doctor doctor give me the news!!

ozarkaBRAND

ozarkaBRAND

Awards
  • Established
Seriously, somebody.

For future reference, what is the general length of dosing for Cephalexin when used for bacterial infections caused by injections?

I've read 500mg 3x daily, for 5 days. This was at an "ask a pharmacist" website. Alas, I'm not sure. Experts!!?

mooch2321

mooch2321

Awards
  • Established
are you planning on getting an infection...just use care and shoot clean...ive been pinning for a while and never once had a problem...

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Also, make sure if you [feel] you are experiencing a bacterial infection, that it is not merely aesthetic inflammation. No need to inject more compounds than necessary.

ozarkaBRAND

ozarkaBRAND

Awards
  • Established
are you planning on getting an infection...just use care and shoot clean...ive been pinning for a while and never once had a problem...
Haha.. hell no.

I've currently got a spot that I'm suspicious of, which is why I'm asking.

mooch2321

mooch2321

Awards
  • Established
dosages range from 250mgs-1000mgs 4 times a day based upon body weight....should be taken for 7-14 days

ozarkaBRAND

ozarkaBRAND

Awards
  • Established
Also, make sure if you [feel] you are experiencing a bacterial infection, that it is not merely aesthetic inflammation. No need to inject more compounds than necessary.
This is why I'm waiting this bad boy out. I am quite sure I at least nicked a vein, had much more bleeding than usual, plus the injection was rather painful.

PumpDogg

Awards
  • Established
Just watch the area closely bro.. If it swells up and starts turning red, or streaking, hot to the touch.. etc etc which Im sure you are already aware of what to look for, then get to a doc.. Had a good friend of mine 2 years ago get a shot site infection.. He took antibiotics he had, but it did not do the trick.. he had to go and have the site lanced, drained, cleaned and packed.. It was a nasty mess.. Said tons of green **** just poured out once it was opened up..
I know that sounds somewhat extreme, just want you to be careful, as it can get serious

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
This is why I'm waiting this bad boy out. I am quite sure I at least nicked a vein, had much more bleeding than usual, plus the injection was rather painful.
What are the symptoms currently?

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Seriously, somebody.

For future reference, what is the general length of dosing for Cephalexin when used for bacterial infections caused by injections?

I've read 500mg 3x daily, for 5 days. This was at an "ask a pharmacist" website. Alas, I'm not sure. Experts!!?

There are many factors that would determine the appropriate course of treatment (Be it antibiotics, Incision and drainage, or both) for any given abscess or cellulitis development. The physical complaint, presentation, and current symptomatology of the given event is paramount in making that type of decision as a healthcare practitioner.

nosnmiveins

nosnmiveins

Awards
  • Established
looks like an allergic reaction, take some benadryl and see what that does for u

ozarkaBRAND

ozarkaBRAND

Awards
  • Established
looks like an allergic reaction, take some benadryl and see what that does for u
I certainly hope that's all it is, but, why in this delt and not my other delt, or my ass, or quad for that matter?

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Pain, mild swelling, it's pink! Not especially warm though, not compared to the rest of my body. Here, I took a picture :) red spot outlined in light blue.

View attachment 26014
Based on the internet photo (which doesn't tell you much to be honest from an assessment standpoint) doesn't look overly concerning at this point.

Place a permanent marker outline around the circumfrence of this affected area. You want to assess for erythema (redness) expanding outside this border over the coming days, as well as the development of any new symptoms (I.E increased pain, swelling, fever, body aches, weakness.)

ozarkaBRAND

ozarkaBRAND

Awards
  • Established
Based on the internet photo (which doesn't tell you much to be honest from an assessment standpoint) doesn't look overly concerning at this point.

Place a permanent marker outline around the circumfrence of this affected area. You want to assess for erythema (redness) expanding outside this border over the coming days, as well as the development of any new symptoms (I.E increased pain, swelling, fever, body aches, weakness.)
You.
Are.
Amazing.

Thank you T1!!!

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
You.
Are.
Amazing.

Thank you T1!!!
No problem. It actually looks like a mild contact/chemical dermatitis to be honest based on this photo observation. If it is, it should resolve on its own without complications.

You can try a small amount of 1% hydrocortisone cream application to that area to see if it improves, or an oral antihistamine if it begins to itch. Don't play with the area though, let it be for now. :)

ozarkaBRAND

ozarkaBRAND

Awards
  • Established
No problem. It actually looks like a mild contact/chemical dermatitis to be honest based on this photo observation. If it is, it should resolve on its own without complications.

You can try a small amount of 1% hydrocortisone cream application to that area to see if it improves, or an oral antihistamine if it begins to itch. Don't play with the area though, let it be for now. :)
Cool. I went ahead and outlined it with a sharpie like you said.

<crosses fingers>

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Cool. I went ahead and outlined it with a sharpie like you said.

<crosses fingers>
Good deal.

Now forget about it for now, and reassess tomorrow. haha! ;) :usa2:

ozarkaBRAND

ozarkaBRAND

Awards
  • Established
Good deal.

Now forget about it for now, and reassess tomorrow. haha! ;) :usa2:
Yes sir!

One question before I forget about it. If I did not inject deep enough into the muscle, and some oil leaked out under the skin, could this be the cause? If so, any dire implications, or do I just wait it out?

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yes sir!

One question before I forget about it. If I did not inject deep enough into the muscle, and some oil leaked out under the skin, could this be the cause? If so, any dire implications, or do I just wait it out?
It certainly could be, and very likely the issue. In some people, oil or reconstitution additives can cause a contact/chemical type dermatitis from this type of exposure if leaked into more superficial/subcutaneous tissues. Utilizing the Z-track injection method helps prevent these type of issues.

Just watch it, but i think everything will work out fine here in the end.

ozarkaBRAND

ozarkaBRAND

Awards
  • Established
It certainly could be, and very likely the issue. In some people, oil or reconstitution additives can cause a contact/chemical type dermatitis from this type of exposure if leaked into more superficial/subcutaneous tissues. Utilizing the Z-track injection method helps prevent these type of issues.

Just watch it, but i think everything will work out fine here in the end.
I used the ol' Z-track method.. but, only used a 5/8" needle. May have been my problem.

At any rate. Thank you Trauma! I will stop with the questions and reassess tomorrow morning :)

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I used the ol' Z-track method.. but, only used a 5/8" needle. May have been my problem.

At any rate. Thank you Trauma! I will stop with the questions and reassess tomorrow morning :)
Needle length for IM injections can also be the issue in not delivering deep enough into muscular tissue itself, and having some of the injected material infiltrate and irritate more superficial tissue compartments.

Although being the deltoid, i doubt this was the case here. Z-track method isn't perfect at times, and it can still leak through the track itself into other surrounding tissues.

Anyway, see ya tomorrow. ;)

ozarkaBRAND

ozarkaBRAND

Awards
  • Established
As of this morning the red spot has not increased in size. The color appears to be fading as well. I hit the gym already today, and this didn't cause as much pain as I thought it would... still though, it hurts pretty badly. Putting on a t-shirt is the worst f*cking thing ever right now, haha.

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
As of this morning the red spot has not increased in size. The color appears to be fading as well. I hit the gym already today, and this didn't cause as much pain as I thought it would... still though, it hurts pretty badly. Putting on a t-shirt is the worst f*cking thing ever right now, haha.
Sounds good, but continue to watch it though. :)

You can try applying heat to the area a few times a day at this point to see if it improves any.

rms80

rms80

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Seriously, somebody.

5-10 days- and make sure it is a bacterial infection instead of a chemical abcess- HUGE difference- bacterial infection, yes you need them, chemical, you don't- it is simply irritation due a reaction to the solvents in the injected compound- it will go away on by itself....

from the looks of it- it is chemical- looks like you went too shallow with the inject and you may be getting a mild irrititation due to the solvents- don't be surprised if it starts to spread slightly down your arm towards your hand- it will dissipate in a few days...

cut it next time with oil and use a longer needle (at least 1")

ozarkaBRAND

ozarkaBRAND

Awards
  • Established
Thank you to all. You guys have made this stressful little experience much more tolerable.

dg806

dg806

Enologist/Brewmaster/Damn good guy
Awards
  • Established
it is simply irritation due a reaction to the solvents in the injected compound- it will go away on by itself....
Yep, good ol BA from the prop. How many have you done? You will probably get it on most of the injects.

ozarkaBRAND

ozarkaBRAND

Awards
  • Established
5-10 days- and make sure it is a bacterial infection instead of a chemical abcess- HUGE difference- bacterial infection, yes you need them, chemical, you don't- it is simply irritation due a reaction to the solvents in the injected compound- it will go away on by itself....

from the looks of it- it is chemical- looks like you went too shallow with the inject and you may be getting a mild irrititation due to the solvents- don't be surprised if it starts to spread slightly down your arm towards your hand- it will dissipate in a few days...

cut it next time with oil and use a longer needle (at least 1")
Welp, it surely has gone down my arm a little bit. Still no other signs of infection. Awesome.

Hurts, but, the pain is getting better. Never realized prop could be such a pain. Bah.. lesson learned!

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Welp, it surely has gone down my arm a little bit. Still no other signs of infection. Awesome.

Hurts, but, the pain is getting better. Never realized prop could be such a pain. Bah.. lesson learned!
It surely can be. Everybody will have different integumentary (hair, skin, and nail) sensitivities in general, but you look to evince a classic contact/chemical dermatitis here.

You still need to continually assess this though. As long as it doesn't continue to exacerbate on a daily basis (with both systemic or localized symptoms), you should be good to go.

Viewing a picture online hardly offers any true assessment findings that would be anywhere near as supportive or diagnostic as a good history and physical assessment of the complaint, but in this case, it appears visually to be along the lines as stated.

ozarkaBRAND

ozarkaBRAND

Awards
  • Established
It surely can be. Everybody will have different integumentary (hair, skin, and nail) sensitivities in general, but you look to evince a classic contact/chemical dermatitis here.

You still need to continually assess this though. As long as it doesn't continue to exacerbate on a daily basis (with both systemic or localized symptoms), you should be good to go.

Viewing a picture online hardly offers any true assessment findings that would be anywhere near as supportive or diagnostic as a good history and physical assessment of the complaint, but in this case, it appears visually to be along the lines as stated.
Good deal. I'll continue to keep an eye on it. On a positive note, the pink hue is beginning to fade :)

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Good deal. I'll continue to keep an eye on it. On a positive note, the pink hue is beginning to fade :)
That is good to hear, buddy. Keep us updated. :)