Virgin Coconut Oil

B

BurghHardcore

Awards
  • Established
Hello bros. Anyone here use Virgin Coconut Oil in their diets? I recently saw on NP that NOW foods is selling Virgin coconut oil. Although very high in saturated fats, I've read that 62% of these are MCT's, which research is showing to be a very beneficial to your health, and 50% of the MCT's are Lauric Acid, which is very good for your immune system. I guess my question is, do any of you have suggestions as how and/or when you would take this? I would assume the easiest way is in a shake. My current breakfast shake looks like this:

1 scoop whey protein
1 serving of ground oats
strawberries and/or blueberries
1 serving of 1% milk...or just use water, depends
1/2 serving 100% natural peanut butter
1/2 serving of gold flax meal

That shake is damn tasty...and I'd imagine the coconut oil would not hurt the taste at all, probably make it better. But taste is not all that important to me. I want to reap the benefits of coconut oil w/out overload on fat intake throughout the day. As you can see I already get a nice amount of EFA's in the morning shake, and I take NP's Omega caps during the day. I also have a can of Animal Omega which I am anxiously awaiting to use once my NP omega's are gone. I've also read that it's recommended to take 2 to 4 tablespoons throughout the day. 1 serving of NOW's is 1TBS, at 120 calories.

Maybe a couple days a week use that in my breakfast shake instead of the PB and Flax meal? Maybe 1TBS at night with my protein shake and apple? Any and ALL suggestions from you guys are welcome.

Steveoph

Steveoph

NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I love coconut oil, I made sure we added it to NP's lineup. The health benefits included boosting metabolism, immunity, energy and possible Testosterone levels.. I like taking 1tbsp pre-bed, and also throughout the day when I'm looking to add some fats in. It's a great idea to switch up the PB for Coconut Oil in my opinion. You're on the right track there :thumbsup:

B

BurghHardcore

Awards
  • Established
I love coconut oil, I made sure we added it to NP's lineup. The health benefits included boosting metabolism, immunity, energy and possible Testosterone levels.. I like taking 1tbsp pre-bed, and also throughout the day when I'm looking to add some fats in. It's a great idea to switch up the PB for Coconut Oil in my opinion. You're on the right track there :thumbsup:
Awesome Steve...I thought the idea to switch around a little bit was good as well. Variety is a good thing afterall. Maybe 1tbsp before bed as well, that's a good idea. NOW...that poses another question. I just got some Powerfull, which I have never taken, have you ever used this? I'm am going to take that with ZMK before bed. Suggestions on when to take the VCO, protein, apple, along with the PFULL and ZMK?

I would imagine an hour before I take the pfull and zmk?

TexasTitan

TexasTitan

Awards
  • Established
My mother screamed at me over the holidays after I mentioned I was thinking about starting to cook with it saying Taco Bell used to use coconut oil but they had to stop because it was just so bad for you. I said, "Shut up Ma!" and slapped her but still, whats the deal with that? I wont pretend to be all that up on it, but I guess could someone who knows more explain it or point me somewhere?

Also, Steve, I have some unrelated questions about the bulk stuff from NP, can I just PM you or ask here?

B

BurghHardcore

Awards
  • Established
My mother screamed at me over the holidays after I mentioned I was thinking about starting to cook with it saying Taco Bell used to use coconut oil but they had to stop because it was just so bad for you. I said, "Shut up Ma!" and slapped her but still, whats the deal with that? I wont pretend to be all that up on it, but I guess could someone who knows more explain it or point me somewhere?

Also, Steve, I have some unrelated questions about the bulk stuff from NP, can I just PM you or ask here?
Texas...I can't really comment directly, but from what I looked at when I googled it really quick, it says that there were studies done a long time ago using it, and those studies used partially hydrogenated coconut oil (processed and changed), not the Virgin (unrefined, untouched, hence the term "virgin"). And of course those studies came back as being negative. But if you simply look at the nutritional profile of the "virgin oil" it seems very promising. So your mother, being older I assume, is probably familiar with the "negative" literature as opposed to the more recent literature.

Steveoph

Steveoph

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Either or. If I miss the thread hit me with a PM to the question.

For the Powerfull/ZMK, you want your stomach to be as empty as possible. What I typically do is take my ZMK/Powerfull 45 -minutes pre-bed, and my shake 5 minutes pre-bed, brush teeth, then I'm out like a light. I also keep the carbs as low as possible pre-bed to avoid an insulin spike which wipes out the GH release caused by Powerfull.

The misconception surrounding coconut oil is very widespread (Coconutoil.com - Negative P.R. Campaign ) ; I usually try and explain that coconut oil saturated fat is very different from the saturated fats found in animal meats/dairy. The coconut oil is mostly Medium Chain Triglycerides (MCT's). Try and print off an article about Coconut Oils, like Myths & Nutrition : Premium Coconut Oil : Unrefined Coconut Oil : Nutiva.com .

Another great (yet long) read is A New Look at Coconut Oil covering recent scientific studies (Both refined and unrefined, human and animal) . A useful article is Sexy Fats - Part II: A Research Review of Coconut Oil and Medium Chain Triglycerides | Mind and Muscle looking at the studies.

MrBrightside

MrBrightside

Awards
  • Established
I love coconut oil, I made sure we added it to NP's lineup. The health benefits included boosting metabolism, immunity, energy and possible Testosterone levels..
I've been pretty interested lately in food sources high in saturated fats (for the test. increase) that also have no traces of any trans fats (very few and far between.) I've known for a while that you're a big advocate of the health benefits of Coconut oil, and while I'd prefer something I'd be interested in eating to provide me with a heavy dose of saturated fat without trans fats, it seems that coconut oil is my best shot. I plan on giving this a try.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I've been pretty interested lately in food sources high in saturated fats (for the test. increase) that also have no traces of any trans fats (very few and far between.) I've known for a while that you're a big advocate of the health benefits of Coconut oil, and while I'd prefer something I'd be interested in eating to provide me with a heavy dose of saturated fat without trans fats, it seems that coconut oil is my best shot. I plan on giving this a try.
There's also beef and fattier cuts of meat.

G

Trans fats are man made.....

Saturated fats from eggs, avocados, and every meat on the planet.

DaveGabe24

DaveGabe24

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Does the Virgin Coconut Oil leave that same slick "oily" feeling on your lips?

I add in EVOO to my shakes, and sometimes when I add too much it just kills the shake, leaves a slick covering on my lips/mouth, and stomach gets owned too lol.

Sad, the things I'll do for extra cals to gain weight.

MrBrightside

MrBrightside

Awards
  • Established
There's also beef and fattier cuts of meat.
Yeah I've been reading up on the heaviest sources, and saw bacon and other fatty meats were among the top of the list, but there's still not a whole lot of sat.fat in them in relation to their total fat content. (9.5:3.5 in bacon? I think my naturally more PB, excluding the added fats from omega sources is roughly 6:3 or 2:1)

Trans fats are man made.....

Saturated fats from eggs, avocados, and every meat on the planet.
Alright?...

marco wolf

marco wolf

Awards
  • Established
MrBrightside,

A tablespoon of heavy cream has about 50 calories, consisting of 6 grams of fat with 4 grams of that being saturated.

Try to get real cream. The cream I get says; Ingredients: Heavy Cream(from milk). If it's homogenized, pasteurized, or has emulsifiers in it, you might as well just get the fat from whole milk.

DaveGabe24

DaveGabe24

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I love coconut oil!
The coconut oil I just saw in Shoprite was a solid? [white obviously]..

So does everyone just add it to food? or still mix it in shakes??

How does it taste in a shake? Overpowering...etc.

Steveoph

Steveoph

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
The coconut oil I just saw in Shoprite was a solid? [white obviously]..

So does everyone just add it to food? or still mix it in shakes??

How does it taste in a shake? Overpowering...etc.
melts at 24C. Not overpowering at all. I take a tbsp plain, or in a casein shake. Milk coconut flavour. Buy UNREFINED if possible; refined has been bleached & deodorized & lost some health benefits.

jdg487

jdg487

Awards
  • Established
I recenlty upped my daily amount of coconut oil to 3 full tablespoons. It doesn't have a bad taste at all. If you look around you can find your virgin coconut oil for cheap, I mean dirt cheap...

DaveGabe24

DaveGabe24

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
melts at 24C. Not overpowering at all. I take a tbsp plain, or in a casein shake. Milk coconut flavour. Buy UNREFINED if possible; refined has been bleached & deodorized & lost some health benefits.
I dont cook much at college, more just looking to add healthy fats / calories to my shakes since right now they're just water + whey throughout the day.

I recenlty upped my daily amount of coconut oil to 3 full tablespoons. It doesn't have a bad taste at all. If you look around you can find your virgin coconut oil for cheap, I mean dirt cheap...
Online?

jdg487

jdg487

Awards
  • Established
You might be able to, but depending on where you live you might be able to find somehow to get it for the low prices. I would recommend looking at farmers markets or in some natural food catalogs. I found my 50 lb virgin coconut oil for $175 a month ago. I have had NOW's and Spectrum's and my new bulk stuff is the same as those.