I NEED a sauce to put over chicken and rice

sundevil04

Awards
  • Established
I've eaten chicken and brown rice everyday for YEARS! It's one of my favorite meals but I'd like to find a sauce to put over it, any ideas?

Nabisco

Nabisco

Awards
  • Established
Orange Sauce is a good one, or even a low sodium soy sauce if you're into the Asian flavors. Those never seem to get old to me, and the bonus is you can use the same sauces on veggies as well. This is key for me since I combine chicken, rice, and veggies all in the same container.

warnerve

Awards
  • Established
agree with the guy above, and i also like to use low sodium cream of chicken, made extra thick as a gravy type thing

kruzedgar

kruzedgar

Awards
I put Pesto on mine! You only need just over a tea spoon full on top. Dont stir it in just take little bits with each fork full. There are quite a few flavours, smoked aubergine is my favourite. Its also made with olive oil so lots of nice fats!

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
I use Newman's Own oil and vinagarette salad dressing. Fairly low cal with most cals coming from the olive oil. Works GREAT in tuna and rice as well.

sundevil04

Awards
  • Established
Orange sauce would be great but all I ever seem to find is marinade, is there any particular brand you use?

Ziricote

Ziricote

Awards
  • Established
How about you slap some curry sauce in that sucker.

0x29a

Awards
Orange sauce would be great but all I ever seem to find is marinade, is there any particular brand you use?
make your own:

1-2 Tablespoons soy (or terriaki)
1/2 - 1 Tablespoon orange juice
1/4 - 1/2 tsp peel or zest ( most of the flavor comes from here)

*oil if needed.

* 1 tsp of honey or sugar if you want it sweet. You can also try 1/2 packet of splenda

* 1/8-/14 tsp red pepper to make it hot

Simmer the sauce at medium to medium low for 5 mins or so to reduce it.

That would cover a typical plate of stir fry (about 6oz chicken and 3/4-1 cup rice).

I cook it almost twice a week. To change it up, add fresh ginger and lemon instead of orange.

There are many many ways to spice up a simple sauce like this. The key is to simmer and reduce the liquid over low heat to thicken it up. You can also add some corn starch (<1/2 tsp) to thicken (dissolve in small amount of cold water before adding to sauce).

Last edited:

sundevil04

Awards
  • Established
make your own:

1-2 Tablespoons soy (or terriaki)
1/2 - 1 Tablespoon orange juice
1/4 - 1/2 tsp peel or zest ( most of the flavor comes from here)

*oil if needed.

* 1 tsp of honey or sugar if you want it sweet. You can also try 1/2 packet of splenda

* 1/8-/14 tsp red pepper to make it hot

Simmer the sauce at medium to medium low for 5 mins or so to reduce it.

That would cover a typical plate of stir fry (about 6oz chicken and 3/4-1 cup rice).

I cook it almost twice a week. To change it up, add fresh ginger and lemon instead of orange.

There are many many ways to spice up a simple sauce like this. The key is to simmer and reduce the liquid over low heat to thicken it up. You can also add some corn starch (<1/2 tsp) to thicken (dissolve in small amount of cold water before adding to sauce).
you ROCK!

ich1ban

ich1ban

Awards
what the heck is "orange sauce"? Orange colored sauce? sauce made out of oranges? rofl

uhmmm you can put..a Asian sauce (mix 1/4soy sauce, 3/4vinegar, garlic, crushed peppers) and cook your chicken with it.

or, spicy sweet and sauce you can buy at some Asian food markets. They use it for egg rolls too.

ketchup is a nice too :D u get omega-3 lol

Cub

Cub

Banned
Awards
  • Established
If I'm in a hurry in the morning I'll just pour olive oil and soy sauce over it. The soy sauce adds a nice flavour and the olive oil means it isn't dry :)

nelix

Awards
  • Established
I use mustard seeds, some random oil and random vinegar (I like to mix it up for flavour).
Or cook up some beans in tomato souse, chillis etc.

asianbabe

asianbabe

Awards
  • Established
what the heck is "orange sauce"? Orange colored sauce? sauce made out of oranges? rofl

uhmmm you can put..a Asian sauce (mix 1/4soy sauce, 3/4vinegar, garlic, crushed peppers) and cook your chicken with it.

or, spicy sweet and sauce you can buy at some Asian food markets. They use it for egg rolls too.

ketchup is a nice too :D u get omega-3 lol
Lol you must be able to read my mind I was going to say the same thing :stick:

Fish sauce is mad.. so is wasabi and soy, and some avocado for fats

Never tried orange sauce... lemon chicken yes, but not orange, maybe you crazy americans like to be different.:p

ich1ban

ich1ban

Awards

Never tried orange sauce... lemon chicken yes, but not orange, maybe you crazy americans like to be different.:p
Haha. Yes one of the the effects of DCP on top of helping with my fatloss :p

Some viet's mix fish sauce and vinegar, its pretty damn good. Goes almost with anything, very wierd but delicious. It goes with eggrolls, chicken, meat, and salads. lol.

What do you eat with wasabi and soy sauce? I only eat sushi with it. My friend thought it was avocado/guacamole and ate a spoonful, wish i had a camera. :D

AppliedBaby

AppliedBaby

Awards
This tastes almost like barbeque sauce but better, and healthy

Worstechire sauce, sugar free ketchup, 1 packet splenda, and apple cider vinigar mixed....its delicious...even works as a salad dressing

Rodzilla

Board Sponsor
Awards
I just put supercarb over rice/tuna and it was ****ing awesome.

nelix

Awards
  • Established

When I forget to plan a dinner it goes something like:
Wok + random oil of the week + chicken + random veggies + fish sauce

GymRat5972

GymRat5972

Awards
asian soy with sesame is awsome on chicken.
only takes about a tablespoon to marinade and adds a good flavor, add some pepper flakes to spice it up

Last edited:

Ant.

Cutting Sucks!
Awards
I put salsa on mine sometimes for some added flavor.

Highlanda01602

Awards
  • Established
All too often I use BBQ sauce (bad, bad! sugars...), but lately I've really enjoyed the taste of low sodium gravy. Generally, the only downside to it is the sodium (virtually fat-free and carb-free), so pick one that has 50% sodium. I don't think you'll be dissapointed! Simple, yet... delicious.

GymRat5972

GymRat5972

Awards
Tried some HOISIN GARLIC sauce last night on brown rice and chicken breast and it was awsome.

AnonyMoose

AnonyMoose

Awards
  • Established
non/low -fat pre-made gravy - and lightly