Second thoughts on Methyl-dien

exnihilo

exnihilo

Awards
  • Established
I'm currently taking designer supplements liquid beta (the good ones - thanks for hooking me up there sledge) @ 6mg/day, and I'm now about 1 week into it. I'm going to run it for 6 weeks I think, unless I encounter problems before then. My bodyweight before starting was 254.

I'm currently up to 259 (looks like all bloat to me), no physical/mental sides to speak of, however I have already noticed my strength gains have accelerated somewhat. I think the combination of overly conservative dosage information along with a lack of sides for the most part might bring someone to the mistaken conclusion that this substance is a loser. In actuality I have to say that though I have a feeling this substance is not going to prove to be a huge lean mass provider, I expect to end my cycle with a good increase in strength and some lean mass. I think this substance should be used for cutting, and at a higher than advised dosage for best effect.

my current best lifts are:

bench, 285x5
deadlift, 425x1
squat, 375x5
bent over row, 215x5
wide grip cable pulldown, 255x4
dumbell fly, 200x4
skull crusher, 155x4
barbell curl, 135x4

I will keep the board updated with my progress.

FBWrestlerNerd

Awards
Dude, how do you dumbell fly 200x4. My bench is about the same as yours and I am nowhere near that. You talking about the lift where you lie on your back and make a semi-circle with the dumbells?

exnihilo

exnihilo

Awards
  • Established
one 100lb dumbell in each hand, with a slight bend in your elbows, turn your wrists in towards the bottom of the lift to accomodate the leverage better, and just heave :D the angle between my shoulder and hand is about 120 degrees, and my elbows go below parallel. If you are using a straight or almost straight arm forget it.

N4cer

N4cer

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Arms should stay straight on DB flyes, IMHO.
Sure you can't do as much weight, but at least you don't look
like one of those dipshits that has 100lb dumbbells in each
hand doing flyes that are closer to a bench press.

N4cer

N4cer

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Yeah, that's the action I mean is right. I was just pointing out that some **** sticks in my gym do them more like a bench press. Sorry if I confused anyone. I'm a little frazzled today.

size

Awards
  • Established
That much bloating so quickly would cause me concern, leading to blood pressure increases.

maggmaster

Awards
  • Established
Your fly should definitely be lower, M1t users regularly see this kind of weight gain in a week but I would agree with Size get your bp checked NOW. No reason to take a risk with your cardiovasclar system.

VanillaGorilla

Awards
  • Established
Arms should slightly bent on db flys. Otherwise you could hyper extend your elbows.

N4cer

N4cer

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Slight, but as straight as possible. Of course not 100% straight, but close. It gives a much better stretch, and that's the point to flyes.

azgymrat

Awards
Personaly, I think that for growth there are sooo many exercises that are better than flies anyway. They have there place but certainly not as a strength movement.

exnihilo

exnihilo

Awards
  • Established
N4cer: try doing flyes with a 120 degree angle, and rotate your elbows inward towards the top of the movement rather than keeping them rotated the whole time.

Besides the fact that you can handle more weight (which is really incidental - if I wanted to look like a badass I'd do leg press instead of squats) this also removes much of the shearing force present on the shoulder joint at the bottom of the movement, and is more in line with my natural strength curve than having completely straight arms. You may be different than me (and in fact it is likely) but I find that a weight which causes discomfort in the bottom of the fly movement, and which is difficult to perform at that ROM, is extremely easy to perform once I am a little under a quarter of the way into the movement. If a weight which you can handle at the bottom of the lift without discomfort isn't ridiculously easy for you once you get past the very bottom portion of the movement you can of course disregard all of this.

azgymrat: I agree as far as a strength movement goes flyes aren't the first thing one would (or even should) think of, however because I perform my bench press movements with tucked elbows and an arched back (rather than the flat back and eblows facing outward as a typical bodybuilder might) the pectorals receive relatively little stress - I've been doing flyes to avoid getting excessively out of proportion :)

N4cer

N4cer

Banned
Awards
  • Established
No, I'm with ya, exnihilo. In fact, I prefer to do flyes in a half-range motion, since after the first 1/4 of the ROM, it's not doing much. So I'm with ya, bro.

propho

Awards
  • Established
funny it went from m-dien to how to exercise! haha

Onslaught

Awards
  • Established
If you're looking for the most effective way to do flyes, the cable machine is your answer. As N4cer stated, there is little tension after you complete half of the lift. With cables pulling down and to the side you keep tension longer; whereas with DB's, gravity only pulls down therefore the tension is significantly reduced after the first half of the movement. Another reason I like these is because it doesn't feel like a machine, your arms aren't stuck in only one plane and you're free to move through the natural ROM.

Skark

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, the cable crossover machine is real good for these.

The other interesting use for the crossover machine is using the upper pulleys for rear delt work. Sit on the bench face up, cross the pulleys forming an X (right pulley in left hand, left in right hand), keep a constant elbow angle and go to town, you get full tension through the whole ROM.

azgymrat

Awards
azgymrat: I agree as far as a strength movement goes flyes aren't the first thing one would (or even should) think of, however because I perform my bench press movements with tucked elbows and an arched back (rather than the flat back and eblows facing outward as a typical bodybuilder might) the pectorals receive relatively little stress - I've been doing flyes to avoid getting excessively out of proportion :)
I understand, blew out an elbow a month ago and can't work a press heavy enough to stress the pecs so flys fill the gap for now. They certainly have their place.