STUDY: AAS and Left Ventricle hypertrophy

brogers

Awards
  • Established
Left Ventricular Wall Thickening Does Occur in Elite Power Athletes with or without Anabolic Steroid Use. By: Dickerman, Rob D.; Schaller, Frederick; McConathy, Walter J.. Cardiology, 1998, Vol. 90 Issue 2, p145-148

Abstract:Reports on the occurrence of left ventricular wall thickening in resistance-trained athletes have rejected the possibility for this physiological adaptation to occur without concomitant anabolic steroid abuse. Others have concluded short bursts of arterial hypertension that occur with maximal weight lifting are not sufficient to induce left ventricular wall thickening, and left ventricular wall thickness =13 mm should not be found in pure resistance-trained athletes. Therefore, we examined 4 elite resistance-trained athletes by two-dimensional echocardiography. In addition, we retrospectively examined the individual left ventricular dimensions of 13 bodybuilders from our previous echocardiographic studies. All 4 elite resistance-trained athletes had left ventricular wall thicknesses beyond 13 mm. One of the elite bodybuilders has the largest left ventricular wall thickness (16 mm) ever reported in a power athlete. Retrospectively, 43% of the drug-free bodybuilders and 100% of the steroid users had left ventricular wall thickness beyond the normal range of 11 mm. In addition, 1 drug-free subject and 3 steroid users were beyond the critical mark of 13 mm. No subjects demonstrated diastolic dysfunction. In contrast to previous reports, we have demonstrated that left ventricular wall thicknesses =13 mm can be found routinely in elite resistance-trained athletes. The use of anabolic steroids concomitant with intensive resistance exercise does appear to augment left ventricular size without dysfunction. Anabolic steroids may accelerate left ventricular wall thickening indirectly by increasing strength, thus augmenting the pressor response.

Grassroots082

Grassroots082

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
This is my main concern w/ AAS use. Scares the hell out of me.

Steve325

Banned
Awards
but they still haven't figured out if it's a good thing or a bad thing yet, so what's there to be scared of?

ur gonna die some day, do it doing something you enjoy

sweet-physique

sweet-physique

Awards
  • Established
but they still haven't figured out if it's a good thing or a bad thing yet, so what's there to be scared of?

ur gonna die some day, do it doing something you enjoy
Bury me big!

mywetnightmares

Kyra Gracie= my future wife
Awards
  • Established
Reminds me of a shirt i once saw, "Dianabol: Die big, die young"

brogers

Awards
  • Established
The most important part is:

The use of anabolic steroids concomitant with intensive resistance exercise does appear to augment left ventricular size without dysfunction.

WITHOUT DYSFUNCTION!

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
Don't get too excited..it's a purely preliminary finding. This study does not look at the long term effects of this phenomena. None of the atheletes currently had any dysfunction..but what happens as they age?

Good post Brogers.

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
Don't get too excited..it's a purely preliminary finding. This study does not look at the long term effects of this phenomena. None of the atheletes currently had any dysfunction..but what happens as they age?

Good post Brogers.
From what I see in the Arnold era, BBers, I'd speculate that what happens ranges from nothing to minimal consequence. There has been no wave of deaths associated with the bodybuilders of yesteryear and many of them are in their 70s now!

(And, on a side note, I hope nobody is fooled into thinking that the BBers of arnolds day and before actually took smaller dosages. They lacked GH and IGF, slin, etc, however.)