T3 People - AACE Hypothyroidism def (subclinical)

crazydoc1

Awards
This is a link to the AACE guidelines for clinical and subclinical hypo and
hyperthyroidism..... an interesting read for those thining about Synthroid, Armour,
generic or other exogeneous T3, T4, or combination therapy..

http://www.aace.com/clin/guidelines/hypo_hyper.pdf

I have a sluggish thryoid myself.... I'd really like to hear people's stories with
actual FT3,FT4, and/or TSH titers showing their short term use of these meds and
where they brought theri #s too and what if any cardiac effects they had and whether
they had hypo effects on the back end..... the hypo induced depression isn't something I want to
contend with..

My #1 observation going on 40mcg of T3 for 3 weeks was how easy it was to get up in the morning.
this was a new thing for me..... I don't think I lost any weight or gained any muscle though.. I slept
for the better part of 2 days when I came off.... shifted hypo I think......

TSH went 1.61 ---> 1.1 in 3wk ----> 3-weeks off-- its back to 1.71...
FT4 only shifted 0.90 ---> 0.99...

I would enjoy hearing others experiences ... quantitative would be great..

DR.D

DR.D

Awards
  • Established
With 0.200mg Levathroid (don't use Synthroid) per day chronic, my values typically look like:

T3 uptake 37%
T4 total 11.3 mcg/dl
T index free 13.1 mciu/dl

I'll go up another 50 or 75 mic's when on. I love it. I gained 10lbs of muscle the first month I was on it, and now I hardly ever gain fat. This is atypical, most lose weight but I was slightly hypo. I heal from injuries very quickly but some drugs must be used in higher doses and more freq. because you metabolize and detox very fast. It keeps chol low so take saff or flax oil daily. I've done this for over 10yr now no prob. I once knew someone who used even higher doses than this and took a beta blocker to control cardio acc and peripheral sides. T4 kills depression, boosts energy, and puts libido into hyperdrive. Start very low and ramp up slow, take months if needed but don't get greedy at first. T3 is much less 'forgiving', use T4. After about 4 to 7 days, they work exactly the same.

crazydoc1

Awards
I am afraid of supressing endogenous production by way on long term use and am in the range for FT3, FT4, and TSH,
but again... its sluggish and my FT4 is bottom ended. Have you ever come off of it and if so, did you experience hypo
symptoms? I am not afraid of being on it forever as much as experiencing depression from the hypo effects when and if I come off of it.....

Thanks for the data.... I thought that paying attention to the bound T3 and T4 and FTI was old school and that
the FT3,FT4, and TSH were the principal indicators of choice these days... I've heard this opinion from several internal
meds and one endrocrinologist... A friend of mine (ICU attending for 2 decades) pushed me toward Synthroid notwithstanding that fact that I don't meet the AACE subclinical hypo definition.

As of last week (3 weeks off of a 3 week 40mcg run of generic (mostly T3))...
TSH - 1.709. uIU/mL
T4 - 7.1 ug/dL
T3 Uptake - 36%
FTI - 2.6
FT4 -- back down to 0.90..

I would always start dose at 25 mcg or so and cascade up.. I know the subclinical recommended non-geriatric dose
runs up to 1 mcg/kg which would push me to 112mcg which I don't want to test the waters with.

As to your anecdotal observations on it --- I share the observation of reduction in depression... and energy -- particular
getting up in the morning.... I did not notice a libido shift though.

Are you hypertensive? tachycardic? get arrythmias or have any EKG abnormalities show up while pushing up that
high on the T4 ?

With 0.200mg Levathroid (don't use Synthroid) per day chronic, my values typically look like:

T3 uptake 37%
T4 total 11.3 mcg/dl
T index free 13.1 mciu/dl

I'll go up another 50 or 75 mic's when on. I love it. I gained 10lbs of muscle the first month I was on it, and now I hardly ever gain fat. This is atypical, most lose weight but I was slightly hypo. I heal from injuries very quickly but some drugs must be used in higher doses and more freq. because you metabolize and detox very fast. It keeps chol low so take saff or flax oil daily. I've done this for over 10yr now no prob. I once knew someone who used even higher doses than this and took a beta blocker to control cardio acc and peripheral sides. T4 kills depression, boosts energy, and puts libido into hyperdrive. Start very low and ramp up slow, take months if needed but don't get greedy at first. T3 is much less 'forgiving', use T4. After about 4 to 7 days, they work exactly the same.

crazydoc1

Awards
FDA Warning on Levothyroid.....

http://www.mychiro.com/health/index.php?p=81

FDA Warns: Stop selling Levothyroid

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration has sent a warning to Forest Laboratories Inc. for failing to obtain approval for thyroid drug Levothyroid and told the company to stop marketing it, according to a letter released on August 19, 2003.

Levothyroid is a drug used for thyroid hormone replacement therapy. The indication is for replacement therapy for diminished or absent thyroid function. One problem with currently marketed formulations is a lack of stability and batch to batch reliability, according to the FDA.

“You have failed to obtain an approved application and have made a deliberate decision not to follow the agency’s gradual phase-out plan …,� the FDA wrote in a letter dated Aug. 7th 2003.

What is Levothyroid? The thyroid gland produces two key hormones levothyroxine and L triiodothyronine.

Thyroid drugs containing levothyroxine sodium were sold for years without FDA approval. In July 2001, the FDA told companies selling the drugs to submit applications for approval by August 14, 2003, while gradually phasing out production over two years.

Because Forest failed to do so, the FDA told the company to stop selling Levothroid. The letter requests a response within 15 days “stating the action you will take to discontinue the marketing of your Levothroid drug products.�

DR.D

DR.D

Awards
  • Established
I said don't use Synthroid because they are currently getting their butts suyed off for being up to 90% off on the reproducability of doses. People have died. As for the Levothroid, thanks for the update. Sounds mostly like sour grapes for a new drug application approval issue. Probably a money thing.

The low dose use of T4 will not result in endog. suppression any time soon. The high level stuff like I'm doing takes about 6 months before it even becomes a factor. But, my titer is practically undetectable now, and if you don't want to replace, I'd suggest not messing w/ it longer than 3-6 months at a time. If your TSH is that high, it's best to just replace T4 IMO. I would need to ramp down slowly if I wanted to discontinue at this point, and the hypo would be quite intolerable I'm sure.

I never had tach except initially if my increments were to rapid. Pulse rate stays slightly elevated though. If given the chance, I'd do it just the same again. It does not aggravate my congenital, pre-existing arrythmia either.