNOW THAT THEY ARE NOT MILKING WOMEN TO MAKE THIS PROTEIN. IT IS MODELED AFTER BREAST MILK AS FAR AS PROTEIN, FATS, ETC.... ARE CONCERNED.
  38. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  153 lbs.

haha, things got a little off topic here, but thanks for the advice all!

Yea i know i need to gain weight, but i just want to stay lean for the summer more than i want to bulk up at the moment, so bulking isnt really a priority for me. i will prob try some cottage cheese or a casein protien shake tho, sounds good!
  39. NutraPlanet Rep
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.

Actually it contains forms of Bovine Colostrum.

Getbigbyjune is just a kid.
  40. New Member
    Stats
    6'2"  185 lbs.

so the entire ncaa is a kid msu coaches are kids and ccha wcha and echa are all kids. cool
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-31-2009, 12:37 PM
  2. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-13-2009, 07:24 PM
  3. too many protein shakes per day
    By mircle in forum Bulking
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 07-25-2008, 08:49 PM
  4. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-30-2008, 12:05 AM