Who is the best HW boxer in the last 25 years?

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
I know most of the big names in this era and the outcomes of many of the big fights, but don't have a good sense of who the best is in this era. What do you think?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I would have to say either Lennox Lewis. You can make a case for Holyfield and Holmes, but I would say Lewis.

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
thats a tough one. im subbing to see the responses.

Lewis, Holyfield, retro Tyson.

here is a list of top 50 current HW's take a look at # 50
Ranking the Heavyweights

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I know alot of people will disagree.....but tyson in his prime was a force to be reckoned with. I've never seen a heavyweight with the speed and power mike had in his day......too bad he didn't have the mental stability to go with it, because if that were the case i think we'de be calling him, not ali "The Greatest"

PumpingIron

Awards
  • Established
Klitscho hits hard...Tyson was downright nasty...Lewis was strong and smart...holyfield was great...

Mercer, Bowe, Morrison, Moorer, Foreman, Douglas all were great...

PumpingIron

Awards
  • Established
I would have to say holyfield though, becuase he has the longest span of being the undisputed champ in the past 25 years.

Edit: I am wrong...that would be Tyson.

Last edited:
bLacKjAck.

bLacKjAck.

Lift Heavy
Awards
  • Established
Tyson, by far --- in his prime he was unbeatable. Just plain nasty

Tiberius

Awards
  • Established
Tyson was the best until he ditched his original trainer. All down hill from there. Not only did that guy know exactly how to train Tyson, he knew how to keep Tyson in check.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Tyson was the best until he ditched his original trainer. All down hill from there. Not only did that guy know exactly how to train Tyson, he knew how to keep Tyson in check.
He didn't ditch Cuss D'Amato, he died.

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
He didn't ditch Cuss D'Amato, he died.
right. alot of people will argue Tyson didnt have high caliber opponents in his prime. Holyfield has faught alot of tough guys, Lewis as well. I might have to go with Lewis but I dont think you can really pick one guy. You would have to clarify the qualifications for this title of "the greatest" a lil more.

Totality

Totality

Banned
Awards
I will agree with the old Joe Frazier comment, that Tyson in his prime was unbeatable. When he had speed and actual head movement he was amazing. Once he let Rooney go, it was all over

PumpingIron

Awards
  • Established
Once he let Don King more and more into his life...he was fvcked

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
You would have to clarify the qualifications for this title of "the greatest" a lil more.
This makes a difference. I wanted to let people determine this for themselves, but you could take it as who had the best career in this span or who at their prime was the best fighter.

I never followed boxing real closely, which is why I started the thread. I guess if I had to say career-wise, maybe Lennox, and best in their prime = Tyson.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Tyson never fought any great opponents. He was in the gap from Frazier-Ali-Foreman and Holyfield-Bowe-Lewis. He will always have an aura around him, but he never showed the heart of a champion or has a signature fight.

PumpingIron

Awards
  • Established
I never followed boxing real closely is why I started the thread. I guess if I had to say career-wise, maybe Lennox, and best in their prime = Tyson.

I agree with you here. I am a big boxing fan, as some of my posting here has indicated...but thats a pretty good assumption.

Tyson vs. Lewis is the argument of the Fighter vs. the Boxer.

When talking about recent great you have to have Evander in the conversation though.

PumpingIron

Awards
  • Established
Tyson never fought any great opponents. He was in the gap from Frazier-Ali-Foreman and Holyfield-Bowe-Lewis. He will always have an aura around him, but he never showed the heart of a champion or has a signature fight.
Razor Ruddock? Golata? Botha? Spinks? Holmes?

He lost to holyfield, lewis and buster douglas along the way though.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Razor Ruddock? Golata? Botha? Spinks? Holmes?

He lost to holyfield, lewis and buster douglas along the way though.
Outside of Holmes, I would not consider any of them to be great boxers. Solid, but not all-time greats.

Totality

Totality

Banned
Awards
Tyson struggles with a lot of the same argument as someone like a Matt Hughes in UFC. Not a lot of great compeition that he beat, but beat everyone who was put in front of him

PumpingIron

Awards
  • Established
I just wanna throw some stats out there...

Michael "Jinx" Spinks 31-1-0 (21 KO)
James "Buster" Douglas 33-6-1 (25 KO)
Donovan "Razor" Ruddock 37-5-1 (28 KO)
Francios "The White Buffalo" Botha 44-4-2 (28 KO)
Andrew Golata 39-6-1 (32 KO)
Larry "The Easton Assasin" Holmes 69-6-0 (44 KO)

And when they fought...

Michael "Jinx" Spinks 31-0-0, Tyson had 6lbs
James "Buster" Douglas 29-4-1, Tyson gave up 11lbs
Donovan "Razor" Ruddock 24-1-1/24-2-1, Tyson gave up 9 and 22 lbs respectively
Francios "The White Buffalo" Botha 39-1-0, Tyson gave up 10lbs
Andrew Golata 36-4-0, Tyson gave up 18lbs
Larry "The Easton Assasin" Holmes 48-2-0, Tyson gave up 10lbs

Tyson usually fought under 220lbs...thats insane for a HW. For a predominant part of his career he only fought top 5 contenders. Most guys got hurt so badly by the man that he literally f-ed up the rest of their careers. It took 27 fights for Tyson to get his first loss, and and another 8 for the next, until he lost twice to holyfield in 96 and 97.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established

And when they fought...

Tyson usually fought under 220lbs...thats insane for a HW. For a predominant part of his career he only fought top 5 contenders. Most guys got hurt so badly by the man that he literally f-ed up the rest of their careers. It took 27 fights for Tyson to get his first loss, and and another 8 for the next, until he lost twice to holyfield in 96 and 97.
It's too bad Tyson had to fade into "Bolivian". Didn't Evander usually fight around 210?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
It's too bad Tyson had to fade into "Bolivian". Didn't Evander usually fight around 210?
He was barely above 200 when he fought Bowe. I just re-watched those matches on ESPN classic ad they are some the best HW bouts of all-time.

PumpingIron

Awards
  • Established
Bowe was nasty too, until he went to jail.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Great thread, and unbelievably I agree with pretty much everything everyone is saying. If I had to pick, I would go with Lennox. I'm not a big Lennox fan, but I think he deserves the title. Tyson by far is my favorite, and who doesn't love Evander?

Niko

Board Supporter
Awards

And when they fought...

Holmes was way passed his prime when he fought Tyson.
Spinks, a blown up light heavy, lost the fight before he even stepped into the ring with Tyson. This was Tyson at his most devastating.
Razor Ruddock was a one punch fighter. He had a hybrid hook/upper cut punch and that was basically it. A decent chin too.
Botha was never an upper echelon heavyweight. His record was made against tomato cans. He had neither the skills nor the ability to hang with Tyson and yet he was beating Tyson until he walked into a right.
Buster KO'd Tyson. Buster at the peak of his game and Tyson hardly trained for the fight. This was the beginning of the end for him.
Golata is a nut case who up and quit in their fight.

What made Tyson so amazing was not only his skill and attributes but the fact that he was so young. You saw this kid and couldn't help but get excited at the thought of what he could accomplish when he enters into his prime. Unfortunately, he never gave himself the chance to fulfill his potential.

My vote for greatness over the past 25 years goes to Larry Holmes and Holyfield.

Beige

Awards
  • Established
I like this thread because I can't tell you how many arguements the guys at my gym get into over this one. I say Tyson just in terms of raw talent and ability. As a young teen he made a living walking the streets of Flushing (I think) and knocking people out for their wallets...c'monnnn.
Had his career had the chance to stay under the guidance of Cuss Damato I think there would be a lot less of a question over who was the best.

bLacKjAck.

bLacKjAck.

Lift Heavy
Awards
  • Established
What PI said was so true. The more Tyson let Don King into his life the more it went downhill, Don King made him a celeb instead of a fighter, and Tyson started to really love that and it ruined his career imo.

In his prime --- you watch those fights man, he was just plain nasty, and those records PI listed, I dunno how you could argue they weren't "great" bc they were. They didn't seem it when they fought Tyson in his prime bc he literally MAULED them to the point of it really hurting their career. That is how nasty the kid was.

When I watch ESPN classic and see allllll those fights and see the ones nowadays and compare. It just isn't even close imo. Tyson fought with more adrenaline and intensity, and precision than anyone I have ever seen. Not to mention over hald his fights the guys had like a foot+mad weight on him.

Jumper

Jumper

Awards
Holmes was way passed his prime when he fought Tyson.
Spinks, a blown up light heavy, lost the fight before he even stepped into the ring with Tyson. This was Tyson at his most devastating.
Razor Ruddock was a one punch fighter. He had a hybrid hook/upper cut punch and that was basically it. A decent chin too.
Botha was never an upper echelon heavyweight. His record was made against tomato cans. He had neither the skills nor the ability to hang with Tyson and yet he was beating Tyson until he walked into a right.
Buster KO'd Tyson. Buster at the peak of his game and Tyson hardly trained for the fight. This was the beginning of the end for him.
Golata is a nut case who up and quit in their fight.

What made Tyson so amazing was not only his skill and attributes but the fact that he was so young. You saw this kid and couldn't help but get excited at the thought of what he could accomplish when he enters into his prime. Unfortunately, he never gave himself the chance to fulfill his potential.

My vote for greatness over the past 25 years goes to Larry Holmes and Holyfield.

You mirror my thoughts. Holmes and Holyfield. I might give the edge to Holyfield, but could go either way.

I think Holyfield exposed Tyson for the skilled bully that he was. Tyson hit Holyfield with everything but the kitchen sink in that first fight. I think it was the 2nd round. Holyfield was unaffected and just kept coming. That is when Tyson looked for a way out and ate ear.

Buster Douglas essentially did the same thing. He took Tyson's best and put him down.

I miss that 70's era with so many great heavyweights. Not only Ali, Frasier, and Foreman. But also, Ken Norton, Jimmy Young, Ernie Shavers. It was a strong class.

PumpingIron

Awards
  • Established
You mirror my thoughts. Holmes and Holyfield. I might give the edge to Holyfield, but could go either way.

I think Holyfield exposed Tyson for the skilled bully that he was. Tyson hit Holyfield with everything but the kitchen sink in that first fight. I think it was the 2nd round. Holyfield was unaffected and just kept coming. That is when Tyson looked for a way out and ate ear.

Buster Douglas essentially did the same thing. He took Tyson's best and put him down.

I miss that 70's era with so many great heavyweights. Not only Ali, Frasier, and Foreman. But also, Ken Norton, Jimmy Young, Ernie Shavers. It was a strong class.
You're a bit off. Tyson looked like garbage both of those fights. It was a big transition in his career. Leaving behind the peek-a-boo technique, not utilizing body shot, his jab and his great defensive skills.

bLacKjAck.

bLacKjAck.

Lift Heavy
Awards
  • Established
You're a bit off. Tyson looked like garbage both of those fights. It was a big transition in his career. Leaving behind the peek-a-boo technique, not utilizing body shot, his jab and his great defensive skills.
That was right about the time Don King really started taking over..no?

PumpingIron

Awards
  • Established
Kind of...basically after his trainer died and then he fired his next trainer...i forget if his firing his 2nd trainer was influenced by king of not...i'd say most likely

Jumper

Jumper

Awards

We probably just see it a little differently. Maybe he looked bad because of his training habits, and maybe he just got out boxed by superior opponents in those fights. Maybe both. Whatever the reasons are, in the final analysis in both of those fights he was soundly thrashed. No champion gets there without overcoming adversity to some degree or another. With Tyson, when the adversity struck, he was not able to rise above and prevail.

PumpingIron

Awards
  • Established
I agree, Tyson is a classic case of his environment...

But I think that his training was the reason he was defeated by a superiour opponent...he knocked down douglas though.

TripDog

TripDog

Bananas
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
tyson was the man,i grew up watching all his fights.....I bought that dvd that espn put out with all his early fights....great dvd!!

TripDog

TripDog

Bananas
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established

But I think that his training was the reason he was defeated by a superiour opponent...he knocked down douglas though.
ya douglas got saved by the bell...mike had him beat!

Jumper

Jumper

Awards

True dat. But that is really what I am talking about. He was always in control of his other fights. Normally, when he knocked 'em down, they stayed down or basically quit. When Douglas and Holyfield took his best stuff and stayed right in front of him and delivered their own, he didn't know how to respond.

He was definately fun to watch when he was wacking guy's out though. :twisted:

Niko

Board Supporter
Awards

I miss that 70's era with so many great heavyweights. Not only Ali, Frasier, and Foreman. But also, Ken Norton, Jimmy Young,Ernie Shavers. It was a strong class.
The 70's were great for the heavyweight division. The fighters allowed one another to define greatness.

I will give the nod to Holyfield also because he came up from a lighter weight class and had some remarkable fights. He had courage, heart, and inner strength that Tyson did not have. The 10th round of the first Holyfield/Bowe fight was one of the greatest single rounds in heavyweight title history and is an example of what I am talking about.

Whenever Tyson was confronted with someone who didn't fear him, he crumpled. Before the first fight between Holyfield and Tyson, Teddy Atlas said Tyson was a coward and would do something to get dq'd. Tyson bit Holyfield's ear.

Tyson, never had that defining of moment of greatness. For all his abilities and skill, he lacked heart. And once he left Kevin Rooney he lacked direction and abandoned the things that made him special. Greatness can be defined about how you handle yourself after defeat. With that in mind, look at Tyson and Holyfield respectively and how they handled defeat.

TripDog

TripDog

Bananas
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
mike was a street kid...the fact he got to where he did was a sucsess.....he in his early prime would scrub holyfield without a doubt.....lets be real our primes aren't at the same time...like when he fought larry holmes...yea tyson kicked his a$$ but that wasn't holmes prime.......hahah that is a good fight tho.....fukc holmes......kid dynamite baby:twisted:

Niko

Board Supporter
Awards
mike was a street kid...the fact he got to where he did was a sucsess.....he in his early prime would scrub holyfield without a doubt.....lets be real our primes aren't at the same time...like when he fought larry holmes...yea tyson kicked his a$$ but that wasn't holmes prime.......hahah that is a good fight tho.....fukc holmes......kid dynamite baby:twisted:
Making millions doesn't make you a great boxer though. I'm a life long boxing fan and when Tyson was first coming up I was in awe. After one fight, in which he knocked his opponent out in the second round he viewed his performance as a C+. I was impressed as here was a young kid that's hungry and sees room for improvement when most would give themselves an A for such a performance.

Then he $hit it all away. He had the ability to be one of the greatest of all time and now we are arguing whether he was a great heavyweight of the past 25 years. That to me is not what greatness is.

Without a doubt he would beat Holyfield when Tyson was in his prime? Push aside the fact that they were in different weight classes at the time, it would have been a more competitive fight but it's not a no doubter.

Jumper

Jumper

Awards
Evander was a Light Heavyweight in the Olympics. He then fought and won the World title as a Cruiserweight in the pros before moving up to Heavyweight.

PumpingIron

Awards
  • Established
Why did I not know this...I'm ashamed of myself.

PumpingIron

Awards
  • Established
Thier first fight,, Holyfield was 4 pounds ligther and the 2nd they were both 218.

Holyfield lost some decent fights in his prime as well...bowe, moorer, bowe again...

texxlnghorn

Awards
I think Tyson, the day he beat Spinks.
L.L. no way. He got KO'd by some chumps.

Holyfield was no punk though. He's definatley in the top 4 or 5

1. Tyson
2. Ali
3. Holyfield
4. geroge forman
5. Joe frazier

It would be great to see a round robin tournment with these guys.

PumpingIron

Awards
  • Established
Lewis only lost twice in his pro career...once in 94 to McCall, who wasn't a chump and once in Rahman in 01 who isn't either...