Quinoa

adrenaline

adrenaline

Awards
Not really a recipe, but its a source of protein and not many people know about it:

Quinoa is a very highly nutritious food that very few people know about. It’s miscategorized as a grain, but it’s actually a seed. Quinoa (pronounced Keen-wah) is an ancient food known by the Incas as the “mother of grains”. They used the seed of this plant as one of their chief sources of nutrition and has been cultivated in South American Andes since at least 3,000 B.C.

Quinoa is considered a high-protein “grain”, 12-18% protein. The protein in quinoa is considered to be a complete protein due to the presence of all 8 essential amino acids. This makes it extremely well balanced for human and animal nutrition. Quinoa is higher in lysine than wheat (lysine is an amino acid that’s scarce in the vegetable kingdom), along with cystine and methionine-amino acids typically low in other grains. The quinoa seed is has a lower sodium content and is higher in calcium, phosphorous, magnesium, potassium, copper, manganese, and zinc than wheat, barley, or corn. It’s particularly high in iron with just a 1/2 cup containing 8mg and a hefty 5 g of fiber.

It also contains Vitamin E, several B Vitamins and albumen, a protein that is found in egg whites, blood serum, and many plant and animal tissues. The seeds are gluten-free which makes this a nutritious and flavorful alternative grain for those with gluten sensitivity. Quinoa would be a worthy addition to anyone’s diet, supplying variety as well as good nutrition.
Preparing and Eating Quinoa:

You can use quinoa to make flour, soup, put on cold in salads or substitute for rice in any recipe. The seeds cook very quickly, in only 15 minutes. Just take 1 cup of quinoa, add 2 cups of water, put them in a pan. Bring the water to a boil. Once the water begins to boil, cover the pan, reduce the heat to low and let it cook for about 15 min. That’s it! Quinoa can be found in most health food stores or you can order online.

crazyfool405

crazyfool405

Banned
Awards
  • Established
its a completer protein

Very good flavor too kind of has a nutty flavor to it. yuou have to cook it right though

the macro profile is very impressive especially for a half cup cooked!

foolishpleasure

Awards
I add one half cup of Organic Quinoa Flakes to my PW shake. Excellent nutient profile.

jdg487

jdg487

Awards
  • Established
I love me some quinoa, but at the grocery stores around me it is super expensive. Luckily I found a good deal online that's as cheap as can be.