Call me Orville Redenbacher- a lot of popping

Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  1. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  200 lbs.

HELP!! My knees and elbows are popping like crazy. My knees really hurt bad, and the popping has gotten worse. Since I started working my legs more (deep hack squats, deep squats, heavy and deep leg presses), my legs have grown, but at a price. When I touch the top edge of my knee caps they hurt; my knees hurt when I sit. I have to keep my legs stretched out to avoid the pain. My elbows pop when I flex, or when I am doing tripcep exercises.

2. Bananas
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  201 lbs.

Subbed for support. Wish I could help, interested to see what others say.
    The LORD is my rock, my fortress, and my savior; my God is my rock, in whom I find protection. He is my shield, the power that saves me, and my place of safety.-Psalm 18:2
  3. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  193 lbs.

Dammit, I thought this was about some health facts on popcorn.
    Freedom means nothing here.
    •   

4. glg

glucosamine, cissus etc. there are many products out there to try. AN's new Osteo sport has a good looking combo of them.
  5. Registered User

cissus
    mw2012
  6. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  210 lbs.

Buddy i have skinny legs and im popping like rice crispies when i walk or bend down.
  7. Registered User

Do you take fish oil? I think something that lubricates the joints is good in this case. Also some low impact stretching will help as well. Stretching, yoga and similar exercises promotes a natural lubrication of joints.
  8. NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    6'0"   lbs.

Lots of good ideas, I would definitely recommend:

Glucosamine & Chondroitin Sulfate, MSM. Those are you building blocks. Cissus got my joints to stop popping; feel free to pick your extract of choice. Celadrin got the job done for both of my parents where other products failed, so I tend to suggest this as well. Celadrin & MSM (120 caps) By: NOW Foods takes care of 2 of them, Osteosport hits it from a bunch of angles as well.

Cutting back on the heavy lifting could help, but who wants to do that Just pay attention to your form, and try getting some supps to help reinforce your joints. I could have listed more and you probably don't need all those; I would start off with those and see if it improves in 6-8 weeks. Rebuilding joints is a slow process and you've clearly damaged yours through training. Progress comes with a price.
  9. Board Sponsor
    Board Sponsor

Don't go so deep on lifts if you want to avoid knee problems. Or you can try the supplement everyone has listed above to try and combat it.
  10. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  200 lbs.

Thanks a lot for the responses guys. I have decided to give any type of squatting exercises a break for a while. I will just do stuff like, leg curls, hip abductors, and light leg extensions, and also SDL, RDL.
  11. Board Sponsor
    Board Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by ABNRanger View Post
    Thanks a lot for the responses guys. I have decided to give any type of squatting exercises a break for a while. I will just do stuff like, leg curls, hip abductors, and light leg extensions, and also SDL, RDL.
    Another thing, besides not going down so far, would be to warm-up with light weight on the leg extension machine. I usually do like 3-4 sets of 18-20 reps.
  12. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  200 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by somewhatgifted View Post
    Buddy i have skinny legs and im popping like rice crispies when i walk or bend down.
    I had the popping for years now, but they did not hurt. Do yours hurt? If all I had was the popping, I would not be so concerned. Looking back, I wish I had paid more attention to the popping sound, maybe my knees would be in better shape. Hopefully it is not too late to repair them. I will get some celadrin with msm from the local nutrition depot, then bridge with osteo sport when it arrives from NP.
  13. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  200 lbs.

I thought when you go down partially, it puts more stress on your knees, especially on hack squats. It is so bad now, I can't even do squats with my body weight, or attempt to stand after sitting, without wincing in pain. Do you all think wrapping my knees in the future will help to minimize damage?
  14. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  200 lbs.

Ok, I just called my local nutrition shop looking some of the stuff you guys recommended, and he is trying to sell me a product called Joint Renew by Nurtitox, tell me what you guys think
    http://store.nutritox.com/NutriStore...int-renew.aspx
  15. Registered User

I started wrapping my knees for leg press and squats and I think it helps a lot. Sometimes my knees would get a little sore but nothing bad. Now with the wraps the soreness is pretty much non existent.
  16. glg

Ok, I just called my local nutrition shop looking some of the stuff you guys recommended, and he is trying to sell me a product called Joint Renew by Nurtitox, tell me what you guys think
    http://store.nutritox.com/NutriStore...int-renew.aspx

I'm not familiar with the brand but there are a lot of joint formulas out there. I would definitely get a combined formula and not just cissus or gluc. etc. As always do a little comparison shopping and consider the brand reputation...you get what you pay for but you can also over pay.

I find that it takes several weeks for any of them to begin having an effect and it will be subtle at first. The popping won't be so sharp & loud etc. It probably will never go away but it can get better.

Modifying your lifts is a good idea but I would include the supps also.
  17. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  193 lbs.

I had the popping for years now, but they did not hurt. Do yours hurt? If all I had was the popping, I would not be so concerned. Looking back, I wish I had paid more attention to the popping sound, maybe my knees would be in better shape. Hopefully it is not too late to repair them. I will get some celadrin with msm from the local nutrition depot, then bridge with osteo sport when it arrives from NP.
    If your knees are going snap, crackle, pop, I think that's a sign to start taking precautions.

"My knees sound like a grand finale of 4th of July fireworks when I walk... I started years ago, but now it hurts really bad."

Preventative measures for degenerative situations.
  18. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  200 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by glg View Post
    I'm not familiar with the brand but there are a lot of joint formulas out there. I would definitely get a combined formula and not just cissus or gluc. etc. As always do a little comparison shopping and consider the brand reputation...you get what you pay for but you can also over pay.

I find that it takes several weeks for any of them to begin having an effect and it will be subtle at first. The popping won't be so sharp & loud etc. It probably will never go away but it can get better.

Modifying your lifts is a good idea but I would include the supps also.
    Thanks for the feedback. Yeah, that is what I said to him when he said the brand, I have never heard of them. But he says it is selling like crazy and that people are getting results (like he would tell me if they were not). His big pitch is the amount of MG in each ingredient, ie , Chondroitin Sulfate, MSN and the other stuff. I feel I need something that has those and some cissus as well. I am not knowledgeable with all the scientific stuff, but from what you guys are recommending, it seems I definitely need something that has all the things in this product, plus cissus as well. AM I right?
  19. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  200 lbs.

Ok, one last entry from me: I did some more searching around, and found osteobolic-c from Applied Nutri, the same company that produces osteo-sport. Based on you guys experience, how do they match up?
  20. glg

I use the Osteo-C but haven't ordered any of the Sport yet...still have a whole bottle of the C. I ordered several bottles so am working my way thru it but I definitely plan on switching to the Sport. I've used several of the AN products and have been very satisfied.

I've also tried the cheap stuff from Wal Mart and Sams Club when i was first trying different glucosamine supps. They were a waste...like I said you get what you pay for.

I currently use a private brand for the gluc. and the Osteo_c for the Cissus.

I also was satisfied with USP Labs Super Cissus but switched to AN because I was using several of their other products.
  21. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  200 lbs.

How is the osteo-c working for you so far? If it is working, how soon did you feel results? I feel I might have to put off my cycle for a while until this gets under control, or just limit my leg workouts to exercises that don't aggravate my knee.
  22. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    6'2"  215 lbs.

I would cut out leg extensions all together- they put a lot of cross-wise shearing force on the knee- we did a pretty decent research project on it for one of my graduate biomechanics courses- they might be the cause of your issues...
    Dirk Tanis, BA, MSci
    Chief Operating Officer, Applied Nutriceuticals
  23. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by rms80 View Post
    I would cut out leg extensions all together- they put a lot of cross-wise shearing force on the knee- we did a pretty decent research project on it for one of my graduate biomechanics courses- they might be the cause of your issues...
    What would a better alternative for quad isolation be?
  24. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  200 lbs.

Thanks rms80.
  25. glg

Well I've been on knee/joint supps for 4 - 5 years now. I get in moods where I stop taking so many supps/pills and my knees are the first thing that complains. Like I said it's a softening of the pain, popping and stiffness and I notice it a lot when I drop off.

I know it's dumb and lazy but i just seem to do it every year or so and I can't really explain why.

Like I said I like the Osteo-C a lot and do plan on switching to the Osteo-Sport because of the extra ingredients in it. The C usually takes about 3+ weeks for me to feel the softening effects when I've dropped off and started again. The glucosamine products seem to take a couple of weeks longer for me to notice a difference and I usually take both (again that's why I'm switching to the Sport). I also start very high in the dosages then once I feel the effect i start backing down to a maintenance dose.

I am at 200# ((not in good shape right now so probably 25% BF or so). The C is recommended at 4 caps twice sdaily for me and I restart at 3 caps 3xday then back off usually to 3 caps 2xday.

the glucosamine formula I use (Advocare brand) has 1,500 mg per 3 caps and I do 4 caps 3xday to start then back off to 3 caps 2xday. it seems most brands put a lot of glucosamine in so i assume it takes a lot to have an effect.

I'm not sold on the hyurolic acid in oral form (my Orthopedic Dr looked into it for me) but it's in the Sport formula anyway. I get the shots annually and sometime 2 x year. I have really trashed knees from 40 yrs of taekwondo and other martial arts plus a couple of motrocycle crashes.

I am sold on the Glucosamine & Cissus. I've read mixed studies about the MSM, and Chondriton but it's been whether or not they help vs any negatives so I use formulas with them just because.
  26. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  193 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Rugger View Post
    What would a better alternative for quad isolation be?
    Found this:

Warming up with 5 minutes of low-impact aerobics, such as walking or riding a stationary exercise bike, increases blood supply to the muscles to help prevent injury and stiffness.

Quadriceps Strengthening
    Quad Strengthening Contractions:
    Sit in chair. Extend legs, heels to floor. Keep knees straight (or as straight as possible if you have arthritis.) Tighten thigh muscles. Hold for count of 10. Relax for count of 3. Do 10 repetitions. You can do this several times throughout the day. You can build up to 2 or 3 sets of 10 repetitions at a time.

Quad Strengthening Leg lifts:
    Lie flat on back. Bend left knee at 90-degree angle, keeping foot flat on floor. Keeping the right leg straight, slowly lift it to the height of the left knee. Hold for a count of 3. Repeat 10 times. Switch sides. Work up to 10 sets of 10 over several weeks.

Safety Tip:
    Leg lifts: Lifting both legs at the same time causes excessive stress on your lower back so
    only lift one leg at a time; the opposite leg should be kept slightly bent with foot on floor.

Quad Strengthening Short-Arc Leg Extensions:
    Sit or lie on floor. Place a rolled up towel under your thigh for support. Keep you leg straight and raise your foot about six inches off the floor. Hold for 5 seconds. Slowly lower your foot, bending your knee. Do 10 repetitions. Switch sides.

Quad Strengthening Knee Dips:
    Stand with knees slightly flexed. Point your toes straight ahead.
    Make sure your kneecaps are also pointed straight ahead.
    Lift one leg up and balance on the other leg. Slowly lower yourself up and down ONLY a few inches. Keep the knee of the leg you are balancing on slightly flexed. Your knees must remain pointing straight forward. Do not let them turn inward. Stand straight, do not lean you body to one side. Do 10 dips. Switch sides.
    If you feel pain in your knees, start with fewer dips.

Quad Strengthening Partial Squats:
    Double leg partial squat: Stand. Keep Back Upright. Knees pointing straight ahead - inline with feet and hips. Slowly lower yourself. Don't bend your knees beyond a 90-degree angle, if 90 degrees is too difficult bend even less.

Safety Tip: Make sure your knees do not extend beyond your toes when doing partial squats. Keeping your weight behind your knees reduces the pressure on the knee joint during the squat. Bending the knees beyond 90 degrees (a right angle) places excessive strain on the knee.
  27. glg

RMS80..what about limited range extensions. That's what my knee Dr allows me to do. 15 - 20 % range of motion maximum.
  28. Enologist/Brewmaster/Damn good guy
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'9"  200 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Aggravated View Post
    Don't go so deep on lifts if you want to avoid knee problems. Or you can try the supplement everyone has listed above to try and combat it.
    I think that is a myth and you can actually strengthen your knees with deep squats as long as you don't "bounce" at the bottom. I can try to dig up some info, but maybe RMS80 can chime back in and give his opinion.
  29. Enologist/Brewmaster/Damn good guy
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'9"  200 lbs.

Also, It may be a great time for you to try Essentials. It has all your joint support formula plus all your daily needs in one.
    Shameless, I know
    Essentials + Joint Complex (648 g) By: Anabolic Innovations
  30. glg

Another product I've not tried but I use the AI Cycle support & the Life Cycle...good products.
  31. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  200 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by dg806 View Post
    Also, It may be a great time for you to try Essentials. It has all your joint support formula plus all your daily needs in one.
    Shameless, I know
    Essentials + Joint Complex (648 g) By: Anabolic Innovations
    How dare you try to use my thread to do a sales pitch.....JK. yeah I was looking at that. How does it compare to some of the other popular ones on here that all the guys rave about. Namely cissus, osteo-sport, super cissus rx, animal flex, blah, blah, etc? By the way, I sure feel qualifed for a sponsored log or sample of your essential.......oooooh the pain, if only I had some of that essential so I can go on with my workouts. Do you want me to send a picture of my puppy dog eyes to help sway you lol?
  32. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  193 lbs.

How dare you try to use my thread to do a sales pitch.....JK. yeah I was looking at that. How does it compare to some of the other popular ones on here that all the guys rave about. Namely cissus, osteo-sport, super cissus rx, animal flex, blah, blah, etc? By the way, I sure feel qualifed for a sponsored log or sample of your essential.......oooooh the pain, if only I had some of that essential so I can go on with my workouts. Do you want me to send a picture of my puppy dog eyes to help sway you lol?
    I know something you can use for free. Some tips on rehabilitative exercises.
  33. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  200 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Force of Green View Post
    I know something you can use for free. Some tips on rehabilitative exercises.
    Thanks force, I am all ears.
  34. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  195 lbs.

excellent advice
  35. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  193 lbs.

Thanks force, I am all ears.
    I posted one except on the last page for you for quad exercises when you have knee pain/knee injuries.
  36. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  200 lbs.

Force where is the post with the link ?
  37. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  193 lbs.

Force where is the post with the link ?

It's post #26 bro
  38. Board Sponsor
    Board Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by dg806 View Post
    I think that is a myth and you can actually strengthen your knees with deep squats as long as you don't "bounce" at the bottom. I can try to dig up some info, but maybe RMS80 can chime back in and give his opinion.
    That may very well be true, but if his knees are already sore, he should limit the amount that his knees are involved in the movement. This is a helpful read...

http://www.exrx.net/ExInfo/Squats.html
  39. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  193 lbs.

That may very well be true, but if his knees are already sore, he should limit the amount that his knees are involved in the movement. This is a helpful read...

http://www.exrx.net/ExInfo/Squats.html
    Aggravated, I saw that you were repping LG, then a 'free agent', now you're repping them again... what's goin on?
  40. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  215 lbs.

I usually do calves and hams before quads for the warm up benefits. You might be able to do timed wall sits. Just make sure the knees are at 90 or more. 4 sets of 1 minute and you should feel it. You might need to work up to 1 minute. Good recs on the supplements given. Anything I have read has said the extensions are one of the worst stressors on your knee joints. All the best to ya!!
    Always open light. Itís not what you open with, itís what you finish with. Louie Simmons
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. shoulder popping
    By allday54 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-19-2009, 11:46 AM
  2. lol...knee popping
    By DreamOfWeight in forum Powerlifting/Strongman
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-04-2008, 06:02 PM
  3. Breakdancing(popping)
    By Jayhawkk in forum General Chat