1-Gallon of Water benefits????

01yz426

01yz426

Awards
What are the benefits of consuming this MAGIC amount of water per day??? I'm finding it hard to work into my day... I work the night shift from 8pm to 6:30am Sun-Wed, go to the gym after work from 7am---9am and am trying to sleep by
10am and I'm not wanting to wet the ol bed ya know...

Will my body adapt to this amount of water allowing me to eventually urinate LESS? How many hours should I shoot for to consume the gallon? During my workout I usually consume 40-60 ounces...

Bigguy851

Bigguy851

Awards
water intake

The only real benefits of water I could think of are staying hydrated and maybe to fight out the toxins in ur body I am not sure. I used to work night shift and workout after so I know what ur going through the most ibcan say is just make sure ur close to a bathroom if u gotta piss

TruffleShuffle

Awards
  • Established
When you wake, start big, then let the amount of water you drink taper off throughout the day. Obviously drinking loads of water before bed is just going to mean you wake up several times during the night to urinate.

Personally i find i wake once, its become an accepted almost timed event (ie, i know it'll be around 2am). I drink alot pre/during-workout. After this point, like i say, it tapers off for the rest of the evening. I know how much left i have to drink and i just spread it out.

Finally always goto the toilet before bed, even if you feel you dont need to.

Also i dont think you're bod gets used to it and urinates less, i think you just get used to going to the toilet more :)

Big BAMA

Big BAMA

Awards
  • Established
When you wake, start big, then let the amount of water you drink taper off throughout the day. Obviously drinking loads of water before bed is just going to mean you wake up several times during the night to urinate.

Personally i find i wake once, its become an accepted almost timed event (ie, i know it'll be around 2am). I drink alot pre/during-workout. After this point, like i say, it tapers off for the rest of the evening. I know how much left i have to drink and i just spread it out.

Finally always goto the toilet before bed, even if you feel you dont need to.

Also i dont think you're bod gets used to it and urinates less, i think you just get used to going to the toilet more :)
I agree with this. I start big and taper it off getting closer to bed. But I also workout in the mornings so this works for me.

T-AD

T-AD

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I don't think that there is a magic number that is universal to all. To me, 1 gallon isn't that much water for my size. I honestly drink closer to 2 gallons throughout the day. It's partly because it seems to keep me fuller when I don't want to constantly eat (for weight-loss purposes) and partly because it's the ONLY thing I drink.

If you are going to up your water intake, you'll eventually get used to it. The water will work to flush toxins from your body. It will also actually flush excess water from your body, too. It seems a bit counterintuitive, but as you drink closer to your optimal intake, the body relaxes its tendency to store what it isn't getting enough of and equalizes itself. If you aren't drinking enough, your body will store water. As you drink more, it'll flush out. Make sense?

In general, I'd agree to go with the larger amount early and progress downward. If you get up to pee often, just chalk it up to age! And if you are at work, take the time to enjoy the scenery on your walk to the loo!! Check out the hot secretary, or what Jimmy is doing to goof off today, or that hot chick on the calendar for February with the Mustang behind her...yeah, you know the one...and you're glad somebody didn't realize that it's September!!! :lol:

:cheers:

DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Right on Tim, it depends how big you are, what supps your taking the weather. Sometimes closer to 2 is more like it. I agree with the tapering throughout the day for the most part, it's a *****hh to have to get up 3 times a night.

ndnguy85

ndnguy85

Awards
i was only doing 8 glasses or HALF of a gallon a day and i thought that was hard. then i got Green magnitude and i wasn't about to kill my kidney..so i am doing 1 gallon now.

i have those 16oz/0.5L bottles..and i know i need about 8 of them a day. or at least 2 of those every 3 hours.

since i sleep by 11, i stop drinking at around 7pm. and make sure i go to the bathroom before i sleep.

my point: set mini goals throughout the day.

also we gotta take care of our kidneys..last thing we want to do is be hooked to a dialysis machine because we were stupid enough not to drink a little bit more water! (thats the nursing student in me talking)

T-AD

T-AD

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Excellent advice! Baby steps... Great way to go. You NEVER want to make big changes to your body rapidly (says the guy watching the Biggest Loser as he checks the boards). ;)

NP has a nifty li'l waterbottle gadget thing that tracks your water intake. I think it may even beep or something when you aren't drinking enough. It's $20-$25, but would be something interesting to have. Sterilize it once you get your own pattern down and pass it on to someone you know! It's the gift that keeps on drinkin! :lol:

justreading

justreading

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Psychological fact... drink from a bigger container and you will drink more. Get a 44oz container and watch how easy it is. I drink 2 64pz pitchers a day along with my other water. Those alone add a gallon and make it easy to get to 2 gallons by mistake it seems

01yz426

01yz426

Awards
I don't think that there is a magic number that is universal to all. To me, 1 gallon isn't that much water for my size. I honestly drink closer to 2 gallons throughout the day. It's partly because it seems to keep me fuller when I don't want to constantly eat (for weight-loss purposes) and partly because it's the ONLY thing I drink.

If you are going to up your water intake, you'll eventually get used to it. The water will work to flush toxins from your body. It will also actually flush excess water from your body, too. It seems a bit counterintuitive, but as you drink closer to your optimal intake, the body relaxes its tendency to store what it isn't getting enough of and equalizes itself. If you aren't drinking enough, your body will store water. As you drink more, it'll flush out. Make sense?

In general, I'd agree to go with the larger amount early and progress downward. If you get up to pee often, just chalk it up to age! And if you are at work, take the time to enjoy the scenery on your walk to the loo!! Check out the hot secretary, or what Jimmy is doing to goof off today, or that hot chick on the calendar for February with the Mustang behind her...yeah, you know the one...and you're glad somebody didn't realize that it's September!!! :lol:

:cheers:
Thanks everyone for adding to my post... I've been doing the tapering thing and seems to be ok... Last night I drank about a gallon and I felt good about it.... Tim your post were funny, but unfortunately I work nights and we have no night time secratarys to ponder over ; ( sad but true...

raginfcktard

raginfcktard

Awards
  • Established
start by downing a liter with meals...adds up quick!

DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Psychological fact... drink from a bigger container and you will drink more. Get a 44oz container and watch how easy it is. I drink 2 64pz pitchers a day along with my other water. Those alone add a gallon and make it easy to get to 2 gallons by mistake it seems
That's true I use a 1 litre container and I only need to drink around 5 of those a day, and it seems easier. I always have water beside me and it is not hard to drink 5 litres.

Stallion83

Stallion83

Awards
  • Established
yeah hydration is always a good thing to keep muscles full. Whether your taking thermogenics or creatine water is always a must. Some claims said that water can keep your metabolism slightly elevated. For my frame 1 to 1.5 gal is what I go for. Plus water is a transporter lets not forget that.

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'll just say this...

That much water may not be needed. If you are getting along just fine with what you drink now, then you are fine.

I may hit a gallon on some days, but mostly not. Even on days when I run 10 miles.

bigironkiller

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I agree with T-D. I generally drink 1-2gallons/day and my body has gotten used to it. When I dont get in those 1-2gals I feel like **** though, kinda like withdrawls.

Shatter

Shatter

Awards
Do we need eight glasses of water a day?

Myth about drinking copius amounts of water debunked

Five Myths About Drinking Water

Benefits of Drinking Water Oversold?
I was waiting for someone to sell the other side. I've never seen any benefits from the crazy amounts of water people tout on bb sites. Each to their own I guess.

Basically, if I'm thirsty I will drink water. If that means 1 glass a day or 10 glasses a day, really depends on exertion, temperature or a number of other factors. I've never found large amounts of water to have any effect on my feeling of well-being, nor have I seen any evidence that it is in fact healthy (assuming you are actually hydrated).

Keep in mind though, you have guys on here who are 240lbs+, so obviously they will have different needs to someone like myself.

Edited to add: I just noticed the OP is 239lbs. :) But seriously, if you don't feel fine, then don't feel you have to conform to a specific number (such as 1 gallon).

dynomite

dynomite

Banned
Awards
  • Established
i think in general, people that dont make an effort to drink water do not drink enough water. Obviously you are alive so you are drinking enough water to survive but i would try to add another glass or 2 and that should be enough in my opinion.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
all the above are good posts.

1-2 gallons is right. I'm taking in 1.5 and I'm 230 at the moment.

Fact: if you arn't hydrated enough before training your weight-training drastically suffers meaning you move less weight and reps.

fact: cortisol levels raises way more if you arnt hydrated after a workout.

I also heard it effects testosterone levels by a thread on IM by Dante.

adding sea salt is good in your water esp if you drink a lot.

I carry a gallon jug around with me and make surre I drink it when im done I start on another.

DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Like I said it depends on a lot of factors, size, weather, activity level, some people sweat more than others so body heat comes to play I guess. One thing I know for sure about myself is that there are times when 5 litres is not enough water. Where I am sure that some could get by with less than 3 litres. If I were to drink less than 3 litres I would run into some definite issues. What supps your taking makes a difference as well.

Experience is the best teacher here, yah there are studies now that say you don't need a lot of water but I know that's dangerous thinking for me, for someone else maybe not so much.

redemption79

Awards
  • Established
To the OP:
I would agree with those that say a gallon/day may not be necessary(although for your size you may be close with that #), and while some may honestly drink up to 2 gals/day, a lot of the people that say they drink a gal/day really don't. For some reason it seems quite common for us in the BBing world to underestimate our caloric intake and overestimate our water intake.
That being said, if you are chronically dehydrated, as many are, it can take 4 or 5 days to re-hydrate, meaning you are going to spend more time during that period making trips to the bathroom. It will lesson once your body is hydrated.

justreading

justreading

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I just drink as much as I need for my thirst. I am always thirsty 24/7... should probably see a doctor ha.

lciaccio

lciaccio

Awards
  • Established
if no one else said it...the human body is composed of around 95% water...gotta keep the body running properly lol

badfish51581

badfish51581

Awards
  • Established
:goodpost:

This is really good advice and made a huge difference for me. If you have a gallon of water sitting in front of you, it doesn't take much to put a dent in it. I make sure to finish half the bottle before I go to lunch, and finish the rest before I leave work. Then I drink water when I work out and later when I get home.