Hiatal hernia surgery?

C

clint3612

Awards
Anybody ever had a hital hernia surgery? The reason I'm asking this board, is because I think I had one and I think I caused it through weight lifting. Since were all lifters here, I wanted feedback if you had one. The questions I have are: How long did it take before you could train? Did you have lessen the intensity of exercises? Any drawbacks? Any relapses (i hope you haven't) Any feedback would be appreciated!

K

Knowbull

Awards
  • Established
The best thing to do is; get it checked, if it is a hernia get it fixed as soon as possible, take a year off weights and any thing strenuous. When you start back up, start and stay at really light weights for 3 months, if you experience any pain stop lifting weights. JMO

F

fieldt76

Awards
I had a hernia repaired in 2003, although it was inguinal not hiatal. I still feel pain at the repair site sometimes and am very careful about putting pressure on it. There are some lifts that I go light on or stay away from all together (squats, deads, some ab exercises). It sucks, but I never want to go through the pain of hernia surgery again. I think taking a year off from weights is pretty reasonable after a repair. Like Knowbull said, when you come back, stay light and back off if it starts to hurt. I know this is probably not what you want to hear and I'm not in the medical field at all, just my personal experience.

BodyWizard

BodyWizard

Awards
  • Established
A hiatal hernia shouldn't require surgery. If your MD wants to operate on you for a hiatal hernia, get a second opinion.

K

Knowbull

Awards
  • Established
A hiatal hernia shouldn't require surgery. If your MD wants to operate on you for a hiatal hernia, get a second opinion.
What about lifting weights? Wouldnt a hiatal get worse? What are the symptoms?