grapefruit effects

smokey the bear

smokey the bear

Awards
  • Established
OK, so i have heard repeatedly that grapefruit juice increases the absorption of non-methylated pro-hormones. first of all, is this true. secondly, can grapefruit seed extract be used to acquire the same effects on absorbtion? fire away boys...

Ubiquitous

Ubiquitous

Awards
  • Established
bergamottin, a major furanocoumarin in grapefruit juice, can be used to increase bioavailabilty of some compounds.

Grapefruit seed extract has high anti-oxidant properties.

I took this from pureliquidgold site.

Grapefruit seed extract is being used successfully in humans and animals alike to fight many types of internal and external infections caused from parasites (single and multi-celled), viruses, bacteria, fungus and more!

The greatest benefit is due to it's multipurpose (broad spectrum) effect. It is effective even if the causes of the infections are known, unknown or misdiagnosed. Grapefruit seed extract naturally detoxifies, enhances and supports the immune system.

Grapefruit seed extract contains high levels of vitamin C and E, and bioflavonoids. The important substances have an antioxidant action and can neutralize free radicals that damage cells and cause a number of illnesses.

Another important benefit of grapefruit seed extract is that it is helpful in alkalizing the blood. Alkalizing the body fluids (raising pH) is one of the single most important health regeneration benefits available as disease causing microforms (fungi, bacteria, virus etc.) cannot survive in an alkaline oxygenated environment. Though lemons, limes, and grapefruits are chemically acid, tests show that when they are metabolized in the body they actually have an alkalizing effect. They have very little sugar and they contain an abundance of oxygen. This is a plus for anyone fighting candida or any other disease. Conclusion: Eat more fresh vegetables and less processed foods as most all vegetables are alkaline forming in the body.

Grapefruit seed extract is effective at very low concentrations. During 1989-90, an international research team (reported in the Journal of Orthomolecular Medicine, Volume 5, No. 3, USA, 1990) examined the effects of GSE and compared this with 30 effective antibiotics and 18 proven fungicides. GSE was found to perform as well as any and all of the tested agents. Without the harsh side effects. It is a natural alternative to strong antibiotics.

Grapefruit seed extract is nontoxic. According to an independent laboratory testing "Acute Oral Toxicity", it would take at least 4,000 times the normal dose of gse to produce a 50% chance of poisoning (called LD50).

Because grapefruit seed extract does not exhibit the harsh side effects and high cost of pharmaceuticals it is becoming the alternative health choice for naturopathic physicians, clinics and the general public.

Internal uses include but not limited to : Digestive Upsets: Gastrointestinal Disorders, Diarrhea and Food Poisoning. Infections from: Parasites (single and multi-celled), Bacterial, Viral and Fungal. Candida Yeast Infections, Thrush and Chronic Fatigue. Oral Infections: Tooth Plaque, Gum Disorders, Breath Freshener and Mouthwash. Colds and Flu, Sore Throats, Strep Throat, Ear Inflammation / Pain, Gassiness, Sinusitis and much more!

External uses include but not limited to: Acne, Athletes Foot, Nail Fungus Infections. Skin Infections: Fungal / Bacterial / Parasitic / Viral / Ringworm, Cuts / Wounds. Warts, Poison Ivy/Poison Oak, Rashes, Jock Itch, Shaving Itch, Dandruff, Cold Sores / Herpes, Head Lice, Chickenpox, Cracked Lips, Toothbrush Cleaning and much more!

Physicians have observed that the herpes simplex virus becomes inactive just ten minutes after the application of grapefruit seed extract.

So I don't see the seed extract to have the same effects as bergamottin.. but I also have another little tidbit of info for you, about this beneficial extract..

It increases the shelf life of injectable oils... tremendously. It has amazing preservative qualities. 2% of the total volume, and you're golden.

beau007

Awards
I can't say anything about the grapefruit extract, but just from experience I do notice a (+) difference if I drink a shot of grapefruit juice with any prohormone, and even other suppliments. I don't think it's just the placebo effect either, although I have not been that scientific about it :icon_lol:

I know that it affects many prescription drugs, so much so that several prescription drugs have warnings NOT to consume grapefruit/juice with them, for example, as it increases the potency of the dose.

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
I don't know about the extract, but DS had an article on their site about grapefruit juice and orals.

warriorway

warriorway

Awards
  • Established
Yes, the juice blocks an enzyme in your liver for breaking down drugs. Many prescription drugs have warnings on the labels to not eat grapefruit because of this.

milwood

milwood

Awards
  • Established
It's the methylated PH/PS's that are supposedly assisted in efficacy via grapefruit juice. May be non-methyls too, based on the pharmaceutical interaction. I don't think the grapefruit extract has the same effect, but I could be wrong. Search this, as there are several good discussions here and elsewhere.

smokey the bear

smokey the bear

Awards
  • Established
UB, YOU ARE THE MAN, very informative post.. it looks as if the grapefruit seed extract may be useful despite the fact that it doesn't really effect absorption. the fact that it does increase the shelf life of injectable oils is a rather intersting...
So is the bergamottin found in DHB supplements actually useful. By the sounds of it, DHB supplementation ran concurrently with pro-hormone administration will increase absorption?? Thanks for the insight my friends.......

Apowerz6

Apowerz6

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
DHB does help, thats why IDS used them in all there pre jan.20 ban... good stuff

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
Just an FYI...grapefruit juice and Nolva are contraindicated. Do not use them together.

smokey the bear

smokey the bear

Awards
  • Established
Is the grapefruit/nolva contradiction because of tendency for prescription drugs not to be taken with grapefruit juice? or is there an actual 'conflict' of ingredients which causes side effects est...

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
I'm not sure, I think it potentiates the more toxic aspects of nolva and stresses the liver harder...in effect it makes it like taking a high dose.

jonny21

jonny21

Awards
  • Established
Yes, the juice blocks an enzyme in your liver for breaking down drugs. Many prescription drugs have warnings on the labels to not eat grapefruit because of this.
It actually has an effect in the intestinal wall. Inhibits Cytochrome P450 which decreases metabolism of certain chemicals and like Bioman stated increases actual amount of drug that reaches blood stream.

UberPooper1

Awards
  • Established
It actually has an effect in the intestinal wall. Inhibits Cytochrome P450 which decreases metabolism of certain chemicals and like Bioman stated increases actual amount of drug that reaches blood stream.
so with that being said cant you take the grapefruit juice with a lower dose of nolva and yield the same results as more nolva and no grapefruit juice?

jonny21

jonny21

Awards
  • Established
so with that being said cant you take the grapefruit juice with a lower dose of nolva and yield the same results as more nolva and no grapefruit juice?
I wouldn't recommend it. It can increase the negative side effects and toxicity.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
Think of it this way..a drug like nolva has been heavily studied, it's dose dependent effects are well known and we have a good feel for what say, 40 mg does for you on PCT. If you add grapefriut juice you pretty much add in a bunch of variables..most of which we don't know about and what they will do. It may allow you to get away with a lower dose..but why risk all of the other unknowns on what is a pretty cheap drug?

smokey the bear

smokey the bear

Awards
  • Established
hear ya bioman, i was thinking more of using the DHB on a pro hormone cycle, not during pct, but good to know. it sounds as if DHB will also increase the absorption of non-hormonal substances such as arginine, creatine, and maybe even vitamins/minerals??