My Compete + HemaVol Stack Log (Sponsored)

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
A big thank you to iForce for allowing me to run this sponsored log.

I've used a sample of Hemavol once and really enjoyed it. It's a good profile, and very good at 2 scoops/servings.

I purchased a tub of Compete as soon as NP brought it on (tangerine) and really enjoyed the few workouts I've had using it (I sweat a lot more).

So, as far as composition, there's not a lot I'm expecting (if you know me, the past 2 years have been trying to figure out what's medically wrong with me). However, I still increase strength or endurance on a daily basis in the gym. That's what I'll be measuring, anyway. My workout split is as follows:

Arms
Legs
Delts/Traps
OFF
Chest
Back
OFF

I'll toss in some direct ab work whenever I feel like it, but they get what they need from the compound lifts.

Now here's where it gets interesting. I have 3 different workout weeks:

Max-OT (heavy weights, low reps)
High Intensity (60 second rest between sets, 120 seconds rest between lifts just to allow me to change stations/rack weights, etc.)
High Volume (sets of 25; usually 4x25 on 4 exercises or so per body part, except legs get a LOT more work)

I do Max-OT every other week, to ensure I'm stimulating growth, since that's my goal until the medical stuff is sorted out. And the HIT or HVT weeks alternate.

Max-OT
HVT
Max-OT
HIT
Repeat

Tonight will be my first workout using Hemavol as my pre (Compete will be dosed at 2 scoops intra, as I've been doing for the past 5 workouts or so).

____________________________________________________________________________________

Added 10/7/12:

Final Review:

Compete:

Taste: 9/10

I bought the tangerine and really love it and got to try out the fruit punch on this run. It's very good, as well, but both have a hint of cardboard/popsickle stick taste to them (you can also smell it when you open the containers). If there's a way to get rid of that, this is a 10 for sure, but it also won't keep me from purchasing it.

Mixability: 8/10

This isn't too bad, but as I'd mentioned, some of it tends to clump up and sink (and then often stick) to the bottom. I mix it in a half-gallon of water, so there's no shortage of water there. Again, not something that will keep me from using this, but certainly enough to notice and be somewhat annoying.

Overall: 9/10

The two minor issues are the only things that would keep me from ranking this a 10/10. It's really a great product and I love using it intra-workout and don't want to go back to just BCAAs, again. 10g BCAAs along with my pre-workout supplement(s) and Compete intra is amazing. Really solid product here (dosed at 2 scoops).

Hemavol:

Taste: 10/10

Really quality stuff. I still haven't tried the watermelon, but I really don't care for watermelon. The lemon is a very good flavor and I don't see any way to improve it. Top Notch.

Mixability: 10/10

No issues with mixabilitiy on this one. I opt for a minimal amount of water with pre-workouts, generally, and this one wasn't grainy/gritty and leaving a ton of foam at the end.

Overall: 10/10

As mentioned above, there's nothing to complain about. I think this is an amazing, top-tier pre-workout when dosed at 2 scoops (mainly to get that amount of citrulline malate in; and I add about 3g extra to it, myself). Sometimes I like to stack with some caffeine or something like Focus-XT to get the minimal caffeine and then some ALC and other goodies in. Very great profile on this.

Stack: 9/10

The only reasons I'm not giving this a 10/10 are the marginal reasons mentioned above about Compete. Like I said, they're not enough to keep me from using Compete, but enough that they need to be mentioned, because if they're fixed, this thing is flawless. Great pre-workout + great intra-workout = amazing combination. There's not much else to add, other than that I truly enjoy this combination and will continue to use Compete for the foreseeable future.

Thank you to iForce for the chance to run this stack!

Airborne42

Airborne42

Legend
Awards
FIRST

AZMIDLYF

AZMIDLYF

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Sick stack!

mnowak1228

Awards
Subbed....

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
All right, so today was the first day, instead of yesterday. I went grocery shopping, Thursday evening, and forgot to take all the stuff I'd bought for my lunches at work (I generally rock a 12.5oz can of chicken with a can of Hormel's white chicken chili; gives me 100g protein/35g carbs/15g fat give or take). It was a short day in the office, anyway, so I just wait and ate when I got home. Well, amongst all that, I just had a huge wave of tiredness kick in. It was odd; not like I needed to go to sleep and not feeling lazy, but just felt really overcome with a sluggishness. Long story short, I ended up falling asleep for a bit in the recliner and then planned to go lift, but said screw it, I'll hit it in the morning because I didn't want to give a 50% workout (some days I know it's better to just wait than to try to push through it; since it doesn't happen often).

Anyway, I dosed 2 scoops of Hemavol with 2g ALCAR, 1g Choline, 1g Tyrosine, 200mg caffeine and some BCAAs (BCAAs are split apart by about 10 min or so) pre-workout. Aside from the Hemavol, the rest of that is what I'm used to running pre, anyway (aside from generally running another stim-based pre-product, instead of the caffeine pill), and I normally take 7g cit mal pre-workout (hence dosing 2 scoops of Hemavol to get me close to that) since I had blood work show low OOR arginine levels (and subsequent testing showed a substantial improvement due to the CM dosing).

Anyway, I've had a sample of the Hemavol, before, so the taste wasn't surprising, but it was as good as I'd remembered.

I dosed 2 scoops of Compete in my 1/2 gallon jug of water to drink intra-workout. The fruit punch tastes like something I've had before, but I can't put my finger on it, yet. Unfortunately, I did taste a hint of that mild cardboard taste mixed in there that I'd tasted with the tangerine, too. It's not bad by any means and the product still tastes great, but it's noticeable.

Today was Max-OT arms:

Olympic Bar Curls: 145x6 (x3)
DB Hammer Curls: 100'sx8 (x2) / 80'sx8
Nautilus Preacher Curl Machine: 140x8 / 155x8 / 170x8

Tricep Bar Pushdowns (close-grip): 150x8 (x3)
Low Incline Skull Crushers (close-grip): 150x8 (x3)
Overhead Solo DB Tri Extensions: 55x6 / 50x6 (x3)

The olympic bar curls were done with perfect form; very slow, controlled reps without any rocking in the back/hips. I'd previously hit higher numbers than that, but the form was getting kind of sloppy, so I'd scaled it back down to build back up. Last Max-OT session, I'd hit 140x6 (x3), so that's a nice increase and then increases on all other lifts across the board, too.

I didn't feel that much drive, initially, and didn't really want to be in there, but a little ways in, that subsided and I was very pleased with this workout. Despite the medical stuff and the weight-gain, my arms have at least gained some nice size while maintaining moderate definition. Nice pump long-after I finished my workout.

mnowak1228

Awards
Nice...I'll have to try the Chilli and the Chicken for a lunch.

allnatural923

allnatural923

Awards
in, looking forward to this log, you're gonna love this combo bro :)

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Nice...I'll have to try the Chilli and the Chicken for a lunch.
I think there's around 35g protein in the can, so it's not skimpy, but adding that can of chicken bolsters it. Good for an IF meal.

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
in, looking forward to this log, you're gonna love this combo bro :)
I've already enjoyed the Compete by itself, so I'm sure I will, too. Taking 7g CM or L-Citrulline (on off days) per day took my arginine levels from like 40 to 110 or so (can't recall off the top of my head, but a substantial increase).

AZMIDLYF

AZMIDLYF

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
For personal reasons, what is the cause of the loss of arginine levels you have?

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
For personal reasons, what is the cause of the loss of arginine levels you have?
I have no idea. I just requested an amino acid profile to be done because I was curious for my own sake, given that we supplement with so many. My thought was if my levels are in good range, there's less reason to supplement (or at least less of a sense of urgency when dosing). Anyway, arginine came back low OOR (taurine is high OOR) and the doctor didn't say a peep about it (that's nothing new). All I can figure is that with the autoimmune disorder (Hashimoto's) and everything else, that's the cause for it being suppressed, but I honestly have no idea. But I tested it several weeks later after dosing the citrulline and it shot up into the higher limits of in-range.

AZMIDLYF

AZMIDLYF

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
With the arginine low, were you still able to get a good workout pump?

criticalbench

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
In for this bro! First update, very detailed!

Mike

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
All right, so I had kind of a bad Sunday, and I don't want to go into it, but I didn't end up at the gym. Today was my long day at the office and a very hectic day on top of that. I decided to just hit delts and traps because I refuse to go into a leg day without the right mindset. I'm not skipping it, mind you; it'll just be later this week.

Max-OT Delts/Traps:

Nautilus Overhead Presses: 350x6 / 350x6 / 350x5
Solo Reverse Cable Fly: 80x8 / 90x8 / 100x8
Seated Rear Delt DB Side Lateral Raises: 65's x 8 (x3)
DB Side Lateral Raises: 85's x 8 (x3)
Olympic Bar Shrugs (bar in front; over/under grip): 315x8 (warmup) / 420x8 (x4)

The overhead press was a PR by a slight margin (last time got 350x5x5x4, so this is the first time I ever got my goal of 6 and also added a rep on each set). I made increases on all other lifts, except for DB side laterals (and that's because I added the rear delt DB side laterals in, so the regular side laterals were my last delt exercise and I hit my numbers from last time). Bumped my numbers on shrugs up by 5 lbs on my working sets. I could do more than that, but it's my grip (and more so my callouses) that keep me from going higher. I've been lifting without gloves for several months, now, after using gloves since I was back in high school.

This was another day that I wasn't in a kill-mode heading into the gym, but I managed to get a good workout in, again.

Hemavol was dosed at 2 scoops pre (along with 2g ALCAR, 1g Choline Citrate and 1g Tyrosine -- no caffeine, today) and Compete was 2 scoops intra.

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
With the arginine low, were you still able to get a good workout pump?
I always managed to get a good muscle pump; very full muscles -- especially on my high volume days. However, when all the medical stuff started in, I lost my vascularity before even putting any fat on, which was odd. So even when I'm pulling 500 lbs for DL's, my forearms don't have any raised veins aside from the one on the outside of my forearm. I can see the veins, but they aren't even remotely raised.

mnowak1228

Awards
All right, so I had kind of a bad Sunday, and I don't want to go into it, but I didn't end up at the gym. Today was my long day at the office and a very hectic day on top of that. I decided to just hit delts and traps because I refuse to go into a leg day without the right mindset. I'm not skipping it, mind you; it'll just be later this week.

Max-OT Delts/Traps:

The overhead press was a PR by a slight margin (last time got 350x5x5x4, so this is the first time I ever got my goal of 6 and also added a rep on each set). I made increases on all other lifts, except for DB side laterals (and that's because I added the rear delt DB side laterals in, so the regular side laterals were my last delt exercise and I hit my numbers from last time). Bumped my numbers on shrugs up by 5 lbs on my working sets. I could do more than that, but it's my grip (and more so my callouses) that keep me from going higher. I've been lifting without gloves for several months, now, after using gloves since I was back in high school.

This was another day that I wasn't in a kill-mode heading into the gym, but I managed to get a good workout in, again.

Hemavol was dosed at 2 scoops pre (along with 2g ALCAR, 1g Choline Citrate and 1g Tyrosine -- no caffeine, today) and Compete was 2 scoops intra.
Really nice lifts bro!! Id love to see what its like in "kill-mode"!! Lol

allnatural923

allnatural923

Awards

Max-OT Delts/Traps:

solid workout bro. and I agree on moving leg day, when I'm not in a balls-to-the-wall all out training mindset I can't do legs, need to be totally prepared for it

AZMIDLYF

AZMIDLYF

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Those delts can move some iron!! (On knees bowing)

criticalbench

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

Max-OT Delts/Traps:

Your exercise choices are interested, you do alot of complex compound movements. I wish I had the motivation and desire to do them!

Mike

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Hit a Max-OT chest session, this evening.

Dosed 2 scoops Hemavol + 200mg caffeine + 2g ALCAR + 1g Choline Citrate + 1g Tyrosine and 2 scoops MBCAA (mixed separately) pre-workout.

Dosed 2 scoops Compete in 1/2 gallon of water intra-workout.

Nautilus Xpload Bench Press: (warmups) / 380x5 / 370x4 / 360x4
Nautilus Xpload Incline Bench Press: 320x6 / 330x6 / 340x5
Cable Fly Machine Decline Bench Press: 305x6 / 305x6 / 305x8
Cable Flys (pushing forward): 215x8 / 215x8 / 215x8

Not very pleased with tonight's workout. I very rarely have a bad workout (where there is regression), so I can't get too mad, but it's still disappointing because I'm not used to it. Last time (2 weeks ago) I hit the chest press 360x6/370x6/380x4, so I was expecting to pick up where I'd left off. It just felt off on all 3 sets. Last time I hit incline, I was working with 380, as well. Because the regular chest press was so bad, I scaled incline down to ensure I was getting good contractions on my reps.

On the bright side, I did make increases on both of my last exercises.

The decline one is interesting. We have a free-standing cable fly machine that works on multiple pullies (arms can go up/down and in/out). I set them all the way at the bottom and at the same width as benching. My gym doesn't have a decline bench station and to be honest, I hate trying to line up a decline bench with the Smith machine or in the squat rack, so I've decided to do these and like them a lot. If I'm doing rep work, I'll usually use the DBs, but the 100s aren't enough for the rep range I was working with here.

Oh, so I've determined what fruit punch Compete tastes like. I'm not sure if it's just because of that slight hint of cardboard to the taste that makes me think it or not. The flavor is something really familiar, and I'm not sure if this is what my initial thought was or not, but once it came to mind, it's all I can think. It tastes like those real fruit bar popsickles (strawberry). That hint of cardboard tastes like the stick. Like I said, it may really taste like something else, but that's what I think of (doesn't work for the tangerine; that one just tastes like added cardboard, not a popsickle stick lol).

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
damn!! 85lbs for side laterals!?!?! strong Beast is strong
Damn bro strong shoulders!
Those delts can move some iron!! (On knees bowing)
Thanks, guys.

I've actually done side laterals with the 95's, but had scaled down and worked my way back up to ensure that I'm not rocking and it's all delts.

Although, weighing what I do, now, none of my lifts are that impressive to me lol. Hopefully whenever the medical stuff is resolved and I can start losing fat, I'll be able to keep most of the strength.

Your exercise choices are interested, you do alot of complex compound movements. I wish I had the motivation and desire to do them!

Mike
Thanks, Mike. On my heavy days, I'm still greedy and like to lead with the overhead pressing movement, but anymore, I try to lead with all my rear delt work, since my front delts are far more developed.

VaughnTrue

VaughnTrue

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
doing great so far man, keep it up!

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
Sup pal?

Nice stack you got here!

BTW, have not shot ya a PM in a while, how's the medical stuff going pal?

100s by 8 on DB hammers? :boggled: serious weight!

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Back in my hometown since late last night til Tuesday. Posting from the iPad right now, so just a brief update. Manage to get into the Y here and get a quick max-ot back day in before I had to head out to a rehearsal dinner. Gone all day tomorrow for a wedding and plan to hit the gym here on Monday, again.

More detailed update whenever I can use a computer later this weekend.

StackedCop

StackedCop

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Back in my hometown since late last night til Tuesday. Posting from the iPad right now, so just a brief update. Manage to get into the Y here and get a quick max-ot back day in before I had to head out to a rehearsal dinner. Gone all day tomorrow for a wedding and plan to hit the gym here on Monday, again.

Enjoy the wedding! Looking forward to seeing more big numbers in the weight room!!

Loudy Rowdy

Loudy Rowdy

Awards

Hope you are still alive after that crazy weekend ;) Whenever I go to weddings and wedding dinners, things usually happens (some good...and...some bad :D )

GHO5T

Awards

Have a great time at the wedding man. Cant wait to see more intense updates. Keep up the good work.

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Hope you are still alive after that crazy weekend ;) Whenever I go to weddings and wedding dinners, things usually happens (some good...and...some bad :D )
Ha, no crazy weekend; just busy. Had less than a beer at the wedding. It was a great time.

Spent all day at another childhood friend's with his wife and parents. Haven't seen him since I stayed with him in Hawaii last May and he wasn't supposed to be back here, still. He and his wife spent the last 7 months traveling the world and have been back in IL with family before moving out to Cali. We fried a ton of fish for dinner and it was awesome.

Hitting the gym tomorrow.

StackedCop

StackedCop

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Ha, no crazy weekend; just busy. Had less than a beer at the wedding. It was a great time.

Spent all day at another childhood friend's with his wife and parents. Haven't seen him since I stayed with him in Hawaii last May and he wasn't supposed to be back here, still. He and his wife spent the last 7 months traveling the world and have been back in IL with family before moving out to Cali. We fried a ton of fish for dinner and it was awesome.

You not a drinker? I dont think I could make it at a wedding without getting a little buzzed...

allnatural923

allnatural923

Awards

damn, less than a beer at a wedding is impressive haha, way to stay the course.

looking forward to more updates :)

baldwanus

baldwanus

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
damn, less than a beer at a wedding is impressive haha, way to stay the course.

looking forward to more updates :)
true dat.

i was drunk long before dinner was even served at Vaughn's wedding :p

AZMIDLYF

AZMIDLYF

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Guess the Bachelor party wasn't in the mix. Lol

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
You not a drinker? I dont think I could make it at a wedding without getting a little buzzed...
I essentially don't drink. In college I went 2 spans of a year without drinking and usually go months in between. My parents don't drink and I'm looking to give it up for good eventually.

Had an awesome HVT arm day, today. Driving back to KY in the morning. Once I'm home I'll give full updates for both lifting days.

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
All right, got back to KY about an hour ago.

Depending on how work goes, tomorrow, I'll be hitting the gym in the afternoon. I'll also take an update the past workouts whenever I get a chance, too.

criticalbench

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I essentially don't drink. In college I went 2 spans of a year without drinking and usually go months in between. My parents don't drink and I'm looking to give it up for good eventually.

Had an awesome HVT arm day, today. Driving back to KY in the morning. Once I'm home I'll give full updates for both lifting days.
I'm the same as you bro, I don't drink either. The only time I ever drank in college, was senior year when me and my girlfriend broke up for 3 months. It didn't take me long to start hating it haha. I drank the most, when I was in high school.

Mike

PuZo

Awards
  • Established
I'm the same as you bro, I don't drink either. The only time I ever drank in college, was senior year when me and my girlfriend broke up for 3 months. It didn't take me long to start hating it haha. I drank the most, when I was in high school.

Mike
What kind of life can you live without beer. Just.. doesnt.. no :p

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
What kind of life can you live without beer. Just.. doesnt.. no :p
Haha I'm just happier without it.

I experimented a bit in high school and I'm glad I did it back then; it made college way less of a transition and I didn't go nuts. For me, though, it's just how I was raised and I don't need lowered inhibitions. I'm really looking forward to having the medical stuff resolved, though, because I'd always viewed alcohol as empty calories and that's far easier to do when it actually makes a difference whether you drink or not, ya know?

I didn't end up hitting the gym, today. Work was very hectic and it's my birthday, so I spent some time with my girlfriend, this evening and will just hit the gym hard, tomorrow and get back on track.

AZMIDLYF

AZMIDLYF

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Well Happy Birthday young man!! Go out and enjoy yourself.