my first abcess....

snakebyte05

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Well after I was "moving" stuff around in my room I ran up against a rusty "nail" and believe I have an abcess now. It is about 3x6, a big lumpy, looks like a rash, and is nice and warm to the touch. Tomorrow I am going to go get a thermameter and take my temperature. If it is above 100degress I will be taking a trip to the docter. I will tell them about the poke i got int he leg during moving stuff. Anyways I have used pen to circle it to judge if it gets bigger by tomorrow morning. I was "poked" yesterday afternoon. Any suggestions? I have read around on the board and basically ive seen go to the docter if it is hot the the touch, swollen, and you have a fever.

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
z-packs. You should also check out Dr. D's antibiotic thread. Good luck dealing with it bro.

chasec

Pityin' fools since '81
Awards
  • Established
if it starts getting streaks of color across it you know for sure. anyways, go to a doctor. your pride isn't worth fucking up your leg

snakebyte05

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
if it starts getting streaks of color across it you know for sure. anyways, go to a doctor. your pride isn't worth fucking up your leg
I took my temperature today and it is not high, it was 99degrees. Also the red spot has not grown, nor decreased, but swelling has gone down. Do you guys think I should still go to the docter or keep a steady eye on it?

size

Awards
  • Established
Without an negative changes and an elevated temp., then I see no immediate emergency.

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
Red streaks is something entirely different...at that point, its become cellulitis. Definitely very nasty...

My point: if there are red streaks RUN to the ER.

Otherwise, I'd say watch it for changes, maybe stick a pin in there and see if you can draw out puss...if so, you've got an infection and its time to get yourself some antibiotics. Maybe start with the AB's now anyway.

See Dr.D's Posts in the OTC forum.

mywetnightmares

Kyra Gracie= my future wife
Awards
  • Established
I had cellulitis once. I got it from wrestling. It was right in the middle of cross country season and I had to run a race so I had to get on ABs and go in the morning of the race have them check it out and then clear me for the race. It hurt like a bitch and I had to run with a big ol' bandage on my arm since they drained it, but it was one of my best races ever.

jeezlouis

Awards
dude go to the doc and get a tetnus shot to be safe you dont want to get lock jaw
you need to be carefull with puncture wounds if you havent had a tetnus shot in the past few years

shct

Banned
Awards
  • Established
i was hired by a friend to move out a family. him and i were bringing out a mini-couch and my side slipped and his hand got all cut up from some staples in the side of the couch.

2 days later, he saw a red line coming from the wound up his arm and straight across to his heart area as well as increased body temperature. The doc said another few days and he could of died.

not something to foul around with. tetnus shot is a co-pay at the doc and maybe a dew dollars or risk ur life..

shct

fork

Awards
I'm pretty sure you can tell the doc how you got it and he can't do anything like call the law right?? patient confidentiality

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
I'm pretty sure you can tell the doc how you got it and he can't do anything like call the law right?? patient confidentiality
He can tell your insurance company, and your insurance will skyrocket. Aside from that, he can do nothing.