looking for help to get started.

Jheadley21

Awards
Hello folks, i am new here, just getting started. I am getting ready to enlist in the reserves and want to get pumped up before i go. i am 31 yrs old 5'11" and 166 lbs. I need to bulk up a bit (185-190) and would like to increase my stamina as much as possible. (need to run 2 miles with 65lb. ruck sack in under 17min.@166lbs:scared:)I deliver gas at night and keep hearing on the radio this add from a new store in Bloomington Normal Illinois about 2-winn-x. supposed to be the **** i guess. I called and asked the rep there about it and he gave me a price, but said to come in. decided to investigate further, but this site is pretty much all that i have found. anyway my question is can anyone help direct me down the right path. i want to learn as much as possible before i do anything. i have heard all kinds of horror stories. i just want to do the best i can, and if there is something out there that can help boost my stamina and gains, than i greatly appreciate it. I guess i really need a educated person to somewhat guide me through training and be a big brother. any recommendations?
Thanks,
J. Headley

bigironkiller

Banned
Awards
  • Established
My advice would be to stay awya from that product. I dont know exactly what it is but it could be a prosteroid.prohormone. Your diet needs to full of healthy foods getting in good carbs about 200g protein and healthy fats(20-30g/day). Find a BMR calculator on the net, just google it and find out how much daily calories you need to consume and then add 500-800 more, this will help you gain weight. Just dont eat alot of **** though, keep it healthy. The best supplements you could take for your health and what you said your goals are would be creatine and cordygen VO2. I would reccomend you take a look at: www.nutraplanet.com a board sponser on here and order a good creatine product(San V-12 Turbo did me good) and MST Cordygen VO2( this will help with cardio). As to training a simple 5X5 routine would give some good strength gains, leading to more size. I would try and train with weights 3X/wk working on compound movemnets. Bench/DB bench, Squats, Dead lifts, those should be your base compound movements that you work on three seperate days. Here is a ultra simple sample routine: Im doing this quickly so sorry if its not perfect

Monday:
Bench: 5X5(find a weight you can press 5 times but still struggle and move from there adding poundage each week)
tricep exercises: 5setsX10 reps
db shoulder press: 5X6
db rows: 5X5 go heavy on these
Abdominal work
Wednesday:
Squat: 5X5( again work up to a weight you can do)
leg press: 5X10
calf raises: 5X10
DB lunges: do till exhaustion
Friday:
Dead lift: 5X3( dont do more than 3 reps when going heavy as you could injure your back if your form breaks down)
db shrugs: 5X10
db rows: 5X5 heavy

This is just a quick rundown of a workout Ive used before ill try and post a more official one later. Hope this helps...... Also be sure to continue cardio 5X/week and trying to run longer and add distance every week. If you want to pratice what its like with a ruck you can buy weighted vest online.......

ljustman

Awards
Hello folks, i am new here, just getting started. I am getting ready to enlist in the reserves and want to get pumped up before i go. i am 31 yrs old 5'11" and 166 lbs. I need to bulk up a bit (185-190) and would like to increase my stamina as much as possible. (need to run 2 miles with 65lb. ruck sack in under 17min.@166lbs:scared:)I deliver gas at night and keep hearing on the radio this add from a new store in Bloomington Normal Illinois about 2-winn-x. supposed to be the **** i guess. I called and asked the rep there about it and he gave me a price, but said to come in. decided to investigate further, but this site is pretty much all that i have found. anyway my question is can anyone help direct me down the right path. i want to learn as much as possible before i do anything. i have heard all kinds of horror stories. i just want to do the best i can, and if there is something out there that can help boost my stamina and gains, than i greatly appreciate it. I guess i really need a educated person to somewhat guide me through training and be a big brother. any recommendations?
Thanks,
J. Headley
Who told you that you have to run two miles with a 65lbs ruck in under 17 mins? I'm in the National Guard, we do our basic training through the same places and alongside the army reserves and Active Army. I would strongly recomend focusing on strength and both cardio and muscular endurance more than just size. I went through basic about two years ago and the vast majority of the stuff we did was either cardio or workouts involving your own body weight. You have to carry a ruck and body armor everywhere you go, but I would consider that more endurance than anything. One thing is more sure, if you slack on cardio I guarantee it will hurt you far worse than if you slack in weight training. You should aim for being able to run two miles in less than 14 mins. at a minimum. Here's my advice on where to start....
First you need to get your diet, lifting, and cardio schedule in order. Your schedule is going to vary on how long you have before you ship. If you have a long time you could go the route of putting on some size and strength then switch your focus to cardio. I say that because its harder to gain muscle when you are burning up calories doing cardio that could be goin to building muscle. Diet should include 2 grams of protein per pound of body weight to maximize muscle and strength gains. From there I would add a protein supplement and a multi vitamin at the very least. From there you could look into pre supplement supplements like NO Explode and Tacked3D to maximize your workouts. I would also seriously consider adding muscle volumizing Creatine. I normally take it post workout. If you really want to spend a lot you could get into Pro hormones(PHs). PHs generally are supplements that adjust your natural hormone production to maximize muscle gain. If you are new to PHs, I would be very cautious about them. If you take a PH it will be neccesary to take others to level out the effects, minimize possible side effects, and return your body's hormone levels to normal. If you want more on PHs, say so, I'd be glad to get a little more specific.

Jheadley21

Awards
My friend has been in for 8 years and just resigned. he is the one that told me the requirements. if you dont do it you can still pass,....but you will not advance in rank as fast. I also have an older cousin that is a lifer and been in for 19 years. I just want to be the best i can be and more. like i said i am 31 and dont care to have an 18yr old Squad Leader. if it works that way so be it, but i want the position, so i need to prepare for and earn it!! i am doing 2 miles in 17:30 now so I guess I have some work to do. need 50 push-ups and sit-ups minimum in 2 minute drills as well. this should be easily attainable as i am at 47/45. but the best score possible is 77/83 in 2 minutes. that is my ideal, long term target goal. i have 70-90 days....on the delayed entry. I appreciate the fast responses and all the help. I would like to know more about PH and a good COMPLETE and HEALTHY program to follow. I run everyday(usually take sundays off, but not always) pushing 100x10 then x8 then 110x5 after perfect push-up routine of 20-12-8reps in regular-wide-close position. i do sit ups in the same reps and push to get it done in 2 mins but still slacking.
thanks again,

J Headley

Stallion83

Stallion83

Awards
  • Established

There ya go hope this helps. Remember if the product says a logo above then its always good to start with = D

Jheadley21

Awards
so how does the ph work anyhow. you take the cycle, then at the end you take the balance stuff for the estrogen??? or do you take it at the same time?

bigironkiller

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Well im guessing you just want a quick gain,although I still strongly reccommend you go the natural route, so ill try and explain. The PS/PH I would go with is Epistane. It is generally run at 30mg for 4wks and gains can vary from 6-12 lbs if you eat above maintanence calories. You need to be sure and get 2grams protein/pound body weight and plenty of carbs approxamately 200-400grams, and healthy fats 20-30grams/day. As far as after the cycle I would run Thermo Life liver support, Anabolic Innovation Cycle support(both precycle and after cycle). As far as estrogen control ALRI Restore is a solid product, but so is ErgoPharm 6-0X0, these are run after the cycle of epistane. These estrogen products are OTC products and alot would still say to have a SERM on hand, but to each his own.....remember this is a prosteroid and it can have side effetcs, use it safely and do me a favor. reseach on this site for a week and read about the product and how to use it.. then make your decision.

ljustman

Awards
My friend has been in for 8 years and just resigned. he is the one that told me the requirements. if you dont do it you can still pass,....but you will not advance in rank as fast. I also have an older cousin that is a lifer and been in for 19 years. I just want to be the best i can be and more. like i said i am 31 and dont care to have an 18yr old Squad Leader. if it works that way so be it, but i want the position, so i need to prepare for and earn it!! i am doing 2 miles in 17:30 now so I guess I have some work to do. need 50 push-ups and sit-ups minimum in 2 minute drills as well. this should be easily attainable as i am at 47/45. but the best score possible is 77/83 in 2 minutes. that is my ideal, long term target goal. i have 70-90 days....on the delayed entry. I appreciate the fast responses and all the help. I would like to know more about PH and a good COMPLETE and HEALTHY program to follow. I run everyday(usually take sundays off, but not always) pushing 100x10 then x8 then 110x5 after perfect push-up routine of 20-12-8reps in regular-wide-close position. i do sit ups in the same reps and push to get it done in 2 mins but still slacking.
thanks again,

J Headley
Are you sure all the people you are talking about are Army and not another branch like Navy, Airforce, or Marines? The Army encompasses the Army, Army Reserves, and National Guard. The National Guard answers to the state in which it's located, but ultimately, all three are under the general command of the Department of The Army. They are governed by the exact same rules (with additional ones for National Guard because they answer to the State as well). All three have the exact same rank sytem, exact same training, exact same structure at all unit levels, have exact same specialties, and have the exact same ways and standards of testing people on all things, including physical fitness. The standard test for the army is two minutes of pushups, 2 minutes of sit-ups, and a 2 mile run. No other form of testing physical fitness is authorized. This is simply a test to enter and stay in the Army and what you need in each category differs by how old you are. For ex... I'm 21, I need 54 sit-ups, 48 push-ups, and run 2 miles in less than 15:45. What does change is requirements for different jobs or specialties you want. For example, I'm a medic, I'm required to maintain a current EMT license. Another is when you go to Ranger school you have to complete a 35 Mile ruck march in a given time.

As far as Rank goes, if you enlist you will surely be outranked by many, many people younger than you. Age has nothing to do with rank. With good performance you can achieve rank faster, but the physical test is only part of it, in fact it is generally an accepted standard that to move up in rank quickly you must get a nearly or perfect score. There are an enormous number of factors that come into play when they consider you for promotion including Rifle Qualification score, time in combat zone, length of time at current position, qualifications that set you apart from others such as Army leadership programs, and many others. You can accelerate your promotions only to a given point. For example the lowest four enlisted ranks are E1-E4 (E4 is higher). when being considered for promotion from E3 to E4 you need at least 6 months in as an E3 and have at least 2 years spent in the Army total. So no matter how amazing of a soldier you are, you won't get promoted faster than this. With certainty I can say that you will spend at least 2-3 years in before you are considered for a team leader position. In reality, it will be longer, most reserve/guard units don't promote as fast.

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
i am 31 yrs old 5'11" and 166 lbs. I need to bulk up a bit (185-190) and would like to increase my stamina as much as possible. (need to run 2 miles with 65lb. ruck sack in under 17min.@166lbs:scared:)
i don't know if your goal is realistic. running 2 miles with a 65 pound rucksack may sound hard now, but how much harder will it be when you weigh 20 more pounds? that's seriously abusing your knees.

if i were in your shoes (which i'm not), i would focus on getting that run down. first off, running with that weight will add some good size to you all on its own - farmers walks do, and that's just walking around with weights. once you get the run down, then slowly bulk up while making sure you can still hit the designated time limit.

whose idea is it that running with 65 pounds of gear is normal? navy seals? rangers? just curious.

bigironkiller

Banned
Awards
  • Established
i don't know if your goal is realistic. running 2 miles with a 65 pound rucksack may sound hard now, but how much harder will it be when you weigh 20 more pounds? that's seriously abusing your knees.

if i were in your shoes (which i'm not), i would focus on getting that run down. first off, running with that weight will add some good size to you all on its own - farmers walks do, and that's just walking around with weights. once you get the run down, then slowly bulk up while making sure you can still hit the designated time limit.

whose idea is it that running with 65 pounds of gear is normal? navy seals? rangers? just curious.
Id say I have to agree with suncloud. I have been in the military and done the rucksack run, its killer. Like i said about not using a PH focus on running faster and longer and work a simple weight lifting program. Once in the military you will ultimately lose weight anyways...

ljustman

Awards

There ya go hope this helps. Remember if the product says a logo above then its always good to start with = D
I would strongly advise against prohormones at your present strength, I think you can make significant gains through the proper use of Protein, a pre-workout supp, and some creatine. I don't mean to be a jerk, but many times, when people are newer to lifting they haven't figured out how to diet and lift properly yet, if you don't have that all the steroids in the world won't help. I use myself as an example, when I was a junior in HS I came on here looking for an easy way to get jacked and wanted PHs. The overwhelming response was that it wasn't a good idea and that I could still get amazing gains naturally. I ended up listening to them and continued experimenting with my workout plans, diet, and threw in a little creatine. It took some work, but eventually I figured out what worked for my body and started getting some great results without PHs. If you have never used any of those then there is no reason to jump all the way to PHs right away. Learning how to use these other supps sets you up with a good base of knowledge for the use of PHs. I also don't think you have time to run a cycle of PHs and then have time to get back into cardio. At the very least it takes probably 6-8 weeks for a PH cycle. The PH itself takes 4 or so normally and if you do the PH you Absolutely MUST do a Post Cycle Therapy(PCT). If you don't you risk many devastating, possibly permanant problems, like decreased testosterone levels, gynecomastia (development of breasts), decreased size of testicles, hairloss, and more.If you are going to invest the money, you have to invest the time. I think there is a general agreement of people at this site that more than a little cardio during that type of cycle isn't advisable because you are taking calories away from building muscle due to your cardio.

You said you had 70-90 days right? In that time, even the most experienced guy here with a perfect plan and insanely stromg PHs would be hard pressed to put on 20-25 lbs of muscle. A more realistic goal, especially if you are doing cardio too, is 10 or so.

Jheadley21

Awards
i appreciate all the help. first, lets keep the army out of this for now as agreement to disagree and to refrain from ruining the thread. I am not big on the roids after some reading in here. too much going on with chemicals in the body and i am not educated enough to take that step concerning the risks involved. I just stopped to fill up my truck with diesel and on the counter in the store was 3 boxes of powerbars for 50cents each. 1 box had the 23 grams protein powerbars. 1 triple threat 9gram and 1 choclate brwnie 10gram,... needless to say i bought them all(outdated by 4 days...big deal) what is your take on the powerbars,...besides the taste. I am sifting throught he high protein foods now and setting up a strict diet plan with my wife. i am goin the all natural route to see what we can accomplish here. i was thinking of ordering the Creatine Monohydrate (1 Kilo) By: Ultimate Nutrition

and some Muscle Juice (10.45 lb)
By: Ultimate Nutrition
i am not sure what the other stuff previously mentioned was for... :MST Cordygen VO2 (this will help with cardio)posted by bigironkiller can you explain more about this?? also, i could not find this product on the site. i found the San V-12 Turbo, but read on here that mono was the way to go. please throw me some feedback on what you think.