Anybody watchin Olympic Hockey?

Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  1. Anybody watchin Olympic Hockey?


    i cant get enough of it! unfortunately the games are usually on 4am-2pm most days but the weekend. a lot of good games today. the usa really tanked but theyre not supposed to do extremelly well these games. the russia-slovakia game was outstanding! im hoping for a czech-slovakia gold medal game. mostly cuz my grandfather was from czechoslovakia before it split lol anybody else watching? predictions?


  2. yes olympic hockey is the best!!!! irbe stood on his head against USA today.

    they simulated the whole tourney on espn or sportingnews or somewhere (cant find it now) and they said it was gonna be canada over USA 5-3 in the gold metal game with slovakia winning the bronze
    •   
       


  3. Hey what do you think about Hasek and the hamstring tear/pull ??? I betcha Muckler is pissed right now eh I personally love it, can't stand the guy or the Sens.

    jecko

  4. Hey what do you think about Hasek and the hamstring tear/pull ??? I betcha Muckler is pissed right now eh I personally love it, can't stand the guy or the Sens.

    jecko

  5. the hasek injury sucks for sure but vokoun is a very capable backup. he dominated the worlds last year so im not too worried. what i am worried about is the loss they took to the swiss this morning. wtf was that? lol i guess any team, any day. but thats the risk the teams take by sending their allstars over. the russians are taking it to the swedes at the moment.
    •   
       


  6. I've been escaping to the residency lounge as often as possible to catch games, but my impression so far is that Ovechkin is quite possibly the best hockey player ever and with Malkin joining the fold, perhaps Pitt will win 30games next year....maybe.

    Canada is gonna walk away with this tournament, but How about them Slovaks?

  7. Quote Originally Posted by uhockey
    I've been escaping to the residency lounge as often as possible to catch games, but my impression so far is that Ovechkin is quite possibly the best hockey player ever and with Malkin joining the fold, perhaps Pitt will win 30games next year....maybe.

    Canada is gonna walk away with this tournament, but How about them Slovaks?
    When doesnt Canada?!?!? I still cant get over the fact that Latvia tied the US!!! I mean what is Irbe like 50yrs old now!

  8. the slovaks just keep goin! i love this team. granted they played an overmatched but very tough latvia team today i really like their chances. this team is just straight offense and then they have chara the oager back on the blue line. if budaj holds his own they have a serious chance at gold. for awhile i thought the germans mightve mounted a comeback against canada today... but it didnt last lol

  9. Lubo on D, Demitra/Satan/Bondra up front......it's all you need. Chara. Ha! Goon!!

  10. Quote Originally Posted by uhockey

    Canada is gonna walk away with this tournament, but How about them Slovaks?
    As much as I love to hear that sentiment, I truly think that the medal round is going to be tough competition. From what I've seen from the Canadian team is that they are about 2-3 more games away from the cohesiveness that they need to repeat as gold medalists.

    jecko

  11. not to mention that the swiss are winning 2-0 at the moment and gerber is standing on his head. the ref is calling pretty much any physical play by canada tho and they just robbed canada of a goal. the russians barely beat kazakhstan 1-0 after destroying the swedes... who will have forsberg back today so thats good news for them and the flyers. i just love how you can never tell what's going to happen.

  12. Quote Originally Posted by LuckyBoy
    not to mention that the swiss are winning 2-0 at the moment and gerber is standing on his head. the ref is calling pretty much any physical play by canada tho and they just robbed canada of a goal. the russians barely beat kazakhstan 1-0 after destroying the swedes... who will have forsberg back today so thats good news for them and the flyers. i just love how you can never tell what's going to happen.
    I'm not Canadian or Swiss, but that may have been the worst officiating I have EVER seen. Gerber played great, but that was AWFUL.

    Swedes are looking stellar. Slovaks......wow. And Russia....did you see that powerplay with Ovechkin, Kovalchuk, Kovalev, Gonchar, and Datsyuk? 8 shots on goal in 1 powerplay.....

  13. somebody tell me where the hell this fin team came from?! lol i mean they always do well against the poorer teams in the tournament and then fold against the stronger. they looked absolutely incredible against canada today! definitely deserving of the hype. and how about canada getting shutout two games in a row? i love this! such spontineity.

  14. Sheesh, Canadians need to score goals. This is quite a disappointment, all that firepower and they're shooting blanks

    jecko

  15. Quote Originally Posted by uhockey
    but my impression so far is that Ovechkin is quite possibly the best hockey player ever
    I want to know what kind of drugs you are on and can I have some too?

  16. Quote Originally Posted by houseman
    I want to know what kind of drugs you are on and can I have some too?
    What doesn't he do? He's got Forsberg's hands with better foot-speed, Gretzky's vision with more guts to give/take hits, and he's got a Bure-esque zest for scoring. Oh, and he plays Defense too. Name me 3 other players in the NHL with more than 2 of those qualities.

  17. Quote Originally Posted by uhockey
    What doesn't he do? He's got Forsberg's hands with better foot-speed, Gretzky's vision with more guts to give/take hits, and he's got a Bure-esque zest for scoring. Oh, and he plays Defense too. Name me 3 other players in the NHL with more than 2 of those qualities.
    Bud, can you let the guy play more than 60 games int he NHL before you start considering him the BEST EVER?

    Unreal.

  18. I think the Canadians will have a tough time getting through the Finns to get to the medal round. They better wake up fast or they'll end up looking like the USA "NBA Dream Team" losing to the all white, non-NBA Russians in basketball.

    And those Slovaks are doing amazing. I'm scared to think what they'd be like if they rejoined the Czech Republic.

    When I'm not cheering for Canada, I'll be pulling for the Swiss. They kept Canada scoreless, and beat the Czech's - all with only 3 NHL players! I like rooting for the underdogs.

    On a side note, after watching Denmark, Korea and China dominate in speedskating, I wonder why they don't have hockey teams...

    Ovechkin is good, hell, great. Definitely not the best player ever. When he beats a couple of Gretzky's records (any of them - he has tons to choose from), then MAYBE we could even toss that question up there. He's my Rookie of the Year, no doubt, and arguablely one of the best in the NHL this year. He has the potential to be the best, but he has quite a way to go first.

    (Lemeaux was "supposed" to be better than Gretzky, but couldn't keep up. Eric Lindros was supposed to be the "Next One", but look at him now, etc. Give Ovechkin 5 years, and then we'll see where he stands).

  19. the fact that other teams only have a few NHL players is reason enough they should be able to win games.

    Team Canada is nothing more than an All-Star team. Sure, Wayne has tried to put together a "team" that can play a full system of hockey (score, check, defend leads, etc) but the fact still remains you have a bunch of All-Star players on this team.

    Other established EU teams have three things going for them:

    1) They already have a base team in place that play within an established system.

    2) They are dropping a few NHL All-Star players into their established team to make it that much better.

    3) These NHL players have all played for their country at one time or another. They are FAMILAR with their team's system and style of play. Its the reason you see guys like Sundin, Salenie <sp> and other players play as well as they do in international play.

    Team Canada, we expect these guys to become a team right from the start without having played 1 game in an established system. Makes it difficult to win games against tougher competition like that.

    I really wish Olympics would stop using pro athletes...

  20. Quote Originally Posted by houseman
    the fact that other teams only have a few NHL players is reason enough they should be able to win games.

    Team Canada is nothing more than an All-Star team. Sure, Wayne has tried to put together a "team" that can play a full system of hockey (score, check, defend leads, etc) but the fact still remains you have a bunch of All-Star players on this team..
    I agree.

    Quote Originally Posted by houseman
    I really wish Olympics would stop using pro athletes...
    Not so sure I agree. I do and don't. It gets kind of confusing as to what is considered a "pro" and what is considered an "amatuer". In the "olden" days, team Russia was made of the players from the army or state. They did not receive an "income" for playing hockey. BUT - that's ALL they really did - play hockey. They were a communist country, and therefore didn't really get "paid" to do anything. Hence why they were professional athletes in the fact that their sole purpose is their sport, but amatuers because they weren't "paid" for it.

    It's a little different now with them playing in the NHL and such, but still. A lot of those Eurpeans who are not in the NHL are still playing in a "professional" league somewhere.

    Now what is considered a "professional"? (I'm actually asking a question here, as I'm not 100% sure - it seems a little "grey area" to me). Are track athletes who win money in track meets or get Nike endorsements considered professional? Why or why not?

    I like pro athletes in, because I'm then seeing the best of the best.
    But I like pro athletes out because I feel like I'm seeing people do it for the love of the sport and not money.

    It's a tough call, and I'm not so sure where I stand, and what can be considered fair for everyone.

  21. Quote Originally Posted by Sunder
    I agree.



    Not so sure I agree. I do and don't. It gets kind of confusing as to what is considered a "pro" and what is considered an "amatuer". In the "olden" days, team Russia was made of the players from the army or state. They did not receive an "income" for playing hockey. BUT - that's ALL they really did - play hockey. They were a communist country, and therefore didn't really get "paid" to do anything. Hence why they were professional athletes in the fact that their sole purpose is their sport, but amatuers because they weren't "paid" for it.

    It's a little different now with them playing in the NHL and such, but still. A lot of those Eurpeans who are not in the NHL are still playing in a "professional" league somewhere.

    Now what is considered a "professional"? (I'm actually asking a question here, as I'm not 100% sure - it seems a little "grey area" to me). Are track athletes who win money in track meets or get Nike endorsements considered professional? Why or why not?

    I like pro athletes in, because I'm then seeing the best of the best.
    But I like pro athletes out because I feel like I'm seeing people do it for the love of the sport and not money.

    It's a tough call, and I'm not so sure where I stand, and what can be considered fair for everyone.
    We have leagues for pro athletes. If they wanted Olympic limelight... don't turn pro.

    Definition of an amateur athlete is one that is not paid. Sponsorships and endorsements are different. Paid to play is a pro athlete.

  22. What about sports where there is not enough interest (or other reasons) to warrent a league? I think this could discriminate against athletes who play popular sports vs unpopular sports. (Maybe bobsled athletes would turn "pro" if there was an option to - why discriminate against hockey players because they have a fanbase that want to watch them do their "hobby").

    A professional actor only gets paid IF they win the part. Some actors sole source of income is from acting - there is no league. Same as a track athlete?

    A track athlete (as far as I know) only gets paid IF they win their events. (Maybe they don't, I honestly don't know - but I imagine a purse of some kind). What if this athlete's sole source of income is from doing track events? I would consider this guy a pro too.

    Unless they're working in a non-related field for 40+ hours per week, I think it gets grey as to whether it's their fulltime job or just a hobby.

    In old communist Russia, the hockey players played in fulltime league. This was their job - it's what they trained to do everyday. But they weren't "paid" to play hockey (or to do anything, since "pay" is different in a communist country than what we think of it. The State provides everything they need. <groan>.) But officially, they weren't professional hockey players, they were military men...military men who just happened to not really have to do anything relate to the military because they played hockey.

    Kinda like Ronnia Coleman being an amatuer because he's a police officer fulltime.

    Don't get me wrong, I actually do somewhat agree with Houseman. It's just that I'm not convinced on what is fair when it comes to international competition and the meaning of "pro".

    In sports where there is a pro league, it would be a letdown at the games. "Here's the best players our country has to offer that sucked too bad to make it any further." They're better than average, but worse than the worst professional players.

    Maybe we should have a 2nd catagory for all the events: 1 where everyone is allowed, and 1 where only people with a certain amount of hours at a fulltime job not related to their sport can enter. We do have "drug allowed" and "natural" BB competitions - but we also see how people will always try to cheat the system.

    Next thing you know, you'll have people on the New York Rangers saying they're amatuer hockey players because they don't get paid to play hockey - they do it for free. They only get their money through endorsements from Nike, etc. Granted, that may seem far fetched, but isn't that eerily what China/Russia did?

  23. looks like i get my Czech - Slovakia game afterall just not in the medal rounds like I had hoped. other games tomorrow are Russia - Canada, Swiss - Sweden and Finland - USA. should be an amazing day!

  24. Ovechkin > Canada.

    Sorry guys, perhaps not the best ever, but did you ever see Gretzky throw a player like Adam Foote off him?

  25. Ovechkin is great, no doubt about that.

    But I do remember people used to say that nobody would bodycheck Gretzky because he was a star. Not true - nobody could catch him. They tried and failed. Later, when Gretz got older and slowed down, hit got pummeled on hard.

    Time will tell on Ovechkin. I personally think he's better than Crosby, and I'd trade a lot to have him on my team.

    I do think Russia deserved to win, but it was kinda fishy considering Canada tied the game with 1 minute left, and the ref had that amazing speed to blow the whistle because "he lost sight of the puck". If only video reply could overturn a blind ref. That was what, Canada's 3rd goal that never counted in these games? Suspicious. But then again, it's hard for me to feel sorry for anyone who makes more in 1 year than I will in my lifetime... LoL

    I think the Finn/Russia game is going to be great though. I like both of those teams. I just don't want Sweden to go any further after their alleged dive against Slovakia.

  26. Quote Originally Posted by uhockey
    Ovechkin > Canada.

    Sorry guys, perhaps not the best ever, but did you ever see Gretzky throw a player like Adam Foote off him?
    Seriously, you need to get a clue.

    When this guy can come close to even SMELLING one of Gretzky's or Lemiuex's records than you can continue to talk.

    For now though, you might just wanna keep quiet.

  27. wait... the olympics are going on

  28. Quote Originally Posted by houseman
    Seriously, you need to get a clue.

    When this guy can come close to even SMELLING one of Gretzky's or Lemiuex's records than you can continue to talk.

    For now though, you might just wanna keep quiet.
    You can't compare the high scoring 80s records to today, at all.

    Regarding Gretzky, I dunno. Regarding Lemieux, he already plays better in his own zone than "super" Mario ever did. Mario's numbers are inflated by years on an awful team and his attitude throughout his career was a disgrace.

    I'll say one more thing and leave it at that......Ovechkin is already better than Lemieux becuase he actually loves the game.

  29. I remember hearing this about Mogilny, Federov, Bure...

    The best ever from a rookie?


    Thats ludicrous.

    Saying Mario's numbers are infalted because he was on a bad team is ridculous. If he was on a bad team is thats much HARDER to score. How can you pad your stats in hockey if your team sucks? Play an extra 4 minutes a game? Come on.

    Mario doen'st love the game? He comes back from cancer to play and buys the franchise to try and save it because its going down hill and you are saying he doesn't love the game? Jumping around like an idiot after you score everytime doens't mean you love the game more.
    For answers to board issues, read the Suggestion and News forum at the bottom of the main page.

  30. Quote Originally Posted by uhockey
    Ovechkin > Canada.

    Sorry guys, perhaps not the best ever, but did you ever see Gretzky throw a player like Adam Foote off him?
    No, but I saw the original "Next One" Lindros do it many times and look what happened....
    For answers to board issues, read the Suggestion and News forum at the bottom of the main page.
  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Anybody use Proscar or Propecia for DHT blocking?
    By alpha6164 in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 08-05-2003, 10:44 PM
  2. Anybody ever try cialis?
    By T-Bar in forum General Chat
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-13-2003, 04:12 AM
  3. Why doesn't anybody know how to spot??
    By mc1 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 02-24-2003, 12:56 AM
  4. Anybody watching LeBron's game?
    By LethalGunz34 in forum General Chat
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-08-2003, 09:24 PM
  5. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-01-2002, 06:06 PM
Log in
Log in