Experiment: Removing a esterified hormone from oil.

Goanna

Awards
Experiment: Removing an esterified hormone from oil.

I have decided that my homebrew test enanthate is not going to be used anymore. Its irritating the **** out of me each time I use it, and the whole muscle I inject in turns red for a couple days, so I really dont like that.

From what I read, it happens to others as well when using enanthate. It seems some people are sensative to it. Unfortunatly I guess I am one of them.

Anyway, rather then throw out the say 35ml of test e I have left, I figure maybe I can experiment.

Does anyone know if an esterified hormone has higher slubility in alcohol then in oil, or is it vice/versa?

Here is what I am thinking of.

Add my 35ml of oil to 500ml of isopropanol (rubbing alcohol) or methanol.

Set this solution on a magnetic stirrer for several hours to keep the alcohol and oil from seperating.

Let solution sit so oil settles to the bottom, and then draw off the alcohol.

(Now, hopefully this alcohol will contain the hormone I need, but that depends on wether or not the hormone has a higher affinity to dissolve in alcohol then it does in oil, which I am not certain of).

From this point, I would most likely introduce some sodium hydroxide solution to the mix in order to strip the enanthate ester from the testosterone. But I could also set the alcohol under a slow drip of cold water for a few hours using 500-1000ml of water to cause the hormone to fall out of solution and crystalize. However, since I seem to respond bad to enanthate, the first option is the best in my book :D.

So, whos got an opinion on this? Is this worth trying, or am I wasting my time?

Goanna

Awards
Okay, well I decided to do this on a small scale first. I had a few ml's of 1 test cypionate lying around from a previous cycle that I knew I wanst going to use again, so I am using that to test out the above experiment.

I put 2 ml of 1 test cyp into 35ml isopropyl alcohol and set it on the magnetic stirrer for about a half hour. Then I quickly transfered it to a larger beaker so that I could easily seperate the oil and alcohol using a syringe.

So, now Ihave the alcohol in a large beaker with a ice drip setup above it. It has turned milky white with the first few drips so I imagine something is happening. I will probably go to about 200ml of water, maybe more, and then try filtering it.

As a control, I also tried the same method with just the oil, no alcohol, and it is also under an ice drip now. So I will update in a bit with the results.

Goanna

Awards
It didnt work with Isopropanol. I was not able to recover any crystals.

Animal recommended I use Methanol instead of isopropanol, or ether or cloroform if I can get my hands on them. I'll set up the experiment again this weekend using methanol and see how it works out.

weeenisss

Board Supporter
Awards
here is a twist on it maybe a different method

Solvent extraction is a process of separating one constituent from a mixture by dissolving it in a solvent in which it is soluble but in which the other constituents of the mixture are not. The process is usually carried out in the liquid phase, in which case it is also known as liquid-liquid extraction. In liquid-liquid extraction, the solution containing the desired constituent must be immiscible with the rest of the mixture. The process is widely used in extracting oil from oil-bearing material.

During extraction, a component is separated from its mixture by selective solubility. If a substance is in contact with two different phases then, in general, it will have a different affinity for each phase. Part of the substance will be absorbed or dissolved by one and part by the other, the relative amounts depending on the relative affinities. The substance is said to be partitioned between the two phases. For example, if two immiscible liquids are taken and a third compound is shaken up with them, then an equilibrium is reached in which the concentration in one solvent differs from that in the other. The ratio of the concentrations is the partition coefficient of the system. The partition law states that this ratio is a constant for a given liquid. Factors such as the nature of the solvent used, the temperature etc. would affect the efficiency of extraction.

basically you get two solvents that do not mix (i.e. oil and water) shake them up then let them settle and extract on solvent from another using a pipet or similar instrument. for the issue at hand, oil is the one solvent, i cannot find info on another one that is immiscible(wont mix) with oil. i needs to have a higher solubility than oil or at least the process would have to be repeated several times to remove the solute from the oil. water doesnt work because the solute doesnt dissolve in the water. If someone has info on a particular solvent that would work, please feel free to comment.