Virgin Coconut Oil

  1. Registered User
    BurghHardcore's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  190 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Age
    32
    Posts
    1,105
    Rep Power
    4505

    Virgin Coconut Oil


    Hello bros. Anyone here use Virgin Coconut Oil in their diets? I recently saw on NP that NOW foods is selling Virgin coconut oil. Although very high in saturated fats, I've read that 62% of these are MCT's, which research is showing to be a very beneficial to your health, and 50% of the MCT's are Lauric Acid, which is very good for your immune system. I guess my question is, do any of you have suggestions as how and/or when you would take this? I would assume the easiest way is in a shake. My current breakfast shake looks like this:

    1 scoop whey protein
    1 serving of ground oats
    strawberries and/or blueberries
    1 serving of 1% milk...or just use water, depends
    1/2 serving 100% natural peanut butter
    1/2 serving of gold flax meal

    That shake is damn tasty...and I'd imagine the coconut oil would not hurt the taste at all, probably make it better. But taste is not all that important to me. I want to reap the benefits of coconut oil w/out overload on fat intake throughout the day. As you can see I already get a nice amount of EFA's in the morning shake, and I take NP's Omega caps during the day. I also have a can of Animal Omega which I am anxiously awaiting to use once my NP omega's are gone. I've also read that it's recommended to take 2 to 4 tablespoons throughout the day. 1 serving of NOW's is 1TBS, at 120 calories.

    Maybe a couple days a week use that in my breakfast shake instead of the PB and Flax meal? Maybe 1TBS at night with my protein shake and apple? Any and ALL suggestions from you guys are welcome.

  2. NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
    Board Sponsor
    Steveoph's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"   lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    12,524
    Rep Power
    41243

    I love coconut oil, I made sure we added it to NP's lineup. The health benefits included boosting metabolism, immunity, energy and possible Testosterone levels.. I like taking 1tbsp pre-bed, and also throughout the day when I'm looking to add some fats in. It's a great idea to switch up the PB for Coconut Oil in my opinion. You're on the right track there
  3. Registered User
    BurghHardcore's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  190 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Age
    32
    Posts
    1,105
    Rep Power
    4505

    Quote Originally Posted by Steveoph View Post
    I love coconut oil, I made sure we added it to NP's lineup. The health benefits included boosting metabolism, immunity, energy and possible Testosterone levels.. I like taking 1tbsp pre-bed, and also throughout the day when I'm looking to add some fats in. It's a great idea to switch up the PB for Coconut Oil in my opinion. You're on the right track there
    Awesome Steve...I thought the idea to switch around a little bit was good as well. Variety is a good thing afterall. Maybe 1tbsp before bed as well, that's a good idea. NOW...that poses another question. I just got some Powerfull, which I have never taken, have you ever used this? I'm am going to take that with ZMK before bed. Suggestions on when to take the VCO, protein, apple, along with the PFULL and ZMK?

    I would imagine an hour before I take the pfull and zmk?
    •   
       

  4. Registered User
    TexasTitan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    1,186
    Rep Power
    663

    My mother screamed at me over the holidays after I mentioned I was thinking about starting to cook with it saying Taco Bell used to use coconut oil but they had to stop because it was just so bad for you. I said, "Shut up Ma!" and slapped her but still, whats the deal with that? I wont pretend to be all that up on it, but I guess could someone who knows more explain it or point me somewhere?

    Also, Steve, I have some unrelated questions about the bulk stuff from NP, can I just PM you or ask here?
  5. Registered User
    BurghHardcore's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  190 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Age
    32
    Posts
    1,105
    Rep Power
    4505

    Quote Originally Posted by TexasTitan View Post
    My mother screamed at me over the holidays after I mentioned I was thinking about starting to cook with it saying Taco Bell used to use coconut oil but they had to stop because it was just so bad for you. I said, "Shut up Ma!" and slapped her but still, whats the deal with that? I wont pretend to be all that up on it, but I guess could someone who knows more explain it or point me somewhere?

    Also, Steve, I have some unrelated questions about the bulk stuff from NP, can I just PM you or ask here?
    Texas...I can't really comment directly, but from what I looked at when I googled it really quick, it says that there were studies done a long time ago using it, and those studies used partially hydrogenated coconut oil (processed and changed), not the Virgin (unrefined, untouched, hence the term "virgin"). And of course those studies came back as being negative. But if you simply look at the nutritional profile of the "virgin oil" it seems very promising. So your mother, being older I assume, is probably familiar with the "negative" literature as opposed to the more recent literature.
  6. NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
    Board Sponsor
    Steveoph's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"   lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    12,524
    Rep Power
    41243

    Either or. If I miss the thread hit me with a PM to the question.

    For the Powerfull/ZMK, you want your stomach to be as empty as possible. What I typically do is take my ZMK/Powerfull 45 -minutes pre-bed, and my shake 5 minutes pre-bed, brush teeth, then I'm out like a light. I also keep the carbs as low as possible pre-bed to avoid an insulin spike which wipes out the GH release caused by Powerfull.

    The misconception surrounding coconut oil is very widespread (Coconutoil.com - Negative P.R. Campaign ) ; I usually try and explain that coconut oil saturated fat is very different from the saturated fats found in animal meats/dairy. The coconut oil is mostly Medium Chain Triglycerides (MCT's). Try and print off an article about Coconut Oils, like Myths & Nutrition : Premium Coconut Oil : Unrefined Coconut Oil : Nutiva.com .

    Another great (yet long) read is A New Look at Coconut Oil covering recent scientific studies (Both refined and unrefined, human and animal) . A useful article is Sexy Fats - Part II: A Research Review of Coconut Oil and Medium Chain Triglycerides | Mind and Muscle looking at the studies.
  7. Registered User
    MrBrightside's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  187 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Ohio
    Age
    23
    Posts
    887
    Rep Power
    523

    Quote Originally Posted by Steveoph View Post
    I love coconut oil, I made sure we added it to NP's lineup. The health benefits included boosting metabolism, immunity, energy and possible Testosterone levels..
    I've been pretty interested lately in food sources high in saturated fats (for the test. increase) that also have no traces of any trans fats (very few and far between.) I've known for a while that you're a big advocate of the health benefits of Coconut oil, and while I'd prefer something I'd be interested in eating to provide me with a heavy dose of saturated fat without trans fats, it seems that coconut oil is my best shot. I plan on giving this a try.
  8. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Texas
    Age
    30
    Posts
    23,075
    Rep Power
    917999

    Quote Originally Posted by MrBrightside View Post
    I've been pretty interested lately in food sources high in saturated fats (for the test. increase) that also have no traces of any trans fats (very few and far between.) I've known for a while that you're a big advocate of the health benefits of Coconut oil, and while I'd prefer something I'd be interested in eating to provide me with a heavy dose of saturated fat without trans fats, it seems that coconut oil is my best shot. I plan on giving this a try.
    There's also beef and fattier cuts of meat.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  9. Guest
    Guest
    Guest's Avatar

    Quote Originally Posted by MrBrightside View Post
    I've been pretty interested lately in food sources high in saturated fats (for the test. increase) that also have no traces of any trans fats (very few and far between.) I've known for a while that you're a big advocate of the health benefits of Coconut oil, and while I'd prefer something I'd be interested in eating to provide me with a heavy dose of saturated fat without trans fats, it seems that coconut oil is my best shot. I plan on giving this a try.
    Trans fats are man made.....

    Saturated fats from eggs, avocados, and every meat on the planet.
  10. Registered User
    DaveGabe24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    1,200
    Rep Power
    9016

    Does the Virgin Coconut Oil leave that same slick "oily" feeling on your lips?

    I add in EVOO to my shakes, and sometimes when I add too much it just kills the shake, leaves a slick covering on my lips/mouth, and stomach gets owned too lol.

    Sad, the things I'll do for extra cals to gain weight.
  11. Registered User
    MrBrightside's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  187 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Ohio
    Age
    23
    Posts
    887
    Rep Power
    523

    Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    There's also beef and fattier cuts of meat.
    Yeah I've been reading up on the heaviest sources, and saw bacon and other fatty meats were among the top of the list, but there's still not a whole lot of sat.fat in them in relation to their total fat content. (9.5:3.5 in bacon? I think my naturally more PB, excluding the added fats from omega sources is roughly 6:3 or 2:1)


    Quote Originally Posted by USPLabs View Post
    Trans fats are man made.....

    Saturated fats from eggs, avocados, and every meat on the planet.
    Alright?...
  12. Registered User
    marco wolf's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  235 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    354
    Rep Power
    254

    MrBrightside,

    A tablespoon of heavy cream has about 50 calories, consisting of 6 grams of fat with 4 grams of that being saturated.

    Try to get real cream. The cream I get says; Ingredients: Heavy Cream(from milk). If it's homogenized, pasteurized, or has emulsifiers in it, you might as well just get the fat from whole milk.
  13. Banned
    IamSOFAking's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  195 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    135
    Rep Power
    0

    I love coconut oil!
  14. Registered User
    DaveGabe24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    1,200
    Rep Power
    9016

    Quote Originally Posted by IamSOFAking View Post
    I love coconut oil!
    The coconut oil I just saw in Shoprite was a solid? [white obviously]..

    So does everyone just add it to food? or still mix it in shakes??

    How does it taste in a shake? Overpowering...etc.
  15. NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
    Board Sponsor
    Steveoph's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"   lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    12,524
    Rep Power
    41243

    Quote Originally Posted by DaveGabe24 View Post
    The coconut oil I just saw in Shoprite was a solid? [white obviously]..

    So does everyone just add it to food? or still mix it in shakes??

    How does it taste in a shake? Overpowering...etc.
    melts at 24C. Not overpowering at all. I take a tbsp plain, or in a casein shake. Milk coconut flavour. Buy UNREFINED if possible; refined has been bleached & deodorized & lost some health benefits.
  16. Registered User
    jdg487's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Age
    27
    Posts
    1,316
    Rep Power
    735

    I recenlty upped my daily amount of coconut oil to 3 full tablespoons. It doesn't have a bad taste at all. If you look around you can find your virgin coconut oil for cheap, I mean dirt cheap...
  17. Registered User
    DaveGabe24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    1,200
    Rep Power
    9016

    Quote Originally Posted by Steveoph View Post
    melts at 24C. Not overpowering at all. I take a tbsp plain, or in a casein shake. Milk coconut flavour. Buy UNREFINED if possible; refined has been bleached & deodorized & lost some health benefits.
    I dont cook much at college, more just looking to add healthy fats / calories to my shakes since right now they're just water + whey throughout the day.

    Quote Originally Posted by jdg487 View Post
    I recenlty upped my daily amount of coconut oil to 3 full tablespoons. It doesn't have a bad taste at all. If you look around you can find your virgin coconut oil for cheap, I mean dirt cheap...
    Online?
  18. Registered User
    jdg487's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Age
    27
    Posts
    1,316
    Rep Power
    735

    You might be able to, but depending on where you live you might be able to find somehow to get it for the low prices. I would recommend looking at farmers markets or in some natural food catalogs. I found my 50 lb virgin coconut oil for $175 a month ago. I have had NOW's and Spectrum's and my new bulk stuff is the same as those.
  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. VIRGIN!!!!!!
    By Bigbuttchicks in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10-08-2009, 11:39 AM
  2. coconut cream = coconut oil?
    By wontdie in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-18-2008, 06:10 AM
  3. RPM Virgin
    By itsrawb in forum Supplement Logs
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 11-17-2007, 06:05 AM
  4. 40 yr old virgin
    By goes4ever in forum General Chat
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 12-28-2005, 12:24 AM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-08-2005, 08:26 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in