Deloading and PCT

mmorso

mmorso

Awards
  • Established
I'm curious as to how a lot of you guys schedule your de-loading phases when running cycles... I've read that it's important to continue training hard in PCT, but after running a 16 wk cycle, I'm so damn burnt physically and mentally that I've been easing up on volume and frequency. Is this a bad idea?

On cycle I was lifting 5-6 days a week for around 1.5 hrs a day. I'm now lifting 4-5 days a week and keep the sessions between 45mins and an hour. I'm still lifting heavy and haven't noticed any loss of strength and my weight has been pretty stable. I'm 3 weeks into PCT..

I still feel fried and in need of a break.. Would it be a good idea to decrease weight loads and go for higher reps for a couple weeks or should I continue challenging my working loads?

NewAgeMayan

Awards
You can still keep your intensity up (#RM) with lower volume, perhaps even increase it. That would be the most important training variable, generally speaking. A deload can be achieved in a number of ways ie total gym abstinence...decrease weekly volume...decrease %RM...avoid training to failure...etc

ericos_bob

Awards
  • Established
In for the responses. It's something that's a little confusing as there's so mny opinions on what is best. When training natty and I've overreached it's always better to cut right back on training for a while. I'd imagine if you are burned out from a cycle and continue to maintain intensity then recovery will also be prolonged. Question is does a fast recovery through reduced or zero training in PCT retain more of your gains?

NewAgeMayan

Awards
If you continue to train as part of a deload, one of the best objective indicators of letting you know you are not overdoing things is the maintanence of strength levels.

If you are getting weaker, you are not recovering. Simple. Best way to gauge the maintanence of strength levels regardless of rep range (relative strength) is...to keep training your #RMs.

What kind of deload is best will depend in part on what your training was leading into the overreach, and how far into the overreach you are.