College Football Pre-Season 2007

BingeAndPurge

BingeAndPurge

Awards
  • Established
And so my 2007 CFB season starts off with finally learning where Rogue went to school.

It hadn't occurred to me just how close we were to the new season until I was partying in Columbus over the weekend and heard the singer of a band announce that we were one month away from kickoff.

As a Buckeye fan and knowing full well that this is supposed to be a down year for OSU, I am damned excited for this season. I cannot wait to see the new players. I am finally back in Ohio and can not only go to many of the home games, but can hopefully get my son to his first. I am glad to have a season that I can enjoy fully without the stress of hoping that we don't lose. This is the kind of season where 9-3 with a win over Michigan is just fine with me.

This has become a fun tradition the past few years, talking CFB on anabolicminds with pretty much the same folks. I am glad to see everyone back at it again. Here's to a fun six months.

That's all for now. I am waiting for Rogue's first real take on things.

BabyHulk

BabyHulk

Awards
  • Established
Hey jmh, BC is back on the schedule for this year, and they were on the up and up last year. Anyway, Miami/ND shouldn't be that bad. We lost 13 starters last year and we are really green now. But it would definitely be a good game, and I know people would like to see it.

BabyHulk

BabyHulk

Awards
  • Established
Also, I can shed a little insight on the LSU/USC thing. Only because I hear this crap year in and year out. I don't have to tell you the beef between ND and USC.

lazerss9

Awards
your a dumn ass i would not tell nobody i was for tug u.but at least your from miami and you can speak english.i bet you hate bama seeing how we kick you ass in the nationla chap game.i have the take away pic in my living room.how is sabn contract bad for football dumn ass we are the greatest college in the world we have more national champships than anybody more bowl wins than any body in the nation also why would we not have the highest paid coach in the nation.it was the coach of ok.does that make sence why would the best and greates school in the nation with more of everything not have the highest paid coach.do you think your cuban school should your a dumn ass.and yes this goes for you buckyee mich fan to all of you play cupcakes every week come play in the sec and see what happens. THE TIDE IS TURNING REALL QUICK ROLL TIDE
how are you going to insult someone when you can't spell or use punctuation? it's hard to even follow what you're trying to say at times. if u went to bama and still talk/write like that, how can u say that u have the greatest college in the world? according to USNews' America's Best Colleges 2007, bama is ranked 88th, miami 54th, and UF 47th. i'd give UF the "greatest college in the world" quote before i give it to bama.

anywho, it's a shame the gators aren't playing bama this year, but i guess that means one less loss for you guys. :thumbsup:

jmh80: i bet your streak will be over in '08, but we'll have to wait and see i guess, and you won't we rooting for the gators against bama since we don't play them this year.

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
Man I can't fvckin' wait for football to begin ! We also need to get size back in here to post in a gambling thread, he made me some money :D

benjiman

Banned
Awards
  • Established
i did not go to college i am just a dumn guy who lives in alabama that owns a trucking company worth arround 20 million thats all. i don't spend a lot of time on these thing i write just reall fast type and go just having fun you guys are mighty senstive maybe a little to much estrogen.this a site talking about football grow some balls come on give me abrake.and i was talking about alabama football which has more national champioships than any body world.and more bowl games and bowl wins than anbody in the nation.especially the tigars and i hope you where NOT talking about aubarn they are celebrating there 50 year ann this year from the one and only nationla title ever.thats just to funny.P.S LITHEN UP YOU GUYS JUST HAVING FUN THIS IS THE WAY WE DO IT MY BROTHER IS AUBARN FAN WE GO HAVE SOME BEERS AND TALK **** NO BIG DEAL.YALL ARE WAY SENSITIVE.ROLL TIDE GOING FOR 13 VERY VERY SOON WATCH OUT.

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
your a dumn ass i would not tell nobody i was for tug u.but at least your from miami and you can speak english.i bet you hate bama seeing how we kick you ass in the nationla chap game.i have the take away pic in my living room.how is sabn contract bad for football dumn ass we are the greatest college in the world we have more national champships than anybody more bowl wins than any body in the nation also why would we not have the highest paid coach in the nation.it was the coach of ok.does that make sence why would the best and greates school in the nation with more of everything not have the highest paid coach.do you think your cuban school should your a dumn ass.and yes this goes for you buckyee mich fan to all of you play cupcakes every week come play in the sec and see what happens. THE TIDE IS TURNING REALL QUICK ROLL TIDE
Dude - 1989, you forget that one?
Miami beat Bama for the national title.

You guys love to talk about '92 - but can't remember '89.

BTW - you need to learn to spell. You make those of us from the South look like complete toothless hicks.

And no - I don't hate Bama for sh*t that happened in the past. We are 1-1 in national title games.
I think Saban's contract is BAD for the sport. Plain and simple. Otherwise - I could care less about Bama, the Iron Bowl, or anything else in Alabama.

Not sure what else I should say to you, bud, as you have an IQ of my big toe.

Well - maybe.
Rogue Drone told me to say "Punt Bama Punt". :twisted:

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
Back to your regularly scheduled program.

I saw an article that the "Plus One" is gaining momentum behind the scenes in CFB come 2011.

Thoughts?

I also saw the Pac 10 commissioner comment that they will put out of the BCS if a Plus 1 is implemented.
Retard. (There goes those USC national title shots....)

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
Rogue,
I caught the '88 Orange Bowl ('87 national title game) between OU and UM on Sun Sports the other day.

Guess who I saw on the sidelines? Your (current) fav coach.
Not sure if you knew he spent quite a bit of time at UM under Jimmy Johnson.

BingeAndPurge

BingeAndPurge

Awards
  • Established
Anyone up for another round of stupid upset picks?

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
Back to your regularly scheduled program.

I saw an article that the "Plus One" is gaining momentum behind the scenes in CFB come 2011.

Thoughts?

I also saw the Pac 10 commissioner comment that they will put out of the BCS if a Plus 1 is implemented.
Retard. (There goes those USC national title shots....)
I guess a plus one is better than the current system but I would still prefer to see the top 8 teams battle for the Championship because that would be a true Play-Off system.

BTW, it's not just the PAC-10 but also the BIG-10 that will pull out. The 2 conferences would rather play in the Rose Bowl then be a part of the "plus one" system.

IMO, there will still be much controversy with the plus one system because not enough team are incorporated therefore you'll have plenty of teams *****!ing and moaning about how they got robbed.

Rogue Drone

Awards
  • Established
Rogue,
I caught the '88 Orange Bowl ('87 national title game) between OU and UM on Sun Sports the other day.

Guess who I saw on the sidelines? Your (current) fav coach.
Not sure if you knew he spent quite a bit of time at UM under Jimmy Johnson.
Tommy "Tide Killer" Tuberville? :thumbsup: Wasn't he the "U" 's DC at one point? Pat Dye was my collegiate coach, but Tubberville is the better one.

I'm not hiding my affiliations and favs anymore, The SEC gets my attention here this year.MMA has put me behind in my study of who has what strengths and weaknesses.

I do know that Auburn is breaking in four new starting OLs, but they were lousy last year in pass protection with upperclassmen, and they will have four lesser D games to tuneup on before going to the Swamp, so maybe that's a non issue.

The Plus One system would/will be the best we will get for the foreseeable future, too much old institutional resistance to the playoff concept.

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
RD,
Yes - Tubbs was the DC under Jimmy Johnson.

IW - let's take baby steps. A plus one is a baby step to an 8 team playoff.

I disagree with your assessment of the *****ing and moaning with a plus one.
Now - the *****ing is with a #2 (2003) or #3 ('04). In the future - it will be a #5 or #6.

I do agree someone will ***** about being robbed in the plus one. However - I think the degree of reason said team(s) have to ***** becomes MUCH MUCH less than today's BCS system.
And - no more split titles. No more of this stupid LSU/USC crap.
(Totally stupid, IMO, on the part of LSU fans.)

Something else to consider is that there's a good chance the 7th and 8th teams in to a playoff would have 2 losses.
Now - they might win, that's the spirit of a playoff, but I certainly don't want a 2 loss Notre Lame team with a chance at a national title.

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
RD,
Yes - Tubbs was the DC under Jimmy Johnson.

IW - let's take baby steps. A plus one is a baby step to an 8 team playoff.

I disagree with your assessment of the *****ing and moaning with a plus one.
Now - the *****ing is with a #2 (2003) or #3 ('04). In the future - it will be a #5 or #6.

I do agree someone will ***** about being robbed in the plus one. However - I think the degree of reason said team(s) have to ***** becomes MUCH MUCH less than today's BCS system.
And - no more split titles. No more of this stupid LSU/USC crap.
(Totally stupid, IMO, on the part of LSU fans.)

Something else to consider is that there's a good chance the 7th and 8th teams in to a playoff would have 2 losses.
Now - they might win, that's the spirit of a playoff, but I certainly don't want a 2 loss Notre Lame team with a chance at a national title.
I agree that the "plus one" system is an improvement but here's a scenario. Cal is ranked # 2 (let me dream for once :D) and Michigan is ranked # 3 and they play each other in the Rose Bowl. Let's say Cal wins a squeaker 30-27 in OT, sorry RD, I gotta go with my boys :D

OTOH, you have Florida ranked #1 and Miami ranked # 4. Let's assume they play in the Orange Bowl and Miami squeaks by Florida 24-21.

Who would be crowned as the National Champion since the Rose Bowl winner is not in the mix ? You could potentially have Miami play Florida the "plus one" game if they're the 2 highest remaining seeds since Michigan and Cal are out by default. This would sure be the case if the likes of Boise St., Utah, or TCU would somehow be ranked # 5 since they wouldn't be as likely to let those teams play for the big one. Just a thought that entered my analytical mind :)

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
If both polls are tied to the Plus One - then UM takes the MNC.

If one poll pulls out (as we have now with the AP poll) - then you may end up with a split title.
It's not 100% clear in my mind that Cal ends up #1 anywhere as Miami's win would be more impressive (over the #1 ranked team). But - that is an aside.

Under the scenario proposed - a definite chance at a split title.

HOWEVER - that is contingent on the AP poll staying out of the BCS.
With as many writers as I've seen wax poetic on the need for some form of a playoff - it's really, really, really hard for me to think their poll will not be tied to the Plus One champ.
That would be hypocritical.

BTW - the romanticism with the Rose Bowl is stupid in my mind.
Maybe in the past it had some mystic meaning.
Now - I don't think it's really different than any other bowl (in this BCS era).

It's certainly not guaranteed to be the 2nd best match-up (when it's not the championship).
A lot of times the Rose isn't so hot of a match-up - because they'll by-pass a better team for the #2 Big 10 or Pac 10 team (if the #1 ends up in the championship game).

Sorry - I just don't think pulling out of the Plus One just to keep some sacred Rose match-up makes a sh*t-bit of sense.
"That makes about as much sense as wiping before you poop." - Larry the Cable Guy.

musclemilk40

Banned
Awards
L.S.U. will dominate

Bayou Bengals are gonna dominate the entire year!!!!!!

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
Sorry - I just don't think pulling out of the Plus One just to keep some sacred Rose match-up makes a sh*t-bit of sense.
"That makes about as much sense as wiping before you poop." - Larry the Cable Guy.
I agree. If you have a scenario where the BIG-10 and PAC-10 representatives aren't even top 10 teams than it's really not much better then the Cotton Bowl, Gator Bowl, or even the Holiday Bowl. I'm sure it's the money rather then the sentimental non-sense that they're trying to protect.

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
Bayou Bengals are gonna dominate the entire year!!!!!!
Wait - are you a Gator fan or an LSU fan?

LSU won't dominate.
They have Boobie Miles as the Head Coach.
We all know he'll get too conservative on a big game this year and lose.
(ALA Auburn last year or Tennessee in '05.)

It's a Miles tradition. He's only a good coach when the big time pressure of a national title is off.

Go ahead and pencil in one regular season loss. (Maybe VaTech - they have much, much better special teams than LSU.)

MgoBlue

MgoBlue

Banned
Awards
  • Established
(Maybe VaTech - they have much, much better special teams than LSU.)

might hopefully be at that game. W/ the wife being pregnant & due early oct, I'll be watching all the LSU games @ home.

Can't friggin' wait for this season to start!!!!!

GO BLUE!!

BUCKNUTS

BUCKNUTS

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I am a hopeless homer, but look at this schedule we play every pathetic mid-major in Ohio this year,am I wrong to think we could be 9-0 and ranked near top 5 with Wisconsin coming to Columbus with the Big 10 title on the line?
with predictions like this I am like the Nostradomus of college football!! Sure I make this same prediction every year, but that doesn't make me any less right. GO BUCKS!!!

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
with predictions like this I am like the Nostradomus of college football!! Sure I make this same prediction every year, but that doesn't make me any less right. GO BUCKS!!!
Your team is looking solid but you never know against Michigan. OSU is playing better but this year has been so unpredictable. I still can't believe Cal beat Oregon & Tennessee but lost to Oregon St. & UCLA. We better not lose to Stanford !

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
My waist is still 30" - you'll never beat me.