Supplements for an athlete??

pavb10

pavb10

Awards
  • Established
Hey guys, I got a lot of questions regarding off season supplements and nutrition. I play tight end for a college football team and following a succesful season I want to have a very sucessful winter, spring and summer of training. My three main goals are to get fast, huge and durable. Currently my workouts are very good and my program is very solid. The help i need comes in the supplement department.

Currently I am 6-2 223 and run a 4.80 40. Preseason I was 231. My lifts are obviously down quite a bit now being that i am in season. I want to be 230-235 next year and be very solid and cut and be running sub 6 miles and 4.7 40's.

Following the season what supplements should i take? I want..
-Preworkout Stim
-Arginine product for some huge big pumps
-Some sort of creatine
-Some way to prevent inflamtion and help recovery
-Post workout and preworkouts carbs? (waxy maize?)
-Obviously protein

Overall I just want a sweet stack of supplements and supplemental nutrition. Ive tried a lot of things and was wondering what u guys thought. I want to perform at my best next season and all off season. Thanks

Hyde12

Awards
  • Established
Cissus for your joints. Very cheap and effective in bulk.

pavb10

pavb10

Awards
  • Established
my joints are pretty good aside from tendonitous in my right shoulder. I was thinking more like muscular inflamation.

Ubiyca

Ubiyca

Banned
Awards
  • Established
my joints are pretty good aside from tendonitous in my right shoulder. I was thinking more like muscular inflamation.

No, you don't understand.. Cissus is the ****.

You will be able to lift heavy++ and force yourself++ and nothing will ache. It also keeps your body in a very "anabolic" and not "catabolic" state. Which is good.

delsolrob

delsolrob

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
-Preworkout Stim
RPM

I don't usually like NO products

-Some sort of creatine
neovar

Cissus, Fish Oil

you should consider AP here

post workout WMS comes in handy, I like a mixture of complex and simple carbs pre workout.

Torrent is a great post workout product, you might also consider golden finish

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
I like waxy maize with P-Slin, beta-alanine, and creatine gluconate

pavb10

pavb10

Awards
  • Established
how does cissus compare to three ibuprofen in their anti inflamatory capibilities?

delsolrob

delsolrob

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I don't know how to compare cissus to ibuprofen; but I can tell you that cissus isn't hard on your body like ibuprofen.

also, ibuprofen won't do anything to help mend your tendonitis in your shoulder. cissus actually helps mend connective tissue. If you're training hard then this will also translate into helping to prevent more tendonitis.

delsolrob

delsolrob

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
pavb10

pavb10

Awards
  • Established
yeah i dont take it when i lift out of season. I just take it so my shins, feet and ankles can work during the week for practice after switching surfaces. Arite so ill have cissus on the list for my stack. As for the others here is what i was thinking.

Preworkout stim: Primal NO2 (vasocharge is same thing)
Creatine: I dont know a lot about this and how to supplement it on top of vasocharge which has creatine already. (how much more and when)
Arginine product: I know vasocharge already has forms of arginine in it, but i love the pump and would like even a bit more. What should i take? And yes i do know a lot of people think its pointless but i do enjoy the pump.
Inflamation: Cissus
Recovery: What supplemnet should i take for recovery? I hear good things about poseiden. what else?
Preworkout and Postworkout carbs: I ussually just throw in some gatorade mix in my pre and post cocktails which is a simple sugar. I dont really understand waxy maize. I hear it gives u belly fat. Any help on that?
Protein: two scoops optimum twice daily
once after working out?

Any suggestions or help or answers would be much appreciated guys.

poison

poison

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
It's tough to beat the MAN stack: Clout and Body Octane. It was designed for athletes like you, and Clout boosts anaerobic performance. I also love Millennium Sport: I'd bet their Cre02 and Cordygen5 would hit you just right. I haven't used Cre02, but I used Cordygen VO2 with GREAT effects, and it has some similar ingredients. Pumps from Cordygen 5/VO2 are GREAT! Nothing will beat either of those two stacks.

For pre-workout stims, strength, and aggression, RPM is unbeatable.

I love USPLabs Super Cissus.

Curcumin, green tea, and fish oil for overall health.

All The Whey protein.

pavb10

pavb10

Awards
  • Established
I dont understand what clout and body octane do. They seem to just have a lot of beta alanine and no arginine. They also seem quite expensive.

clownbaby

clownbaby

Awards
  • Established
Hey guys, I got a lot of questions regarding off season supplements and nutrition. I play tight end for a college football team and following a succesful season I want to have a very sucessful winter, spring and summer of training. My three main goals are to get fast, huge and durable. Currently my workouts are very good and my program is very solid. The help i need comes in the supplement department.

Currently I am 6-2 223 and run a 4.80 40. Preseason I was 231. My lifts are obviously down quite a bit now being that i am in season. I want to be 230-235 next year and be very solid and cut and be running sub 6 miles and 4.7 40's.

-Preworkout Stim
-Some sort of creatine
-Obviously protein

Overall I just want a sweet stack of supplements and supplemental nutrition. Ive tried a lot of things and was wondering what u guys thought. I want to perform at my best next season and all off season. Thanks

You MUST check your supps to make sure they are not on the banned list. otherwise you could jepoardize your college playing career. please check. a lot of supp ingredients are banned.

CTDeuce

CTDeuce

MST Reppin Hard!
Awards
  • Established
You MUST check your supps to make sure they are not on the banned list. otherwise you could jepoardize your college playing career. please check. a lot of supp ingredients are banned.
x2. A lot of things will be listed banned that you wouldn't expect. For collegiate tennis you cannot use anything to help breathing patterns...which takes cordygen right out of grasp. Check that list and get back to me. Poison is completely right in his assessment of how much Cordygen products will help you along if you are not banned from using them!

poison

poison

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I dont understand what clout and body octane do. They seem to just have a lot of beta alanine and no arginine. They also seem quite expensive.

:lol: OK, listen:

600 Grams Thunder Punch
Supplement Facts
Serving Size1Scoop(12g)
Servings Per Container50
Amount Per Serving % Daily Value
Magnesium(as Magnesium Oxide & Orotate) 175mg 44%
Sodium(as Citrate) 27mg 1%
Potassium(as Citrate & Aspartate) 56mg 2%
Orotine™(Tricreatine Orotate) 3000mg †
(Proprietary 3:1 Molar Ratio Of Creatine & Orotic Acid)
Beta Alanine 1600mg †
Acetyl L-Carnitine HCL 1500mg †
Inositol Hexaphosphate(IP6) 1000mg †
NAC 500mg †
Magnesium Orotate 500mg †
Orotic Acid 500mg †
Vinpocetine(Voacanga African Root Bark & Seed)
Clout™ also provides the exact level of Orotic Acid shown to work effectively on three levels:

1. Enhancement of performance. This may have been achieved by a selection of Mechanisms but of most importance is as a precursor for carnosine synthesis. In fact research proves that Orotic Acid is very much a nutrient that can increase muscle carnosine levels [11].
2. Orotic Acid has been shown to increase muscle Uridine levels. Work by Rosenfeldt et al. (1998) showed under hypoxic (lack of oxygen) conditions (found following anaerobic exercise) elevation of intramuscular Uridine levels increased muscle phosphocreatine and creatine levels 38% and 3%, respectively[12]. Elevated Uridine levels, a RNA base, have been shown to increase muscle contractile capacity.
3. Lastly, Orotate salts being neutrally charged pass easily through cell membranes [13]. In effect, orotate shuttles the mineral atoms into cells and tissues, producing higher concentrations. Considering the creatine's inherent issues with bioavailability and stability bioavailability, orotic acid is advantageous in resolving those issues. OA thus improves creatine's efficacy and rate of target tissue saturation of phosphocreatine.

That's Not All...Orotic Acid Has Been Proven To:

1. Enhance and Maintain ATP pools
2. Increase Glucose Uptake
3. Increase Ribose Moieties (R-1-P & R-5-P) Leading to Enhanced Ribose Formation
4. Increased Muscle Carnosine Stores
5. Support and Enhance Muscle Hypertrophy (via RNA synthesis support during growth)
------

What Evidence For Performance Effect?
In 2003 Harris et al.[13] investigated Beta-alanine supplementation and its influence on the capacity to undertake intense exercise normally associated with lactate accumulation [14]. The dose of beta-alanine delivered in Clout™ enhanced maximal workout puts over a 4 minute maximal exercise test. Again authors suggested these beneficial performance effects down to increased muscle buffering capacity which aids the maintenance of muscle pH.
-----

How Does It Work?
N-Acetyl Cysteine again is a powerful antioxidant and its main influence on muscle damaging free radicals is its influence at enhancing muscle and other cell glutathione levels [15]. Secondly, it can also provide acetyl groups which could be used for entry into the Krebs cycle and energy generation overcoming deficiencies in the PDH complex.

What Evidence For Performance Effect?
There are two immense supplementation studies that show the influence of cysteine donors on performance. Sen et al. (1994) gave 200 x 4mg/day of NAC and an 800mg bolus before a maximal bike test [16]. Clout™ delivers probably the highest amounts of NAC in any sports supplement many times above the cysteine and acetyl groups delivered in these studies! OK back to the outcome of the Sen study, NAC resulted in a higher net post exercise antioxidant capacity [17]. But can elevating oxidative capacity through cysteine donation influence performance? The answer is simply YES! A study presented at the ACSM on whey protein delivering similar cysteine levels to those in Clout™ improved muscle fatigue during fatiguing leg extension exercise [18].
------

What Is It?
Phosphate "donation" would theoretically lead to enhanced athletic performance as mentioned below.ATP is your basic energy molecule and perhaps the most essential in the idea of ergogenics and athletic performance. Phosphate maybe one of, if not the most important mineral constituent required for cellular activity due to its biological interactions with metabolic intermediates and energy producing compounds. Changes in cellular phosphate levels have been linked to enhanced exercise capacity time and time again. Supplementation is a proven method to achieve this guaranteed performance effect.
-----

How Does It Work?
Vinpocetine has been shown to be effective by increasing 2,3 DPG levels (Oxygen delivery capacity)[24], ATP (energy levels)[25], and antioxidant activity[26].
------

Magnesium plays a number of roles in the body, being required for more than 325 enzymatic reactions, including those involved in the synthesis of muscle protein, as well as muscular contraction and relaxation (including the heart). The synthesis of ATP depletes magnesium-dependent enzymes, known as ATPases. Further, a large-scale survey of athletes in one study were significantly deficient in magnesium, at only 70% of RDA on average. [29] The RDA, does not even represent optimal nutrient intakes for performance athletes/bodybuilders, meaning they may have only been getting half as much as they needed. What Evidence For Performance Effect?
In a recent study on magnesium restriction with athletes over 3 months the results were dramatic. For a given workload, peak oxygen uptake, total and cumulative net oxygen utilization and heart rate all were significantly increased during the study period. The amount of the increase direct correlation to the degree of magnesium depleti

------

What Evidence for Performance Effect?
The acetyl group of acetyl L-carnitine is used to form acetyl-CoA, the primary intermediary in the production of energy from amino acids, fats, and carbohydrates. Therefore, acetyl L-carnitine acts as an energy reserve of acetyl groups and both acetylcarnitine and carnitine help enhance ergogenesis for the athlete. The acetyl group of acetyl L-carnitine is also used to make the critical neurotransmitter, acetylcholine. Research also shows that ALCAR may act as a neurotransmitter itself. [32,33,34]

Look, MAN was the first to bring Beta Alanine, orotine, citrulline, and a good many other ingredients which are now popular to the market in effective formulas.

They back their products with solid research, and use the studied amounts. No proprietary formulas at MAN, whopping doses only.

Their stuff was cutting edge 5 years ago, and still is today. It was formulated by serious athletes, for serious athletes, and nothing will beat the Clout/BO stack for strength, endurance, speed, and recovery. It seriously, and effectively, addresses all those issues. Overtrain on that stack? You'll have to try. Hard.

It is pricey. I'm poor, so I generally buy Clout and throw in bulk citrulline malate. Or if you're more endurance-based, buy BO and add the bulk creatine of your choice.

poison

poison

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
x2. A lot of things will be listed banned that you wouldn't expect. For collegiate tennis you cannot use anything to help breathing patterns...which takes cordygen right out of grasp. Check that list and get back to me. Poison is completely right in his assessment of how much Cordygen products will help you along if you are not banned from using them!
How would they know? I'm not saying to cheat, just curious, I mean do they test for cordyceps? What about taking cold meds?

pavb10

pavb10

Awards
  • Established
The testing really isnt a problem. I dont get tested out of season. So your saying buy the clout and body octane, but what about extra creatine and arginine and caffiene? they seem like they dont have a whole lot of stuff in them and i could make them myself.

poison

poison

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
The testing really isnt a problem. I dont get tested out of season. So your saying buy the clout and body octane, but what about extra creatine and arginine and caffiene? they seem like they dont have a whole lot of stuff in them and i could make them myself.
Clout has 6gr creatine at the twice daily dose. That's more than you need. Arginine is bullshit; citrulline isn't, and boosts recovery between sets AND workouts, increases oxygen utilization, and provides the pumps you are looking for.

I recommended RPM for the stim effect; it has plenty of caffeine, and you take it when you want.

Read the writeup:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/man/clout.html

pavb10

pavb10

Awards
  • Established
maybe this sounds dumb, but why if clout is such a good product do i never hear about it?? Also ive taken citruline malate before and the pumps associated with it are no where near taking arginine

poison

poison

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Because it's been around for 5-6 years. Every other company is copying them, but only half-way. Search, and you'll find reviews.

moklepaul

moklepaul

Awards
  • Established
I'd backup any MAN products. Good company with good supplements.

The Tanya

The Tanya

AN Rep
Awards

-Preworkout Stim
-Some sort of creatine
-Obviously protein

We can send a sample of our pre-workout, an anabolic/free test booster that stacks really well with the pre-workout and a sample of our creatine. E-mail me your info if you want to give it a try. [email protected]

pavb10

pavb10

Awards
  • Established
So poison, your saying take Clout, cissus, octane and RPM? I already have green tea and some panax ginsing.

ncangey0513

ncangey0513

Awards
  • Established
bingo

NSAIDS hinder hypertrophy.
Trappe, T. A. et al. Effect of ibuprofen and acetaminophen on postexercise muscle protein synthesis. Am. J. Physiol Endocrinol. Metab 282, E551-E556 (2002).

Soltow QA, Betters JL, Sellman JE, Lira VA, Long JH, Criswell DS. Ibuprofen inhibits skeletal muscle hypertrophy in rats. Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2006 May;38(5):840-6.

Trappe, T. A., Fluckey, J. D., White, F., Lambert, C. P. & Evans, W. J. Skeletal muscle PGF(2)(alpha) and PGE(2) in response to eccentric resistance exercise: influence of ibuprofen acetaminophen. J. Clin. Endocrinol. Metab 86, 5067-5070 (2001).

poison

poison

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
So poison, your saying take Clout, cissus, octane and RPM? I already have green tea and some panax ginsing.
Either clout and BO, cre02 and citruvol, or Clout and citruvol. :) Plus cissus and rpm.

poison

poison

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I can't wait to get into my Cre02, CT! Cordygen VO2 was insane; I think CRE02 will be even better for my needs.

poison

poison

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
We can send a sample of our pre-workout, an anabolic/free test booster that stacks really well with the pre-workout and a sample of our creatine. E-mail me your info if you want to give it a try. [email protected]
pavb10, jump on that, get some rpm asap!

pavb10

pavb10

Awards
  • Established
Yeah I emailed Tanya, sounds like a great oppurtunity. Out of those three options i like body octance and clout the best. Are those the two best products i can take though? should i do some extra propeitary blending of my own in addition to them? I mean i just wana know that they have everything I need before i make the investment. Its a lot of money to spend and i wana make sure im getting the absolute best stack possible.

poison

poison

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Honestly, I would buy Clout and 200gr citrulline. Dose two scoops a day of Clout and 6gr a day of CM. It's cheaper that way.

One word of warning: in the past, Clout tasted like ass, so they revised the flavor. Then it tasted like bubble gum fruit punch, with a lingering flavor of ass. Supposedly they just found a new flavor provider, and it genuinely tastes good. I know Nutraplanet has the 2nd gen, if not the 3rd, so worst case you're looking as bubble gum ass.

Also, Clouts effects build, and it'll just be hitting its stride by the end of the first bottle. Run two at full dosage.

DreamOfWeight

DreamOfWeight

Awards
  • Established
do some research... then buy it, and see for yourself... clout is good though.. i liked!! had to dose exta beta alanine!! im a junkie, what can i say?

Big BAMA

Big BAMA

Awards
  • Established
I agree with poison go with Clout. Good stuff and the description of the flavor is correct.

pavb10

pavb10

Awards
  • Established
Arite so ill buy some extra citrulline. How should i dose it? Should i add in anything else, creatine or arginine or anything? What supplement should i get for recovery, aminos and glutamine and such in addition to the cissus?

poison

poison

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Just buy Xtend, or Core ABC, which has some more BA and 2.5gr citrulline per serving, plus lots of aminos.

Glutamine is nonsense, unless you're an endurance athlete.

pavb10

pavb10

Awards
  • Established
OK so,

CLOUT (two Bottles 50 days)
Citruline malate- Bulk
Xtend
RPM or Vasocharge (havent decided yet)
Cissus
Greet Tea extract (already have)
Fish Oil (already have)

Any help with the waxy maize?? Any other add-ins or other things i may have overlooked??

poison

poison

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
vasocharge is a citrulline/creatine/caffeine blend, you'd replace clout with it. rpm is fully a different animal. Or shall I say BEAST?

pavb10

pavb10

Awards
  • Established
yeah i emailed tanya hopefully ill get some rpm and see how i like it. If its great ill get it, but for the time being i think im leaning towards the aakg i have on my shelf and some caffeine

poison

poison

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
RPM is insane. Many users report increases in weight lifted on the first dose.

Irish Cannon

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
-Preworkout Stim
RPM

Bulk Arginine AKG

-Some sort of creatine
Bulk DiCreatine Malate or Cre-02 if you want a capped product.

Cissus

Waxy Maize is good. Oats work too.

-Obviously protein
All The Whey brand.

Grambo

Grambo

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Hey there, I thought id throw my two cents in on this. Great recommendations so far and good job actually listening unlike some posters.

-Preworkout Stim:
RPM or ZAP are what you are looking for I guantee. Both make you an animal in the gym.

-Arginine product for some huge big pumps:

I think you are over this but Arginine sucks for growth for the most part and gave me too much leg pump when doing stadiums and such.

Xtend + Citrulline is great for recovery and builds up endurance (plus a nice pump)

-Some sort of creatine

Havent Tried Clout myself but as stated it was made for athletes and you will NOT be disappointed. I dont htink I ever saw a bad review.

Cissus and Fishoil. Enough said.
protein:

Whey for Post workout (All They Whey is great adn so is Scivations 10lb deal)
If you can afford it Caseine at night is good when putting on some size though cottage cheese is a cheaper option

Extra:

Citruvol has amazing feedback and would build up and give you the "wind" to blast through those hardcore off season workouts that have to be done to compete.

You may at least look into possibly a good Test Boost. (Natural ofcourse ;)) - Sustain Alpha, Diesel Test Hardcore,Stoked

Just throwing out ideas.

pavb10

pavb10

Awards
  • Established
Thanks a lot for the advice guys. Yeah about the cardio and Arginine, Ill never mix the two. I ussually dont take it unless im doing upper body stuff and maybe running a few routes after. What do you mean by sucks for growth though? does it inhibit growth?

-For the preworkout Stim I think Im probally gonna go with the RPM, but do I have to dose it at 5 pills? Im def way over 200lbs

-Im definitly gonna buy some bult citruline, BCAA's and cissus.

- I was thinking though, should i buy some beta alanine and di creatine malate like Irish Cannon said instead of the clout? The clout would run me 80 bucks for 50 days....

-How do you dose the waxy maize and when? will it keep me lean?

- On the extras, i think im gonna keep my hands off citruvol until summer when i really need it for condo. I may though however look into deisel test hardcore after i finish this stack of supplements. And that leads me to my final question.

-How long should I take the RPM, Dicreatine or Clout, Cissus, Cituline and waxy maize for before i need to stop for a bit and take the deisel test??

poison

poison

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Thanks a lot for the advice guys. Yeah about the cardio and Arginine, Ill never mix the two. I ussually dont take it unless im doing upper body stuff and maybe running a few routes after. What do you mean by sucks for growth though? does it inhibit growth?

-For the preworkout Stim I think Im probally gonna go with the RPM, but do I have to dose it at 5 pills? Im def way over 200lbs
When working out at night, I take 4, in the day, I take 5, and I'm good. A co-worker I have on RPM is 6'4" 260 and takes 4 or 5 with good effects.

-Im definitly gonna buy some bult citruline, BCAA's and cissus.
I really dislike bulk stuff: it's messy, tastes bad, and is a hassle. citrulline is easy, but BCAA's taste weird and don't mix well, and powdered herbs are just ass, I hear cissus is very difficult to cap.

- I was thinking though, should i buy some beta alanine and di creatine malate like Irish Cannon said instead of the clout? The clout would run me 80 bucks for 50 days....
Clout is well worth it, IMO. It's far superior to BA and DCM, which are good in their own right. Again, they don't address performance like Clout, which is a complete formula.

-How do you dose the waxy maize and when? will it keep me lean?

- On the extras, i think im gonna keep my hands off citruvol until summer when i really need it for condo. I may though however look into deisel test hardcore after i finish this stack of supplements. And that leads me to my final question.

-How long should I take the RPM, Dicreatine or Clout, Cissus, Cituline and waxy maize for before i need to stop for a bit and take the deisel test??
RPM - take only pre-workout. you'll be fine unless you workout 7 days a week.

creatine/CM/pump stuff - a couple months to a year is fine. You can do up to three-four bottles of clout before cycling off.

Cissus - a couple months

Waxy maize - no need to cycle

I'd do 2-3 bottles of Clout, then switch to Diesel Test or Stoked or Blue Gene.

pavb10

pavb10

Awards
  • Established
Sounds good, maybe ill try the clout for a bottle and see how it goes. The price is just a bit more than i wana spend being that im in college. The taste and mixing of bulk supplements has never really been an issue for me. I ussually take all of my preworkout powders and mix with gatorade so the taste is fine. Ill calculate the costs of everything and figure it out and get back to you guys. Thanks for all the help though

Griff55

Griff55

Banned
Awards
Cissus for your joints. Very cheap and effective in bulk.

Can i take that with say a... PH cycle?
Cuz im a college football player and my wrists absolutely kill me everyday and i think it has something to do with tendons/joints. So im looking for something to take that away. It is hurting my workout.

pavb10

pavb10

Awards
  • Established
why are u taking a prohormone bro? ure close to testing

AK32408

AK32408

IBE/PHF Rep
Awards
  • Established
Def. get something for Intra Workout nutrition like Intra-Aid or Purple WrAAth. and some ZMK and Somnidren GH for before you go to bed.

There are far too many awesome supplements out there for me to just name my favorites, but from my experience Waxy Maize, Anabolic Pump, and NeoVar, and Core ZAP pre-workout will make you break personal records... guaranteed lol.

pavb10

pavb10

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for the help. Purple wrath doesnt look like anything special and the somnidren i dont really wana take cuz i dont wana take anything that messes with my sleep. Ill look into the others.