Wow: Terminalia arjuna beat nandrolone in bone healing rates (animal study)

pogue

pogue

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Effect of Anabolic Steroid in Accelerating Healing Process of Experimentally Fractured Tibia of Rats and Compare its Fracture Healing Property with Terminalia arjuna

Giri Reena1*, Giri Kiran2 and Palandurkar Kamlesh3
Department of Pharmacology, GMC, Medical College, Rajnandgaon, CG, India
Department of Pharmacology, BHU, India
Department of Biochemistry, BHU, India

Abstract

Musculoskeletal injuries existed throughout human history.“Fracture” defined as a break in the continuity of the bone. Prolonged period required for healing of fractures entails much suffering & economic loss to the patient. Varied products from vitamins to hormones - tried to hasten the process of bone healing - unfortunately without positive outcome. Arjun tree with its roots in Indian mythology, known to have good effects on bone healing from many centuries. Anabolic steroids, are a class of steroid hormones related to the hormone testosterone. They increases protein synthesis within cells, which results in the building up of cellular tissue. Except few studies, no extensive investigations have been made for improving this inherent biological phenomenon of bone healing. Hence, the research question was formulated as “whether the herb Arjuna terminalia & anabolic steroid induce favorable response in bone healing & to evaluate their fracture healing property radiologically. In our study we induce fracture in 16 wistar albino rats of either sex using 3-point bending method. Two treatment groups made as Terminalia arjuna & anabolic steroid group. Treatment given for 4 weeks & rats investigated radiologically for fracture healing phenomenon. Terminalia arjuna treated animals revealed faster initiation of healing process than anabolic steroid treated group. Healing was almost complete within four weeks of fracture in Terminalia arjuna treated animals & remained incomplete in anabolic steroid treated animals. Our study indicates - daily administration of an alcoholic extract of Arjuna terminalia orally in the dosage of 500mg/kg has definite action on the rate of healing of fractures.
Anybody wanna calculate the HED of 500mg/kg of Arjuna terminalia for humans? I bet it's quite a bit and probably expensive.

More info on Terminalia arjuna Terminalia arjuna - Scientific Review on Usage, Dosage, Side Effects | Examine.com
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terminalia_arjuna

Full study: http://www.ijcmas.com/5-5-2016/Giri Reena, et al.pdf

2kvette

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I weigh 250lb so kg/2.2lb = 114kg. 114kg * 500mg/kg = 57,000mg = 57g. So yea, that's a lot.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I weigh 250lb so kg/2.2lb = 114kg. 114kg * 500mg/kg = 57,000mg = 57g. So yea, that's a lot.
You have to convert the mg/kg since the study was done using rats. 500 mg/kg * 0.16 = 80 mg/kg for people. That's 4.8g for a 60kg person, and 9.12g for someone your weight. I also don't know what the extract used was, as that may factor in if you're using a different strength extract.

2kvette

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
You have to convert the mg/kg since the study was done using rats. 500 mg/kg * 0.16 = 80 mg/kg for people. That's 4.8g for a 60kg person, and 9.12g for someone your weight. I also don't know what the extract used was, as that may factor in if you're using a different strength extract.
Where are you finding these conversion factors?

2kvette

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Wow, never seen that in my whole life. And I work in the drug industry.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Wow, never seen that in my whole life. And I work in the drug industry.
It's pretty common for studies to use those numbers. It's often even mentioned that X dose used for a given animal is equivalent to Y dose for people in the texts, and it matches up with those conversions. Useful stuff.

2kvette

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Yes very, I read the link to the fda. When it said BSA I was like "oh, duh!"

pogue

pogue

Banned
Awards
  • Established
So, I googled, and the first source I http://www.starwest-botanicals.com/category/arjuna-bark/came across was $18.25 for 1lb. So bearing in mind I don't know the quality or anything like that, this is just a guesstimate. There are 453.6 grams in a lb. I'm terrible at math, but that would mean and I'm approximating here, but using 9g a day which would be 1.85 tsp (teaspoons) would come out to about 50 servings at around $2 a serving.

mbonheur

mbonheur

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Yes, 2$ a serving is not exactly correct. If we take your 50 servings, it should be 18,25/50= 36,5 cents.

Btw commonly it is recommended to use like 500mg thrice a day

NewAgeMayan

Awards
Has anyone been able to source an aqueous extract of arjuna

pogue

pogue

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Yes, 2$ a serving is not exactly correct. If we take your 50 servings, it should be 18,25/50= 36,5 cents.

Btw commonly it is recommended to use like 500mg thrice a day
The study I included showed a level of 500mg/kg/per day for rats. You could need to calculate the HED to determine how much you would need for it to be biologically active.

mbonheur

mbonheur

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
The study I included showed a level of 500mg/kg/per day for rats. You could need to calculate the HED to determine how much you would need for it to be biologically active.
Yeah, I'm just talking about the general recommendations in ayurvedic medicine, not about your study in particular. It is interesting though since I have only heard about it for cardiovascular health purposes.

furion

furion

Awards
  • Established
There is major overlooked limitations to this study
1) The interventions and analyses administered and conducted was only done so over 4 weeks- All research identifying the anti-osteopenic/osteogenic activity of nandrolone has been conducted at a minimal of one year (with administration intervals 3/52)- This is really what you would expect from a long acting steroid.
2) The experimental fracture models used are not pathogenic (i.e. not result of osteoporosis)- As far as I can see there is no research indicating nandrolone has acute osteogenic activity- so this model is really not applicable for accurate analyses.

The rationale for using nandrolone as a comparative intervention is very loose (let alone very poorly written) and actually literally 'cherry picks' word for word exact quotes from the abstract of a cited paper!

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
So, I googled, and the first source I http://www.starwest-botanicals.com/category/arjuna-bark/came across was $18.25 for 1lb. So bearing in mind I don't know the quality or anything like that, this is just a guesstimate. There are 453.6 grams in a lb. I'm terrible at math, but that would mean and I'm approximating here, but using 9g a day which would be 1.85 tsp (teaspoons) would come out to about 50 servings at around $2 a serving.
Remember, the 500mg/kg used in the study was already an extract, not just raw herb powder. Until you know what the extract ratio is or if it's standardized for anything, you can't really replicate it completely.

2kvette

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
2kvette that is why you're super swole ... you've been taking too big a dose!

Funny thing is, I've never done a test cycle above 250mg/wk. but at this point I've ran so much stuff I can't even remember it all lol. Getting to 250 has take me 7 years of work.

criticalbench

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Pretty interesting.

Auslifter

Auslifter

Awards
  • Established
I have always found Terminalia interesting