3 Perfect Post Workout Meals

  1. 3 Perfect Post Workout Meals


    I'm not sure whether this was posted yet, but I came across this article on the Muscle & Fitness website. Just thought I'd share.

    MUSHROOM CHICKEN PIZZA
    1 Boboli Whole-Wheat Thin Pizza Crust
    1⁄8 cup spaghetti sauce
    1⁄4 cup grated fat-free mozzarella cheese
    6 oz. cooked chicken breast, cubed or shredded
    3 medium mushrooms, sliced

    Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Slice pizza crust into thirds and discard or save two pieces. Place remaining crust on a cookie sheet or other ovenproof pan and top with spaghetti sauce, cheese, chicken and mushrooms. Bake for 810 minutes or until heated through.

    Nutrition Facts: 526 calories, 66 g protein, 52 g carbs, 8 g fat

    TURKEY CHILI
    1⁄2 lb. lean ground turkey breast (93% lean)
    14.5-oz. can diced tomatoes
    1⁄2 cup tomato paste
    1⁄2 cup water
    1 cup kidney beans, drained and rinsed
    Nonstick cooking spray Coat the bottom of a stockpot with nonstick cooking spray. Add turkey and brown over medium-high heat, stirring frequently to break into small pieces. When fully cooked, drain fat, stir in remaining ingredients and heat through.

    Nutrition Facts: 642 calories, 70 g protein, 74 g carbs, 12 g fat

    CHICKEN GREEN BEAN CASSEROLE
    1 cup chopped fresh green beans, ends trimmed
    12.5-oz. can chicken breast, drained
    10.75-oz. can 98% fat-free cream of mushroom soup
    1⁄2 cup fat-free milk
    Nonstick cooking spray

    Coat a large skillet with nonstick cooking spray and place over medium heat. Add green beans and cook, stirring occasionally, until beans soften. Stir in chicken, soup and milk, and heat through.

    Nutrition Facts: 606 calories, 72 g protein, 37 g carbs, 14 g fat

  2. UKStrength
    UKStrength's Avatar

    Cheers for the recipes mate, they look well nice!

    I usually go with a plain old chicken salad with porridge oats and whey combo, I'll have to give one of these a whirl!

  3. None of these meals would be good right after a workout. PWO should only consist of whey protein and a sugar source (dextrose/malto, waxy maize).

    Now, these meals would be fine on a bulk an hour or so AFTER your PWO meal.

    Just clarifying!
    •   
       


  4. Quote Originally Posted by Joshua86 View Post
    None of these meals would be good right after a workout. PWO should only consist of whey protein and a sugar source (dextrose/malto, waxy maize).

    Now, these meals would be fine on a bulk an hour or so AFTER your PWO meal.

    Just clarifying!
    Different strokes for different folks I reckon, not everyone wants that insulin spike right after their workout. There are some new articles that question the whole post-workout sugar surge.
    "I am legally blind and if I can Squat,deadlift and over all get myself to the gym then anyone can get their a$$ in gear and get strong!!" - malleus25
    WHITE WHALE!

  5. Quote Originally Posted by Joshua86 View Post
    None of these meals would be good right after a workout. PWO should only consist of whey protein and a sugar source (dextrose/malto, waxy maize).

    Now, these meals would be fine on a bulk an hour or so AFTER your PWO meal.

    Just clarifying!
    I appreciate you clarifying. I only copied and pasted the recipes, but should've included the rest of the article, which did state that you'd be prepping and cooking these meals an hour after your PWO shake.
  6. UKStrength
    UKStrength's Avatar

    Quote Originally Posted by SilentBob187 View Post
    Different strokes for different folks I reckon, not everyone wants that insulin spike right after their workout. There are some new articles that question the whole post-workout sugar surge.
    I agree. Eating a source of (good bioavailability) protein with some source of carbohydrate (low or high GI) is more important than anything else.

    Most guys on here have good pre and peri-workout nutrition anyway, in many ways this is the more important factor.

  7. Very good recipes. I would certainly eat all of those pwo ( about an hour after)

  8. I love big whole meals post-workout! Thanks for the recipes!
  9. UKStrength
    UKStrength's Avatar

    Quote Originally Posted by Irish Cannon View Post
    I love big whole meals post-workout! Thanks for the recipes!
    Yeah can't beat it mate. Often I'll not bother with a shake post-workout if I'm training at home (e.g. boxing or circuits) and just have a full meal.

    Much more satisfying and you get a greater boost in energy expenditure (from TEF) so more cals burnt during the day! Good for when you're cutting

  10. These recipes are solid, thanks.

  11. As most have stated, a protein shake immediately after workout is optimal. Usually that's not considered a "meal", it's a Post Work Out supplement. (Just to clarify).

    I'll be making that chili tomorrow for my 1st "meal" following my workout. Good stuff man, thanks for these!

  12. I just made some turkey chili and frankly, it's pretty good. Quick and easy like Paris Hilton, yet tastes good.

    Thanks for the idea.

  13. Quote Originally Posted by Joshua86 View Post
    None of these meals would be good right after a workout. PWO should only consist of whey protein and a sugar source (dextrose/malto, waxy maize).

    Now, these meals would be fine on a bulk an hour or so AFTER your PWO meal.

    Just clarifying!
    all those recipes look damn good,,,,,,,,,,,esp the chili!!!

    i use protein and oats, PWO...........

  14. One of my favourite PWO meals is Moroccan Chicken Stew Recipe : Recipezaar

    Swap breast for thighs, and add in Cardamom.

  15. Quote Originally Posted by SilentBob187 View Post
    Different strokes for different folks I reckon, not everyone wants that insulin spike right after their workout. There are some new articles that question the whole post-workout sugar surge.
    yep.

  16. You're all welcome for the recipes. Let me know how they turn out. I'm anxious to try them on my own.

  17. same here...but lately, ive been eating (2) Danon light-n-fit yogurts and then 40g milk protein isolate. Perfect amount of sugars and protein that has both slow digesting (whey) and longer digesting (casein)

    im out

    Quote Originally Posted by Kristofer68SS View Post
    all those recipes look damn good,,,,,,,,,,,esp the chili!!!

    i use protein and oats, PWO...........

  18. Quote Originally Posted by msucurt View Post
    same here...but lately, ive been eating (2) Danon light-n-fit yogurts and then 40g milk protein isolate. Perfect amount of sugars and protein that has both slow digesting (whey) and longer digesting (casein)

    im out
    Sorry that these recipes don't seem appealing to you. Just figured it'd help since most of us here are needing to up our protein and caloric intake, including complex carbohydrates. I'm careful about what kind of yogurts I consume because I'm sure there is plenty of unnecessary sugar in most brands.

  19. Quote Originally Posted by AmericnMuscle View Post
    Sorry that these recipes don't seem appealing to you. Just figured it'd help since most of us here are needing to up our protein and caloric intake, including complex carbohydrates. I'm careful about what kind of yogurts I consume because I'm sure there is plenty of unnecessary sugar in most brands.
    simple sugars would be best taken pwo, no?
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. pre and post workout meals
    By To0l8er in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-02-2009, 09:55 AM
  2. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-10-2009, 07:39 PM
  3. Pre/ Post Workout Meals
    By Domenic in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 04-04-2008, 04:46 PM
  4. Post-Workout Recovery Meals
    By jjohn in forum Bulking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-16-2006, 12:24 PM
  5. How do these pre/post workout meals look?
    By JohnGafnea in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-15-2003, 08:30 PM
Log in
Log in