B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Flax Seed Information

Flax seed is what is commonly known as linseed. It is being harvested all over the world. From a very long time, people have been using it, primarily as a digestion aid. In the recent times, science has revealed about the potential benefits it may offer apart from aiding in digestion.

Flax Seed and Cholesterol

Omega 3 fatty acids are a main constituent of flax seeds. And it is well known that omega 3 fatty acids are vital in keeping your heart healthy. Flax seeds and their benefits in treating cholesterol are all over the media.

The Omega-3 content can help lower LDL (the bad cholesterol that clogs arteries) and help increase HDL (the good cholesterol that helps clean them).

Flax Seed Oil Information

Flax seed also exhibits anti-inflammatory properties, which may help a broad range of health conditions.

Flax seed oil also contains ALA fatty acids. This aids in a variety of good health conditions. However, the ALA in flax seed needs to be converted by your body to a long chain of Omega-3 fats. It is these Omega-3 fatty acids that are then employed by the body in a variety of ways, as mentioned above. The only drawback, however, is that people, who are already in poor health conditions can experience difficulty in effectively, converting the ALA to Omega-3 fats.

Hence, some experts recommend a rich source of Omega 3 fats rather than the flax seeds. Flax Seed Information

What are the good sources of Omega-3 Fatty Acids?

From the recent studies, we can gather that fish oil capsules are a great way to get your important Omega 3 fatty acids. Especially, fish from cold water are the best. The most important types of Omega 3 fatty acids are called DHA and EPA, which are abundant in cold water fish. The DHA and EPA in fish oils do not have to be converted by the body like the ALA in Flax, since they are already long-chain Omega-3 fats and are readily absorbed by the body.

We have found a pure pharmaceutical grade, molecularly distilled fish oil product that is naturally high in DHA and EPA.

Coming from the Hoki Fish Located on the pristine southern coasts of New Zealand, where the waters are extremely low in pollution and toxins. Discover the best fish oil product on the market today and the one we ourselves personally use. We recommend you learn more: Omega 3 Fish Oil

Jean Helmet is one of the editors for a series of health sites, We offer a free health book for subscribers to our websites newsletter. We cover everything you need to know on nutrition, as well as omega 3 nutrition, and how to improve your general overall health. Check out our nutrition health book for more information on our free featured book.

By: Jean Helmet

MrBigPR

MrBigPR

NutraPlanet Rep
Awards
  • Established
You continue to post good articles. THanks!

jdg487

jdg487

Awards
  • Established
Does flax seed have any effect on estrogen levels in the body?

BignBad

Awards
Does flax seed have any effect on estrogen levels in the body?
The jury is still out, but males should be careful with flax seed: there have been some links found with prostate cancer.

In addition, the conversion process of the body is quite inefficient and variable. Fish and fish oil have fantastic study results. Flax is much more dubious.

jdg487

jdg487

Awards
  • Established
The jury is still out, but males should be careful with flax seed: there have been some links found with prostate cancer.

In addition, the conversion process of the body is quite inefficient and variable. Fish and fish oil have fantastic study results. Flax is much more dubious.
Thanks for the info big, although I'm still real curious about the topic

Steveoph

Steveoph

NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Thanks for the info big, although I'm still real curious about the topic
Flax and even Soy are still not as well understood as I would like. Recently I've switched from Flax to Chia and prefer the latter, although I don't know if the price difference is justified. Salba also intrigues me.

Even the Prostate Cancer link isn't fully understood: See http://www.asco.org/portal/site/ASCO/menuitem.34d60f5624ba07fd506fe310ee37a01d/?vgnextoid=76f8201eb61a7010VgnVCM100000ed730ad1RCRD&vmview=abst_detail_view&confID=47&abstractID=36219

Background: Diet may play a key role in the etiology of prostate cancer (PC). Dietary fat restriction (DFR) and flaxseed supplementation (FS) may reduce risk, though results are mixed. We undertook an RCT to test the comparative effects of these dietary regimens on the biology of the prostate and other biomarkers. Methods: PC patients (N=161) scheduled > 21 days prior to prostatectomy were block randomized on race (black vs non-black) and biopsy Gleason sum (<7 vs 7+) to these diets: 1) control; 2) FS (30 g/day); 2) DFR (<20% total energy); or 4) FS+DFR. Blood was drawn upon accrual and prior to surgery and analyzed for prostate specific antigen (PSA), sex hormone binding globulin (SHBG), total testosterone (T), insulin-like growth factor 1 (IGF1), IGF binding protein 3 (IGFBP3), c- reactive protein (CRP), and total and low density lipoprotein cholesterol (TC & LDL-C). Proliferation (MIB-1) and apoptosis (TUNEL) was assessed in the malignant and benign prostate. Results: Complete data were collected on 93% of the sample; mean length on protocol was 30 days. Median MIB-1 positive (+) cells/total nuclei ratios were: 1=2.38;2=1.71;3=2.93;4=1.58. Primary analyses suggest a significant protective effect (p=0.016) of FS. Secondary analyses of MIB-1 + nuclei (controlling for total cell counts) show increased proliferation with DFR (p=.017), and a significant interaction with FS and DFR (p<.0001). No differences were observed between groups with regard to PC apoptosis, and histology of benign tissue. No differences were observed between arms for PSA, SHBG, T, IGF1, IGFBP3 or CRP. Significant differences were observed between arms for changes in serum lipids and body weight [ΔTC = +9/-26/-46/-37 mg/dL; ΔLDLC = -14/-17/-29/-21 mg/dL and Δ weight = +0.3/-1.3/-1.7/-1.1 kg (p's<.05)]; effects were attributed to DFR and not FS. Side effects did not differ between arms Conclusions: Preliminary findings suggest that FS is safe and exerts a protective effect (main effect or via interaction with DFR) on PC. Data also provide further support of DFR for cardiovascular disease, though its role in PC is less clear. Further controlled analyses and additional studies are needed to confirm findings.
Good Flaxseed Primer

BignBad

Awards
Agreed. Soy is another interesting one. One camp says it will shrink your brain and cut off your nuts and the other points out that it increase nitric oxide and is associated with some of the healthiest cultures in the world, etc.

BabyHulk

BabyHulk

Awards
  • Established
I would post a link to the site I get it from, but I'm not sure I should. Just google it. I will be back in a little while and I will explain

BabyHulk

BabyHulk

Awards
  • Established
This will help a little...

altmedicine.about.com/od/herbsupplementguide/a/krilloil.htm

stefang

Awards
I love flax oil. Use flax seeds every day with my protein shakes.