Newby Orientation - A Must Read

NasD

NasD

Awards
  • Established
Newb – (my definition) Anyone who is new to anabolics, injectables, prohormones or prosteroids but not necessarily new to weight training.

For any that are interested. My only experience is with AX SD. I have been weight training for 19 years primarily for exercise and to stay in shape. Recently found AM (last year) and have been an information whore ever since. I wanted to post ALL of the newby questions but found ALL my answers by searching! When in doubt…search. Like many many many others, I noticed the same questions popping up over and over and over…and over and wanted to contribute something that might (wishful thinking I know) help reduce that.

1. Search FIRST – I know you’ve seen this before but there’s just no getting around this. 99.9 to 100% of newb questions can be answered by searching (hell a lot a non-newb questions too for that matter). You’re not the first person to:
a. Want to find a source for <ancillaries-gear-etc>.
b. Take PH/PS without PCT and wonder what the hell to do now.
c. Get gyno and/or wonder if you have gyno and want to know what to do.
d. Want to run your first AAS/PH/PS cycle and want to know what is a good beginner cycle.
e. Want answers for ‘a’ through ‘d’ and want them yesterday…patience young padewon, if you try to rush this process there is a higher chance you’re gonna f**k something up anyway. If you post your newb, uninformed question anyway then “Flame On” cuz someone is gonna call you out for posting age-old, FAQs that are easily answered with a simple search!​

2. After completing number 1 thoroughly, try suggesting a plan for your cycle, gyno reduction protocol, etc. and submit a thread in the appropriate section asking experienced members for feedback. Most aren’t willing to spoon feed you answers so you’re gonna have to show some initiative in coming up with a plan for others to tweak.

3. Have your PCT ancillaries on hand BEFORE you start your cycle (thx Ziquor)! When sh*t happens, and it will, you don't want to get caught slipping and not have what you need for PCT when your cycle is over.

4. Do NOT stack for your first cylce, this includes pre-stacked products (Onevol, Spawn, Test Sust)– I debated on this one. Stacking is not bad. Generally, as far as a newb is concerned, you should try any of the compounds in the combined products in which you are interested as a standalone first. If you’re doing injectables, try Test E/Cyp first before going with something like Sustanon. Again, this is a GENERAL rule so, yes you can break it, but you do so at your own risk.

5. Be patient – remember this is the internet. While this board is arguably the best there is for information on enhancing your physique and overcoming crappy genetics, most members here aren’t board certified clinical <insert-some-professional-whose-opinion-you-trust> and will usually tell you so (many have disclaimers in their sigs). I’m not saying take everything with a grain of salt but I AM SAYING get consensus opinions. The advice that you want to take is usually the advice that you see over and over again.

6. Listen to your body – don’t be afraid to deviate from the cycle that you’ve laid out. Nothing is ever written in stone; if you experience nasty sides (back pumps, high BP, loss of libido or anything else that YOU can’t live with), employ techniques like tapering down the dosage or stopping altogether. Our bodies are great at giving us indicators of what they do/don’t like if we’re willing to listen.

7. Know that individual mileage varies – just because you read a billion logs that say that injecting bull semen is the greatest thing since sliced bread doesn’t mean it’s gonna work for you. Before you cry foul and say that a product is bunk, realize that there is such a thing as a non-responder. Sh*t happens, maybe give something else a try.

8. Plan a proper diet macro that is consistent with your goals. There is much information on the subject so I will try to be as succinct as possible. Simply put, AAS/PH/PS are great but they won’t do she-it for you without the proper diet. Your diet macro is the percentage of your overall caloric intake from carbohydrates, proteins and fats respectively. The macro that you choose will depend on your individual goals. One of the most common macros used for bulking is 40/40/20 (Carb/Protein/Fat). Nutrient calculators are your friend for these calculations. Carb, Protein, Fat Calorie Calculator is one of the many macro calculators out there. After your cycle when calculating your maintenance calories remember to adjust your diet macro to reflect your new added weight if you had a successful bulking cycle (naturally subtract your lost weight for a cutting cycle). See the Nutrition Forum for more specific info on bulking/cutting diet macros.

9. Take the appropriate support supplements for your cylce. If the compound that you choose is most responsible for your growth/cutting, then the support supplement(s) that you choose are most responsible for protecting your general health. This can be everything from controlling BP, elevated liver values, or reducing prolactin. Here are some of the main players and their roles when it comes to support supplements:

• COQ10/Idebenone - helps cardiac function, and is said to be synergistic when used with Red Yeast Rice*(see note below). Can be used in combination with other cholesterol lowering supplements.
Dosage: 60 – 100mg /day
• Hawthorne Berry, Celery Seed - A powerful anti-oxidant, shown to lower blood pressure
Dosage: 1000mg/day
• Policosanol - A blend of fatty alcohols, shows great promise in its use as beneficial to cardiovascular health, to include the maintenance of healthy lipid profiles. There is also some theory to a synergistic effect with EFAs.
Dosage: 20mg 2x/day
• Milk Thistle (Silymarin) - Supports the liver’s ability to maintain normal liver function.
Dosage: 1000mg/day
• Saw Palmetto - Used to help ensure the health of the prostate.
Dosage: 320mg/day
• B6/Pyridoxal-5-Phosphate (P5P) – for the purposes of this discussion it is used primarily to control prolactin.
Dosage: 100-300mg/day
• NAC - (N-acetylcysteine) - NAC is currently being recommended for preventing and treating a wide variety of ailments that may respond to its antioxidant properties.
Dosage: 1200mg/day

*NOTE: RYR (Red Yeast Rice) used to be on the list of recommended support supps but has fallen out of favor due to the fact that it adds to the liver stress in oral cycles. These supplements are very necessary ON cycle as well as in the PCT. Generally a 1 week preload of support supplements is recommended.​

10. Got SLEEP!?! - Getting good QUALITY sleep is as important as any of the items listed above in achieving your bulking/cutting goals.
Dosage: 8 hours/day

11. Get to know what you are about to put in your body! If it's an AAS cycle that you're about to run, read the in-depth profile for the gear you're about to take and learn the possible side effects associated with its usage. If it's an OTC PH/PH there will be no clinical trials or years of data to rely on. We are all providing the "clinical trials" for these new compounds. You will do well to read as many logs as you can and study the correlation between increased dosages and side effects.

12. After growing in wisdom and knowledge from 1-9 and putting this knowledge in practice, post often to help other people who are now where you once were…a newb! Ok, this really isn’t as important as the other 9 but hey, I needed 10! :)

13. Drink water like it’s your job. You can never say enough about this one. In most cycle logs users will mention how much water they are drinking daily. There is a reason for this! If at first you don’t feel like all you do is pee all day then might not be drinking enough water…
Thou shalt beware of anything that promises “Gain/Lose 30 lbs in 30 days” or some sh*t like that. There are no shortcuts – Rome wasn’t built in a day. Generally speaking it takes time to put on/take off weight.

14. Train hard and change routines often – you define “often”. Muscles respond to different stimuli so changing it up is good. AAS/PH/PS can’t overcome someone who goes half-ass at the gym and expects their gains to be off the charts.

Last edited:
NasD

NasD

Awards
  • Established
By the way, none of this is new or novel or even my own ideas. Just trying to provide 1 stop shopping for the main info that I searched for when I first got here. Also, this seemed to be the best forum for it since the info has a AAS/PH/PS slant and is the thread where I spend most of my time! (^-^)

NasD

NasD

Awards
  • Established
thx nos - if i can prevent one more "what do i do" post! :aargh:

Ziq, where is #5 from the Forum Rules? I never found a FAQ sticky. I didn't really want to cover anything that's already covered. The Forum rules certainly covers sourcing.

NasD

NasD

Awards
  • Established
Off topic - Ziq, what do you do? You'za smart mofo (the OTC thread by far my fav)! lol I read through the "What do you do for a living" thread and didn't see your info there.

Ziquor

Ziquor

Awards
  • Established
thx nos - if i can prevent one more "what do i do" post! :aargh:

Ziq, where is #5 from the Forum Rules? I never found a FAQ sticky. I didn't really want to cover anything that's already covered. The Forum rules certainly covers sourcing.
I didn't mean that to come across wrong, just looking to help. It's not all in there and #5 is a great point to add. Also possibly something about having PCT 'on hand' before starting and maybe also something about diet 'during' and especially after the cycle. So many people forget that since they went from 180 to 190 they now have to eat for 190 to maintain. Looking good though!

Ziquor

Ziquor

Awards
  • Established
Off topic - Ziq, what do you do? You'za smart mofo (the OTC thread by far my fav)! lol I read through the "What do you do for a living" thread and didn't see your info there.
A mofo for sure, as for smart that's debatable :) - but thanks Nas. I have a degree in Psychology & Business as well. I've always been highly interested in the human psyche and I worked in the psych field for a while after school but I wanted a change. I couldn't figure out what I wanted to be and am still unsure at times. :think: So I've been self-employed for about a year and a half doing Marketing. Basically I do marketing/advertising for different companies who want a 'controlled cost' rather than to pay people internally.

NasD

NasD

Awards
  • Established
Ziq, thanks for the suggestions. I will add them as I think it makes it more complete. I would have bet $100 you were in the supp industry, or had a science background (chem/bio)

Also, I was asking where is the #5 that is listed on the Forum Rules page. If there is a FAQ then I would really like to read it. I came across a Prohormone FAQ but that was it.

Ziquor

Ziquor

Awards
  • Established
I believe the bottom of the 'rules' section is considered faq, at least that's the only question/answers I seen in this section.

Delta Force

Delta Force

PES Rep
Awards
  • Established
great post... need to make this a sticky!!

sending reps your way

NasD

NasD

Awards
  • Established
thx DormantFiber. With more input it can only get better.

NasD

NasD

Awards
  • Established
dieting info to come and bumping for additional input/suggestons.

Ziquor

Ziquor

Awards
  • Established
Possibly something touching 'support supps' like hawthorn, coQ10, saw palmetto, etc?

NasD

NasD

Awards
  • Established
Off Topic - Ziq, just came across your post about the overdosed P-Plex so I checked my batch when I got home...mine are reg dosed. I was hoping for the "SuperPlex" :)

celc5

celc5

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Off Topic - Ziq, just came across your post about the overdosed P-Plex so I checked my batch when I got home...mine are reg dosed. I was hoping for the "SuperPlex" :)
Wasn't there something about less a-isomer in one batch so it evened out in the end?

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Veteran Commandments
1. Thou shalt remember that thou was a Newb at one time
2. Thou shalt treat others as they would want to be treated
3. Thou shalt say more than "got search" in a thread when a question is asked or just pass on by
4. Thou shalt remember to use the report function instead of going on a flame rage against said Newb!
5. Thou shalt remember this a community and we want to foster that by bringing more people into it instead of being a Jackass!

NasD

NasD

Awards
  • Established
Veteran Commandments
1. Thou shalt remember that thou was a Newb at one time
2. Thou shalt treat others as they would want to be treated
3. Thou shalt say more than "got search" in a thread when a question is asked or just pass on by
4. Thou shalt remember to use the report function instead of going on a flame rage against said Newb!
5. Thou shalt remember this a community and we want to foster that by bringing more people into it instead of being a Jackass!
Great feedback Jayhawkk. I can tell that you are a moderator, meaning, you must see those 5 things WAY too often! I probably should have titled the thread differently because with all this good feedback I will easily go over 10.

NasD

NasD

Awards
  • Established
Jayhawkk, I don't suppose I can edit the title of my thread after the fact, can I?

BodyWizard

BodyWizard

Awards
  • Established
Nice job! *ONLY* thing I'd suggest to add: SLEEP!

It's a 24/7 world, these days, but that just makes it harder to slow down early enough to fit in enough quality sleep before the wheel starts spinning again. Tossing & turning in the dark for 2 hours of a 6-hour window IS NOT GONNA CUT IT if you're working out at all seriously - and if you're on-cycle, I suggest that you dam' well better be MUCH more serious than that.

Short sleep undercuts success & laughs at all you plans, effort, and expense.

/votes for sticky

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Just tell me what you want the title to say and i'll get it changed.

NasD

NasD

Awards
  • Established
Nice job! *ONLY* thing I'd suggest to add: SLEEP!

It's a 24/7 world, these days, but that just makes it harder to slow down early enough to fit in enough quality sleep before the wheel starts spinning again. Tossing & turning in the dark for 2 hours of a 6-hour window IS NOT GONNA CUT IT if you're working out at all seriously - and if you're on-cycle, I suggest that you dam' well better be MUCH more serious than that.

Short sleep undercuts success & laughs at all you plans, effort, and expense.

/votes for sticky
REALLY good catch! That one needs to be mentioned. I'll add it on the next update.

celc5

celc5

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
celc, I haven't read that but could be that I just missed it.
Well, actually I was nudging Ziq. I'm sure he'd know better than us. I read about it in a CEL subforum on another board but don't want to speak for the source.

NasD

NasD

Awards
  • Established
Updated with the suggestion from BodyWizard and changed the name(thanks Jayhawkk!). Now I can continue to add to the list as good suggestions are made.

Usf97j4x4

Usf97j4x4

CEL Rep (Z's lacky)
Awards
  • Established
Wasn't there something about less a-isomer in one batch so it evened out in the end?
That was probably me... If I can dig up the lab assay I can show you what I mean. You cant exactly look at it like evening out though as both isomers are active.

Usf97j4x4

Usf97j4x4

CEL Rep (Z's lacky)
Awards
  • Established
Diet is key IMO

Joe Blow: I r gained 20 lbs on my roid cycle but I r lose it all!
Me: Hello fine sir, has your diet changed since your cycle?
Joe Blow: Derr, no I iz eat the same foods!
Me: Well fine sir, if your weight has increased by 20 lbs than you must adjust your diet accordingly as your maintenance calories have increased.
Joe Blow: O I iz so stoopid! U iz so smart!

:lol:

So many people make this mistake!!!

NasD

NasD

Awards
  • Established
Usf97j4x4, lmao. U iz right though! I know I had overlooked this subtle fact earlier. Lucky for me that Ziquor suggested it and I updated the list to include it.

Off topic: how did you come up with your username? I initially thought you just hit some random keys on the keyboard. :D

Usf97j4x4

Usf97j4x4

CEL Rep (Z's lacky)
Awards
  • Established
Usf97j4x4, lmao. U iz right though! I know I had overlooked this subtle fact earlier. Lucky for me that Ziquor suggested it and I updated the list to include it.

Off topic: how did you come up with your username? I initially thought you just hit some random keys on the keyboard. :D
No there is some method to the madness. It is really stupid and almost not worth explaining. When I was in college (Univ. of South FL) about 5 years ago I had a 97' Jeep Wrangler (4x4) and well, I guess i'm not very original or too lazy to think of anything else.

Back to the topic - maybe this thread will lead to a marked decrease in "So I iz wanting 2 run a dbolz cycle, ya I no I should run test but..." threads :D

celc5

celc5

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
You'll cringe when you hear his silly answer... oh shiit, he already did :lol:

:djparty:

whytknyt05

Awards
They should email this out when you sign up for this site. I realize now that I've been asking some pretty dumb questions.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Training Forum 6
Cycle Logs 8
lostboy Anabolics 19
GTO4me Cycle Logs 21
Natural Bodybuilding 14