Volcom's Optimus PRIME Log

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established

First off, I'm sure this log may seem like a double redundancy. “Another PRIME log” and something perhaps of even greater redundance, “another Volcom log.” I don't expect to draw the masses or sway the minds of those who have already had their own experience and come to their own conclusions. Rather, I hope to collect the same familiar faces (errr avi's) who find my opinions on supplements reliable and of respectable regard. Furthermore, I wanted to add my voice to the already existing oceans of opinions on this product. I've heard so much and read so much conflicting opinions on PRIME and my interest sways daily as a result. However, the supplement fits the timing, as I am transitioning from a hypertrophic to a strength focused routine and rather then getting tugged left and right regarding PRIME, per people's opinions, I wanted to establish my own place to stand on this product.

Due to the fact that biased reviews or blind praise regarding USPLabs, seems to be the Communist Red Scare of accusations at AM, I thought I'd set the tone of my point of views to hopefully create some transparency. The only products that I have tried from USPLabs are Recreate and Anabolic Pump. Recreate is my favorite fat burner bar none, which I have used multiple times (technically, ECA is my favorite but that's a personal cocktail these days, not Supplement Company accredited). However, I did not have any “notable” success with my Anabolic Pump experience(ssss).

I'll be running PRIME solo, at 9 caps a day, for a total of 26 to 30 days, depending. The directions suggest a 5 day ON, 2 day OFF. I am contemplating 6 days ON and 1 day OFF as a means to keep my rest in check, because I have a tendency to become unintelligibly zealous about my ON days and completely neglect appropriate rest whenever I run a strength related product. Or, I may run 7 days straight through. This will be officially decided during my first week.

I could post videos of my latest “recorded” PR's, bench and dumbbell presses, but for the majority of you, it would be a double re-run (from the Blue Gene log to the White Flood CAPS log), so I won't.

I ordered my 2 bottles of PRIME this afternoon, so I expect to start the log by this weekend or Monday.

Finally, I hope to avoid as much negativity as possible. I reiterate, “hope,” I know there are existing gorilla fighters at AM who have an animosity toward USPLabs with a religious fervor, so I assume incidences will occur and rightfully so, as this is a public board with varying opinions. However, if you are a gorilla fighter, I'm not here to disprove your theories or sway “established” opinions. This is more so for the people who know me and respect my opinion, and I hope to carry that integrity to cover my experience with PRIME.

Constitution: 5'11; 215lbs
PR's:
Dead Lifts:
- Strength: 495lbs x 2
- Endurance: 405lbs x 10

Flat Bench:
- Strength: 295lbs x 8 (video evidenced)
- Endurance: 225lbs x 23

Flat Db Press:
- Strength: 125lbs Db's x 10 (video)
- Endurance: 100lbs Db's x 22 (video)

Squat: Long story

Last edited:
thundergod

thundergod

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
First in!! I hope you enjoy the PRIME as much as I did big V. Don't let the doubters, haters, and nay-sayers deter you from putting everything you've got into it. I know you won't. One has to put the necessary effort into all aspects of running any kind of "cycle", be it natty or otherwise. This involves diligence in the gym and at the table. I wonder if some of these haters put as much effort into their PRIME runs as they did into their denouncing it afterwards??!! I'd hate to be so shallow as to train like shit and eat like shit and then blame a compound for my lack of results. Sorry V. You said you didn't want ranting up in here. Well, this was just venting. LOL Go get 'em here big V!!! :head:

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'll post my chest workout tonight as a base comparison, pre PRIME. Chest days are one of the least ambiguous days for me. I always start on flat bench, so my numbers are more consistent and accurate as a result.

On occasion I'll start on Incline, but as some of you know (close-call left, upper pec tear), so no incline for a little while.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
First in!! I hope you enjoy the PRIME as much as I did big V. Don't let the doubters, haters, and nay-sayers deter you from putting everything you've got into it. I know you won't. One has to put the necessary effort into all aspects of running any kind of "cycle", be it natty or otherwise. This involves diligence in the gym and at the table. I wonder if some of these haters put as much effort into their PRIME runs as they did into their denouncing it afterwards??!! I'd hate to be so shallow as to train like shit and eat like shit and then blame a compound for my lack of results. Sorry V. You said you didn't want ranting up in here. Well, this was just venting. LOL Go get 'em here big V!!! :head:
Thanks TG. I definitely hold an adamant stance on the necessity of proactivity in order to fully exploit your supplements. I liked the ratio someone once posted, 60% diet, 30% training, 10% supplements. I don't necessarily believe in those exact percentages ver batum, but it delivers the message well. Diet and training above all else and the supplements are a finishing touch, not a base.

snagency

snagency

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Well hell yes, let's do this Sam! Cool to see you running this solo as well..

Silver3CSRT8

Silver3CSRT8

Awards
  • Established
I am in. You have been a great contributor on many threads I read and I trust your opinion.

rolandajoint

rolandajoint

Awards
  • Established
woo buddy im in. this will probably be log number 3 which convinces me to pick some up. you, tg, and poops. good luck man i know youll knock em dead.

vikinginc

Awards
  • Established
Volcom, my #1 on the AM boards.. I wish you all the best in your PRIME endeavour ! I can not wait for you to get started on this . . . You'll be my final critique of PRIME before I make my final decision of 'Yay' or 'Nay' to PRIME.

I'm subbed, I'm down, I'm in for a 40-day + (?) run, and looking for lots of action in here !

Steveoph

Steveoph

NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Good luck Sam! Glad to see you chose to run this solo. Also if you picked this up at NP and bought it before the 7% sale, we can apply it retroactively :)

About the dosing, it's a personal preference thing. We still don't know how PRIME works, but I think running it a 9caps/day, 7 days/week would be the best way, but it's your call. Good luck :thumbsup:

hman85

hman85

Awards
  • Established
Have fun with this one sam. your results will greatly influence if i buy any, so lets get this done!

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Well hell yes, let's do this Sam! Cool to see you running this solo as well..
Thanks Chef, the timing is perfect for this supplement as well. My lifts will lean heavily toward intensity as oppose to volume and from what I've read, PRIME is primed for strength. I don't think I've ever ran anything solo when strength was my goal, so it'll be nice to be able to solely implicate a catalyst of progress.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I am in. You have been a great contributor on many threads I read and I trust your opinion.
Thanks Silver, I appreciate the kind words and the confidence. I'll do my best to be as objective as possible.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
woo buddy im in. this will probably be log number 3 which convinces me to pick some up. you, tg, and poops. good luck man i know youll knock em dead.
Hey Roland, I don't know if you're still interested, but the JW is yet to be claimed, so it's yours if you want it.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Volcom, my #1 on the AM boards.. I wish you all the best in your PRIME endeavour ! I can not wait for you to get started on this . . . You'll be my final critique of PRIME before I make my final decision of 'Yay' or 'Nay' to PRIME.

I'm subbed, I'm down, I'm in for a 40-day + (?) run, and looking for lots of action in here !
Whatever the end result, I'll do my best to maximize my experience. I might need some encouragement to rest from you, TG and Snag if I'm edging on that overtraining line.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Have fun with this one sam. your results will greatly influence if i buy any, so lets get this done!
GETTER DONE!! Quality Avi as usual Hman, and I love having familiar members around, so thanks for coming along.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Tonight's Pre-PRIME chest

Flat Bench
225lbs x 10 reps
275lbs x 10 reps
285lbs x 8 reps
290lbs x 8 reps

Weighted Dips
BW + 45lbs x 10 reps
BW + 70lbs x 8 reps
BW + 90lbs x 6 reps

Hammer Wide Press
270lbs x 10 reps
320lbs x 8 reps
360lbs x 8 reps

Hammer Decline Press
270lbs x 10 reps
290lbs x 8 reps
290lbs x 7 reps

Free Weight Loaded Dip Machines
180lbs x 10 reps
230lbs x 10 reps
230lbs x 8 reps

This will serve as a good comparison of base chest strength. During "normal, healthy and functional" circumstances, I'm a huge, HUGE fan of incline movements. I grew up on Arnold Swartzendether principles (not all of them, I don't perform clean and curls) and my main focus was the incline bench back in high school, when everybody else was concerned about and comparing flat bench numbers. I never cared about numbers, I just wanted an outstanding torso.

I killed incline bench my entire life, there was a point where my incline press was actually stronger then my flat. I make this point now, because my chest routines have been forcefully relegated to flat and decline movements due to a near upper, left pec tear I suffered about a month ago. Therefore, please know that if I could do incline movements, I would do them to the death, but currently, until my upper, left pec recovers, I'll be doing chest routines as reflected above.

Emerge

Emerge

Awards
  • Established
How are your chest proportions due to super inclinage?

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
How are your chest proportions due to super inclinage?
In high school, before muscle maturity set in, I already developed a deep incline cut; an apparent line running up and down my chest, before my chest developed any lower/outer protrusion.

I could do myself some good bringing up my lower/outer chest development now anyway.

No Homo, but before I got into "bodybuilding" I wanted to develop a chest like Brad Pitt from fight club. I wanted a fit, cut and strong chest, but not necessarily Arnold thick. Of course, as you add more muscle, you want more muscle and I ended up developing my chest far beyond my original intention. I developed everything beyond my original intention, but that's the nature of the beast in bodybuilding, that bar keeps getting higher and higher, the higher and higher you get.

andrew732

andrew732

Awards
  • Established
Looking foward to this log bro, best of gains my friend

3clipseGT

3clipseGT

On my grind
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Ill be following along as well. I have about 75% of a bottle i got for free and i will be purchasing atleast 1 more to run a log. Like you i have seen things go back and forth, i figure why not run it myself and log it for everyone to see.

Ill be watchin big man!

rolandajoint

rolandajoint

Awards
  • Established
Hey Roland, I don't know if you're still interested, but the JW is yet to be claimed, so it's yours if you want it.
im down. ill be using neovar for the next 20 days tho, per AppNut. but after that im ready to hit up JW. not to mention, i think my shoulder will be ready to start adding in bench and military press. thats my hope at least.

Emerge

Emerge

Awards
  • Established
What's your bf like right now? Maybe if you got into crazy single digit BF you might still have a brad pitt in you. ;)

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Ill be following along as well. I have about 75% of a bottle i got for free and i will be purchasing atleast 1 more to run a log. Like you i have seen things go back and forth, i figure why not run it myself and log it for everyone to see.

Ill be watchin big man!
Good stuff, the more the merrier.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
im down. ill be using neovar for the next 20 days tho, per AppNut. but after that im ready to hit up JW. not to mention, i think my shoulder will be ready to start adding in bench and military press. thats my hope at least.
PM me if you want me to mail it.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
What's your bf like right now? Maybe if you got into crazy single digit BF you might still have a brad pitt in you. ;)
I've never been lower then 12%, I think I'd need lipo to get any lower. I'm not sure where I am at the moment. I'm lean enough to see upper abs and serratus, but the lower abs are MIA to the fullest. I can respectfully wear underarmour, which usually tells me where I'm at. I don't really get too concerned about bf% this time of year, only during late spring and into the summer do I really start focusing on being lean as possible.

vikinginc

Awards
  • Established
Happy Thanksgiving to all !

vikinginc

Awards
  • Established
I've never been lower then 12%, I think I'd need lipo to get any lower. I'm not sure where I am at the moment. I'm lean enough to see upper abs and serratus, but the lower abs are MIA to the fullest. I can respectfully wear underarmour, which usually tells me where I'm at. I don't really get too concerned about bf% this time of year, only during late spring and into the summer do I really start focusing on being lean as possible.
Ugh, I wish I was the same way . . . but no, I get overly conscious of any weight/water/fat gain. I wish I could - with a clean conscience - eat the normal amount of foods around the HOlidays as I have been all my life (excluding the past couple of years) .. Can not stand it ! As a result, i find myself @ the same weight I did a year ago . .

russianstar

Awards
  • Established
Subbed bro, and i have to say, this is great news to see a trusted and well respected person who has been a great help to me, running this log, i will be watching with eager anticipation, and following closely to see your results, and if its anything like TG'S and Poops, its going to be one hell of a ride..

BTW i like the optimus prime thingy, good move bro!!!

Australian made

Australian made

Awards
  • Established
what is all this noise in here........

strategicmove

strategicmove

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
How could I have missed this log until Page 2? Looks like I am losing touch! In any case, it is my pleasure to follow your log, bud! :thumbsup:

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Subbed bro, and i have to say, this is great news to see a trusted and well respected person who has been a great help to me, running this log, i will be watching with eager anticipation, and following closely to see your results, and if its anything like TG'S and Poops, its going to be one hell of a ride..

BTW i like the optimus prime thingy, good move bro!!!
Thanks Russian, you're good company. You're one of, if not thee kindest person I've met here.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
How could I have missed this log until Page 2? Looks like I am losing touch! In any case, it is my pleasure to follow your log, bud! :thumbsup:
Thanks Strategic, great to have The Oracle following along.

dragonfly

dragonfly

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, great results do NOT come from magic :lol:

[ame="http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=I_OKlZLfB3s&feature=related"]YouTube - cabine d'essayage[/ame]

Looking forward to this ride V :)

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yeah, great results do NOT come from magic :lol:

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=I_OKlZLfB3s&feature=related

Looking forward to this ride V :)
I'm glad to have you along, DF.

To my utter surprise, I did not engorge myself during Thanksgiving dinner. I think I actually ate less then I normally do. However, I did have two slices of pumpkin pie (one normal, one 1/2 slice) and a 1/4 helping of cake.

I only had ONE, medium helping plate of Thanksgiving Dinner. ONE! and I felt satiated, strange....

poopypants

poopypants

Banned
Awards
  • Established
WOOOHOOO!!!!

Thanks for shootin me the link on this my man!!! I woulda been upset if I missed out on this any further!

LOVE the big ass optimus prime pic to start, very clever, very cool!

Well man Im sure youll know Ill say your in for one hell of a ride!!! Given you responded well to other supplements that I did well with too I feel you wont be one of the unlucky non responding few, but I guess thats what we are all here to see, eh?

Well good luck my friend, cant wait to see you progress on this stuff. You have poops blessing :dump:

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
WOOOHOOO!!!!

Thanks for shootin me the link on this my man!!! I woulda been upset if I missed out on this any further!

LOVE the big ass optimus prime pic to start, very clever, very cool!

Well man Im sure youll know Ill say your in for one hell of a ride!!! Given you responded well to other supplements that I did well with too I feel you wont be one of the unlucky non responding few, but I guess thats what we are all here to see, eh?

Well good luck my friend, cant wait to see you progress on this stuff. You have poops blessing :dump:
I've been blessed with poop water, now all is well.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Pre-Prime; Traps pre-exhaust Delts workout

I have good/bad news. These pre-Prime logged workouts were meant to be a gauge of current strength, in order to contrast against Prime cycle gains. The good/bad news is that this morning was one of my strongest performing trap/delt workouts I've had all season, so the bar has been set pretty high.

One of the main reasons I suspect for these gains are the newly established neuromuscular adaptions. I've been "transitioning" from high volume/moderate intensity, to high intensity/moderate volume for a few weeks now and I believe that transition is over. Most likely, I've established the strength catalyst adaptions, such as increased recruitment of muscle fibers per motor unit and coordinated motor firing (increased neuron firing, decreased antagonist contraction are a strength/power thing, but motor units deal primarily with strength alone; and increased release of calcium of the T-tubles blah blah blah, basic premise, a lot of thingy's happen to get you more stronger).

Enough with the BS'ing, on with the show.

Barbell Shrugs
225lbs x 15 reps
315lbs x 12 reps
375lbs x 10 reps
405lbs x 8 reps

Behind The Neck, Smith Barbell Shrugs
315lbs x 10 reps
375lbs x 10 reps
405lbs x 8 reps

Db Shrugs
125lbs Db's x 15 reps
125lbs Db's x 12 reps
125lbs Db's x 12 reps
125lbs Db's x 12 reps

Seated Shrugs
270lbs x 10 reps
270lbs x 8 reps
270lbs x 8 reps

Behind The Neck Shoulder Press
225lbs x 10 reps
225lbs x 8 reps
225lbs x 6 reps

Hammer Shoulder Press
180lbs x 10 reps
180lbs x 8 reps
180lbs x 6 reps

Seated, Cable Shoulder Press
100lbs x 15 reps
120lbs x 12 reps
140lbs x 10 reps

I really wanted to finish off with a shoulder isolated movement, such as lateral raises, but I was done. I haven't gone this heavy on "behind the neck" shoulder presses, EVER, and definitely not with this much success. I frequent 225 with military presses, not behind the neck.

Pro's and Con's about the trap pre-exhaust. I wasn't in the mood to lift this morning, I'll be honest. I played with the idea of either biceps, back, or shoulders and none of them seemed appealing, so I thought I'd do a pseudo-workout and hit all traps, which isn't that out of the ordinary for me, I'm a fan of traps and forearms like no other, oddly so.

You can't help but get the testosterone flowing when you throw around 405lbs (ESPECIALLY with deads!), but shrugs will do it too. So my energy went up, motivation shot up, and innovation awakened. Furthermore, following my shrugs, my shoulders were so oiled up and primed for presses and after having hundreds and hundreds of pounds bearing down on your axial skeleton, seated presses with half the weight felt like a walk in the park.

Con, the delts don't get all the attention they deserve due to limited energy, but I don't always train traps first, so its alright this time.

rolandajoint

rolandajoint

Awards
  • Established
jesus man. first workout and youve already out done yourself. good luck topping this one :thumbsup:

Irish Cannon

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Doesn't that almost sorta piss you off when you aren't in the mood to lift yet you totally crush everything?

...even worse is when you are totally amped to lift and then your strength ends up being sub-par.

alwaysgaining

alwaysgaining

Awards
  • Established
Good luck Sam! Glad to see you chose to run this solo. Also if you picked this up at NP and bought it before the 7% sale, we can apply it retroactively :)

About the dosing, it's a personal preference thing. We still don't know how PRIME works, but I think running it a 9caps/day, 7 days/week would be the best way, but it's your call. Good luck :thumbsup:

yes personal indeed, i ran 6 aday for 7 days stright and had lable like results
in my new log i will be dosing 9 aday for a week to induce the 4th week type results much quicker