Holy back pumps!!

swolequest

Awards
Whats up guys!? So, I'm currently 3 weeks in on a max lmg, epi stack... Back pumps are crazy! My last cycle was epi and I had pumps but not like this. It hurts all day everyday. Sitting down hurts! Just my lower back and I can't even bare squats or deadlift. Is something wrong? Anyone else had them this bad? My last cycle it would hurt to squat and DL but would go away the next day or so... I drink a gal of water a day. Supps are:

Fish oil
Orange triad multis
Bcaa
And 3G taurine/ just upped it to 6g

BlumpkinKing

BlumpkinKing

Awards
Whats up guys!? So, I'm currently 3 weeks in on a max lmg, epi stack... Back pumps are crazy! My last cycle was epi and I had pumps but not like this. It hurts all day everyday. Sitting down hurts! Just my lower back and I can't even bare squats or deadlift. Is something wrong? Anyone else had them this bad? My last cycle it would hurt to squat and DL but would go away the next day or so... I drink a gal of water a day. Supps are: Fish oil Orange triad multis Bcaa And 3G taurine/ just upped it to 6g
It's good your using taurine. I from my experience with steroids I've had them and hate them. But I blame it mostly on poor form.

swolequest

Awards
Did you have pumps on non back or leg days?
Yeah. Taurine preworkout does help... I don't think it's from poor form because it hurts everyday although poor form would make it worse. Meh. I can deal with it either way as long as results keep coming! I'm stronger every workout dispute the pumps!

BlumpkinKing

BlumpkinKing

Awards
Did you have pumps on non back or leg days? Yeah. Taurine preworkout does help... I don't think it's from poor form because it hurts everyday although poor form would make it worse. Meh. I can deal with it either way as long as results keep coming! I'm stronger every workout dispute the pumps!
Not anymore since I always work on making my form better . I get them on cycle if I'm really loading the bar for deads. But besides that under control.

pyrobatt

pyrobatt

Awards
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • Established
Whats up guys!? So, I'm currently 3 weeks in on a max lmg, epi stack... Back pumps are crazy! My last cycle was epi and I had pumps but not like this. It hurts all day everyday. Sitting down hurts! Just my lower back and I can't even bare squats or deadlift. Is something wrong? Anyone else had them this bad? My last cycle it would hurt to squat and DL but would go away the next day or so... I drink a gal of water a day. Supps are:

Fish oil
Orange triad multis
Bcaa
And 3G taurine/ just upped it to 6g
Ever think it could be a potassium problem? 4.5 to 7 g is recommended for athletes. I suggest to get it more through diet however.

fueledpassion

fueledpassion

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
It's good your using taurine. I from my experience with steroids I've had them and hate them. But I blame it mostly on poor form.
This is it. Poor form + higher red blood cell count = painful pumps.

He needs to work on form and keeping a tight, arched back when squatting and DL. This used to be problematic for me as well but there are things that help alleviate it quite well.

- Proper form
- Training belt
- Avoid deep squats. Stay parallel. Wide stance toes out only.
- Have spotter press his/her knuckles or thumbs into ur lower back and press upwards as if trying to push the blood out of the pumped area. ( this is the most effective ). Do this immediately after each set of squats or deads for about 15 seconds each time.
- Lay on ur back to rest ur core. Try lifting legs up and rolling them forward to stretch lower back every few seconds while ur laying on floor.

swolequest

Awards
Potassium. I did think of that but have just been trying to eat more no supplementation. The thing with form is I've always had good form and use a belt even with warm up sets.. So far I haven't gone over 275 for either squats or deadlift. That's the first thing I thought of too. Unless with the pumps I compromise my form to ease the pain... Hmm. I will have someone check my form tonight. I sleep on my back and when I wake up and stand I feel like I had an intense back workout the day before. It does feel like it's stretching when I pull my knees to my chest. I will also try to stretch it out more than normal...

pyrobatt

pyrobatt

Awards
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • Established
Potassium. I did think of that but have just been trying to eat more no supplementation. The thing with form is I've always had good form and use a belt even with warm up sets.. So far I haven't gone over 275 for either squats or deadlift. That's the first thing I thought of too. Unless with the pumps I compromise my form to ease the pain... Hmm. I will have someone check my form tonight. I sleep on my back and when I wake up and stand I feel like I had an intense back workout the day before. It does feel like it's stretching when I pull my knees to my chest. I will also try to stretch it out more than normal...
I suggest reading up on potassium and bodybuilding. I upped my potassium and now even on cycle no pumps without taurine.

I upped it through diet. 1lb of beef has 1.6grams in it. A 400g size potato has 1g.

Broccoli has 200 mg or so per 1 cup chopped.

Fish have a bunch.

Bananas have 500mg per large banana.

Spinach is potassium and iron dense.

Milk has like 300 mg per cup.

Bunch of other foods high in potassium. I highly suggest monitoring it

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
Ever think it could be a potassium problem? 4.5 to 7 g is recommended for athletes. I suggest to get it more through diet however.
I was gonna post this

swolequest

Awards
Ok. I will keep 3-6g taurine and eat more potassium. Water intake is between 1gal to 1.5 gal.. Should be good in that. Not doing cardio right now.... I will keep you guys posted!

GeekPoop

GeekPoop

Awards
  • Established
alongside the suggestions, I would do some stretching / flexibility stuff too. That's helped me quite a bit

deadliftz

Awards
Back pumps are debilitating at best every time I do deadlifts, but I roll on a PVC pipe between sets and it helps a bit.

AlexPowell

AlexPowell

Awards
  • Established
if you boil / stew your meat
make sure you drink the broth

swolequest

Awards
Unfortunately I'm deployed and cannot cook my own meals... I can choose between a few things and try to eat the most potassium enriched ones. Pumps are feeling a little better but I still wake up in the middle of the night with a dull pain and cannot get comfy again! So far less than 7 hrs of sleep a night. I'm going lighter on back days which I'm pissed about and upped taurine to 6 or more grams a day.

AlexPowell

AlexPowell

Awards
  • Established
If you can get taurine you can make broth bro

AlexPowell

AlexPowell

Awards
  • Established
Yeah man, just get some stock cubes, add in that low sodium salt (it's sodium + potassium) and you're good to go
Even better if it's made with bones or "real" broth from the kitchen
I have a cup of broth post training as I keto diet and piss out lots of electrolytes

See when you have low sodium, you will piss out all the magnesium and potassium. When you load sodium, the body spares them.
So if you boil your meet, the potassium will leak out into the broth and unless you actually drink it you're not getting any potassium in your diet. Grilled, not an issue. So soups are great, so are stews if they mix in some of the juices in the bowl too, I'm sure you'll figure it out

threeFs

threeFs

Awards
This is it. Poor form + higher red blood cell count = painful pumps.

He needs to work on form and keeping a tight, arched back when squatting and DL. This used to be problematic for me as well but there are things that help alleviate it quite well.

- Proper form
- Training belt
- Avoid deep squats. Stay parallel. Wide stance toes out only.
I can't agree with this

Building dependency on a belt is rubbish advice. Advising half squats neglects the posterior chain and will overdevelop the anterior chain.

Edit but I do agree with increased K and Na

fueledpassion

fueledpassion

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I can't agree with this

Building dependency on a belt is rubbish advice. Advising half squats neglects the posterior chain and will overdevelop the anterior chain.

Edit but I do agree with increased K and Na
Who said half squats!?? Who said build dependency on a weight belt?

I said go parallel. By parallel, I dont mean half squats, I mean full squats.

Nevermind I have delt with EXACTLY the same problem and this fixed it. With that said, I really dont care anymore about this thread. Everyone has got an opinion, and more than half of u have no communication skills over the internet because u have no respect, no ability to realize that there is more than your own solution, and u have no tact or accuracy in ur argument. Show some respect, and read carefully next time. It might take u a long way with others in the future.

AlexPowell

AlexPowell

Awards
  • Established
wearing a belt increases quad and hamstring activation but does not change midsection activation at all
that being said I rarely wear my belt and I compete in powerlifting

threeFs

threeFs

Awards
Parallel is not full squat. Parallel is parallel. Many who go parallel are actually above parallel because they are looking at quads instead of hip angle. Sorry if my internet etiquette is not up to your standards but your poor advising is not up to mine. "Wear a belt, go halfway down..."

No.

Edit and those aren't the cause nor the solutions to back pumps.