Protein shakes before bed?

Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  1. Registered User
    wbted23's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  153 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Age
    27
    Posts
    77
    Rep Power
    105

    Protein shakes before bed?


    A lot of protein shakes, such as Muscle Milk, suggest having a shake before you go to bed, but they do not seem to give much evidence as to why this would be beneficial.

    In general, I try not to eat anything before bed since you dont digest it well and its easier to gain fat this way, but Im curious as to what benefits there might be to taking protein shakes before bed.

    Has anyone tried this, and if so, have they gotten good results? I guess im bulking, but I'd rather see slow progress and avoid gaining fat.

  2. Registered User
    jumpshot903's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,384
    Rep Power
    12045

    use caisen protein or however you spell it it like cottage cheese it realeases over like 8 hours or so slow realease protein im spelling bad tonight lol but thats the best thing to do a good example is cottage cheese.
  3. Registered User
    nunes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    PORTO/PORTUGAL
    Age
    38
    Posts
    1,528
    Rep Power
    1316

    I take dymatize elite 12h because I sleep at least 8 hours and that's a lot of time without feeding the muscles, I don't get thinner but I don't think it makes me fat also.
    if growth its an objective I think that feed before bed its a must , to get cut like a model(gay body IMO), skip it
    •   
       

  4. Registered User
    ryaroberts's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    houston
    Age
    30
    Posts
    610
    Rep Power
    388

    Quote Originally Posted by nunes View Post
    I take dymatize elite 12h because I sleep at least 8 hours and that's a lot of time without feeding the muscles, I don't get thinner but I don't think it makes me fat also.
    if growth its an objective I think that feed before bed its a must , to get cut like a model(gay body IMO), skip it
    i use the same. its my very last meal before bed (9pm). two scoops, 8 oz skim milk, 6 oz water. after i have two tbsp of peanut butter (separate from shake).
  5. Registered User
    sportsfan4110's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  208 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Eddy, TX
    Age
    25
    Posts
    77
    Rep Power
    112

    yea i use the dymatize 12 hour protein to and its awesome, just not sure if it really does stay in your system for 12 hours but it does the job. I usually have it about an hour before i go to bed, gotta let it digest a little. Ive done this for a long time now and i havent gained much fat. Doesnt really matter when u eat, just remember calories in vs. calories out.
  6. Registered User
    Harry Manback's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  195 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Connecticut
    Age
    28
    Posts
    1,203
    Rep Power
    735

    Quote Originally Posted by wbted23 View Post
    I guess im bulking, but I'd rather see slow progress and avoid gaining fat.
    At 5'11 - 152 lbs, I'd say you should definently imbibe a casein shake, some FF cottage cheese and a couple scoops natty PB before bed. Gain some mass, worry about getting fat later.
  7. Registered User
    Nacho1545's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  173 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Hamilton Square, NJ
    Age
    27
    Posts
    138
    Rep Power
    147

    ON Casein is the way to go.. I take 1 scoop before bed and I wake up without the fatigue and soreness I used to have... I did this while on my bulk and even now when I am cutting..

    I have to agree with the above post.. Calories in vs Calories out..
  8. Registered User
    Cinn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Houston
    Age
    29
    Posts
    184
    Rep Power
    452

    Quote Originally Posted by wbted23 View Post
    In general, I try not to eat anything before bed since you dont digest it well and its easier to gain fat this way
    That's a common misconception.
  9. Registered User
    captainbicept's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    227
    Rep Power
    256

    I personally drink a whey/cassein blend before bed.
    I use 25 grams whey protein isolate, 25 grams cassein, and 16 ounces 1% milk.
    I like optimum nutrition's chocolate cassein protein.
    It tastes good and is reasonably priced.
    Additionally adding whey makes the shake taste better because cassein by itself is not very palatable.
  10. Registered User
    mw525's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Age
    24
    Posts
    161
    Rep Power
    149

    you want evidence??? think about if during the day you just stopped eating for eight hours...you need no evidence its really just common sense...i use elite 12 hour which has egg whey caisen soy milk everything...you need to feed those mucsles while you sleep to prevent catabolism...cutting or bulking will just depend on what type of shake it is
  11. Banned
    Jda777's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  191 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    197
    Rep Power
    0

    I am cutting. I am losing fat and maintaining muscle. I do not drink a shake before bed. I just drink 5-10 g of BCAAs instead.

    I would drink a shake before bed when bulking - if cutting, do so at your own risk. May hurt you, may not...but my formula is working, so I'm not gonna change it.
  12. Registered User
    Harry Manback's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  195 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Connecticut
    Age
    28
    Posts
    1,203
    Rep Power
    735

    Quote Originally Posted by captainbicept View Post
    Additionally adding whey makes the shake taste better because cassein by itself is not very palatable.
    I beg to differ. ON cookies n creme casein on its own is quite pleasing. It is a rare day however I get to experience this as it is typically coupled with a scoop of BCAAs and this in turn creates a lesser than desired taste, yet still consumable. An aquired taste if you will.
  13. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    SwolenONE's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  240 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    4,110
    Rep Power
    932059

    SAN Infusion before bed is the best option IMO
    Molecular Nutrition - Unlevel The Field
    X-Factor: THE Most Scientifically Valid Muscle Builder, Ever!
    Sign up for INSANE deals via our newsletter: www.mninsider.com
  14. Registered User
    svthidef's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  182 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    il
    Age
    29
    Posts
    26
    Rep Power
    81

    ya i heard cucumbers are good right before bedtime cause they keep your metabolisim cranking through the night.
  15. Registered User
    John Smeton's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Age
    33
    Posts
    10,017
    Rep Power
    33557

    yeah listen to these guys. you need protein whenever your awake pretty much if you want to grow. every 2-3 hours..if you do wake up during sleep this is the perfect opportunity to slam down a protein shake.
    Follow me on facebook, twitter and youtube, where I share information and videos to help you achieve your physique goals, John Smeton Ftness
  16. Registered User
    getbigbyjune's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  185 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    miami
    Posts
    104
    Rep Power
    118

    lol well at 5'11 152 i wouldn't worry about the fat man cause that's kinda what you want. the reason why and it said this on my muscle milk when i had before i stopped,you take it before bead because when you sleep your body goes into a catalytic state. You need to gain all the nutrients before you go to bed so your body can use that while you are asleep. Also, if your doing sports, get off muscle milk cause ncaa deems it illegal because it uses breast milk which according to them is a source of a steroid so thats why i stopped.
    later
  17. Registered User
    buster0371's Avatar
    Stats
    5'7"  169 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Age
    26
    Posts
    1,831
    Rep Power
    985

    fat doesnt make you fat, too many calories makes you fat.

    If you dont have enough good fat in your diet, your testosterone levels will suffer!
  18. Registered User
    John Smeton's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Age
    33
    Posts
    10,017
    Rep Power
    33557

    Quote Originally Posted by buster0371 View Post
    fat doesnt make you fat, too many calories makes you fat.

    If you dont have enough good fat in your diet, your testosterone levels will suffer!
    twenty percent in fact. (its really 18 % I say 20 to be always on the safe side)
    Follow me on facebook, twitter and youtube, where I share information and videos to help you achieve your physique goals, John Smeton Ftness
  19. UKStrength
    Guest
    UKStrength's Avatar

    Quote Originally Posted by smeton_yea View Post
    twenty percent in fact. (its really 18 % I say 20 to be always on the safe side)
    Also the type of fat matters.

    I'd say eat the majority from monounsaturated, omega-3 fats and (quality) saturated fat sources (e.g. organic eggs, coconut oil, grass fed beef, wild meats).

    Polyunsaturated fats are given too much credit IMO.
  20. Registered User
    Rick28's Avatar
    Stats
    5'7"  142 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Age
    34
    Posts
    411
    Rep Power
    280

    Quote Originally Posted by sportsfan4110 View Post
    Doesnt really matter when u eat, just remember calories in vs. calories out.
    You are right.
  21. NutraPlanet Rep
    Board Sponsor
    MrBigPR's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    7,619
    Rep Power
    5553

    Quote Originally Posted by getbigbyjune View Post
    lol well at 5'11 152 i wouldn't worry about the fat man cause that's kinda what you want. the reason why and it said this on my muscle milk when i had before i stopped,you take it before bead because when you sleep your body goes into a catalytic state. You need to gain all the nutrients before you go to bed so your body can use that while you are asleep. Also, if your doing sports, get off muscle milk cause ncaa deems it illegal because it uses breast milk which according to them is a source of a steroid so thats why i stopped.
    later
    so they line up bunches of lactating women to produce muscle milk instead of feed their babies? Thats wrong info.

    They "may" contain some IGF-1, and even so you would have to take 15 shakes or more a day for even the most minute trace to be detectable. Get your facts straight. If breast milk was that bad, why do newborns take it?
  22. Registered User
    Harry Manback's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  195 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Connecticut
    Age
    28
    Posts
    1,203
    Rep Power
    735

    Quote Originally Posted by UKStrength View Post
    Also the type of fat matters.

    I'd say eat the majority from monounsaturated, omega-3 fats and (quality) saturated fat sources (e.g. organic eggs, coconut oil, grass fed beef, wild meats).

    Polyunsaturated fats are given too much credit IMO.
    Where does ground bison stand in the face of health?
  23. UKStrength
    Guest
    UKStrength's Avatar

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Manback View Post
    Where does ground bison stand in the face of health?
    If it's wild bison, it'll already be pretty lean anyway (depending on the cut) so high in protein and low in fat.

    However, the grass-based diet means the fat on the meat will have a higher DHA content (omega-3) than it's farm-reared, corn-fed brethren, making it an exceptionally healthy choice for bolognese!
  24. Registered User
    Broodstar's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  225 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Earth
    Age
    31
    Posts
    479
    Rep Power
    305

    Probalic SR is good taste awesome. Cassien is also what you need or maybe something like Syntha-6. Good luck.
  25. UKStrength
    Guest
    UKStrength's Avatar

    Quote Originally Posted by Broodstar View Post
    Probalic SR is good taste awesome. Cassien is also what you need or maybe something like Syntha-6. Good luck.
    I used to enjoy Optimum Nutrition 100% Casein protein years ago (the chocolate flavour was pretty amazing), but these days cottage cheese does the trick and is much cheaper.
  26. Registered User
    Broodstar's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  225 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Earth
    Age
    31
    Posts
    479
    Rep Power
    305

    Quote Originally Posted by UKStrength View Post
    I used to enjoy Optimum Nutrition 100% Casein protein years ago (the chocolate flavour was pretty amazing), but these days cottage cheese does the trick and is much cheaper.
    Yup if you dont want to buy the shakes I agree food is the most anabolic as it gets so yeah if you like cottage cheese I would buy it. I got 2 tubs in my fridge I eat at night.
  27. UKStrength
    Guest
    UKStrength's Avatar

    Quote Originally Posted by Broodstar View Post
    Yup if you dont want to buy the shakes I agree food is the most anabolic as it gets so yeah if you like cottage cheese I would buy it. I got 2 tubs in my fridge I eat at night.
    Yeah it was back when I first started training (8 years ago, crikey!), more supps than proper nutrition!
  28. Registered User
    Harry Manback's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  195 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Connecticut
    Age
    28
    Posts
    1,203
    Rep Power
    735

    Quote Originally Posted by Broodstar View Post
    Yup if you dont want to buy the shakes I agree food is the most anabolic as it gets so yeah if you like cottage cheese I would buy it. I got 2 tubs in my fridge I eat at night.
    My new name for you is Tubs
  29. Registered User
    Harry Manback's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  195 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Connecticut
    Age
    28
    Posts
    1,203
    Rep Power
    735

    Quote Originally Posted by UKStrength View Post
    If it's wild bison, it'll already be pretty lean anyway (depending on the cut) so high in protein and low in fat.

    However, the grass-based diet means the fat on the meat will have a higher DHA content (omega-3) than it's farm-reared, corn-fed brethren, making it an exceptionally healthy choice for bolognese!
    Hmm. I feel as if I should be supplementing on grass myself.
  30. Registered User
    Broodstar's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  225 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Earth
    Age
    31
    Posts
    479
    Rep Power
    305

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Manback View Post
    My new name for you is Tubs
    Hahaha lol yeah I got tubs of almost everything lol shock theraphy protein casseine, hateraid you name it I got it lol
  31. Registered User
    Harry Manback's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  195 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Connecticut
    Age
    28
    Posts
    1,203
    Rep Power
    735

    Quote Originally Posted by Broodstar View Post
    Hahaha lol yeah I got tubs of almost everything lol shock theraphy protein casseine, hateraid you name it I got it lol
    I just think it's funny because I have a fat friend that I also call Tubs.

    You are Bizzaro Tubs.
  32. Registered User
    Stallion83's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    In your moms house bitch
    Posts
    467
    Rep Power
    300

    So harry manback I found this in your high school senior pics is has to be you bud

  33. Registered User
    hardknock's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  185 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    3,179
    Rep Power
    18652

    Quote Originally Posted by MrBigPR View Post
    so they line up bunches of lactating women to produce muscle milk instead of feed their babies? Thats wrong info.

    They "may" contain some IGF-1, and even so you would have to take 15 shakes or more a day for even the most minute trace to be detectable. Get your facts straight. If breast milk was that bad, why do newborns take it?
    I think he's saying that the NCAA has deemed it a viable source of illegal consumption. I do not know this to be true as I have worked with quite a few collegiate athletes and have NEVER heard of this. Although I am not in the "official loop" so it may be true or just horse sh!t
    ---The destruction of my enemies is to make them my friends---
  34. Registered User
    Harry Manback's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  195 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Connecticut
    Age
    28
    Posts
    1,203
    Rep Power
    735

    Quote Originally Posted by Stallion83 View Post
    So harry manback I found this in your high school senior pics is has to be you bud

    No that's one of my spread shot photos when I was selling my body for sex. You have the cut off photo. I'll send ya the full body spread if ya want.
  35. Registered User
    Broodstar's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  225 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Earth
    Age
    31
    Posts
    479
    Rep Power
    305

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Manback View Post
    No that's one of my spread shot photos when I was selling my body for sex. You have the cut off photo. I'll send ya the full body spread if ya want.
    Ahahaha im good u can give it to the guy who started this thread lol. Maybe that will be his nighttime protein lol.
  36. Registered User
    getbigbyjune's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  185 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    miami
    Posts
    104
    Rep Power
    118

    look, i don't care what u think. when bgsu,ohio state, and michigan state, invited me to their camp they had a list of illegal substances that they gave us. And on it was muscle milk. they told us because it had a form of breast milk it was deemed illegal and if you were found using it u would be kicked off the team.
    (so they line up bunches of lactating women to produce muscle milk instead of feed their babies?)
    yah thats exactly what they ****ing do.
  37. Banned
    Jda777's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  191 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    197
    Rep Power
    0

    Quote Originally Posted by getbigbyjune View Post
    look, i don't care what u think. when bgsu,ohio state, and michigan state, invited me to their camp they had a list of illegal substances that they gave us. And on it was muscle milk. they told us because it had a form of breast milk it was deemed illegal and if you were found using it u would be kicked off the team.
    (so they line up bunches of lactating women to produce muscle milk instead of feed their babies?)
    yah thats exactly what they ****ing do.
    You are retarded.

    PLEASE EVERYONE KNOW THAT THEY ARE NOT MILKING WOMEN TO MAKE THIS PROTEIN. IT IS MODELED AFTER BREAST MILK AS FAR AS PROTEIN, FATS, ETC.... ARE CONCERNED.
  38. Registered User
    wbted23's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  153 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Age
    27
    Posts
    77
    Rep Power
    105

    haha, things got a little off topic here, but thanks for the advice all!

    Yea i know i need to gain weight, but i just want to stay lean for the summer more than i want to bulk up at the moment, so bulking isnt really a priority for me. i will prob try some cottage cheese or a casein protien shake tho, sounds good!
  39. NutraPlanet Rep
    Board Sponsor
    MrBigPR's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    7,619
    Rep Power
    5553

    Actually it contains forms of Bovine Colostrum.

    Getbigbyjune is just a kid.
  40. Registered User
    getbigbyjune's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  185 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    miami
    Posts
    104
    Rep Power
    118

    so the entire ncaa is a kid msu coaches are kids and ccha wcha and echa are all kids. cool
  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-31-2009, 12:37 PM
  2. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-13-2009, 07:24 PM
  3. too many protein shakes per day
    By mircle in forum Bulking
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 07-25-2008, 08:49 PM
  4. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-30-2008, 12:05 AM
  5. protein shakes and GAS
    By thegameoflife in forum Supplements
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 03-01-2004, 02:33 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in