College Football Pre-Season 2007

Page 3 of 3 First 123
  1. Registered User
    jmh80's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Beaumont, TX
    Age
    34
    Posts
    8,116
    Rep Power
    9663

    Sounds good to me, Binge.

  2. Registered User
    Iron Warrior's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  265 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    5,329
    Rep Power
    13066

    Quote Originally Posted by jmh80 View Post
    Back to your regularly scheduled program.


    I saw an article that the "Plus One" is gaining momentum behind the scenes in CFB come 2011.

    Thoughts?




    I also saw the Pac 10 commissioner comment that they will put out of the BCS if a Plus 1 is implemented.
    Retard. (There goes those USC national title shots....)
    I guess a plus one is better than the current system but I would still prefer to see the top 8 teams battle for the Championship because that would be a true Play-Off system.

    BTW, it's not just the PAC-10 but also the BIG-10 that will pull out. The 2 conferences would rather play in the Rose Bowl then be a part of the "plus one" system.

    IMO, there will still be much controversy with the plus one system because not enough team are incorporated therefore you'll have plenty of teams *****!ing and moaning about how they got robbed.
  3. Registered User
    Rogue Drone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,226
    Rep Power
    740

    Quote Originally Posted by jmh80 View Post
    Rogue,
    I caught the '88 Orange Bowl ('87 national title game) between OU and UM on Sun Sports the other day.

    Guess who I saw on the sidelines? Your (current) fav coach.
    Not sure if you knew he spent quite a bit of time at UM under Jimmy Johnson.
    Tommy "Tide Killer" Tuberville? Wasn't he the "U" 's DC at one point? Pat Dye was my collegiate coach, but Tubberville is the better one.

    I'm not hiding my affiliations and favs anymore, The SEC gets my attention here this year.MMA has put me behind in my study of who has what strengths and weaknesses.

    I do know that Auburn is breaking in four new starting OLs, but they were lousy last year in pass protection with upperclassmen, and they will have four lesser D games to tuneup on before going to the Swamp, so maybe that's a non issue.

    The Plus One system would/will be the best we will get for the foreseeable future, too much old institutional resistance to the playoff concept.
    •   
       

  4. Registered User
    jmh80's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Beaumont, TX
    Age
    34
    Posts
    8,116
    Rep Power
    9663

    RD,
    Yes - Tubbs was the DC under Jimmy Johnson.


    IW - let's take baby steps. A plus one is a baby step to an 8 team playoff.

    I disagree with your assessment of the *****ing and moaning with a plus one.
    Now - the *****ing is with a #2 (2003) or #3 ('04). In the future - it will be a #5 or #6.

    I do agree someone will ***** about being robbed in the plus one. However - I think the degree of reason said team(s) have to ***** becomes MUCH MUCH less than today's BCS system.
    And - no more split titles. No more of this stupid LSU/USC crap.
    (Totally stupid, IMO, on the part of LSU fans.)

    Something else to consider is that there's a good chance the 7th and 8th teams in to a playoff would have 2 losses.
    Now - they might win, that's the spirit of a playoff, but I certainly don't want a 2 loss Notre Lame team with a chance at a national title.
  5. Registered User
    Iron Warrior's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  265 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    5,329
    Rep Power
    13066

    Quote Originally Posted by jmh80 View Post
    RD,
    Yes - Tubbs was the DC under Jimmy Johnson.


    IW - let's take baby steps. A plus one is a baby step to an 8 team playoff.

    I disagree with your assessment of the *****ing and moaning with a plus one.
    Now - the *****ing is with a #2 (2003) or #3 ('04). In the future - it will be a #5 or #6.

    I do agree someone will ***** about being robbed in the plus one. However - I think the degree of reason said team(s) have to ***** becomes MUCH MUCH less than today's BCS system.
    And - no more split titles. No more of this stupid LSU/USC crap.
    (Totally stupid, IMO, on the part of LSU fans.)

    Something else to consider is that there's a good chance the 7th and 8th teams in to a playoff would have 2 losses.
    Now - they might win, that's the spirit of a playoff, but I certainly don't want a 2 loss Notre Lame team with a chance at a national title.
    I agree that the "plus one" system is an improvement but here's a scenario. Cal is ranked # 2 (let me dream for once ) and Michigan is ranked # 3 and they play each other in the Rose Bowl. Let's say Cal wins a squeaker 30-27 in OT, sorry RD, I gotta go with my boys

    OTOH, you have Florida ranked #1 and Miami ranked # 4. Let's assume they play in the Orange Bowl and Miami squeaks by Florida 24-21.

    Who would be crowned as the National Champion since the Rose Bowl winner is not in the mix ? You could potentially have Miami play Florida the "plus one" game if they're the 2 highest remaining seeds since Michigan and Cal are out by default. This would sure be the case if the likes of Boise St., Utah, or TCU would somehow be ranked # 5 since they wouldn't be as likely to let those teams play for the big one. Just a thought that entered my analytical mind
  6. Registered User
    jmh80's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Beaumont, TX
    Age
    34
    Posts
    8,116
    Rep Power
    9663

    If both polls are tied to the Plus One - then UM takes the MNC.

    If one poll pulls out (as we have now with the AP poll) - then you may end up with a split title.
    It's not 100% clear in my mind that Cal ends up #1 anywhere as Miami's win would be more impressive (over the #1 ranked team). But - that is an aside.

    Under the scenario proposed - a definite chance at a split title.


    HOWEVER - that is contingent on the AP poll staying out of the BCS.
    With as many writers as I've seen wax poetic on the need for some form of a playoff - it's really, really, really hard for me to think their poll will not be tied to the Plus One champ.
    That would be hypocritical.



    BTW - the romanticism with the Rose Bowl is stupid in my mind.
    Maybe in the past it had some mystic meaning.
    Now - I don't think it's really different than any other bowl (in this BCS era).

    It's certainly not guaranteed to be the 2nd best match-up (when it's not the championship).
    A lot of times the Rose isn't so hot of a match-up - because they'll by-pass a better team for the #2 Big 10 or Pac 10 team (if the #1 ends up in the championship game).

    Sorry - I just don't think pulling out of the Plus One just to keep some sacred Rose match-up makes a sh*t-bit of sense.
    "That makes about as much sense as wiping before you poop." - Larry the Cable Guy.
  7. Banned
    musclemilk40's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    132
    Rep Power
    0

    L.S.U. will dominate


    Bayou Bengals are gonna dominate the entire year!!!!!!
  8. Registered User
    Iron Warrior's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  265 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    5,329
    Rep Power
    13066

    Quote Originally Posted by jmh80 View Post

    Sorry - I just don't think pulling out of the Plus One just to keep some sacred Rose match-up makes a sh*t-bit of sense.
    "That makes about as much sense as wiping before you poop." - Larry the Cable Guy.
    I agree. If you have a scenario where the BIG-10 and PAC-10 representatives aren't even top 10 teams than it's really not much better then the Cotton Bowl, Gator Bowl, or even the Holiday Bowl. I'm sure it's the money rather then the sentimental non-sense that they're trying to protect.
  9. Registered User
    jmh80's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Beaumont, TX
    Age
    34
    Posts
    8,116
    Rep Power
    9663

    Quote Originally Posted by musclemilk40 View Post
    Bayou Bengals are gonna dominate the entire year!!!!!!
    Wait - are you a Gator fan or an LSU fan?


    LSU won't dominate.
    They have Boobie Miles as the Head Coach.
    We all know he'll get too conservative on a big game this year and lose.
    (ALA Auburn last year or Tennessee in '05.)

    It's a Miles tradition. He's only a good coach when the big time pressure of a national title is off.

    Go ahead and pencil in one regular season loss. (Maybe VaTech - they have much, much better special teams than LSU.)
  10. Banned
    MgoBlue's Avatar
    Stats
    5'7"  167 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Age
    42
    Posts
    641
    Rep Power
    0

    Quote Originally Posted by jmh80 View Post
    (Maybe VaTech - they have much, much better special teams than LSU.)

    might hopefully be at that game. W/ the wife being pregnant & due early oct, I'll be watching all the LSU games @ home.

    Can't friggin' wait for this season to start!!!!!

    GO BLUE!!
  11. Board Supporter
    BUCKNUTS's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    small town Ohio
    Age
    46
    Posts
    1,230
    Rep Power
    4884

    Quote Originally Posted by BUCKNUTS View Post
    I am a hopeless homer, but look at this schedule we play every pathetic mid-major in Ohio this year,am I wrong to think we could be 9-0 and ranked near top 5 with Wisconsin coming to Columbus with the Big 10 title on the line?
    with predictions like this I am like the Nostradomus of college football!! Sure I make this same prediction every year, but that doesn't make me any less right. GO BUCKS!!!
  12. Registered User
    Iron Warrior's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  265 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    5,329
    Rep Power
    13066

    Quote Originally Posted by BUCKNUTS View Post
    with predictions like this I am like the Nostradomus of college football!! Sure I make this same prediction every year, but that doesn't make me any less right. GO BUCKS!!!
    Your team is looking solid but you never know against Michigan. OSU is playing better but this year has been so unpredictable. I still can't believe Cal beat Oregon & Tennessee but lost to Oregon St. & UCLA. We better not lose to Stanford !
  13. Registered User
    jmh80's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Beaumont, TX
    Age
    34
    Posts
    8,116
    Rep Power
    9663

    Quote Originally Posted by BUCKNUTS View Post
    with predictions like this I am like the Nostradomus of college football!! Sure I make this same prediction every year, but that doesn't make me any less right. GO BUCKS!!!
    My waist is still 30" - you'll never beat me.
  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. 2010 College Football Season
    By plenny in forum Sports Talk
    Replies: 2592
    Last Post: 01-30-2012, 09:19 AM
  2. 2009 College Football Season
    By OldGator in forum Sports Talk
    Replies: 2751
    Last Post: 02-05-2010, 03:13 PM
  3. Replies: 16
    Last Post: 06-19-2009, 12:40 AM
  4. College Football 2008 season
    By Trauma1 in forum Sports Talk
    Replies: 1563
    Last Post: 02-20-2009, 10:12 PM
  5. BigT's Football Pre 2 Post Season Log
    By BigT4040 in forum Workout Logs
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 08-19-2008, 12:33 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in