2009 College Football Season

Page 2 of 92 First 1234 ... Last

1. Sorry i'm late to the party fellas, but i seemed to have missed this thread initially.

I'm pulling hard for my Big East Connecticut Huskies as well this year. The football program really seems to be up and coming. My years there were dominated by college basketball (which i love as well, and we need to start a thread, hehe.) So......

GO GATORS!!

GO HUSKIES!!

Evolutionary Muse - Inspire to Evolve
    Legendary

2. Quote Originally Posted by Trauma1 View Post
    We all need to hook up for this game in gainesville. I shall be there, so i'll hit you and oldgator up when the time is upon us!
    LET"S DO IT!!!
    •   

3. Kiffin just can't help himself. He told SI that he fired a staffer for being late to pick him up from the airport. What a liar. Anybody else get the impression UT is starting to second-guess themselves on this hire?
    http://www.govolsxtra.com/news/2009/...fired-anybody/
    RTR.

4. Quote Originally Posted by rubberring View Post
    Anybody else get the impression UT is starting to second-guess themselves on this hire?
    Consensus yesterday on ESPN (reporting on Tennessee's violations under Kiffin) is that he's "in over his head", "nervous", and thus "acting out". Sounds like a little kid! There was even the comment that the only sound decision Al Davis made in the last 3 years was firing Kiffin.

You can tell in her voice that Pat Summit thinks he's an ass.

Yeah, I think Tennessee is more than a little worried.

September 19th can't get here fast enough for me. Urban doesn't talk trash, he gets even (i.e. Georgia). On 9/19/09 there'll be smoke coming from the scoreboard. My daughter (a junior) said the word on campus is that Gator fans will sing Rocky Top as soon as the Gators put 50 on 'em (responding to Lane's boost to sing Rocky Top after the Vols beat the Gators in the Swamp this year).
    •   

5. I'm in a couple of days late on this one....might as well add another SEC fan to the mix...Go Dawgs!!!

6. Quote Originally Posted by OldGator View Post
    Consensus yesterday on ESPN (reporting on Tennessee's violations under Kiffin) is that he's "in over his head", "nervous", and thus "acting out". Sounds like a little kid! There was even the comment that the only sound decision Al Davis made in the last 3 years was firing Kiffin.

You can tell in her voice that Pat Summit thinks he's an ass.

Yeah, I think Tennessee is more than a little worried.

September 19th can't get here fast enough for me. Urban doesn't talk trash, he gets even (i.e. Georgia). On 9/19/09 there'll be smoke coming from the scoreboard. My daughter (a junior) said the word on campus is that Gator fans will sing Rocky Top as soon as the Gators put 50 on 'em (responding to Lane's boost to sing Rocky Top after the Vols beat the Gators in the Swamp this year).
    I said it before, fired Raider coaches make horrible college coaches. Most people did not hear about what Bill Callahan did behind the scenes at Nebraska, but he did every thing he could to destroy the long held traditions that we were so proud of. I really feel sorry for Tennessee for hiring this little punk.

7. Quote Originally Posted by OldGator View Post
    My daughter (a junior) said the word on campus is that Gator fans will sing Rocky Top as soon as the Gators put 50 on 'em (responding to Lane's boost to sing Rocky Top after the Vols beat the Gators in the Swamp this year).
    I'll most definitely be sporting my old school UT smack shirt (my how times have changed): "Rocky Top you’ll always be second in the S-E-C, Good ol Rocky Top, second in the S-E-C"

8. Quote Originally Posted by Gator Alum 03 View Post
    I'll most definitely be sporting my old school UT smack shirt (my how times have changed): "Rocky Top you’ll always be second in the S-E-C, Good ol Rocky Top, second in the S-E-C"
    I have a classic smack talk UT t-shirt myself. You know i'll be sportin' it all year long. I've always loathed UT and most of their fans.....it's probably because every UF vs. UT game i've ever been to the UT crowd are ALWAYS a bunch of classless hillbilly dip****s.

I hope urban lays the hammer down on them this year in all regards. I can't wait to watch florida bury UT in the pile of sh*t they've already laid down for themselves.

Legendary

9. Quote Originally Posted by Trauma1 View Post
    I have a classic smack talk UT t-shirt myself. You know i'll be sportin' it all year long. I've always loathed UT and most of their fans.....it's probably because every UF vs. UT game i've ever been to the UT crowd are ALWAYS a bunch of classless hillbilly dip****s.

I hope urban lays the hammer down on them this year in all regards. I can't wait to watch florida bury UT in the pile of sh*t they've already laid down for themselves.
    What's funny is my impression of UT-UF and both sets of fans. Remember that I was an outsider on the UT campus as far as athletics went. I went to all the football games though - because I'm a huge football fan.

But I still maintain the worst behaved fans in Knoxville where you guys. That's not because I hate the Gators. You guys just brought more chodes and douches.

As a side note - the alums I still talk with are pretty much appalled at Kiffin at this point.

10. GO TEXAS TECH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11. Quote Originally Posted by jmh80 View Post
    What's funny is my impression of UT-UF and both sets of fans. Remember that I was an outsider on the UT campus as far as athletics went. I went to all the football games though - because I'm a huge football fan.

But I still maintain the worst behaved fans in Knoxville where you guys. That's not because I hate the Gators. You guys just brought more chodes and douches.

As a side note - the alums I still talk with are pretty much appalled at Kiffin at this point.
    You should have been to some of the games i was at in gainesville then. J, my wife had a grown man (with his family present) spit at her while at school during a UT/UF game ('96) in knoxville when they lost. This was not provoked either, my wife is very mild tempered. That classless crap says it all really. Even in my profession, that's one thing i don't tolerate AT ALL, being spit at.

These type of feelings are subjective though, but in my experiences, i've dealt with nothing but morons from UT. I try not to stereotype fans like that, but i call it like i see it, J.

You're the only UT alum i like.....hahaha.

Edit: I don't deny we have some asshole fans either, because i know we do, as does everyone. It's part of the game in the end.

Legendary

12. jmh you still predicting a 2010 National Championship for your Canes? I remember you and Desmond Howard predicted that UM was 2 years away. You still feel good about that? How do you think Miami will start the '09 season? I see a potential 0-4 start in your future :

Sept. 7th at Florida State
    Sept. 17th Georgia Tech
    Sept. 26th at Virginia Tech
    Oct 3rd Oklahoma

(yes our schedule is a bit softer this year )

13. And for the record, i'm now enrolled at USF here in tampa to attain my masters level (possibly doctorate) ARNP. Does this mean i have to like the bulls now, too?

They actually have my old highschool colors.

Legendary

14. Quote Originally Posted by Trauma1 View Post
    And for the record, i'm now enrolled at USF here in tampa to attain my masters level (possibly doctorate) ARNP. Does this mean i have to like the bulls now, too?

They actually have my old highschool colors.
    Heh. Do me a favor and slap the first mofo you see on campus with a "Grothe > Tebow" shirt on...if those still in fact exist.

15. Quote Originally Posted by Gator Alum 03 View Post
    Heh. Do me a favor and slap the first mofo you see on campus with a "Grothe > Tebow" shirt on...if those still in fact exist.
    Lol, will do!

I'm wearing my 'Super Tebow' shirt everywhere, hahahaha!

Legendary

16. Well, my Noles will be opening the season with the U again. I think that sucks, as its always a better game when both teams have jelled a little bit. I'll be there though - season tickets in hand.

I'm especially looking forward to the USF game at the end of Sept too.......should be a fun one.

And of course - I'm hoping for UF to be undefeated when we roll into Hogtown next November. We are due for another win in the swamp!!! I know the Gates have had their run, and have dominated the series of late - but these things never last. Each of the big 3 from FL have had their runs at the top.

Go Noles.

17. Quote Originally Posted by Nole1 View Post
    We are due for another win in the swamp!!!
    Doubt that being "due" will have much to do with playing the defending champs at home with 90% of their starters returning.

Being "competitive" would help, however.

18. Quote Originally Posted by OldGator View Post
    Being "competitive" would help, however.
    Ouch.
    RTR.

19. Quote Originally Posted by rubberring View Post
    Ouch.
    Understand UF/FSU is Hatfield/McCoys and we took worse Nole lumps when they dominated. And "Nole 1" is right when he says things won't stay this way forever in the state of Florida. Noles won't lay low forever (neither will "Canes). It just ain't happening for either of them in 2009.

Ya gotta get while the gettin's good 'cause you can be sure they're keeping their knives sharp for Gator blood for when they're back on their game!

I don't pretend to know much about your Bama/Auburn rivalry but I would find it hard to believe there is a more "punch you in the mouth" rivalry than UF/FSU. It seems even the kids on campus dislike each other. My daughter once met an FSU student and told me he was "very nice and extremely cute". I said "So you like him?" And she looked at me like I was nuts and said "Dad he's a Nole" - like he belonged to the Taliban or something!

Just another thing I love about college football - the fanatical sense of school loyalty!

20. Quote Originally Posted by OldGator View Post
    I don't pretend to know much about your Bama/Auburn rivalry but I would find it hard to believe there is a more "punch you in the mouth" rivalry than UF/FSU.
    OG, don't take offense... but I grew up in Mobile, AL, (which is very close to the Florida border), so believe me when I tell you there's absolutely no comparison to the Iron Bowl. Both ESPN and Yahoo voted it the best rivalry in college football, with Ohio State-Michigan ranked second. In a survey done by Sports Illustrated it ranked #2 after the Red Sox-Yankees as the greatest rivalry in ANY sport.

Don't get me wrong, UF - FSU is a great rivalry game, but I've never seen anything like what Alabama and Auburn fans do to each other 365 days a year. Pure hatred. It's actually pretty ridiculous.

I laugh at the guys out here who call Cal vs. Stanford the "Big Game."

Rivals.com College Football - Voice of the Fan: Iron Bowl wins close vote
    RTR.

21. Quote Originally Posted by rubberring View Post
    I laugh at the guys out here who call Cal vs. Stanford the "Big Game."
    Like Harvard and Yale.

22. Quote Originally Posted by OldGator View Post
    Like Harvard and Yale.
    Hey!!!!! I used to live 20 minutes from yale.

Now i'm technically a USF "Bull" right now based on my current scholastic involvement, but i'll ALWAYS be a florida gator at heart!!

Legendary

23. This was a clip posted by a good friend on mine that made a note on facebook about the gators. He is a huge fan(i hate him cuz he had tickets to go the the SEC champ. this year but i couldn't!) and we both really liked this video...Tebows motivational pregame/halftime talks are really something special and i feel its what will drive the gators into another incredible season!

ps i am not a gators fan and will probably not root for them as soon as tebow and spikes are gone after this year

[vid]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n76WDzJ_g-Y[/vid]
    PEScience Representative
    Don't miss out on the next deal:
    http://pescience.com/insider
    Protein Backed by Science: http://selectprotein.com

24. Great contribution, thanks bolt!

Legendary

25. Kiffin is a dud. Nearly all the SC guys I know feel Kiffin held back the offense - and most recently during the John David Booty era. He is stubborn. All the blame should fall right on him (and Carroll for being Mr. Nice Guy) when they lost to UCLA in 2006 - propelling the Gators to the NC and USC to the Rosebowl where both respectively destroyed the big ten.

Kiffin gets popular because he stands up (or passively aggressively 'stood' up) to Al Davis who is the most unpopular GM in sports. The story has poor Kiffin as a victim. I seriously doubt Kiffin can rebuild a team. Frankly, his Southern Cal offenses underachieved and didn't have heart as a unit. Individual explosiveness (Bush, Steve Smith, White), crappy Pac-10, and a smart college QB in Leinart was the team. So when Kiffin says, 'It's a guarantee that nobody will be better conditioned and outwork the Vols' so long as he is there is a joke I say. No way they outwork Florida or Alabama, no way. Meyer, Miles, and Saban will make him look like a highschool coach. To win the SEC these days, 1 loss is the max. No Lane Kiffin fully led team ever loses less than 3 games. Gene Chizik is the better hire although Tuberville should not have lost his job.

although still according to wiki, he resigned without pressure...
    Tuberville fired Tony Franklin as the offensive coordinator of Auburn on October 8, 2008. After the 2008 season, with a 5–7 record highlighted by losses to Vanderbilt, West Virginia, and a final 36–0 loss to Alabama, he resigned from Auburn.[2] Auburn athletic director Jay Jacobs claimed that Tuberville voluntarily resigned. Jacobs added: "To say the least, I was a little shocked. But after three times of asking him would he change his mind, he convinced me that the best thing for him and his family and for this football program was for him to possibly take a year off and take a step back."[3] With his departure, Tuberville will be paid a pro-rated buyout of $5.1 million. The payments include $3 million within 30 days of his resignation date and the remaining amount within a year later.

26. Quote Originally Posted by CEDeoudes59 View Post
    So when Kiffin says, 'It's a guarantee that nobody will be better conditioned and outwork the Vols' so long as he is there is a joke I say. No way they outwork Florida or Alabama, no way. Meyer, Miles, and Saban will make him look like a highschool coach. To win the SEC these days, 1 loss is the max. No Lane Kiffin fully led team ever loses less than 3 games. Gene Chizik is the better hire although Tuberville should not have lost his job.

although still according to wiki, he resigned without pressure...
    Solid post. But yeah... Tubbs was definitely "paid to resign." Everyone around the situation is aware of it, although it became a strange "hush-hush" situation to save the university's image. Makes me wonder if both Auburn and Tubbs both have some serious dirt on each other. Maybe it will all come out when he accepts the Miami job at the end of next season (right, jmh?), after Shannon is let go... or when he shocks everyone and comes out west to coach a Pac-10 team!
    RTR.

27. Quote Originally Posted by rubberring View Post
    Solid post. But yeah... Tubbs was definitely "paid to resign." Everyone around the situation is aware of it, although it became a strange "hush-hush" situation to save the university's image. Makes me wonder if both Auburn and Tubbs both have some serious dirt on each other. Maybe it will all come out when he accepts the Miami job at the end of next season (right, jmh?), after Shannon is let go... or when he shocks everyone and comes out west to coach a Pac-10 team!
    That would be freaking hilarious.

I'm just really pissed about Sanchez's decision to go into the pro's this year. I think it's a mistake.
    ADVANCED MUSCLE SCIENCE
    Strongest On The Market
    RECOVERBRO: Est. Post #3222

28. Quote Originally Posted by CopyCat View Post
    That would be freaking hilarious.

I'm just really pissed about Sanchez's decision to go into the pro's this year. I think it's a mistake.
    I think it was a very smart bussiness decision on his part. With Bradford and McCoy staying, he is going to be laughing all the way to the bank.

29. Quote Originally Posted by AFOX View Post
    I think it was a very smart bussiness decision on his part. With Bradford and McCoy staying, he is going to be laughing all the way to the bank.
    Yes, but I think he was blinded by the money and the chance to play "pro", now. He only started one full season with USC because of his knee injury the year prior. Simply put, he won't be ready for the pro's. He should have stayed for his senior year.
    ADVANCED MUSCLE SCIENCE
    Strongest On The Market
    RECOVERBRO: Est. Post #3222
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. 2010 College Football Season
    By plenny in forum Sports Talk
    Replies: 2592
    Last Post: 01-30-2012, 11:19 AM
  2. 2009 Formula One season
    By Delta Force in forum General Chat
    Replies: 5