Insomnia Help.

natty texan

natty texan

Awards
  • Established
I've suffered from insomnia my whole life. I've tried the prescriptions, but the problem with those is once they make me fall asleep i'm out for 15 hrs straight atleast.

Right now i'm taking melatonin and I've had decent results, nothing like the ones i had from it the first month i was taking it.

I tried zma about 2 years ago and it didn't do anything, but i'm thinking about stacking it with melatonin for better results now.

I was wondering if ya'll had tried any other supps that worked well?

T-AD

T-AD

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I used to have trouble sleeping - usually just shutting my brain off was impossible. (Sounds weird, but so am I...) Aaaanywho, melatonin was ok for me, but what REALLY helped me out, as well as my wife, my neighbor, and a few others I know, is Abyss from Nimbus Nutrition. I really do like that stuff and when I'm having a rough bump in my sleep cycle, I'll fall back on 2 caps of it before bed. It's definitely worth a shot. :)

natty texan

natty texan

Awards
  • Established
I used to have trouble sleeping - usually just shutting my brain off was impossible. (Sounds weird, but so am I...) Aaaanywho, melatonin was ok for me, but what REALLY helped me out, as well as my wife, my neighbor, and a few others I know, is Abyss from Nimbus Nutrition. I really do like that stuff and when I'm having a rough bump in my sleep cycle, I'll fall back on 2 caps of it before bed. It's definitely worth a shot. :)
i think ihave the same problem.

it's like my mind is racing.

thanks man i'll take a look at it.

ShiftyCapone

ShiftyCapone

Awards
  • Established
I've suffered from insomnia my whole life. I've tried the prescriptions, but the problem with those is once they make me fall asleep i'm out for 15 hrs straight atleast.

Right now i'm taking melatonin and I've had decent results, nothing like the ones i had from it the first month i was taking it.

I tried zma about 2 years ago and it didn't do anything, but i'm thinking about stacking it with melatonin for better results now.

I was wondering if ya'll had tried any other supps that worked well?
ZMA has never done anything for me as far as falling asleep is concerned.

Are you using the melatonin every night?

I've looked into supplements for help sleeping quite a bit myself. If taken regularly, most of them greatly decrease in effectiveness... So that's kinda the sh*tty part about them.

Have you ever tried GABA sublingually? Maybe you can try a few supplements on different nights so your body isn't getting too used to any one in particular.

natty texan

natty texan

Awards
  • Established
ZMA has never done anything for me as far as falling asleep is concerned.

Are you using the melatonin every night?

I've looked into supplements for help sleeping quite a bit myself. If taken regularly, most of them greatly decrease in effectiveness... So that's kinda the sh*tty party about them.

Have you looked into trying GABA sublingually?
i've seen Gaba thrown around a few times. I don't really know what it is. I'll do some googling.

and yeah i've been taking 6 mg's of melatonin every night.

Stallion83

Stallion83

Awards
  • Established
5htp,melatonin,valerian root, Ambien,Lunesta,sominex.

T-AD

T-AD

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
i think ihave the same problem.

it's like my mind is racing.

thanks man i'll take a look at it.
Yup, noisy brain disease. It's a bane of the intelligent...or atleast the insane. But don't worry, I'm sure you'll grow out of it or they'll just lock you up in a nice fuzzy room where you can sleep all you want after the meds kick in. :trout: Just messin with ya!!

Careful with melatonin. You can OD on it a bit and it'll have the reverse effect. The body also gets used to it decently quick, too. I've done it for a month and then stopped as it lost effectiveness. I've done Abyss for up to 2 months with no real drop in efficacy.

Other than that, Valerian root is the only other thing I've tried for sleep. I ALWAYS get the most insane dreams with that stuff, which is highly unusual because I never really remember my dreams and doubt that I dream that much. ;) 2 HyperdrolX2 before bed helps me sleep well, too. So if you're into the muscle-building and estrogen-blocking aisle of the local supp-grocer, it's a thought...

natty texan

natty texan

Awards
  • Established
how exactly do i take it sublingualy? just stick the powder under my tongue??

natty texan

natty texan

Awards
  • Established
Yup, noisy brain disease. It's a bane of the intelligent...or atleast the insane. But don't worry, I'm sure you'll grow out of it or they'll just lock you up in a nice fuzzy room where you can sleep all you want after the meds kick in. :trout: Just messin with ya!!

Careful with melatonin. You can OD on it a bit and it'll have the reverse effect. The body also gets used to it decently quick, too. I've done it for a month and then stopped as it lost effectiveness. I've done Abyss for up to 2 months with no real drop in efficacy.

Other than that, Valerian root is the only other thing I've tried for sleep. I ALWAYS get the most insane dreams with that stuff, which is highly unusual because I never really remember my dreams and doubt that I dream that much. ;) 2 HyperdrolX2 before bed helps me sleep well, too. So if you're into the muscle-building and estrogen-blocking aisle of the local supp-grocer, it's a thought...
blah i'm 19.

gotta stay away from the hormone affecting supps

ShiftyCapone

ShiftyCapone

Awards
  • Established
how exactly do i take it sublingualy? just stick the powder under my tongue??
You just answered the question yourself....

~1.5g taken 10-20 min. before bed should suffice. Knocks me right out. BUT if I'm up doing some things and I miss that initial "knockout." Then I'm screwed....

natty texan

natty texan

Awards
  • Established

~1.5g taken 10-20 min. before bed should suffice. Knocks me right out. BUT if I'm up doing some things and I miss that initial "knockout." Then I'm screwed....
so is it like my sublingual vitamins?

leave it there for 2 minutes then swallow the rest?

delsolrob

delsolrob

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar

this is the same problem I have with 1-c...if I do anything and I miss the window then I'm never going to sleep :(

there are a lot of people on here that have this same issue.

To the OP, just remember that you can't use any remedy every night or you'll stop to see the benefits from it pretty fast. I use 1-c on week nights only...when I need to be up for work.

natty texan

natty texan

Awards
  • Established
this is the same problem I have with 1-c...if I do anything and I miss the window then I'm never going to sleep :(

there are a lot of people on here that have this same issue.

To the OP, just remember that you can't use any remedy every night or you'll stop to see the benefits from it pretty fast. I use 1-c on week nights only...when I need to be up for work.
yeah i'm actually looking at several things right now (that i just learned about thatnks to this thread) to continually cycle, 5-htp, melatonin, valerian root, and gaba. although i just read a thing that says gaba can help the body produce more gh, so i may use it as a base just for that. (i'm all about natural boost at my age :burnout:)

pmiller383

pmiller383

Awards
  • Established
Dude, you have to ween yourself down on the melatonin. If you keep running it that high consistently you may end up having some serious problems down the road. Honestly I wouldn't recommend taking any sleep supplement consistently, but with melatonin I don't really see it being beneficial in the long run if you are taking it more than a few times a week. There are some good supplements out right now that will help you get better sleep; some examples would be Abyss by Nimbus, Knockout (i believe is the name) by Scivation, and ofcourse Bullet Proof by Muscle Pharm. For the most part I have found that powders seem to work the best mainly because pills take to long to digest. If you are interested in the Bullet Proof by Muscle Pharm let me know and I will answer any questions you may have.

delsolrob

delsolrob

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I'll vouch for bulletproof too! great sleep and recovery!

natty texan

natty texan

Awards
  • Established
Dude, you have to ween yourself down on the melatonin. If you keep running it that high consistently you may end up having some serious problems down the road. Honestly I wouldn't recommend taking any sleep supplement consistently, but with melatonin I don't really see it being beneficial in the long run if you are taking it more than a few times a week. There are some good supplements out right now that will help you get better sleep; some examples would be Abyss by Nimbus, Knockout (i believe is the name) by Scivation, and ofcourse Bullet Proof by Muscle Pharm. For the most part I have found that powders seem to work the best mainly because pills take to long to digest. If you are interested in the Bullet Proof by Muscle Pharm let me know and I will answer any questions you may have.
if you don't mind me asking, what exactly can happen from too much melatonin?

i only ask because i talked to my doc before i went on it, and he said it was fine.

delsolrob

delsolrob

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
it's important for you to understand that melatonin is a hormone...anytime you "supplement" a hormone in your body you throw your endocryne system off balance and cause suppression and there's always the potential of some sort of rebound.

and just like any other chemical or hormone, if you entroduce too much of it, then you have the potential of downregulating your receptors. (example: too many stims leading to adrenal fatigue)

natty texan

natty texan

Awards
  • Established
so some time off would be ideal.

i've been on it for far too long then.

blah i do stupid things some times.

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
bro idk ur schedule or if ur in college working etc...

but try getting ur **** done in the morning wether its ur job homework etc.. go to the gym at night take a pre workout kill ur workout come home take a warm shower turn on some espn on ur tv on a timer and pass out bro.

this is gonna sound kinda gay but no matter how bad of a day u had so many ppl have it worse. ur passions working out u get that done hopefully had a good workout lay in bed watchin tv just fall asleep. and the crash from the pre workout would deff help ;)

natty texan

natty texan

Awards
  • Established
oh dude i'm not complaining about having bad days or anything. in fact i'm quite happy with finally being able to go to the gym again.

I just have chronic insomnia. i was born with it. i've dealt with it my whole life.

I pmed pmiller about bullet proof.

it definitely looks quality

bigdave

bigdave

Awards
i too have suffered insomnnia my whole life, tried everything..prescription and herbal, valerian root or htp is good juss leaves me overly groggy same with all the prescrips like ambien lunesta xanex etc. gettin myself in a perfect sleep cycle works somewhat but my schedule is never really "set".. im NOT trying to condone anything but speaking out of personal preference a small amount of cannabis before bed quites down the mouse spinning in my head when i lay in bed, not sure if it is legal in ur state but if so its in my opinion the best thing out there especially in its ability to give me a good amount of sleep with not any morning grogginess (unless it is abused of course)

majinbijiita

majinbijiita

Awards
The most important thing I think is sleep hygiene/pattern.

Sleep at the same time every night, even weekends. Try to wake up about the same time without setting an alarm. (or set one for outside your normal waking time. e.g 7am if you usually get up 6:30-6:50am)

No stimulants after 5pm, or really...more like 12pm. At least for me. No bright lights, loud music, too much movement, or things that can excite you 2 hours before bed.

Take ZMA, take melatonin for a few days to get you back on a schedule if you need it, but no longer than that at a time.

Etc.etc.

Narcotics don't help really. I was put on xanax for chronic insomnia...and I would still wake up in the middle of the night...to binge eat, which is kinda weird. And it's not natural sleep, which is so much better for you.

natty texan

natty texan

Awards
  • Established
meh...

after months of heavy dosing melatonin (which was stupid in retrospect, i should have done research but my dad bought it for me and i took and it worked) i'm going down.

i'm pretty much wide awake right now.

nattydisaster

nattydisaster

PESCIENCE.com
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Not sure if this has been said yet, but have you tried the new X-Dream formula? A buddy of mine has stopped his ambien and just takes 2 x-dream 1-2 hours before bed.

natty texan

natty texan

Awards
  • Established
Not sure if this has been said yet, but have you tried the new X-Dream formula? A buddy of mine has stopped his ambien and just takes 2 x-dream 1-2 hours before bed.
i have not...

i'm ordering a sample of bullet proof right now.

i'll look into x-dream though

subweevil

subweevil

Awards
  • Established
First, I'd see if there's an underlying cause, big fan of treating the cause, not the symptoms. Second, if every things in order, try the MST special going on right now for the sleep stack. Good luck!!

tribaltek

tribaltek

All Traps - No Tris
Awards
  • Established
3mg melatonin & 200mg 5-HTP puts me right out...